[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Illinois  (Read 95521 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Illinois
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2020, 10:54:32 PM »
We were actually smaller than St. Louis at the time of the fire.

Edit: went to fact check myself and found out we were in fact slightly larger. I swear I was taught otherwise.

Actually, Chicago's rapid growth in population in the late 19th century was primarily due to its annexation of nearby towns, including Hyde Park, Rogers Park, Lakeview, and Jefferson.  It was a very Chicago way of accomplishing a goal.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 10:56:47 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2020, 11:12:06 PM »
Actually, Chicago's rapid growth in population in the late 19th century was primarily due to its annexation of nearby towns, including Hyde Park, Rogers Park, Lakeview, and Jefferson.  It was a very Chicago way of accomplishing a goal.

Not really that different than anywhere else... Brooklyn city ringing a bell?

But either way Chicago growth wasn't a point I made in my post. Was just trying to point out it was more comparable to small midwestern cities not exactly the far and away largest city in the midwest back then

Edit: That other rambling before was the beer talking.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 09:58:40 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2020, 11:41:12 AM »
Just a friendly reminder that car dealerships will still be open in Illinois (my hours are so bad, I can't get a fking day off during a pandemic).  Stop on by for the 0% for 84 mths financing; just stay six feet away from me when purchasing.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2020, 12:24:16 PM »
It sounds like more things are open than closed, to a certain extent.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2020, 01:21:16 PM »
As IL taxpayers, can we all agree to give the sign language guy a raise?

Seriously, his expressions are great. He takes his job seriously and the passion comes out.

(Of course, I hope that he is actually a legitimate interpreter and not "speaking" gibberish a la Obama's.)

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2020, 02:11:59 PM »

Seriously, his expressions are great. He takes his job seriously and the passion comes out.

(Of course, I hope that he is actually a legitimate interpreter and not "speaking" gibberish a la Obama's.)
That guy's my favorite.  I want him to sit next to me for eternity, interpreting my musings in sign.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2020, 07:32:25 PM »

I'm not sure if you know it or not, but Mandela was from South Africa. When Obama gave the speech, that was the interpreter that was provided. He was not Obama's interpreter.

I realize it is Trump's "job" to dodge all responsibility and blame Obama. It's embarrassing that you do the same.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2020, 06:29:16 AM »
I'm not sure if you know it or not, but Mandela was from South Africa. When Obama gave the speech, that was the interpreter that was provided. He was not Obama's interpreter.

I realize it is Trump's "job" to dodge all responsibility and blame Obama. It's embarrassing that you do the same.

Reeeeeeeelax.

I guess this is where we're at in America: any mention of any politician whatsoever--even in the context of some levity--sends out a call to arms.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2020, 10:40:51 AM »

Reeeeeeeelax.

I guess this is where we're at in America: any mention of any politician whatsoever--even in the context of some levity--sends out a call to arms.

I was just snarking. Ignore it.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2020, 02:03:37 PM »
Illinois moving to "Lockdown," but really shelter in place. Grocery stores, pharmacies, plumbers, electicians, roads and highways, banks, etc. to remain open. Hopefully movers too....LOL

National guard being activated, but says these are NOT used for quarantine enforcement but are mostly medical professionals and others for testing.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-illinois-shelter-in-place-lockdown-order-20200320-teedakbfw5gvdgmnaxlel54hau-story.html
Coleman, closings are still on with the shelter-in-place order. Title companies are considered financial institutions, banks are open also, and lawyers are able to continue to work when we represent “essential services”.  Movers are also going to be able to be open. The closing process is changed some, with fewer people allowed at the actual closing, but closings are still occurring.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2020, 03:49:56 PM »
Coleman, closings are still on with the shelter-in-place order. Title companies are considered financial institutions, banks are open also, and lawyers are able to continue to work when we represent “essential services”.  Movers are also going to be able to be open. The closing process is changed some, with fewer people allowed at the actual closing, but closings are still occurring.

That’s all good news

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2020, 04:07:17 PM »

We are almost in the exact same boat as Coleman.  Our buyers close on their place on April 23, while the close on our place is May 1.

What complicates our situation is that after 30 years of living in this house and moving to a place only half of its size, we have a crap ton of stuff we need to get rid of. We have an estate sale scheduled for the end of April.  I am not sure what would happen if we can't empty out the house on time.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2020, 05:14:14 PM »
We are almost in the exact same boat as Coleman.  Our buyers close on their place on April 23, while the close on our place is May 1.

What complicates our situation is that after 30 years of living in this house and moving to a place only half of its size, we have a crap ton of stuff we need to get rid of. We have an estate sale scheduled for the end of April.  I am not sure what would happen if we can't empty out the house on time.
Worst case could be a Pods or MiBox, perhaps?  Moving companies are essential services.   

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2020, 05:19:31 PM »
Worst case could be a Pods or MiBox, perhaps?  Moving companies are essential services.   

Or a climate controlled storage unit. They may even let you run the estate sale from the unit when you are able.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2020, 09:06:23 AM »

Chick, as of now, my plan is:
-send the wife, baby, and dog to the in-laws a couple days before the move.
-have packers come the day before the move (we have been trying to pack, but we just aren't going to be able to do it alone with an infant)
-have movers take everything into storage
-meet up with the family, and hang out there until we are ready to move into the house

I'd definitely look into the storage route for movers. Could you do an estate sale later on?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2020, 12:12:35 PM »
Chick, as of now, my plan is:
-send the wife, baby, and dog to the in-laws a couple days before the move.
-have packers come the day before the move (we have been trying to pack, but we just aren't going to be able to do it alone with an infant)
-have movers take everything into storage
-meet up with the family, and hang out there until we are ready to move into the house

I'd definitely look into the storage route for movers. Could you do an estate sale later on?

Doubtful.  I am pretty sure those storage places have rules about that.

It's not about the money we would make on the sale; I just don't want a lot of perfectly good furniture and other stuff winding up in a landfill.  We are supposed to be broom-clean on May 1. Thinking about seeing if I can schedule a Salvation Army pickup just in case.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2020, 12:53:25 PM »

It's not about the money we would make on the sale; I just don't want a lot of perfectly good furniture and other stuff winding up in a landfill.  We are supposed to be broom-clean on May 1. Thinking about seeing if I can schedule a Salvation Army pickup just in case.

What do you have? PM me details. I am going to be filling a new house in 2 months...

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2020, 02:48:31 PM »
What do you have? PM me details. I am going to be filling a new house in 2 months...
Scoopers helping Scoopers! 

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2020, 06:52:37 PM »
Last time I sold a house I had the RE agent get in contact with the buyer to see if they wanted any of the furniture I was going to donate. It helped me avoid moving a hutch and a sideboard.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2020, 08:42:42 AM »

Go to Charitynavigator.org if you need more places to donate.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2020, 09:05:26 AM »
We have donated furniture to the local Habitat REstore.  They either sell the items or use them to furnish the houses they build.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2020, 09:38:57 AM »
Let Scoop help.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2020, 09:48:05 AM »
We have donated furniture to the local Habitat REstore.  They either sell the items or use them to furnish the houses they build.

We have done this as well, both for furniture, and for old cabinets that were removed when we remodeled our kitchen and bathrooms. The cabinets were dated but made of solid wood, and REStore was happy to have them.

With large size donations, they will probably send a truck to pick them up.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2020, 12:15:36 PM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2020, 10:12:54 PM »
From a U of Chicago Hospital doctor:

@emilymicheleL: My hospital is filling up fast and my colleagues across the city are also seeing big increases. All the pts coming in now were infected long before the stay at home order. Will need more time to see positive effect. So glad we acted as soon as we did, though. https://twitter.com/srahj/status/1242569152117854209

feedback