[Today at 02:22:57 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Close to Home Reports  (Read 69497 times)

Warriors4ever

• All American
Re: Close to Home Reports
« Reply #175 on: July 11, 2020, 10:25:35 PM »
I have a friend who husband and daughter had it. She never did, and she is the one with some underlying conditions.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #176 on: July 13, 2020, 08:43:54 AM »
I worked with a woman 25+ years ago who used to bring her son into work occasionally where he would run around being a little terror.  He died of Covid yesterday.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

🏀

• All American
« Reply #177 on: July 13, 2020, 02:41:04 PM »
Office receptionist lost taste and smell on Saturday. Got tested yesterday. Up to 5 to 7 days for results while the rest of us wait in limbo.

Not a person I have prolonged contact with, but taking precautions.

She spent four days up north at a campground over the Fourth. Community pool, socializing and drinking. Now bitching a storm about who's paying for the test, compensation for work missed, not using PTO, etc. Worried about all the wrong things.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #178 on: July 13, 2020, 07:40:14 PM »
One of my students from last year. 21 years old, healthy athlete, no pre-existing conditions. They've been hospitalized with COVID for a week. Says every breath is excruciatingly painful, constantly out of breath (O2 sat levels in the 70's and 80's without oxygen supplmentation), hates their heparin injections.

And the doctors keep reminding them that their case is mild.

They were on campus for residence life orientation to prepare for the full slot of students coming in soon.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 07:51:18 PM by forgetful »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #179 on: July 13, 2020, 08:43:25 PM »
One of my students from last year. 21 years old, healthy athlete, no pre-existing conditions. They've been hospitalized with COVID for a week. Says every breath is excruciatingly painful, constantly out of breath (O2 sat levels in the 70's and 80's without oxygen supplmentation), hates their heparin injections.

And the doctors keep reminding them that their case is mild.

They were on campus for residence life orientation to prepare for the full slot of students coming in soon.

Best wishes and thoughts to your student, but surely he means mild in terms of hospitalized cases, yea? 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #180 on: July 13, 2020, 10:02:26 PM »
Best wishes and thoughts to your student, but surely he means mild in terms of hospitalized cases, yea?

I assume so. This is such a crazy disease. Normally O2 levels that low would be extreme concern. Here, she is texting, and posting to facebook.

Says the scariest thing is being alone, no family/friends can visit. Nights are tough when she is in pain, unable to breath, and fever causing her to shake violently alone in a hospital bed.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #181 on: July 13, 2020, 10:24:07 PM »
I was going to comment that those O2 saturation levels are crazy low. What a nasty illness. And the isolation just when you need friends and family.

Hope your student recovers well, forgetful.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #182 on: July 15, 2020, 03:34:41 PM »
A couple coworkers have had it. Both hospitalized but are now out and doing better. One could be considered at risk (middle aged, asthma) but the other one is in incredible shape with no pre-existing conditions.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #183 on: July 21, 2020, 01:56:42 PM »
UPDATE: as I mentioned prior, my GF tested positive for COVID after going to an Aurora urgent care on the 8th. She’s doing well, lingering cough and ehh but that’s from the secondary pneumonia infection she got. Saw the UC doctor last week and her lungs both looked and sounded fine, so no cause for concern.

However, the main purpose of this update...she took a COVID test at CVS on July 3rd...she just got the positive result back today. Good lord almighty that’s awful

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #184 on: July 21, 2020, 02:34:57 PM »
We really have no shot if that kind of turnaround is happening broadly....

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #185 on: July 21, 2020, 02:45:26 PM »
UPDATE: as I mentioned prior, my GF tested positive for COVID after going to an Aurora urgent care on the 8th. She’s doing well, lingering cough and ehh but that’s from the secondary pneumonia infection she got. Saw the UC doctor last week and her lungs both looked and sounded fine, so no cause for concern.

However, the main purpose of this update...she took a COVID test at CVS on July 3rd...she just got the positive result back today. Good lord almighty that’s awful

Glad to hear your GF is well on the road to recovery.

The delay in test results is appalling. 18 freaking days? As Frenns said, if that kind of delay is anywhere near the norm, this thing is gonna keep tearing us apart until we get effective vaccines. We need to get delays down to a couple of days max.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #186 on: July 21, 2020, 03:11:11 PM »
Glad to hear your GF is well on the road to recovery.

The delay in test results is appalling. 18 freaking days? As Frenns said, if that kind of delay is anywhere near the norm, this thing is gonna keep tearing us apart until we get effective vaccines. We need to get delays down to a couple of days max.

To be fair, my parents both went last week to the community testing done by the National Guard, specifically in Glendale at Nicolet HS.  They got their results in 2 days.  My father's was "inconclusive" but then went back and got another one done, again back in 2 days, that was negative.  So it seems its just whatever lab CVS is using is complete trash.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #187 on: July 21, 2020, 03:26:39 PM »
To be fair, my parents both went last week to the community testing done by the National Guard, specifically in Glendale at Nicolet HS.  They got their results in 2 days.  My father's was "inconclusive" but then went back and got another one done, again back in 2 days, that was negative.  So it seems its just whatever lab CVS is using is complete trash.

I think there are delays in areas that are hit hard.  Sounds like we are going to transition into pool testing which should make testing better per Fauci.

As far as no underlying conditions go.  Everyone likes to say they are healthy and have no underlying conditions but I have a feeling quite a few do have some borderline underlying issues.  Maybe I am too cynical and read too many articles about people saying they caught the disease and had no underlying conditions and you see a picture of them and they probably meet the criteria of being obese.  The healthcare system in this country sucks causing a lot of people to not go to the doctor's office for regular checkups that would probably identify quite a few underlying conditions.  Overweight, high blood pressure, high blood sugar, etc.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #188 on: July 21, 2020, 03:37:54 PM »
First outbreak at my Grandma's senior apartment living facility in the Milwaukee area. Three employees and a handful of residents are sick so far. Here's hoping.

Shout out to the WI legislature for doing everything in their power to get my grandma sick.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #189 on: July 21, 2020, 03:54:48 PM »
First outbreak at my Grandma's senior apartment living facility in the Milwaukee area. Three employees and a handful of residents are sick so far. Here's hoping.

Shout out to the WI legislature for doing everything in their power to get my grandma sick.

Thoughts and prayers for the residents and hoping your Grandma is ok.

But that’s a leap. That facility should be operating as if we’re in lockdown regardless. That’s misplaced accountability

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #190 on: July 21, 2020, 04:00:29 PM »
I think there are delays in areas that are hit hard.  Sounds like we are going to transition into pool testing which should make testing better per Fauci.

As far as no underlying conditions go.  Everyone likes to say they are healthy and have no underlying conditions but I have a feeling quite a few do have some borderline underlying issues.  Maybe I am too cynical and read too many articles about people saying they caught the disease and had no underlying conditions and you see a picture of them and they probably meet the criteria of being obese.  The healthcare system in this country sucks causing a lot of people to not go to the doctor's office for regular checkups that would probably identify quite a few underlying conditions.  Overweight, high blood pressure, high blood sugar, etc.

I think that is part of the issue. There are almost certainly people walking around with undiagnosed HBP, diabetes and such. And most Americans have such a view of a 'healthy weight/BMI' that differs pretty significantly from what the AMA calls a healthy BMI.

But the other part is that we are still learning the risk factors for COVID. I mentioned this a few weeks back in the main COVID thread, but the evidence is pretty clear that blood type plays some sort of role, as study after study has shown that people with type A are at higher risk of contracting COVID and having a worse outcome, and people with type O seem to have a modicum of extra 'protection.' I'm guessing that we see more correlations with other genes/traits/conditions as time goes by.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #191 on: July 21, 2020, 05:50:25 PM »
Thoughts and prayers for the residents and hoping your Grandma is ok.

But that’s a leap. That facility should be operating as if we’re in lockdown regardless. That’s misplaced accountability

It has been in lockdown. You still have all of the low wage workers that need to go home or care for their loved ones. Work 2nd jobs. How many live in multi-generational homes? We have a nationwide PPE shortage at hospitals, and old age homes haven't been able to get their hands on much at all.

But people need to go to bars I guess.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #192 on: July 22, 2020, 06:17:27 PM »

Which would you rather have, that, or a Logan's Run Carousel?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #193 on: July 22, 2020, 09:09:38 PM »
Marquette alum class of 86 passed away today from Covid. Fraternity brother of mine.
Teenage kids left behind.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #194 on: July 22, 2020, 10:19:01 PM »
Marquette alum class of 86 passed away today from Covid. Fraternity brother of mine.

Flyer - this whole thing is so awful, especially when it hits close to home. Sympathies to the family and friends left behind.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #195 on: July 23, 2020, 01:31:22 PM »
Condolences on the loss of your friend, pbiflyer.

This thing sucks.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #196 on: July 23, 2020, 02:09:21 PM »
Condolences on the loss of your friend, pbiflyer.

This thing sucks.

Agree - My condolences

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #197 on: July 23, 2020, 03:53:06 PM »

Wasn't Ed F., was it?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #198 on: July 23, 2020, 09:27:49 PM »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #199 on: July 23, 2020, 11:57:35 PM »

feedback