[Today at 04:39:02 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Illinois  (Read 95380 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Illinois
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2020, 10:22:38 PM »
Worked from my deck in Avondale all afternoon on Zoom calls and watched the planes come in from the east. Of those coming in it seemed to be almost all long haul international flights with a few domestic here or there. Really weird.

I read a stat that on Monday NYC had something like a total of 25-30 flights out of all 3 airports when they usually have about 300 a day.

Unless those flights have only Americans returning home, why the F are international flights still flying?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2020, 10:25:14 PM »
Unless those flights have only Americans returning home, why the F are international flights still flying?

Commercial flights still move cargo and mail but the passengers would have to be American.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2020, 07:38:40 PM »
I'm jealous of you guys with patios. This is the first time I've missed having a yard and patio.

I sat on my balcony (not a lot of sun in the afternoon, but still pleasantly fresh air) in the South Loop yesterday before the storms and saw a couple of planes. I usually have the conga line of Southwest planes headed towards Midway from over the lake but they aren't even bothering to line them up anymore. It's really bizarre. There are still a lot of helicopters flying around, though I'm guessing I notice them more now because the city is so quiet.

On another note: I've been very pleasantly surprised by Pritzker and Lightfoot. Pritzker has solidified himself as a top 5 governor in the US during this crisis, and Lightfoot seems to have the city running like a machine (pun intended) despite both of them being relatively new to their jobs.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2020, 09:24:48 PM »
Governors and mayors are the rock stars of the effort.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2020, 08:24:20 AM »
9pm curfew on liquor sales. It's like being back in Wisconsin again
Maigh Eo for Sam

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2020, 12:23:53 AM »
Cook County jail is largest source of U.S. infections

New York Times

The Cook County jail in Chicago, a sprawling facility that is among the largest jails in the nation, has emerged as the largest-known source of U.S. coronavirus infections, according to data compiled by The Times.

At least 387 cases can be linked to the jail — more than have been connected to the U.S.S. Theodore Roosevelt, a nursing home in Kirkland, Wash., or the cluster of cases centered on New Rochelle, N.Y.

As of Tuesday, the Cook County Sheriff’s Office, which operates the jail, said 272 inmates and 115 staff members had tested positive. But because the vast majority of the jail’s 5,000 inmates have not been tested, corrections officers have said the numbers are likely far higher. In late March, the jail had just two diagnoses.

The outbreak appears to confirm the concerns of many health officials, who warned that America’s overcrowded and unsanitary jails and prisons could be a major source of spread. Those warnings prompted authorities across the country to release thousands of inmates to try to slow the infection, save lives and preserve medical resources.

Still, hundreds of diagnoses have been confirmed at local, state and federal correctional facilities — almost certainly an undercount, given a lack of testing and the virus’s rapid spread — leading to hunger strikes in immigrant detention centers and demands for more protection from prison employee unions.

In Cook County, officials released hundreds of inmates early — all of whom had been convicted of nonviolent crimes like drug possession and disorderly conduct. Judges are continuing to examine the cases of each inmate to determine if bonds can be lowered for certain people. That would allow dozens, perhaps hundreds, more people to be released, officials say.

The sheriff, Thomas J. Dart, has set up a quarantine area for those who have tested positive and another to monitor those showing symptoms. The most serious patients are being taken to a hospital.

But inmates and corrections officers have complained that the jail’s safety measures are inadequate. A protest was held outside the jail on Tuesday. Advocates and family members have also filed a federal lawsuit seeking the early release of older inmates and those who have chronic medical conditions which may make them particularly vulnerable.

The union representing corrections officers there has complained that the sheriff’s office failed to provide adequate protective equipment to the jail’s staff and has provided only cursory instruction and training to avoid contracting the virus and limiting its spread.

http://digitaledition.chicagotribune.com/infinity/article_share.aspx?guid=2c55e44b-ec7d-44a9-88c1-ffe8bfef8a28

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2020, 07:57:33 AM »
And how many of the prisoners that got released were unsymptomatic carriers?

Yeah, really regretting my decision to move out of Illinois.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2020, 08:02:47 AM »

There's prisons everywhere and no matter where you are I doubt you run in many of the same circles as those that were released. Plenty of good reasons to leave the state without including ones that don't actually effect you.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 08:06:51 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2020, 08:07:18 AM »

I'm so envious of you and Glow. We are planning on doing the same as you and get out of Illinois in favor of Wisconsin. But, being a lawyer in Illinois, and with most of my clients here, I've got a few more years here before we get out.  Our plan  is to get a place on the lakefront and be 2-2.25 hours from our place in Door.  Illinois is bad and won't get better until Madigan is out.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2020, 08:09:28 AM »
There's prisons everywhere and no matter where you are I doubt you run in many of the same circles as those that were released. Plenty of good reasons to leave the state without including ones that don't actually effect you.

Of course there are.  I was just taking a jab at Hards.
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2020, 08:28:08 AM »

:P

🏀

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2020, 08:34:17 AM »
I was at an event in February, a well-known Wisconsin Facebook comedian did a bit of stand-up.

Being close to the border, did a couple of FIB jokes, then explained he discovered something far worse than FIBs and Bears fans. Former FIBs that obnoxiously talk about moving to Wisconsin.

Got damn near got a standing ovation.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2020, 08:40:14 AM »
I was at an event in February, a well-known Wisconsin Facebook comedian did a bit of stand-up.

Being close to the border, did a couple of FIB jokes, then explained he discovered something far worse than FIBs and Bears fans. Former FIBs that obnoxiously talk about moving to Wisconsin.

There is no one more obnoxious than the newly converted.  Be it religion, exercise routine or moving to Wisconsin.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2020, 08:49:31 AM »

There is no one more obnoxious than the newly converted.  Be it religion, exercise routine or moving to Wisconsin.

So true.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2020, 08:57:57 AM »

I would also add nutrition to the list, e.g., becoming vegan, keto, doing "cleanses," etc.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2020, 09:25:31 AM »
I would also add nutrition to the list, e.g., becoming vegan, keto, doing "cleanses," etc.

Just say anyone that believe in simple solutions to complex problems.  I think that covers most things.  ;D

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2020, 09:29:07 AM »

This event was in Illinois?  Envy is a powerful emotion.

Also, moving back to Wisconsin is different from moving there for the first time.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2020, 10:05:30 AM »
Lived in Wisconsin for the first 23 years of my life. It was a great place to grow up. Good public schools, nice neighborhoods, lots of lakes, state parks, outdoor recreation. I loved it.

Now that I am an adult, I never want to move back (ok maybe not NEVER, but definitely not until I am of retirement age).

Everyone in my hometown is either a teacher, a nurse, or a factory worker. (Edit: I am NOT belittling these professions. They are important. I'm just talking about the lack of options). That's all there is for employment. A nice dinner out consists of Olive Garden. There's a reason so many people drive drunk. All there is to do is go out to the bars.

Give me Chicago's cultural scene, nightlife, sports, theater, music, opera, culinary options, every damn time. Not to mention the job market. If I get laid off, I'll find something else in my field within a month, no problem, and I won't have to move my family for it.

I know Milwaukee has a bit more to do than my hometown, but it is nowhere close to Chicago.

I come back to Milwaukee for a few MU games a year, and we spend a week or two in Door County every year, and I get my Wisco fix. That's really all I need.

Just one person's perspective.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 10:19:20 AM by Coleman »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2020, 10:11:40 AM »
Lived in Wisconsin for the first 23 years of my life. It was a great place to grow up. Good public schools, nice neighborhoods, lots of lakes, state parks, outdoor recreation. I loved it.

Now that I am an adult, I never want to move back (ok maybe not NEVER, but definitely not until I am of retirement age).

Everyone in my hometown is either a teacher, a nurse, or a factory worker. That's all there is for employment. A nice dinner out consists of Olive Garden.

Give me Chicago's cultural scene, nightlife, sports, theater, music, opera, culinary options, every damn time. Not to mention the job market. If I get laid off, I'll find something else in my field within a month, no problem, and I won't have to move my family for it.

I know Milwaukee has a bit more to do than my hometown, but it is nowhere close to Chicago.

I come back to Milwaukee for a few MU games a year, and we spend a week or two in Door County every year, and I get my Wisco fix. That's really all I need.

Agree with all of this. Post Marquette, I got out as fast as possible. I like Milwaukee well enough, and I'd consider a vacation or little retirement place around Madison for the outdoor scene, but I prefer all the things a big city can offer.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2020, 10:24:44 AM »
9pm curfew on liquor sales. It's like being back in Wisconsin again

As you know, the virus only comes out at night!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2020, 10:39:50 AM »

Everyone in my hometown is either a teacher, a nurse, or a factory worker. (Edit: I am NOT belittling these professions. They are important. I'm just talking about the lack of options). That's all there is for employment. A nice dinner out consists of Olive Garden. There's a reason so many people drive drunk. All there is to do is go out to the bars.

We felt the same way when we were your age.   :)
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2020, 10:52:25 AM »
We felt the same way when we were your age.   :)

I'll probably feel the same way when I'm your age!

That's why they are opinions, we can both be right!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2020, 11:20:18 AM »

When you were describing your home town it sounded like you were describing the whole of Tinley Park, Evergreen Park, Oak Lawn, Oak Forest lol.
Maigh Eo for Sam

🏀

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2020, 11:21:21 AM »
This event was in Illinois?  Envy is a powerful emotion.

Also, moving back to Wisconsin is different from moving there for the first time.

No it wasn't. Keep 'er moving.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2020, 11:48:13 AM »
No it wasn't. Keep 'er moving.

Im loving watching him make drinks from the quarantine kitchen