collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Close to Home Reports  (Read 69347 times)

HouWarrior

• All American
Close to Home Reports
« on: March 27, 2020, 03:54:22 AM »
This thread is set aside for stories/updates on how the COVID pandemic has or will affect you personally, or your loved ones. This is not intended to be for trends, statistics, or governmental issues...this thing will affect us personally...we will need each other...its share and lean on others time

Over this weekend, my sister lost her 70 yr old husband to massive lung complications resulting from his COVID infection. As gatherings are frowned on...there will be no funeral...he will be cremated. Of course she doesn't show symptoms, but she has been asked to self quarantine. A new widow required to sit alone in her empty home. I can only call her daily.

Locally, my Son in Law is the Manager/Head Sommelier at a high end Galleria restaurant. He was furloughed as the place (along with entire chain of 9 locations) has been closed. A few days ago, he got word the owner/founder of the place is hospitalized with COVID. Obviously, if the owner passes, no one would blame his family for closing the chain and liquidating his estate...Son in Law may be out forever. My daughter/three grandbabies depend on him. Ouch

Hards, JayBee and others have noted personal stuff already...lets post them here....and bring this thing to its most personal level...Soon, we will need each other more than we currently realize.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 03:59:11 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Close to Home Reports
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 05:15:05 AM »
Parents aren't sick, and their boat met up with another boat last night for 'supplies'.  The passengers were given masks with dinner.  The hallways were sprayed last night.

So much for the stomach flu.  According to my WhatsApp my mother hasn't looked at her messages since last night when the boats met up.

I absolutely disgusted by the entire situation.  Broward county is voting today whether or not they are allowing the ship to dock when it gets to Ft. Lauderdale.  So they may be stuck on a zombie ship for God knows how long.

I should have mentioned that the ship they are on is the Holland America Zaandam.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 05:20:05 AM by Hards_Alumni »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 08:09:03 AM »
Three dear family friends positive with it.  All three are retired nurses who were trying to be as sterile as possible.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 09:13:06 AM »
I think I posted earlier this week but my wife and mother-in-law lost a friend to Coronavirus.  One of the first 5 victims reported in Connecticut.
She was retired in her 70's, was a smoker and apparently volunteered in nursing homes.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 11:59:56 AM »
I don't mean to be a downer, but news is that there are 4 dead on the Zaandam.  Parents do not appear to be sick.

Word today is that the healthy people (determined by temp) will be moved to the sister ship that is anchored nearby.  Priority is for people in interior rooms, and over 70.  So luckily my parents fit the bill so far.  Getting on the new ship doesn't guarantee anything of course.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 01:54:26 PM »
I don't mean to be a downer, but news is that there are 4 dead on the Zaandam.  Parents do not appear to be sick.

Word today is that the healthy people (determined by temp) will be moved to the sister ship that is anchored nearby.  Priority is for people in interior rooms, and over 70.  So luckily my parents fit the bill so far.  Getting on the new ship doesn't guarantee anything of course.

The news made USA today.  Wish the best for your folks, hards.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 03:59:23 PM »

I wish the best for your parents, Hards.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 04:01:25 PM »
Hards

Sending prayers for a safe and healthy return home for your folks

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 04:07:04 PM »
Thanks guys, I know we don't always see eye to eye, but thanks for your thoughts.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 04:10:56 PM »
Thanks guys, I know we don't always see eye to eye, but thanks for your thoughts.

And prayers.   ;)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 04:12:12 PM »
Likewise Bro, we all share in the Marquette family, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 04:16:29 PM »
And prayers.   ;)

At this point, I won't turn anything away really.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 04:56:16 PM »
Thinking about you, Hards, and hoping for a great outcome.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 10:44:12 PM »
Hards

Hoping/praying for the good news that your folks are safely home soon.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2020, 07:53:55 PM »
Hards, any update?  Praying for you.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2020, 09:15:15 PM »
Hards, any update?  Praying for you.

The transfers to the new boat are done, they're awaiting orders.  Or as I like to put it, wasting more time.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2020, 01:18:48 PM »

Prayers to your family
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2020, 01:36:25 PM »
The transfers to the new boat are done, they're awaiting orders.  Or as I like to put it, wasting more time.

Will the new ship be able to transit the Panama Canal?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2020, 02:24:04 PM »
Will the new ship be able to transit the Panama Canal?

That is the hope.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2020, 08:45:20 PM »
Just heard that a guy I umpire with has it, and he's in the ICU right now. He's younger than me, and I don't know if he's got any underlying conditions, but he is quite overweight so maybe there's something.

Really good guy, and I sure hope he pulls through and comes out of it without serious damage to his lungs or anything else.

First person I've actually known who has it. Very sad.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2020, 08:46:56 PM »
Just heard that a guy I umpire with has it, and he's in the ICU right now. He's younger than me, and I don't know if he's got any underlying conditions, but he is quite overweight so maybe there's something.

Really good guy, and I sure hope he pulls through and comes out of it without serious damage to his lungs or anything else.

Thoughts for your buddy

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2020, 08:52:19 PM »

I do recall hearing somewhere that obesity is a risk factor.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2020, 09:07:38 PM »
2/3 family friends doing much better.
Maigh Eo for Sam

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2020, 09:24:31 AM »
A co-worker has it.  He left Wednesday morning, had a test on Thursday, and got the positive result Friday evening.  (We were still going into the building up until Saturday).  He's 65 and seems to be in decent-enough health, but that's still very, very scary.

I feel selfish for worrying about myself at a time like this, but waiting to find out if I'm sick is turning me into Jackson Nicholson-in-The Shining-crazy.  I last saw the infected on Wednesday, so in about two hours it'll be 5 days since I was in the same room as him.  I keep reading the average incubation period is right around now.

This has made me a little crazy, but physically nothing to worry about.  I've yet to have any fever, and you wouldn't believe me if I told you how often I've been checking.  I don't think I've had any shortness of breath, but if you lay in bed and wonder if you're having breathing problems, you'll eventually have breathing problems.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2020, 09:28:12 AM »
I do recall hearing somewhere that obesity is a risk factor.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2328804-veel-patienten-op-ic-met-overgewicht-maar-ga-nu-niet-te-streng-dieten.html

If you have a translator in your browser, 80% of Covid19 patients in ICUs in the Netherlands are obese.  A comment on the article said its 70% in UK, but I can't confirm that news.

Wouldn't surprise me, though.

feedback