[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 11:16:57 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2020 Coaching Carousel  (Read 87755 times)

Litehouse

• All American
Re: 2020 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #300 on: April 27, 2020, 02:08:38 PM »
My first thought was Amaker has a good thing going at Harvard but given the Ivy League restrictions on certain eligibility issues, I can see why he’d have a wandering eye. 

How much is Amaker making at Harvard?  It seems like a nice gig for him, but if he's making $1M or less at Harvard and Wake throws an offer of $3M at him, it would be hard to turn down.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #301 on: April 27, 2020, 02:29:34 PM »
Two names the WF insider said are definitely in the mix at WF, that no one has talked about are: Tommy Amaker and he said the leading candidate right now, might very well be Thad Matta.

Thad no matta
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #302 on: April 27, 2020, 02:59:16 PM »

How much is Amaker making at Harvard?  It seems like a nice gig for him, but if he's making $1M or less at Harvard and Wake throws an offer of $3M at him, it would be hard to turn down.

Maybe, but his wife is on the faculty at Harvard.  Boston College put on a big press to get him a few years ago, and he turned them down.  It would seem to have been the perfect place for him to go if he wanted to move to a major conference.  Into the ACC and he would not even need to move.  Of course, BC is locked in the cellar of the ACC, so maybe he did not want to take a difficult job like that.  Right now, Wake seems no better and it is not in Boston.  Harvard does have its advantages. If he and his wife are both earning respectable salaries there, a big increase in pay may not seem as attractive.  Moreover, he can likely stay at Harvard until he dies.  Recruiting obviously is different.  That can be good or bad depending on your viewpoint.  Clearly there are kids he cannot recruit to Harvard.  OTOH, there are kids he does not need to recruit to Harvard. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #303 on: April 27, 2020, 03:20:02 PM »
Maybe, but his wife is on the faculty at Harvard.  Boston College put on a big press to get him a few years ago, and he turned them down.  It would seem to have been the perfect place for him to go if he wanted to move to a major conference.  Into the ACC and he would not even need to move.  Of course, BC is locked in the cellar of the ACC, so maybe he did not want to take a difficult job like that.  Right now, Wake seems no better and it is not in Boston.  Harvard does have its advantages. If he and his wife are both earning respectable salaries there, a big increase in pay may not seem as attractive.  Moreover, he can likely stay at Harvard until he dies.  Recruiting obviously is different.  That can be good or bad depending on your viewpoint.  Clearly there are kids he cannot recruit to Harvard.  OTOH, there are kids he does not need to recruit to Harvard.

Yep. Some people are just happy where they are. Bob McKillop, the very successful coach at Davidson, is another good example. You have more than enough $$, less pressure (still some, of course, but it's mostly what you put on yourself), a shot at conference titles, a chance to have a positive impact on athletes who want to be students and who usually stick around for 4 years,  likely longevity at a place where you're comfortable, etc. It sounds pretty effen good, if you ask me.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #304 on: April 27, 2020, 04:05:44 PM »
Getting paid $15M to go away sounds pretty effen good too.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #305 on: April 27, 2020, 04:43:26 PM »
Getting paid $15M to go away sounds pretty effen good too.

The $$$ sounds good ... but if you're true to yourself you know you left as a complete failure.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #306 on: April 27, 2020, 05:12:24 PM »
How many of those have limited athlete admission slots like Wake for those below a certain threshold? BC and....

I’m sure all of Miami’s football players are rocking 30’s on their ACT’s and Syracuse is telling their other coaches “don’t even bother” for hoops recruits. It’s like Northwestern in the Big Ten and Stanford in the PAC 12; they have much leniency with admission than the rest of their conference peers. For athletics the ACC is loaded, for the most part, with large public schools with low academic standards. But keep arguing for the sake of arguing. Next up you’ll resort to defending Wisconsin’s academic rigor for athletics.

F#cking hilarious

Death on call

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #307 on: April 27, 2020, 08:31:08 PM »
From 1940-1990, Wake Forest scattered 7 NCAA appearances across the decades. From 1991-2005, they went 12 times in 15 years. Then back to 3 in the last 15.

I'd argue that Wake Forest hasn't been less than Wake Forest for more than a decade, I'd argue they were more than Wake Forest for 15 years and have reverted to what they are.

In the last ten years Wake Forest has eight losing seasons.   The previous twenty years they had zero.  It is one thing to not make a tournament, quite another to not even compile winning records.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

muguru

• All American
« Reply #308 on: April 29, 2020, 09:33:26 PM »
Wake Forest will either hire East Tenn St's Steve Forbes or UNCG's Wes Miller as their next Head Coach. Something should leak tomorrow. Thad Matta was also a candidate.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #309 on: April 29, 2020, 10:00:34 PM »
Wake Forest will either hire East Tenn St's Steve Forbes or UNCG's Wes Miller as their next Head Coach. Something should leak tomorrow. Thad Matta was also a candidate.

Source?

If so, I think that's a mistake for either of them. Forbes and Miller could both get solid high-major jobs in a normal year. Wake Forest isn't what it once was and it's a lot harder to break through in the ACC than it was when Wake was last relevant.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #310 on: April 29, 2020, 10:07:02 PM »
Source?

If so, I think that's a mistake for either of them. Forbes and Miller could both get solid high-major jobs in a normal year. Wake Forest isn't what it once was and it's a lot harder to break through in the ACC than it was when Wake was last relevant.

Evan Daniels and Les Johns the WF insider are both reporting the same thing

Looks like Steve Forbes will be the next Head coach at WF
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 07:03:31 AM by muguru »

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #311 on: April 30, 2020, 07:07:19 AM »
Not a done deal, but Goodman also reporting Wake Forest deal with Steve Forbes is close. He mentioned the previous relationship between Forbes and Wake Forest AD John Currie.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 07:19:35 AM by shoothoops »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #312 on: April 30, 2020, 07:20:55 AM »
That move probably makes more sense for Forbes than the other candidates. He's 55, so I imagine he wants to capitalize on a bigger job before retirement. If it doesn't go well, he can coach to 60 and think about hanging it up, if it does go well, he can put in 10-15 years.

For Miller, who may have his eye on UNC when Roy goes, I can't imagine going to Wake and losing for 3-4 seasons is the best audition tape to slide up Tobacco Road.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #313 on: April 30, 2020, 07:42:12 AM »
Wes Miller has been fine at Greensboro, but hardly spectacular.  1 NCAA bid in 8 years with this year TBD.  My guess is that he only got mention at Wake because of his family's connections.  No way he is the next guy at UNC unless a ton of others turn them down or he starts putting up some monster seasons.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #314 on: April 30, 2020, 07:48:14 AM »
That move probably makes more sense for Forbes than the other candidates. He's 55, so I imagine he wants to capitalize on a bigger job before retirement. If it doesn't go well, he can coach to 60 and think about hanging it up, if it does go well, he can put in 10-15 years.

For Miller, who may have his eye on UNC when Roy goes, I can't imagine going to Wake and losing for 3-4 seasons is the best audition tape to slide up Tobacco Road.

I'm just glad they didn't hire Matta..he was a candidate. Not sure any details beyond that, but he does get his last check from OSU next month. So I wonder if he's ready to get back into Coaching now, or if he's done for good?? I saw someone say that next years coaching carousel is expected to be crazy. How someone would know that already?? Who knows.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 07:50:59 AM by muguru »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #315 on: April 30, 2020, 08:09:39 AM »
I'm just glad they didn't hire Matta..he was a candidate. Not sure any details beyond that, but he does get his last check from OSU next month. So I wonder if he's ready to get back into Coaching now, or if he's done for good?? I saw someone say that next years coaching carousel is expected to be crazy. How someone would know that already?? Who knows.

If Wojo left/got canned, would I like our Warriors to consider Matta? I guess so. He's a proven commodity who had a heck of 10-year run at Ohio State and also won big at both Butler and Xavier.

Still, he did miss the tourney his last two seasons despite having recruited some highly rated players, he finished 10th in the B14 his final season, he had health issues, and there was talk of burnout.

Maybe he's healthy and his next job re-energizes him. Plus, he's in his mid-50s, so maybe he'll see his next job as a landing spot instead of a springboard.

Obviously, worth a long look if we ever get to that place.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #316 on: April 30, 2020, 08:15:58 AM »
Wes Miller has been fine at Greensboro, but hardly spectacular.  1 NCAA bid in 8 years with this year TBD.  My guess is that he only got mention at Wake because of his family's connections.  No way he is the next guy at UNC unless a ton of others turn them down or he starts putting up some monster seasons.

What family connections would get him mention at Wake?

And UNCG is really a tough place to win. Of the 3 SoCon conference titles and 2 tourney appearances in the schools history, he has 2 and 1, respectively. The only other was under Fran McCaffrey.

I agree that he’s not merited UNC looks at this point, but he’s definitely worthy of looks from a place like Wake. Most of those 8 seasons at UNCG were as one of the youngest coaches in D1 too

tower912

• All American
« Reply #317 on: April 30, 2020, 08:17:16 AM »
Guru, next year will theoretically be crazier because a lot of frustrated AD's looked at the world this spring and decided the last thing they needed was a coaching search.   So they hunkered down with what they have rather than conduct a search over the phone.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #318 on: April 30, 2020, 08:17:32 AM »
What family connections would get him mention at Wake?

And UNCG is really a tough place to win. Of the 3 SoCon conference titles and 2 tourney appearances in the schools history, he has 2 and 1, respectively. The only other was under Fran McCaffrey.

I agree that he’s not merited UNC looks at this point, but he’s definitely worthy of looks from a place like Wake. Most of those 8 seasons at UNCG were as one of the youngest coaches in D1 too

His dad used to be on Wake's Board of Trustees and he was the primary donor to the basketball practice facility.

https://godeacs.com/sports/2018/7/27/facilities-wake-miller-html.aspx
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #319 on: April 30, 2020, 08:24:52 AM »
Guru, next year will theoretically be crazier because a lot of frustrated AD's looked at the world this spring and decided the last thing they needed was a coaching search.   So they hunkered down with what they have rather than conduct a search over the phone.

Good point, I guess there were probably quite a few coaches on the hot seat that only survived because of covid-19

MU82

• All American
« Reply #320 on: April 30, 2020, 08:26:30 AM »

Agree with this 100%.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #321 on: April 30, 2020, 08:28:20 AM »
Conversely, athletic departments may be so strapped for cash that they won't be able to afford the buy-outs.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #322 on: April 30, 2020, 08:30:29 AM »
Conversely, athletic departments may be so strapped for cash that they won't be able to afford the buy-outs.

Maybe ... but, as was the case with Wake this year, most seem to be able to find the money when they really want to dump their coach.

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #323 on: April 30, 2020, 08:47:49 AM »
Maybe ... but, as was the case with Wake this year, most seem to be able to find the money when they really want to dump their coach.

I think you're right that ADs could find the money if they wanted to, but will need to work to justify the expense. Particularly in situations where the coach isn't failing as hard as Manning did.

For instance, from a financial standpoint, I don't think Marquette could justify firing Wojo anytime soon based on his performance.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #324 on: April 30, 2020, 09:14:36 AM »
They also will not be paying big salary's for new coaches.

feedback