[Today at 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[Today at 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Illinois  (Read 95524 times)

jfmu

• Starter
Re: Illinois
« Reply #525 on: August 24, 2020, 08:31:40 AM »
My sister, the nurse, who works both at a trauma center and suburban hospitals, says things getting worse again.  More beds devoted to Covid, supplies getting tight,  and more negative outcomes.

Anecdotal I know.  Hate to be a negativo but sounds like things are going to get worse again in Chicago area.

Not great to hear and hopefully isolated. The numbers the state is providing don't show that type of trend.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #526 on: August 24, 2020, 08:47:07 AM »
My sister, the nurse, who works both at a trauma center and suburban hospitals, says things getting worse again.  More beds devoted to Covid, supplies getting tight,  and more negative outcomes.

Anecdotal I know.  Hate to be a negativo but sounds like things are going to get worse again in Chicago area.

The problem with antecdotal evidence:

Have some patience, FFS.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #527 on: August 24, 2020, 08:50:33 AM »
I ran into a nurse a few weeks ago from Swedish Covenant, in the Ravenswood/Lincoln Square area. At that point she said they were holding steady but worried.
People are out socializing, I see teens/young adults hanging out in groups with no precautions, people having parties, not wearing masks, too many people traveling. In addition, I think we are also simply surrounded by other states who have been much more open for far longer than Illinois has been, so it’s easy to run across the state line. When we were still in phase 1, I would hear people call into radio stations proudly talking about how ‘normal’ things were in  Indiana.
Even now I read how south suburban parents are trying to enroll their kids in different fall sports leagues in Indiana, because they have been shut down here.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #528 on: August 24, 2020, 09:02:13 AM »
I ran into a nurse a few weeks ago from Swedish Covenant, in the Ravenswood/Lincoln Square area. At that point she said they were holding steady but worried.
People are out socializing, I see teens/young adults hanging out in groups with no precautions, people having parties, not wearing masks, too many people traveling. In addition, I think we are also simply surrounded by other states who have been much more open for far longer than Illinois has been, so it’s easy to run across the state line. When we were still in phase 1, I would hear people call into radio stations proudly talking about how ‘normal’ things were in  Indiana.
Even now I read how south suburban parents are trying to enroll their kids in different fall sports leagues in Indiana, because they have been shut down here.

I used to live in Lincoln Square.  I miss Swedish Covenant's gym (Galter Center).  Great gym and great staff.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #529 on: August 24, 2020, 10:30:23 AM »
I’m thinking of switching, once I feel ready to go back to the gym, so good to know. I have heard on Nextdoor that they have been  diligent about following protocols, which I am glad to hear.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #530 on: August 24, 2020, 11:27:58 AM »
Not great to hear and hopefully isolated. The numbers the state is providing don't show that type of trend.

We are nearly back to peak per-day new cases. I think we'll be locked down again in the next month.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/illinois-coronavirus-cases.html

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #531 on: August 24, 2020, 12:06:44 PM »
We're talking about different things. I'm talking about hospitalizations and ICU beds and deaths have dropped fairly significantly over the past 30-45 days
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 12:08:25 PM by jfmu »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #532 on: August 24, 2020, 12:12:27 PM »
We are nearly back to peak per-day new cases. I think we'll be locked down again in the next month.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/illinois-coronavirus-cases.html

The case total here is a bit misleading, in that the state has seen a major surge in testing over the past week, perhaps coinciding with the return to school.
In May, we were seeing 2,000+ daily cases from 13,000 tests. Today we're seeing 2,000 cases from 50,000+ tests.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #533 on: August 24, 2020, 12:49:59 PM »
We're talking about different things. I'm talking about hospitalizations and ICU beds and deaths have dropped fairly significantly over the past 30-45 days

I presume those are Illinois numbers?  IL numbers could look okay for a short time even though Chicago would be increasing.  Sooner or later it will show in those total IL numbers though.  Let's hope they don't.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #534 on: August 24, 2020, 12:54:28 PM »
yes - IL

Chicago MSA is 75% of the state's population. I think it would have already showed up...

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #535 on: August 24, 2020, 01:28:07 PM »
I’m thinking of switching, once I feel ready to go back to the gym, so good to know. I have heard on Nextdoor that they have been  diligent about following protocols, which I am glad to hear.

I wish our Nextdoor was more active.  The only people who post are MLMers hawking their crap.
Have some patience, FFS.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #536 on: August 24, 2020, 04:08:18 PM »
Right now Cook is actually not one of the counties on the watch list for reimplementing restrictions, those are mostly in the central and southern areas.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #537 on: August 24, 2020, 04:36:04 PM »
Right now Cook is actually not one of the counties on the watch list for reimplementing restrictions, those are mostly in the central and southern areas.

Yup. Pritzker just shut down indoor dining/drinking at restaurants and bars in Will and Kankakee counties, after doing the same last week in Metro East.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #538 on: September 28, 2020, 07:18:29 PM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #539 on: September 28, 2020, 07:34:06 PM »
Saw this blind item and wondering if it might be JBP.  Any other guesses?:

In case you did not know, rules for business opening, closures, or restrictions in the United States are made on a state-by-state basis by that state’s government, led by the Governor.

This particular State’s Governor said that it was unsafe for people in his state to attend sporting events. He actually banned fans from the stands.

The local professional football team played a game recently. Since Governor is a football fan, you might think that he watched the game on TV from the comfort of his living room sofa.

Nope!

He came to the stadium with a group of people to watch the game in person. There was a strict no photos rule. He didn’t want the public to know that he was there.

He might have even wandered into the locker room after the game.

Rules for thee… but not for me!
Have some patience, FFS.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #540 on: September 28, 2020, 07:37:31 PM »

I wish this was the most outrageous example of this in the last 24hrs. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #541 on: September 28, 2020, 07:49:16 PM »
I wish this was the most outrageous example of this in the last 24hrs.

Me, too.
Have some patience, FFS.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #542 on: September 28, 2020, 08:04:13 PM »
Saw this blind item and wondering if it might be JBP.  Any other guesses?:

In case you did not know, rules for business opening, closures, or restrictions in the United States are made on a state-by-state basis by that state’s government, led by the Governor.

This particular State’s Governor said that it was unsafe for people in his state to attend sporting events. He actually banned fans from the stands.

The local professional football team played a game recently. Since Governor is a football fan, you might think that he watched the game on TV from the comfort of his living room sofa.

Nope!

He came to the stadium with a group of people to watch the game in person. There was a strict no photos rule. He didn’t want the public to know that he was there.

He might have even wandered into the locker room after the game.

My guess is that it was Sisolak from Nevada.  Huge Raiders fan, and I know the NFL is investigating unauthorized guests in the locker room post game.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #543 on: October 27, 2020, 05:17:27 PM »
Indoor service suspended at Chicago bars and restaurants. Bars and restaurants in the city must close by 11 p.m. and all patrons must be seated at outdoor tables. Gatherings must be limited to 25 people or 25% of a room’s overall capacity.

https://news.wttw.com/2020/10/27/indoor-service-chicago-bars-restaurants-suspended-amid-covid-19-spike

Officials on Tuesday reported 4,000 new COVID-19 cases and 46 virus-related deaths in Illinois.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #544 on: October 27, 2020, 05:37:41 PM »

Officials on Tuesday reported 4,000 new COVID-19 cases and 46 virus-related deaths in Illinois.

Let's go, guys. Wisconsin is still winning. 5,200+ cases. 64 deaths.

Step it up, Illinois.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #545 on: October 27, 2020, 05:38:57 PM »
Let's go, guys. Wisconsin is still winning. 5,200+ cases. 64 deaths.

Step it up, Illinois.

Not a fair fight. Illinois is actually trying to mitigate.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #546 on: October 28, 2020, 03:33:08 PM »
IHSA going to play basketball... not the smartest of the sports to give the green light for if you ask me but I guess we'll see
Maigh Eo for Sam

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #547 on: October 28, 2020, 05:20:08 PM »
IHSA going to play basketball... not the smartest of the sports to give the green light for if you ask me but I guess we'll see

Pritzker brought up the legal liability of schools deciding to not follow state guidelines. Schools are worried about the state Board of Education withholding funds, too.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/10/28/21538695/ihsa-high-school-sports-defy-pritzker-basketball

Hopefully schools themselves are smarter than the jokers at the IHSA.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #548 on: October 30, 2020, 10:33:34 AM »
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/illinois-keeps-a-secret-list-of-thousands-of-coronavirus-outbreaks-now-nbc-5-has-it/2361313/

The "Secret List that Illinois has been keeping" about outbreaks, and NBC got it. Pretty sensationalist, but still:

Not a ton of data here (only 3,103 cases successfully contact traced) compared to the total number of cases Illinois has seen, and pretty poor job contact tracing just like the rest of the USA. No wonder they've kept it private so far, imo.

Outbreak category (cases resulting)
58 preschools (235 cases)
69 grade schools (226 cases)
28 colleges (226 cases)
42 churches (414 cases)
118 restaurants and bars (448 cases)
72 retail stores and businesse (322 cases)

That adds up to 1,871 cases. The remaining 1,142 were from private parties slash get-togethers.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #549 on: October 30, 2020, 11:11:53 AM »
We’re not where we need to be on contact tracing, but apparently people are also ignoring the contact tracers.