[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Close to Home Reports  (Read 69362 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Close to Home Reports
« Reply #225 on: August 12, 2020, 01:25:09 PM »

On a happier note, my daughter’s doctor thinks she is nearly past this and all will be well. Thanks Gooooo, Frenns and Rico for your good wishes.

Glad to hear about recoveries!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #226 on: August 12, 2020, 01:34:39 PM »
Thanks Jockey and Hards!!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #227 on: August 13, 2020, 05:15:11 PM »
Was at a funeral recently of a 77 year old man who lost a lengthy battle to COVID.  He contracted it in May after being careful for 2 months but eventually some of his family said it's not big deal and its over blown.  He let his guard down and attended a family party that was most outdoors.  His grand daughter unknowingly had it, and spread it. 

At the funeral his wife of 52 years greeted us and eventually broke down in tears about how she can't imagine life without her best friend.

I walked away in tears thinking of how a concentrated national approach that emphasized the dangers from Day 1 might have saved this woman's best friend.  Instead people were conditioned to think it was just a hoax, or it would disappear, etc, etc, etc.

Words have consequences.  Especially when they are from the POTUS and broadcast everyday on CNN and posted everyday on Twitter.  Our POTUS was fighting this like it is a line item in a bill filled with left and right pork.  It is not, it's a real threat, yet he doesn't understand that his words matter.  Even if he did nothing more than say and model: 6 feet apart, masks at all times, that would have helped.  It's so sad that a man consumed with power, has no idea how powerful he really is on issues like this.

So sad.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #228 on: August 13, 2020, 05:21:31 PM »
Was at a funeral recently of a 77 year old man who lost a lengthy battle to COVID.  He contracted it in May after being careful for 2 months but eventually some of his family said it's not big deal and its over blown.  He let his guard down and attended a family party that was most outdoors.  His grand daughter unknowingly had it, and spread it. 

At the funeral his wife of 52 years greeted us and eventually broke down in tears about how she can't imagine life without her best friend.

I walked away in tears thinking of how a concentrated national approach that emphasized the dangers from Day 1 might have saved this woman's best friend.  Instead people were conditioned to think it was just a hoax, or it would disappear, etc, etc, etc.

Words have consequences.  Especially when they are from the POTUS and broadcast everyday on CNN and posted everyday on Twitter.  Our POTUS was fighting this like it is a line item in a bill filled with left and right pork.  It is not, it's a real threat, yet he doesn't understand that his words matter.  Even if he did nothing more than say and model: 6 feet apart, masks at all times, that would have helped.  It's so sad that a man consumed with power, has no idea how powerful he really is on issues like this.

So sad.

He knows exactly how powerful he/his words are

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #229 on: August 13, 2020, 05:23:54 PM »
Lens that is very sad for the individual but also the grand daughter.  I hope she isn’t too hard on herself.

We have loosened up with our family to some degree and it’s this circumstance that keeps me up at night.  The older set wants to interact but we still just don’t know - particularly with various parties out in the world to different degrees. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #230 on: August 13, 2020, 05:46:10 PM »
Lens that is very sad for the individual but also the grand daughter.  I hope she isn’t too hard on herself.

We have loosened up with our family to some degree and it’s this circumstance that keeps me up at night.  The older set wants to interact but we still just don’t know - particularly with various parties out in the world to different degrees.

It is a tough call for families.

My in-laws are 80 and 90, and my wife and her sister have been doing their errands and handing groceries through the door. No direct contact. They are all sad to be missing out on their ritual Sunday afternoon lunches and other informal get togethers, but have decided they would rather give them a chance to live a few more years than risk infecting them. Despite their age, they are generally in very good health and could live several more healthy years, so are taking the long term approach.

Honestly I could see going either way - their long term approach, or limited and careful interactions. Like I said, I tough call.

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #231 on: August 13, 2020, 06:21:04 PM »
I lost my 89-year-old grandmother to covid in June.  My close friend's 65-year-old father nearly died, was on a ventilator, but thankfully recovered (what’s weird is his wife never got it). Two acquaintances in their 20's have spent the last 60 days recovering from it.  I think they will be ok.  No one related to these people blames POTUS, anything he has said, or any other politician for that matter.  Just silly.

I have 50 employees that need a paycheck.  We are keeping them safe and working, every day.  They are extremely grateful and have been doing a kick-ass job since March.  If any of them tests positive, we have made the decision to pay them for their time off.

I am choosing to not live in fear.  This virus is here, it will always be here to some degree, it’s another way to die, and I don’t blame Trump for that.  Posters here like to shout, “You don’t trust the science!”  Well I do, and I believe science will soon enable us to mitigate the death and suffering (and the fear!) to a large degree.  Despite what I’ve been through, I’m choosing to live my life normally, but in a safe manner.  I’ll wear a mask around others and keep my distance.  We obviously all have our opinions.  I have mine, you are entitled to yours.  But again, I’m not living in fear, obsessing over what Trump did, what Cuomo did, what other governors did, what China did…blah, blah, blah.  It’s just not worth it.

Rant off.  Back to work.  Go Warriors.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #232 on: August 13, 2020, 06:44:15 PM »
I’m replying from my kids little league, in between innings, I’m not living in fear either.   

And I don’t want to blame Trump.  HOWEVER when you stand before the American people day after day and down play the severity and RT people who contradict your own admin guideline, you are part of the problem. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #233 on: August 13, 2020, 07:02:24 PM »
I am choosing to not live in fear. 

If this was directed at at me, I’m not sure what this even means

I’m living in reality—the virus has a good chance of not impacting me hard based on case data, but I know I could spread it quite easily.  My wife and I are also out socially to some degree and working more (at office vs remote).  So yes I think about that when my in-laws want to have Sunday dinner.  Not sure that is fear based. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #234 on: August 13, 2020, 07:33:33 PM »
I lost my 89-year-old grandmother to covid in June.  My close friend's 65-year-old father nearly died, was on a ventilator, but thankfully recovered (what’s weird is his wife never got it). Two acquaintances in their 20's have spent the last 60 days recovering from it.  I think they will be ok.  No one related to these people blames POTUS, anything he has said, or any other politician for that matter.  Just silly.

I have 50 employees that need a paycheck.  We are keeping them safe and working, every day.  They are extremely grateful and have been doing a kick-ass job since March.  If any of them tests positive, we have made the decision to pay them for their time off.

I am choosing to not live in fear.  This virus is here, it will always be here to some degree, it’s another way to die, and I don’t blame Trump for that.  Posters here like to shout, “You don’t trust the science!”  Well I do, and I believe science will soon enable us to mitigate the death and suffering (and the fear!) to a large degree.  Despite what I’ve been through, I’m choosing to live my life normally, but in a safe manner.  I’ll wear a mask around others and keep my distance.  We obviously all have our opinions.  I have mine, you are entitled to yours.  But again, I’m not living in fear, obsessing over what Trump did, what Cuomo did, what other governors did, what China did…blah, blah, blah.  It’s just not worth it.

I don’t close my eyes when I cross a busy street.

Am I living in fear?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #235 on: August 13, 2020, 10:06:02 PM »

So, who, not living in fear, killed your grandma?  Was it a grandchild? Will that mess with them for the rest of their lives?  Who was the brave soul that killed her?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #236 on: August 14, 2020, 06:09:50 AM »

Interested to hear what led you to loosen up a bit?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #237 on: August 14, 2020, 06:51:09 AM »
Both firefighters I work with have now lost parents to COVID.   My department currently has 11 positive cases.   Living in fear?   The alarms are still coming.    I got through a compressed travel baseball season including trips to Ohio and to Myrtle Beach for a week.    But I haven't been inside a public building without a mask since St. Patrick's day.

I allow my parents to make their own choices.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 03:24:59 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #238 on: August 14, 2020, 11:10:10 PM »
So, who, not living in fear, killed your grandma?  Was it a grandchild? Will that mess with them for the rest of their lives?  Who was the brave soul that killed her?

WHO KILLED his Grandma? That’s a sick remark if you’re trying to be funny. It’s a sick, ignorant and disgusting remark if you’re trying to be serious.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 11:12:06 PM by Lennys Tap »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #239 on: August 15, 2020, 12:38:08 PM »
WHO KILLED his Grandma? That’s a sick remark if you’re trying to be funny. It’s a sick, ignorant and disgusting remark if you’re trying to be serious.

If someone "being brave" gets someone sick, and that someone dies, then the 'brave' person should be tried for manslaughter. CMV

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #240 on: August 15, 2020, 06:45:44 PM »
If someone "being brave" gets someone sick, and that someone dies, then the 'brave' person should be tried for manslaughter. CMV

So let’s put everyone who has been within 6 feet of a human they don’t live with in the past 6 months in prison. If they test negative, it’s reckless endangerment. Positive, attempted manslaughter/murder 2 if anyone they have had contact with has actually died, take “attempted” out of the charges.

Good news is there’s plenty of room in our jails and the cops have plenty of time on their hands. And, of course, plenty of good citizens like yourself will turn yourselves in and rat out the kids.

For the first time in her sordid history America will be truly great!

« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 06:50:09 PM by Lennys Tap »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #241 on: August 15, 2020, 07:21:29 PM »
So let’s put everyone who has been within 6 feet of a human they don’t live with in the past 6 months in prison. If they test negative, it’s reckless endangerment. Positive, attempted manslaughter/murder 2 if anyone they have had contact with has actually died, take “attempted” out of the charges.

Good news is there’s plenty of room in our jails and the cops have plenty of time on their hands. And, of course, plenty of good citizens like yourself will turn yourselves in and rat out the kids.

Sounds like East Germany, eh?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #242 on: August 15, 2020, 09:44:37 PM »
Sounds like East Germany, eh?

Utopia, a’ina?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #243 on: August 15, 2020, 10:29:09 PM »
Introvert Utopia.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #244 on: August 15, 2020, 11:10:29 PM »
Utopia, a’ina?

For about 8-10 here, yessir.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #245 on: August 16, 2020, 11:05:41 AM »

Let's just isolate 10% of the population in a bubble and rigorously test them for a couple weeks. Then put the other 90% in medically induced comas and just wait out a vaccine.

See problem solved. We can use it as a test run for deep space travel, and development of the matrix.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #246 on: August 16, 2020, 12:03:06 PM »

Because reckless interaction and careful regard for others are the same thing?

C'mon, Lenny. That makes my overreactions seem tame.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #247 on: August 16, 2020, 12:43:30 PM »
Lenny, you would have been so mad at my priest today.   Before quoting MLK in his sermon about the scripture readings telling us to love and accept 'the other', he pulled me aside before mass and told me that if he was in charge, everyone would be confined to their homes for 6 weeks with the National Guard patrolling the streets and handing out $50,000 fines for violators.

I appreciate the sentiment, though I do not think it is workable. 

And we all need to do a better job of loving more and fearing less.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #248 on: August 16, 2020, 02:18:09 PM »
Lenny, you would have been so mad at my priest today.   Before quoting MLK in his sermon about the scripture readings telling us to love and accept 'the other', he pulled me aside before mass and told me that if he was in charge, everyone would be confined to their homes for 6 weeks with the National Guard patrolling the streets and handing out $50,000 fines for violators.

I appreciate the sentiment, though I do not think it is workable. 

And we all need to do a better job of loving more and fearing less.

Tower,

The founding fathers would roll over in their graves at your priest’s suggestion. I thought the danger the left felt was from Trump “being a dictator”. Now it’s the solution? No thanks.

But I 100% agree with you - more love, less fear. And less judgement (including my own).

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #249 on: August 16, 2020, 03:23:49 PM »
Tower,

The founding fathers would roll over in their graves at your priest’s suggestion. I thought the danger the left felt was from Trump “being a dictator”. Now it’s the solution? No thanks.

But I 100% agree with you - more love, less fear. And less judgement (including my own).

Dude have you actually read up on the Founding Fathers and some of the things they supported?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow