[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 314161 times)

pacearrow02

• Starter
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #2775 on: May 13, 2021, 09:55:31 PM »
Masks need to be worn in busses, planes, trains, airports, bus stations. Anywhere that federal, state, local rules and regulations require a mask, including local businesses and workplaces.

But people don't actually read, they just hear what they want to hear.

Planes, airports, and different mass travel situations I can see this being enforced.  God luck everywhere else, just words on paper at this point.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2776 on: May 14, 2021, 07:02:13 AM »
Masks need to be worn in busses, planes, trains, airports, bus stations. Anywhere that federal, state, local rules and regulations require a mask, including local businesses and workplaces.

But people don't actually read, they just hear what they want to hear.

Sorry. Next time I’ll quote the actual text. But the point I was addressing is that it does not include large, indoor crowds. Like a sporting event.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2777 on: May 14, 2021, 05:46:12 PM »
Sorry. Next time I’ll quote the actual text. But the point I was addressing is that it does not include large, indoor crowds. Like a sporting event.

It's all good. I was trying to add to your statement, not argue. In the future, I'll argue so that it's more clear.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2778 on: August 12, 2021, 07:07:27 PM »
https://twitter.com/MollyBeck/status/1425924483676884992?s=19
Republican lawmakers are circulating a bill that would allow workers to collect unemployment if they quit a job over a vaccine mandate.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #2779 on: August 12, 2021, 07:37:48 PM »
Huh, I thought unemployment payments incentivized laziness. It’s real tough to keep up.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2780 on: August 12, 2021, 07:48:51 PM »
Waste of time. Evers will never sign it.
Have some patience, FFS.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2781 on: August 12, 2021, 10:21:36 PM »
Huh, I thought unemployment payments incentivized laziness. It’s real tough to keep up.

Backdoor way of trying to punish employers who mandate masks.  Absurd, but points for creativity.  Dirty pool at its finest

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2782 on: August 12, 2021, 10:37:25 PM »
Backdoor way of trying to punish employers who mandate masks.  Absurd, but points for creativity.  Dirty pool at its finest
How would that punish employers? I am not deeply familiar with unemployment laws so apologies if that is a dumb question.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2783 on: August 12, 2021, 10:45:21 PM »
How would that punish employers? I am not deeply familiar with unemployment laws so apologies if that is a dumb question.

All employers pay unemployment insurance.  Firing for cause (violated company policy, no vaccine, no unemployment paid) is far cheaper than  layoff (no vaccine, unemployment paid).

Also why I suggested earlier that many employers will choose to put unvaccinated employees on unpaid leave.  If they choose to quit after that, no unemployment disputes.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2784 on: August 12, 2021, 10:54:03 PM »
All employers pay unemployment insurance.  Firing for cause (violated company policy, no vaccine, no unemployment paid) is far cheaper than  layoff (no vaccine, unemployment paid).

Also why I suggested earlier that many employers will choose to put unvaccinated employees on unpaid leave.  If they choose to quit after that, no unemployment disputes.
Again, sorry if dumb question, but don't employers pay into the system based on employee headcount, and actual unemployment payments are made at the state level to the actual unemployed person?

If I understand correctly you are saying employers have to pay for the unemployment based on how many people they layoff?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2785 on: August 12, 2021, 10:59:02 PM »
If I understand correctly you are saying employers have to pay for the unemployment based on how many people they layoff?

Yes, they do.  Let me google that for you:

https://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2020/article/the-cost-of-layoffs-in-ui-taxes.htm
States use two primary methods for determining an employer’s UI tax rate.3 In both methods, when an employer lays off a worker, all of the UI benefits received by that worker are assigned back,4 on the basis of specific rules for assigning benefits, to the employer’s experience-rating formulation. The first method, called the reserve-ratio method, is used by 30 states, Puerto Rico, and the District of Columbia; the second method, called the benefit-ratio method, is used by 16 states.

In reserve-ratio systems, an employer’s “experience rate” is a decreasing function, whereby the difference between all taxes paid and all benefits assigned (from laid-off employees) is divided by the employer’s average covered payroll. Taxes paid and benefits assigned are usually summed over all past years of the employer’s existence, and average payroll is typically the average for the last 3 years. Each year, the previous year’s amounts of benefits assigned and taxes paid are incorporated into the employer’s “reserve balance,” and a new reserve ratio is derived. When the amount of benefits assigned exceeds the amount of taxes paid, the employer’s reserve balance decreases and its UI tax rate goes up. Conversely, when the benefits assigned are lower than the taxes paid, the employer’s reserve balance increases and its tax rate goes down.

In benefit-ratio systems, an employer’s experience rate depends only on the ratio of the benefits collected by laid-off employees to the level of the employer’s taxable wages (both benefits and taxable wages are calculated for the last 3 years). When the benefits assigned to the employer increase, the employer’s benefit ratio goes up, and so does the corresponding tax rate.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 11:00:35 PM by rocky_warrior »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2786 on: August 12, 2021, 11:02:05 PM »
Again, sorry if dumb question, but don't employers pay into the system based on employee headcount, and actual unemployment payments are made at the state level to the actual unemployed person?

As an employer, your unemployment tax rate increases when you have claims.   So its not like you're directly paying cash to the employee, but your tax liabilities increase so it does directly affect your cash flow/bottom line

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2787 on: August 12, 2021, 11:07:55 PM »
Yes, they do.  Let me google that for you:

https://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2020/article/the-cost-of-layoffs-in-ui-taxes.htm
Using the interwebs! No fair.

Ah, they old "if you actually use this insurance we'll increase your rates" game.

Thanks to you and JWags for the answers.

Hmmm, totally talking out of my ass here, but I would think that the calculus is that any additional unemployment insurance an employer has to pay is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of even a single COVID-caused hospitalization, at least for self-insured employers...and even fully-insured employers that would face a huge spike in rates after a catastrophic claim or two.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 11:12:58 PM by TSmith34 »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2788 on: August 12, 2021, 11:13:55 PM »
Using the interwebs! No fair.

Ah, they old "if you actually use this insurance we'll increase your rates" game.

Thanks to you and JWags for the answers.

I just re-read your question, and JWags was more correct in answering that layoffs (and not firings) affect your insurance rate - it's not an actual payment to employees.   But over time it affects the bottom line - sometimes significantly.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2789 on: August 12, 2021, 11:25:26 PM »
I just re-read your question, and JWags was more correct in answering that layoffs (and not firings) affect your insurance rate - it's not an actual payment to employees.   But over time it affects the bottom line - sometimes significantly.

Yep.  My company's old CFO explained it to me, paraphrasing..

"Companies fight you on unemployment claims, not because of you specifically, but because of how your claim can affect them in the future.  Its like if you have an acrimonious break up with a GF, if you can convince them and everyone else that THEY were the instigator of the breakup, you come off better in appearance in your future dating opportunities"

Not a perfect analogy, but I got it and it made me smirk.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2790 on: August 13, 2021, 05:38:25 AM »
Yep.  My company's old CFO explained it to me, paraphrasing..

"Companies fight you on unemployment claims, not because of you specifically, but because of how your claim can affect them in the future.  Its like if you have an acrimonious break up with a GF, if you can convince them and everyone else that THEY were the instigator of the breakup, you come off better in appearance in your future dating opportunities"

Not a perfect analogy, but I got it and it made me smirk.

Curious question how does the rating effect an employer that is seasonal? Landscaping, construction, etc where the entire labor force goes on unemployment seasonally?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2791 on: August 13, 2021, 07:20:30 AM »
Curious question how does the rating effect an employer that is seasonal? Landscaping, construction, etc where the entire labor force goes on unemployment seasonally?

Most seasonal employers have very high unemployment insurance rates. The seasonal employee is, however, required to look for work. They aren't supposed to sit around and collect unemployment until next season.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2792 on: August 13, 2021, 09:29:35 AM »
So currently WI Republicans want more people living off government welfare and not working, and also want to interfere with private business decisions?

Hmm maybe it's not about policy...
Maigh Eo for Sam

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2793 on: August 13, 2021, 10:24:33 AM »
Most seasonal employers have very high unemployment insurance rates. The seasonal employee is, however, required to look for work. They aren't supposed to sit around and collect unemployment until next season.

Right, supposed to. Basically call their Union hall and get put on the work list. They'll never get called back out until spring though.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2794 on: August 13, 2021, 11:20:47 AM »
Right, supposed to. Basically call their Union hall and get put on the work list. They'll never get called back out until spring though.

Most seasonal jobs are not union. 
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2795 on: August 13, 2021, 11:27:56 AM »
Most seasonal jobs are not union. 

Probably, I'm coming from a construction slant where they are mostly union.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2796 on: August 17, 2021, 11:02:07 AM »
Dane Co resumes indoor mask mandates.

70% of the county is vaccined, 20% is under 12.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2797 on: August 17, 2021, 11:17:32 AM »
Dane Co resumes indoor mask mandates.

70% of the county is vaccined, 20% is under 12.

Cases have been flat for the last two weeks. Wonder if it's a preemptive move with kids coming back to UW.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2798 on: August 17, 2021, 11:18:05 AM »
Cases have been flat for the last two weeks. Wonder if it's a preemptive move with kids coming back to UW.

It's because they can.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2799 on: August 17, 2021, 12:19:48 PM »
Stupid as stupid does...

Dude with co-morbidities like him should really be more careful.

Sen. Andre Jacque of De Pere hospitalized after testing positive for COVID-19
https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2021/08/17/sen-andre-jacque-hospitalized-after-testing-positive-covid-19/8156902002/

'Sen. Andre Jacque, a Republican from De Pere, said Monday evening he and some family members tested positive late last week and that he was at the hospital with pneumonia. He did not say whether he had been admitted.

In recent months, Jacque has been one of most outspoken lawmakers against COVID-19 vaccine mandates and has authored legislation that would bar government officials or business owners from requiring Wisconsinites be vaccinated against COVID-19 or show proof of vaccination to access services.

Jacque said he has had pneumonia previously but did not immediately say whether his new bout was diagnosed as COVID-19 pneumonia.

He did not immediately say whether he had been vaccinated against COVID-19."

feedback