* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 09:44:40 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Close to Home Reports  (Read 69471 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Close to Home Reports
« Reply #150 on: July 09, 2020, 01:01:21 PM »
That's terrible.  You've clearly been exposed.  Just because you're not presenting symptoms... this is why we have problems.

Agreed. My other issue is the WOEFULLY under educated staff most places. Both the receptionist/scheduler at Urgent Care, as well as who I spoke with at my PCP’s office both had no information and referred me to the generic COVID hotline and website. The treatment of my GF once she was at Urgent Care was decisive, informative, and effective. But it appears outside of the actual medical professionals, everybody has been clueless. 

I personally liked how there was a testing backlog because of a holiday weekend.  Feels like letting the forest fires in CA progress unchecked cause the firefighters took the weekend off

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #151 on: July 09, 2020, 01:04:12 PM »
Appreciate it

Welp. They won’t allowed me to get tested as I’m not presenting symptoms.  What a joke. And the PA working yesterday who told me to come in is not working today so I can’t leverage her.

My only option as of now is community testing with its 4-7 day turnaround. Hopefully I can give her a call tomorrow and work around it.

Wags,
What a different a state makes.  In Connecticut they would test you. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 02:54:56 PM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #152 on: July 09, 2020, 01:19:12 PM »
That is ridiculous, that you can’t get tested.
I have a friend who needed to get tested because his son with Downs needed to return  to his group home by a certain date to continue his state funding ( he was quarantining with his parents since March), and as they were symptomless the hospital didn’t want to test them. No state-run sites nearby and their turnaround is longer. His alderman ultimately got him in.
Hope you stay well.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #153 on: July 09, 2020, 02:42:23 PM »
Anyone who wants a test can get a test.

Leadership matters.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #154 on: July 09, 2020, 03:21:17 PM »
Appreciate it

Welp. They won’t allowed me to get tested as I’m not presenting symptoms.  What a joke. And the PA working yesterday who told me to come in is not working today so I can’t leverage her.

My only option as of now is community testing with its 4-7 day turnaround. Hopefully I can give her a call tomorrow and work around it.

No drive up testing without appointments near you? I thought these were a thing now?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #155 on: July 09, 2020, 03:37:08 PM »
Agreed. My other issue is the WOEFULLY under educated staff most places. Both the receptionist/scheduler at Urgent Care, as well as who I spoke with at my PCP’s office both had no information and referred me to the generic COVID hotline and website. The treatment of my GF once she was at Urgent Care was decisive, informative, and effective. But it appears outside of the actual medical professionals, everybody has been clueless. 

I personally liked how there was a testing backlog because of a holiday weekend.  Feels like letting the forest fires in CA progress unchecked cause the firefighters took the weekend off

We had an employee go to the Alliant Energy Center for a drive through test on Tuesday morning.  She just got her results back today.  So the turnaround time here (Madison area) is pretty decent.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #156 on: July 09, 2020, 03:39:51 PM »
No drive up testing without appointments near you? I thought these were a thing now?

There are, but my GF had one of those tests last Friday and still hasn’t gotten a result back.

If I’m living with someone with COVID, I’d like to know what sort of measures I’d have to take or what my quarantine is going to look like without waiting till mid next week on a best case scenario

Anyone who wants a test can get a test.

Leadership matters.

I know you’re trying to make another tired Trump crack, but this is a state issue. I’ve talked to multiple other people in various states who are shocked and have had quick turnaround tests done in similar circumstances. Her sister is NJ is incredulous as her kids going to camp in NJ have been tested twice already with same day results.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 03:43:47 PM by JWags85 »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #157 on: July 09, 2020, 04:00:12 PM »
Wags I can tell you the quick test is here in CT which takes 15 mins. But is not as good as the test run in a central lab. 

Lead time for the better test is now up to five days here because of availability of testing supplies in the lab.  Not ability to collect/take the test. Which may or may not be due to a state issue.   

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #158 on: July 09, 2020, 04:30:49 PM »
Wags I can tell you the quick test is here in CT which takes 15 mins. But is not as good as the test run in a central lab. 

Lead time for the better test is now up to five days here because of availability of testing supplies in the lab.  Not ability to collect/take the test. Which may or may not be due to a state issue.

Yea there is variability for sure. I think another thing that is infuriating, which is very much local, is the lack of education, effective communication, or information share from any of the agencies or whatnot. The best information I’ve gotten has been from the pharmacist when she originally took a drive thru test at a CVS and the PA yesterday. Which isn’t surprising, but the fact that nobody can give any sort of helpful timelines or recommendations for course of action is disconcerting to say the least.

It sincerely feels like the mentality is, which was reinforced when the health department followed up the positive test, “go to a community testing center, get tested, and then isolate yourself until you have results”. Which while it may seem “safely” cautious, is very impractical and potentially dangerous advice to asymptomatic people who aren’t going to want to, what feels like needlessly, put their lives on hold.  A 24 or even 48 hour turnaround changes that IMO.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #159 on: July 09, 2020, 04:48:58 PM »
Yea there is variability for sure. I think another thing that is infuriating, which is very much local, is the lack of education, effective communication, or information share from any of the agencies or whatnot. The best information I’ve gotten has been from the pharmacist when she originally took a drive thru test at a CVS and the PA yesterday. Which isn’t surprising, but the fact that nobody can give any sort of helpful timelines or recommendations for course of action is disconcerting to say the least.

It sincerely feels like the mentality is, which was reinforced when the health department followed up the positive test, “go to a community testing center, get tested, and then isolate yourself until you have results”. Which while it may seem “safely” cautious, is very impractical and potentially dangerous advice to asymptomatic people who aren’t going to want to, what feels like needlessly, put their lives on hold.  A 24 or even 48 hour turnaround changes that IMO.

Totally - needs to be 24 hours or less.  Advice is probably fine, but this is a logistics problem to match what public health needs.  Hasnt been approached that way nationally or with any consistency across states.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #160 on: July 09, 2020, 07:40:43 PM »

If you really want one, show up in ED with complaints of “chest tightness.” Say it’s probably stress related, but have a live in person who is positive and want to make sure it’s nothing more. You’ll get a test. Probably.

As for quarantining, I’ve been in out of the basement since April. Latest studies I’ve read, is you are most infectious the day before you start showing symptoms. You aren’t infectious 4 or 5 days after starting symptoms. So probably should be good after week one, especially if significant other is symptom free.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #161 on: July 09, 2020, 11:05:02 PM »

Even with a clear exposure? That’s just crazy. Good luck getting a test. And with the results, whichever way it goes.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #162 on: July 10, 2020, 08:06:24 AM »
Appreciate it

Fake some symptoms

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2020, 08:16:05 AM »
This might help to explain why they are still making it so difficult to get a test in WI despite an obvious exposure:

Is Your State Doing Enough Coronavirus Testing?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-testing.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

To summarize: Researchers at the Harvard Global Health Institute developed a methodology to estimate the number of daily tests required in order to mitigate the disease. It is based on total positives and positivity rate, and shows that the majority of states are still far below the recommended testing numbers. They estimate that WI is currently conducting only 48% of the daily tests needed to mitigate COVID.

Also note: these estimates are only what would be needed to mitigate spread. If we wanted to suppress the spread, the required testing numbers would be much higher.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 08:17:37 AM by GooooMarquette »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #164 on: July 10, 2020, 08:25:52 AM »
This might help to explain why they are still making it so difficult to get a test in WI despite an obvious exposure:

Is Your State Doing Enough Coronavirus Testing?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-testing.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

To summarize: Researchers at the Harvard Global Health Institute developed a methodology to estimate the number of daily tests required in order to mitigate the disease. It is based on total positives and positivity rate, and shows that the majority of states are still far below the recommended testing numbers. They estimate that WI is currently conducting only 48% of the daily tests needed to mitigate COVID.

Also note: these estimates are only what would be needed to mitigate spread. If we wanted to suppress the spread, the required testing numbers would be much higher.

Test everyone, everyday for a month and we can regain control.  A major problem we have run into is folks like JWags who should be tested, but aren't.  He tried and was turned away or told to go somewhere else.  Unacceptable. 

But if everyone showed up tomorrow at a test site, they'd be overwhelmed.  PERSONALLY, I'd love to see a system where we have two testers that go from apartment to apartment and then building to building to get tests out to people.  Expecting a lot of the elderly and urban population to get in a car and drive to a test site isn't realistic.  Many of those folks don't have cars or family that can drive them... so they'll never be tested.

Basically, I have little faith in our testing.  We need to get it to a level where we are catching basically everyone every day or two.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2020, 08:44:02 AM »
Test everyone, everyday for a month and we can regain control.  A major problem we have run into is folks like JWags who should be tested, but aren't.  He tried and was turned away or told to go somewhere else.  Unacceptable. 

But if everyone showed up tomorrow at a test site, they'd be overwhelmed.  PERSONALLY, I'd love to see a system where we have two testers that go from apartment to apartment and then building to building to get tests out to people.  Expecting a lot of the elderly and urban population to get in a car and drive to a test site isn't realistic.  Many of those folks don't have cars or family that can drive them... so they'll never be tested.

Basically, I have little faith in our testing.  We need to get it to a level where we are catching basically everyone every day or two.

Neither is expecting a bunch of rednecks who think this is a government conspiracy or that they'll just tough it out.
Maigh Eo for Sam

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #166 on: July 10, 2020, 12:05:42 PM »

Actually, if schools open, there is a way to accomplish testing goals, and mitigate spread.

Test all students at all levels every couple days. Any that test positive, you quarantine and screen family/contacts.

This can be accomplished on scale by using pooled sample testing, several large universities are developing this to roll out for their campus reopening testing plans.

Some Universities have modeled this, and found that reopening with universal testing platforms will actually lead to fewer cases amongst students, than if they don't reopen. The worst model, is reopening without a universal testing platform.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #167 on: July 11, 2020, 03:16:04 PM »
If you really want one, show up in ED with complaints of “chest tightness.” Say it’s probably stress related, but have a live in person who is positive and want to make sure it’s nothing more. You’ll get a test. Probably.

As for quarantining, I’ve been in out of the basement since April. Latest studies I’ve read, is you are most infectious the day before you start showing symptoms. You aren’t infectious 4 or 5 days after starting symptoms. So probably should be good after week one, especially if significant other is symptom free.

So I ended up getting tested yesterday. Told the admitting person some variation on this advice, was honest with the nurse and referenced the PA who then ended up treating me. Both agreed it was silly they ever had an issue.

Got the call today...Negative. I was sharing a bed, close quarters, physical affection up until she felt truly crappy last Thursday and got tested. I even accidentally used her toothbrush late one night in a fog. Baffling.

Reckless to speculate, but I’m thinking I may have contracted it somehow, been asymptomatic, passed it to her and then overcame it myself some days before my test yesterday?  Tough to pinpoint an origination cause we both have been mask wearing and religiously using sanitizer.  I’ll isolate for a few more days and then look into antibody testing, which seems to be a bit tricky to find right now.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #168 on: July 11, 2020, 03:28:51 PM »
Congrats on the negative test.
You may never know how it happened.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #169 on: July 11, 2020, 03:44:01 PM »
Good to hear Wags.  I hope your GF gets well soon. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #170 on: July 11, 2020, 05:25:56 PM »
So I ended up getting tested yesterday. Told the admitting person some variation on this advice, was honest with the nurse and referenced the PA who then ended up treating me. Both agreed it was silly they ever had an issue.

Got the call today...Negative. I was sharing a bed, close quarters, physical affection up until she felt truly crappy last Thursday and got tested. I even accidentally used her toothbrush late one night in a fog. Baffling.

Reckless to speculate, but I’m thinking I may have contracted it somehow, been asymptomatic, passed it to her and then overcame it myself some days before my test yesterday?  Tough to pinpoint an origination cause we both have been mask wearing and religiously using sanitizer.  I’ll isolate for a few more days and then look into antibody testing, which seems to be a bit tricky to find right now.

Why is that baffling?

Do you get sick every time she does?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #171 on: July 11, 2020, 06:59:57 PM »
Why is that baffling?

Do you get sick every time she does?

Not trying to be snarky, or pretend like COVID isn’t a big deal, but when you hear how ruthlessly contagious it is and all the advisements of quarantining and isolating from others even within your own home, to have essentially been flagrantly participating in any and all exposures regularly for a few days and not contract (short of already having antibodies or the scenario I presented) just seems surprising, unless I’m Wolverine

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #172 on: July 11, 2020, 07:45:34 PM »
Not trying to be snarky, or pretend like COVID isn’t a big deal, but when you hear how ruthlessly contagious it is and all the advisements of quarantining and isolating from others even within your own home, to have essentially been flagrantly participating in any and all exposures regularly for a few days and not contract (short of already having antibodies or the scenario I presented) just seems surprising, unless I’m Wolverine

One of the studies from China had a 15% infection rate within households. That’s a lot, but probably less then what most people think.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #173 on: July 11, 2020, 08:11:22 PM »
The weird thing about viruses – and this one is no exception – is that sometimes they spread when there is little or no known contact, while other times they don’t spread even with prolonged close contact.

Glad your test was negative, Wags. Hope your GF gets through it quickly and without long-term effects.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #174 on: July 11, 2020, 09:23:19 PM »
The weird thing about viruses – and this one is no exception – is that sometimes they spread when there is little or no known contact, while other times they don’t spread even with prolonged close contact.

Glad your test was negative, Wags. Hope your GF gets through it quickly and without long-term effects.
+1