Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: OT: Jay Wright to the Knicks??  (Read 18388 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: OT: Jay Wright to the Knicks??
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2020, 07:45:26 AM »
The purpose of 99% of mid and low majors is to be cannon fodder for the high majors and for one or two of them to make a run to the Sweet 16 every year (where they lose to a high major program) and one of them to make a run to the final four once about every decade (where they lose to a high major program). Despite this, only two programs have dropped from D1 to D2 in the past 15+ years and over a dozen have moved up to D1.

~98% of low and mid majors haven't made the tournament as at larges in this millennia. Despite this, programs keep getting added to D1 and all but 2 haven't moved down to D2.

Even if all the horror stories about every great mid and low major player getting poached comes true, have no fear. The mid and low majors will continue to suck like they always have. If the last 20 some years of irrelevance haven't driven them to drop from D1, I don't see why a few transfers will lead to that.

Yes.  This is exactly right.

And let me also say that it's hard to take Cheeks seriously on the whole "loss of opportunity" with lost scholarships if teams do indeed more down a level.  This is the same guy that goes on about the moral hazard of things like student loan forgiveness, which would provide a lot more opportunity than scholarships at a low major basketball school.

But I guess he's all for "opportunity" as long as it entertains him.  Like a minstrel show.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2020, 08:12:38 AM »
ACC joins Big 14 in supporting a one-time transfer exemption for student-athletes in all sports.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/28724972/acc-student-athletes-allowed-one-transfer-exemption

The league announced Monday that it "unanimously concluded" at its annual winter meetings that athletes in all sports should be allowed to transfer one time without having to sit out a year of competition. NCAA rules currently allow a one-time transfer exemption for athletes in all but five sports: football, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball and men's ice hockey.

"The ACC discussed the transfer environment and unanimously concluded that as a matter of principle we support a one-time transfer opportunity for all student-athletes, regardless of sport," the ACC said in a statement Monday. "As a conference, we look forward to continuing the discussion nationally."

A Big Ten athletic director said the league hopes the moratorium soon will be lifted, and the proposal could be considered as early as this spring, with a potential vote at the 2021 NCAA convention.

That the NCAA has discriminated against athletes in those 5 sports is absurd.

The one-time exemption would seem to be a reasonable compromise to give the athletes the freedom that all scholarship athletes in every other sport, as well as every scholarship student who isn't an athlete, currently has.

It also would eliminate the completely random granting or not granting of waivers that takes place now. Izzo was right about that.

Eventually, even the one-year rule probably will go away, but at least it would be a start toward a policy that is fair to the athletes and not tilted 100% toward the power -- coaches, ADs and institutional bureaucrats.

I predict the obvious: This would not harm the high-majors one iota, and it actually would strengthen athletics at smaller and mid-sized schools.

Or we could scream from the rooftops that this will ruin college basketball and football -- just as Chicken Littles 50 years ago screamed about the doom that Title IX 50 would bring.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2020, 08:20:27 AM »
But I guess he's all for "opportunity" as long as it entertains him.  Like a minstrel show.

It's about protecting the existing power structure, maintaining the status quo and making sure that that the help understands its place. Always.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2020, 08:49:38 AM »
The purpose of 99% of mid and low majors is to be cannon fodder for the high majors and for one or two of them to make a run to the Sweet 16 every year (where they lose to a high major program) and one of them to make a run to the final four once about every decade (where they lose to a high major program). Despite this, only two programs have dropped from D1 to D2 in the past 15+ years and over a dozen have moved up to D1.

~98% of low and mid majors haven't made the tournament as at larges in this millennia. Despite this, programs keep getting added to D1 and all but 2 haven't moved down to D2.

Even if all the horror stories about every great mid and low major player getting poached comes true, have no fear. The mid and low majors will continue to suck like they always have. If the last 20 some years of irrelevance haven't driven them to drop from D1, I don't see why a few transfers will lead to that.

Lol

The “purpose” of mid and low major teams is to be cannon fodder?  TAMU I expect that silliness from others here, not you.  Especially since you work in college athletics.  That is not the purpose of those schools at all....if it were they would be independents and not play each other for the majority of their schedules.  Come on.

Your explanation of schools dropping down is in a world where free agency doesn’t exist....so it is entirely immaterial because the condition we are talking about doesn’t exist today.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2020, 08:50:40 AM »
What happened to WhoaJoe? Did I miss that? Did Cheeks get tired of switching between accounts or did WhoaJoe just say everything he needed to say in 861 posts in 34 days and has now disappeared back into the ether?

He isn’t me...proven...that’s what happened. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2020, 08:53:57 AM »

Yes.  This is exactly right.

And let me also say that it's hard to take Cheeks seriously on the whole "loss of opportunity" with lost scholarships if teams do indeed more down a level.  This is the same guy that goes on about the moral hazard of things like student loan forgiveness, which would provide a lot more opportunity than scholarships at a low major basketball school.

Oh my God....I cannot believe you made that argument....wait...I can believe it because it is so lame.  Politics, but fine.

Student loan forgiveness....uhm the student accepted that loan to go to school...did not have to.  It is their ethical and moral obligation to accept their debts and pay them back...that is how society works.  If you teach people obligations of debts no longer matter we are screwed. 

What that has to do with athletic opportunities being ripped away from kids because you want to help the 1% is beyond any functional human being.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2020, 08:57:56 AM »
It's about protecting the existing power structure, maintaining the status quo and making sure that that the help understands its place. Always.

Ah yes....the class warfare card played by the same people here again....it’s what they do....just do it in a clever way....eh Chuck?

“The help”.  Good one...amazing.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2020, 09:01:50 AM »
Im sorry, but what does any of this have to do with the Subject of the Title of this thread???  Geez...  Maybe its time to  LOCK this or at least, throw it into the Superbar ! ! !    8-)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2020, 09:02:23 AM »
ACC joins Big 14 in supporting a one-time transfer exemption for student-athletes in all sports.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/28724972/acc-student-athletes-allowed-one-transfer-exemption

The league announced Monday that it "unanimously concluded" at its annual winter meetings that athletes in all sports should be allowed to transfer one time without having to sit out a year of competition. NCAA rules currently allow a one-time transfer exemption for athletes in all but five sports: football, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball and men's ice hockey.

"The ACC discussed the transfer environment and unanimously concluded that as a matter of principle we support a one-time transfer opportunity for all student-athletes, regardless of sport," the ACC said in a statement Monday. "As a conference, we look forward to continuing the discussion nationally."

A Big Ten athletic director said the league hopes the moratorium soon will be lifted, and the proposal could be considered as early as this spring, with a potential vote at the 2021 NCAA convention.

That the NCAA has discriminated against athletes in those 5 sports is absurd.

The one-time exemption would seem to be a reasonable compromise to give the athletes the freedom that all scholarship athletes in every other sport, as well as every scholarship student who isn't an athlete, currently has.

It also would eliminate the completely random granting or not granting of waivers that takes place now. Izzo was right about that.

Eventually, even the one-year rule probably will go away, but at least it would be a start toward a policy that is fair to the athletes and not tilted 100% toward the power -- coaches, ADs and institutional bureaucrats.

I predict the obvious: This would not harm the high-majors one iota, and it actually would strengthen athletics at smaller and mid-sized schools.

Or we could scream from the rooftops that this will ruin college basketball and football -- just as Chicken Littles 50 years ago screamed about the doom that Title IX 50 would bring.

Title IX brought great opportunities for many, it also ruined for many....get educated.  There was plenty of collateral damage with programs cut across the country.  To suggest that it didn’t harm some people would be foolish and uneducated.

I’m glad you said high majors because I think even you know what I have been saying is true, though you despise admitting it, mid and lower majors will not benefit from these rule changes...they simply cannot because there is nowhere for them to go.   I think you are wrong about high majors...there will be plenty of schools hurt there, too.

Notice the conferences wanting to do this....THE HAVES.   It’s just part of the “power structure” trying to keep their power in place because they know it will damage the others.  This establishes a farm system within Division 1 to help them scoop up players lower schools develop.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 09:14:26 AM by Cheeks »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2020, 09:06:35 AM »
About the transfer rule the ACC and BiG Ten support....from an SI article today...hmm...EXACTLY WHAT I SAID.

”What is being pushed for is a new rule that would allow players to transfer once without penalty. The ACC now joins the Big Ten in support of a one-time transfer rule. Notre Dame is an ACC member in every sport except for football.

While the leagues are stating this in a way that comes across as player-friendly, I contend it is a rule that would benefits the coaches and teams far more than players, and that's ultimately what this is about.

This transfer rule opens up a new talent-pool for teams to tap into. The best teams can now poach players from inferior teams in their league, and those teams could then start raiding other programs, including Group of Six programs.

This would also make it easier for teams to nudge players out of their programs in an attempt to open up scholarships for incoming recruits. While being masked as a rule that will allow players who were lied to, or players that are buried on the depth chart to find new opportunities, it will go far, far beyond that, and smart coaches and administrators know this.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2020, 09:19:51 AM »
About the transfer rule the ACC and BiG Ten support....from an SI article today...hmm...EXACTLY WHAT I SAID.

”What is being pushed for is a new rule that would allow players to transfer once without penalty. The ACC now joins the Big Ten in support of a one-time transfer rule. Notre Dame is an ACC member in every sport except for football.

While the leagues are stating this in a way that comes across as player-friendly, I contend it is a rule that would benefits the coaches and teams far more than players, and that's ultimately what this is about.

This transfer rule opens up a new talent-pool for teams to tap into. The best teams can now poach players from inferior teams in their league, and those teams could then start raiding other programs, including Group of Six programs.

This would also make it easier for teams to nudge players out of their programs in an attempt to open up scholarships for incoming recruits. While being masked as a rule that will allow players who were lied to, or players that are buried on the depth chart to find new opportunities, it will go far, far beyond that, and smart coaches and administrators know this.”

Toughen up, buttercup.  Be better.  If your program stinks and is losing players to better programs, make your program better.

“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2020, 09:32:31 AM »

Please note, this is not a Sports Illustrated article, but rather the "Irish Breakdown" Notre Dame blog.
Though it's fun to see Scoop's resident anti-media crusader cite the authority of the media every time it suits his interests.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2020, 09:50:58 AM »
Did a kid change schools from across town and steal your lunch money when you were 10? Why do you feel so strongly about this issue that it merits dozens of posts on a thread that is, ostensibly, about whether Jay Wright might leave Nova to coach the Knicks?

For that matter, do you ever reflect on how much time and energy you pour into a message board that--how to put this mildly--disproportionately does not seem to appreciate your contributions?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2020, 10:17:48 AM »
In simplest terms, let it happen if it starts to. Cause Armageddon Then the NCAA which is member institutions will. Adopt a different rule

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2020, 10:28:38 AM »
So if my calculations are correct Chicos has now ruined 100% of the threads on this board.  My plea to the moderators is to ban this narcissistic sociopath, it would make the board immensely more enjoyable for, i believe, everyone else.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2020, 10:36:41 AM »
So if my calculations are correct Chicos has now ruined 100% of the threads on this board.  My plea to the moderators is to ban this narcissistic sociopath, it would make the board immensely more enjoyable for, i believe, everyone else.

Ranked thread, recruiting, and MU in the NBA threads are still solid.
Maigh Eo for Sam

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2020, 10:37:57 AM »
Ranked thread, recruiting, and MU in the NBA threads are still solid.
ssshhhhhh

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2020, 11:27:30 AM »
Oh my God....I cannot believe you made that argument....wait...I can believe it because it is so lame.  Politics, but fine.

Student loan forgiveness....uhm the student accepted that loan to go to school...did not have to.  It is their ethical and moral obligation to accept their debts and pay them back...that is how society works.  If you teach people obligations of debts no longer matter we are screwed. 

What that has to do with athletic opportunities being ripped away from kids because you want to help the 1% is beyond any functional human being.

Just exposing your ever present hypocrisy.  But at this point, that's pretty easy for everyone to see.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2020, 11:39:55 AM »
Meds?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2020, 12:19:15 PM »
Toughen up, buttercup.  Be better.  If your program stinks and is losing players to better programs, make your program better.

Every school goes through cycles, some more than others.  This is exactly why the HAVES will benefit in this arrangement and will lead to tampering, more cheating, etc because the work you do to land a kid at your school goes for naught.

You think coaches have favorites now, wait until this goes into effect and these pampered AAU kids don’t get the exact minutes they want, etc....going to be great.  Creating a society of kids that don’t get their way, just keep on moving on to the next place.  Wonderful.  Going to do wonders for a kinder more patient society I am sure.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2020, 12:22:37 PM »
Please note, this is not a Sports Illustrated article, but rather the "Irish Breakdown" Notre Dame blog.
Though it's fun to see Scoop's resident anti-media crusader cite the authority of the media every time it suits his interests.

Please note it is from a Sports Illustrated owned and operated website and has SI as the holder of the rights.  You can pretend all you wish to ignore that.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2020, 12:23:18 PM »
Did a kid change schools from across town and steal your lunch money when you were 10? Why do you feel so strongly about this issue that it merits dozens of posts on a thread that is, ostensibly, about whether Jay Wright might leave Nova to coach the Knicks?

For that matter, do you ever reflect on how much time and energy you pour into a message board that--how to put this mildly--disproportionately does not seem to appreciate your contributions?

Put me on ignore...real simple

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2020, 12:24:37 PM »

Just exposing your ever present hypocrisy.  But at this point, that's pretty easy for everyone to see.

Ironic as you care about the 1% haves here and the harm this will do you minorities and women athletes...your hypocrisy in spades well known to those that see you post on this and other subjects daily.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2020, 12:25:26 PM »
Ironic as you care about the 1% haves here and the harm this will do you minorities and women athletes...your hypocrisy in spades well known to those that see you post on this and other subjects daily.

You have zero proof it’ll harm minorities or women.  Zero
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2020, 12:42:32 PM »
These seem appropriate...
Chicos:

Everyone else:

feedback