[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Michigan  (Read 60364 times)

tower912

• All American
Michigan
« on: April 10, 2020, 06:54:30 PM »
Ridiculously hard hit.   Detroit being a hub for international flights from both Asia and Europe hurt.     Covid was here long before anybody knew.   And it came in on the international flights.   The primaries were here on March 10 and in the weeks leading up to those primaries, there were a whole bunch of rallies.   First case documented on March 10.    Since then, the fit has hit the shan.   Detroit is exceptionally hard hit, and it is exposing the economic inequalities that have existed forever.    The economically disadvantaged African American population is getting pounded.   Neighborhoods that have many houses with the water shut off.   No major grocery stores close by, so most food is either got at the corner party store or by taking a bus for a 1/2 hour ride to a chain grocery.   Both lead to more contamination.    Many with untreated co-morbidities.   Heart disease, hypertension, diabetes.      Having to take a bus to a minimum wage job without health care.   In other words, a perfect storm against those who have already been left behind.     
     That woman,   Governor Gretchen,  responded quickly and aggressively.   Schools closed.   Social distancing.   Non-essential businesses closed.   Gatherings larger than 10 banned.    Banning driving between your home downstate and your cottage up north.   Setting up field hospitals.     She is acting like a stern, angry mom of teenagers.      Which is OK.    Up until now, most people endured it.   
    But it is now a study in human nature and what all of the governors are going to face going forward.    Extending the shut down for another 3 weeks is causing some who have formerly backed her to start questioning.    How long is long enough?    Why close down access to gardening utensils in a Meijer, Target, Wal-Mart or Costco?   The customers are already there for their groceries.     What is an essential business?     What about no-contact jobs like landscaping?    What about letting some construction companies finish the already started houses enough that they don't rot in the weather?    Why not let walking golfers golf?     Why is a packed parking lot at Wal-Mart considered safe, but baseball practice not?   What is an essential road construction project?   Why can't we go to our cabin in the woods?
     It will be interesting to see how this is handled.    Cave to nagging or stand firm?     And the sudden blowback after the isolation extension tells me that eventually society is going to accept the risk and start interacting.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Silent Verbal

• All American
Re: Michigan
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 07:17:47 PM »
Has there been blowback in Michigan?  That’s interesting.  Most shelter in place orders seem to have been extended to May 1, and most Americans seem willing to concede that April is a lost month.  But if those orders are extended past mid-May, I’m guessing people the country over will begin to grow restless.

In Chicago, “angry” Mayor Lori Lightfoot has become a meme.  We’ll see how funny Chicagoans think it is when the Midwest gets its first string of 70s and sunny type weather.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 07:29:26 PM »
The blowback has begun.   I don't know how organized it will become.   And it may again become a Detroit vs outstate argument.    Since it has been much less impactful outside of metro Detroit, the restlessness is stating in the west and north.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

tower912

• All American

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 11:34:50 AM »
A big issue is that people outside the cities watch news that minimizes the outbreak and is actively pushing to end the isolation.

It will get ugly in Wisconsin before too long.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 11:44:15 AM »
Jockey, it will be the same arguments taking place on this board.    Scoop is ahead of the curve.   

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 12:32:03 PM »
Not in Michigan, but I've noticed the last week that parking lots at stores, and fast-food/restaurants are starting to be more packed.

2-weeks ago, a Walmart or Grocery store would have had a handful of cars in the parking lot and more employees than customers in the store. This week, places look like pre-pandemic level business. Similarly, lots of people playing basketball, or soccer/cricket in the local parks.

So people are getting antsy and starting to not comply.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 12:43:51 PM »
Not in Michigan, but I've noticed the last week that parking lots at stores, and fast-food/restaurants are starting to be more packed.

2-weeks ago, a Walmart or Grocery store would have had a handful of cars in the parking lot and more employees than customers in the store. This week, places look like pre-pandemic level business. Similarly, lots of people playing basketball, or soccer/cricket in the local parks.

I have noticed more people venturing out but way more compliance to social distancing.  Case in point I just waited at our local market in a one in and one out situation—we all stood six feet apart, in masks and had a nice conversation while we waited 20 mins or so.  I actually feel better going out today vs 5 weeks ago since people are all taking this seriously.

Makes me feel like a little relaxation when the time is right can work.   

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 12:45:16 PM »
I think May 1 is going to be as patient as most folks will be. Can't wait on NYC to be virus-free. Not fair to Escanaba or Butte, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 01:10:40 PM »
I think May 1 is going to be as patient as most folks will be. Can't wait on NYC to be virus-free. Not fair to Escanaba or Butte, aina?

Outdoor fookin under the moonlight in Escanaba, aina.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 01:57:17 PM »
Just went hiking at a county park.  Parking lot overflowing.   Saw 50 people in 45 minutes on narrow trails.   Same story

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/04/despite-criticism-gov-whitmer-defends-revised-stay-at-home-order.html

This is actually setting up like the debates on our board.   
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 02:40:46 PM by tower912 »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 03:03:43 PM »

I've actually seen the opposite. The 1st week of the stay at home order in Wisconsin, grocery stores were packed.

Way, way fewer people when I go now. Less than a normal crowd before covid. Once people realized there weren't shortages, they respected the order.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 03:20:07 PM »
I've actually seen the opposite. The 1st week of the stay at home order in Wisconsin, grocery stores were packed.

Way, way fewer people when I go now. Less than a normal crowd before covid. Once people realized there weren't shortages, they respected the order.

I went today and it was actually tolerable. And the TP aisle was fully stocked. Enough to give you some hope, that.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 04:23:46 PM »
Talked about this in other threads. Tomorrow will be the first you see of people breaking quarantine in mass to hang out.

After the initial stay at home are extended into may, and then June, you will see tons of push back and outright defiance.

People have been cooped up in houses for 5 months. When we start getting consistent 60 degree and higher weather, the quarantine will be forgotten.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2020, 04:28:43 PM »
Talked about this in other threads. Tomorrow will be the first you see of people breaking quarantine in mass to hang out.

After the initial stay at home are extended into may, and then June, you will see tons of push back and outright defiance.

People have been cooped up in houses for 5 months. When we start getting consistent 60 degree and higher weather, the quarantine will be forgotten.

I agree 100%. Not by all, but a whole lot of people will start being careless.

However I won't be one of those people. We go walking every day. We will be biking every day once the weather turns. But those are isolating activities and it is the way we will exist as long as necessary.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2020, 04:34:40 PM »

Great, and once that happens we can start our clocks over again, except this time with enforcement from authorities.  People are stupid.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2020, 09:56:13 AM »
https://www.freep.com/story/news/health/2020/04/13/beaumont-antibody-study-blood-tests/2981515001/

Beaumont group is going big on the blood testing, checking for anti-bodies, looking for asymptomatic carriers, etc.    38,000 employees, going to test any who volunteer.       IMO, this is what needs to be happening everywhere.    I have said elsewhere and will say it again that I believe that obtaining and processing the plasma of those who have had it and have recovered is going to be the key to finding a treatment that brings the mortality rate under 1% and allows the country to open back up to a degree of normalcy with a vaccine to come this autumn.   

https://www.freep.com/story/news/health/2020/04/13/urgent-care-centers-coronavirus/2973525001/

And this anecdote tracks with my department's own anecdotal evidence.    Our total number of medical alarms is actually down compared to a year ago by 5-8%.    Part of that may be due fewer traffic accidents.    Part of it may be that some people don't want to go where all the sick people are.   
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 10:01:14 AM by tower912 »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2020, 12:30:24 AM »

You were wrong on your prediction for yesterday. I predict you will be wrong about the others as well.

A handful of nuts demanding the right to kill their fellow Michigan-ers isn't a trend or a movement. It's just a handful of selfish nuts.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2020, 06:31:08 AM »
It is breaking down along political lines here, like everywhere else and about everything else.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 11:05:20 AM by tower912 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2020, 11:05:55 AM »
Massive protests in Lansing.   The party begins.   

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2020, 03:20:55 PM »
tower - I see "the protest" was completely funded by Betsy DeVos (i.e. the DeVos Family Foundation) and there's photos of people in Stars & Bars Jackets walking among the cars. 
Looks like a backfire?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2020, 03:26:01 PM »
It depends on the ultimate goal.   I would be surprised if Gretchen backed down.   Think strict angry mom of teenagers.   Now the nagging and whining has started and that always changes the mom's mind.

But they got out of the house and had their say.   Hopefully, they all got together for a giant  group hug before heading home.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2020/04/15/gretchen-whitmer-protest-michigan-capitol-coronavirus/5136070002/

It will be quite ironic if this causes a spike in cases in outstate Michigan and the quarantine is lengthened.     
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 05:24:07 PM by tower912 »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2020, 04:06:33 PM »

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2020, 04:18:08 PM »
Upside and downside of a battleground state like Michigan.  Upside is that federal politicians will take more notice of you (as Buzz would say "in a good way")

Downside is that you get astro-turfing and other frenzies from both parties trying to win the state come November.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2020, 04:40:19 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/g1x30z/protestors_against_the_stayathome_order_in/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Should be illegal to intentionally block a hospital

I say let the nuts out to play. When centrist independent voters see this, I don't think they are gonna embrace it.

feedback