collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Michigan  (Read 60488 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: Michigan
« Reply #400 on: April 11, 2021, 08:04:43 AM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #401 on: April 11, 2021, 09:32:13 AM »
Probably an interesting article.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #402 on: April 11, 2021, 09:54:21 AM »
COVID fatigue, skepticism, politics.   Nothing new.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #403 on: April 11, 2021, 10:03:20 AM »
Here is a non-subscription article that seems to say similar things:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/11/politics/covid-michigan-surge-gretchen-whitmer/index.html

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #404 on: April 11, 2021, 10:05:16 AM »
Sorry on Twitter it wasn’t restricted.  Here is the not direct link. 

https://twitter.com/adriannemerk/status/1380990218019467265?s=21

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #405 on: April 13, 2021, 09:11:55 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/Quicktake/status/1381674358402383874

Doing great here.  Good for Gretch in trying to get more vaccine with hopes of getting things back under control.

Biden’s team response: pound sand Michigan and go back inside. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #406 on: April 13, 2021, 09:19:35 AM »
Because giving Michigan more vaccine doesn't help in the short term.  That wouldn't show impact for a month.

For them to slow the spread now, they need to clamp down.  So Biden's team is right about that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #407 on: April 13, 2021, 09:45:24 AM »
Because giving Michigan more vaccine doesn't help in the short term.  That wouldn't show impact for a month.

For them to slow the spread now, they need to clamp down.  So Biden's team is right about that.

Is there not almost immediate benefit after getting even the first dose?  Obviously full efficacy is down the road after 2nd shot, maybe a little bit of both strategy?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #408 on: April 13, 2021, 09:52:10 AM »

Yep. It's a shame she isn't following the CDC recommendation and shutting some things down. We are also approaching the point where a partial lockdown may be advisable in a few other places, like MN, IL and a couple of places in the northeast.

I know the counterarguments - the US population doesn't have the patience or willpower. But the fact that the numbers keep bouncing back up - even with the vaccine rollout - might be a hint that the 'half measures' strategy isn't working.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #409 on: April 13, 2021, 09:56:44 AM »
Is there not almost immediate benefit after getting even the first dose?  Obviously full efficacy is down the road after 2nd shot, maybe a little bit of both strategy?

No, there is not evidence of an 'immediate benefit'. The efficacy occurs a week or two after the first dose. And then the decline in cases occurs a couple of weeks after that. So case declines just begin after 3-4 weeks.

With a shutdown, the 'efficacy' (reduction in contacts) occurs immediately. Then case declines occur a couple of weeks after that. So case declines begin in 1-2 weeks.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #410 on: April 13, 2021, 10:13:52 AM »

No, there is not evidence of an 'immediate benefit'. The efficacy occurs a week or two after the first dose. And then the decline in cases occurs a couple of weeks after that. So case declines just begin after 3-4 weeks.

With a shutdown, the 'efficacy' (reduction in contacts) occurs immediately. Then case declines occur a couple of weeks after that. So case declines begin in 1-2 weeks.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FaceTheNation/status/1381638489972871168

I’ll side with my boy Gottlieb.  But what does he know as former director of the FDA?!?!?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #411 on: April 13, 2021, 10:18:29 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/FaceTheNation/status/1381638489972871168

I’ll side with my boy Gottlieb.  But what does he know as former director of the FDA?!?!?

I was simply responding to your question about 'immediate benefit' with vaccines. And I answered it correctly.

I can see the case for increasing vaccines to Michigan (and other states that are seeing cases increase significantly), but it has to be in conjunction with partial shutdowns if we want to have anything close to the 'immediate' effect you referred to earlier.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #412 on: April 13, 2021, 10:21:53 AM »

I was simply responding to your question about 'immediate benefit' with vaccines. And I answered it correctly.

I can see the case for increasing vaccines to Michigan (and other states that are seeing cases increase significantly), but it has to be in conjunction with partial shutdowns if we want to have anything close to the 'immediate' effect you referred to earlier.

So both state of Michigan elected officials and our Federal elected officials are messing this up.  I’ll bookend this with the same comment I started with.  Doing great here guys!!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #413 on: April 13, 2021, 10:25:07 AM »
So both state of Michigan elected officials and our Federal elected officials are messing this up.  I’ll bookend this with the same comment I started with.  Doing great here guys!!

Yes. I'll bookend this with the comment I have been making for a while - Michigan should implement a partial lockdown.

You aren't the only one who has disagreed with their approach.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #414 on: April 13, 2021, 10:28:12 AM »

Yes. I'll bookend this with the comment I have been making for a while - Michigan should implement a partial lockdown.

You aren't the only one who has disagreed with their approach.

👍👍

tower912

• All American
« Reply #415 on: April 13, 2021, 11:51:15 AM »
The legislature passed a bill that the governor hasn't signed.   In it are guidelines for shutting things down and limiting restaurant capacity relative to the COVID positivity rate.   By the Republican legislature's standards, it is time to reduce restaurant capacities and mask up.   I am disappointed that the governor didn't sign it.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #416 on: April 13, 2021, 12:53:04 PM »
The legislature passed a bill that the governor hasn't signed.   In it are guidelines for shutting things down and limiting restaurant capacity relative to the COVID positivity rate.   By the Republican legislature's standards, it is time to reduce restaurant capacities and mask up.   I am disappointed that the governor didn't sign it.

I'm guessing you get a bit gun shy when the other side wants to murder you.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #417 on: April 13, 2021, 12:56:41 PM »

That really is disappointing.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #418 on: April 13, 2021, 04:59:59 PM »
There is an immediate benefit to getting dose 1.   Reports peg it at 80% effective after three weeks.  But .. it's not 0% effective at 20 days, then 80% the next day.  It ramps up.

I will bet a bag of Arby's that within 3 days of getting dose 1, it's 20% effective and 40% effective at keeping you out of the hospital.     If you got exposed on day 4, your body is already humming along, you've got a 4 day jump start.  That would keep a ton of people out of the hospital.

I'm not making those numbers up out of thin air, I've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #419 on: April 13, 2021, 05:19:23 PM »
There is an immediate benefit to getting dose 1.   Reports peg it at 80% effective after three weeks.  But .. it's not 0% effective at 20 days, then 80% the next day.  It ramps up.

I will bet a bag of Arby's that within 3 days of getting dose 1, it's 20% effective and 40% effective at keeping you out of the hospital.     If you got exposed on day 4, your body is already humming along, you've got a 4 day jump start.  That would keep a ton of people out of the hospital.

I'm not making those numbers up out of thin air, I've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before.

Now, for actual science, approximately day 10 appears to where the body (across many participants) has good protection.  Before that...eh, gamble.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #420 on: April 13, 2021, 05:19:24 PM »

There is protection after one dose, but the response is neither 'immediate' nor linear.

Studies on the Pfizer vaccine showed that infection rates after the first dose were similar between the vaccine and placebo groups for the first 10-12 days, then tapered off significantly for the vaccine group. Further study showed that this immunity roughly paralleled the development of T-cells that reacted to the SARS-CoV2 spike protein. The following link describes research conducted by Duke and the National University of Singapore.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/local-researchers-find-pfizer-biontech-vaccine-can-produce-antibodies-immune-cells-12-days

Researchers here have found that the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine can help the body to produce specific types of antibodies and immune cells against the Sars-CoV-2 virus, which may explain why it is able to offer protection from Covid-19 as early as 12 days after a single dose.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #421 on: April 13, 2021, 05:20:25 PM »
the first 10-12 days

Beat you by a second!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #422 on: April 13, 2021, 05:20:33 PM »
Dang! Rocky's post beat mine by one second. Guess that shows why he's a mod and I'm not....

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #423 on: April 14, 2021, 07:54:45 AM »
Dang! Rocky's post beat mine by one second. Guess that shows why he's a mod and I'm not....

Maybe he MODified it to look like that  :o
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #424 on: April 14, 2021, 10:40:47 AM »
Maybe he MODified it to look like that  :o

Yeah, that's the ticket! ;D