[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: OT: Jay Wright to the Knicks??  (Read 18394 times)

panda

• All American
Re: OT: Jay Wright to the Knicks??
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2020, 08:55:20 PM »
It won’t ruin college sports either. 

College sports lust and greed is insatiable from the bottom to the top

Exactly. The idea the NCAA paid millions of dollars to lobbyists to make sure student athletes don’t get paid is hilariously bad.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2020, 08:57:06 PM »
Athletes support this....I'm sure the 1%ers will.  Now, interview the athletes after their programs are dropped and their opportunities gone because of the consequences.....ahh, but who gives a crap about them....right Pakuni.

Do you support an equal distribution of NCAA athletics revenues among all the member institutions so as to assure that students at small and medium size programs receive the same resources as those at major programs and to protect their opportunities?
I mean, since you care so very much about these athletes - especially the women and minorities  ;) - surely you must see the injustice in SEC and Big 10 schools receiving in the neighborhood of $45 million a year via their conference affiliation, while programs like North Texas and Tulane must operate on a fraction of that.

Let's make this happen. Are you with me?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2020, 08:58:28 PM »
Student athletes don’t get paid so there’s no need for a salary cap.

Every school can only offer 13 scholarships.

Boom problem solved.

My God, how you devalue our degree is incredible.

Uhm, sunshine, many of the upper echelon teams don't even use all 13 scholarships.  Also part of the recruiting process will now be to slot in an existing player on another team instead of taking that fringe 3 / 4 star kid for one that has already proven capable.  As one graduates so there will be plenty of room for the top teams to scoop up who they want.

Let's not forget losing one key player at a school like MU, Dayton, Seton Hall, Arizona State, etc, etc is all it takes in hoops to deal a huge blow to a program. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2020, 08:58:55 PM »
Exactly. The idea the NCAA paid millions of dollars to lobbyists to make sure student athletes don’t get paid is hilariously bad.

About 200, probably more, schools have no business being in Division 1 college basketball yet here we are.  Plenty of schools in lower levels fighting to get there.  The idea they are all going to now give up because of a new transfer rule or a potential NLI is preposterous
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2020, 08:59:16 PM »
It won’t ruin college sports either. 

College sports lust and greed is insatiable from the bottom to the top

It will significantly hurt a number of programs and change the landscape forever if it is done. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2020, 09:00:44 PM »
It will significantly hurt a number of programs and change the landscape forever if it is done.

The landscape changes all the time.  Welcome to America
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2020, 09:01:07 PM »
About 200, probably more, schools have no business being in Division 1 college basketball yet here we are.  Plenty of schools in lower levels fighting to get there.  The idea they are all going to now give up because of a new transfer rule or a potential NLI is preposterous

Dayton was ranked like 180th a few years ago, today they are 5th.  Who are you to judge where that line is....by your definition only the top 150 schools should make it. 

Who said they are ALL going to give up?  It is preposterous because no one said it except you that all would.  I certainly didn't.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2020, 09:01:46 PM »
The landscape changes all the time.  Welcome to America

So does climate...welcome to Earth (and Mars, Jupiter, Venus, etc, etc)

panda

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2020, 09:04:14 PM »
My God, how you devalue our degree is incredible.

Uhm, sunshine, many of the upper echelon teams don't even use all 13 scholarships.  Also part of the recruiting process will now be to slot in an existing player on another team instead of taking that fringe 3 / 4 star kid for one that has already proven capable.  As one graduates so there will be plenty of room for the top teams to scoop up who they want.

Let's not forget losing one key player at a school like MU, Dayton, Seton Hall, Arizona State, etc, etc is all it takes in hoops to deal a huge blow to a program.

And the 3/4 star will go to a different school. It’s not like they just disappear into the abyss.

I can’t imagine what would happen to a program like Marquette if they hypothetically lost two players like the Hauser’s. Can you sunshine?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:08:24 PM by panda »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2020, 09:05:11 PM »
Do you support an equal distribution of NCAA athletics revenues among all the member institutions so as to assure that students at small and medium size programs receive the same resources as those at major programs and to protect their opportunities?
I mean, since you care so very much about these athletes - especially the women and minorities  ;) - surely you must see the injustice in SEC and Big 10 schools receiving in the neighborhood of $45 million a year via their conference affiliation, while programs like North Texas and Tulane must operate on a fraction of that.

Let's make this happen. Are you with me?

Athletes in ALL DI schools are provided with scholarships to attend that school as allowed by their sports.   A student athlete at Prairie View A&M is getting their full scholarship on the basketball team the same way a student athlete at Duke is.  Same deal....a free education in exchange for playing. 

What you want to do is take away that opportunity entirely from Prairie View A&M and maybe 50 to another 100 schools....or listen to Rico or Mike or others...the hell with 200 of them...just purge them.   

So tell me how the student athlete at Prairie View is getting screwed vs the one at Michigan?  Each school gets to make the decision on the level of investment for athletics, just as they do on the level of investment for the biology program, or internet speed on campus, or the health center....but at the end of the day, they are all receiving a scholarship to play.

Nice try counselor, really piss poor argument.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2020, 09:06:22 PM »
Dayton was ranked like 180th a few years ago, today they are 5th.  Who are you to judge where that line is....by your definition only the top 150 schools should make it. 

Who said they are ALL going to give up?  It is preposterous because no one said it except you that all would.  I certainly didn't.

Good for Dayton?  I didn’t say anybody would give up.  They can’t compete and yet here they all are. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2020, 09:06:30 PM »

It's true. Marquette basketball would have folded had Markus transferred last spring.
The great irony is that Marquette lost its second- and third-leading scorers to transfer after last season and today is humming along just fine ... and yet Chicos wants us all to believe that a losing a single key player would be a death knell to programs like Marquette.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2020, 09:07:35 PM »
All of this happens already...

I can’t imagine what would happen to a program like Marquette if they hypothetically lost two players like the Hauser’s. Can you sunshine?

No it doesn't.  The Hausers were an addition by subtraction, by the way.  It absolutely doesn't happen already because kids have to sit out.  You know how many kids could transfer that don't because they have to sit out and ultimately are glad they did?  A ton of them.  Because they are immature, can't handle adversity and want to run to the next thing at the first sign of not getting their way.   All free agency does is allow that behavior of kicking the can down the road to never grow up and handle adversity...no wonder you love it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2020, 09:09:21 PM »
What you want to do is take away that opportunity entirely from Prairie View A&M and maybe 50 to another 100 schools....or listen to Rico or Mike or others...the hell with 200 of them...just purge them.   

Nope. Never said this. Because I don't think this will happen. The "programs will disappear" is a Chicken Little narrative you and you alone are pushing to defend the system.

So tell me how the student athlete at Prairie View is getting screwed vs the one at Michigan?

You are a crazy person if you believe being an athlete at Michigan is the same as being an athlete at Prairie View.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2020, 09:09:49 PM »
It's true. Marquette basketball would have folded had Markus transferred last spring.
The great irony is that Marquette lost its second- and third-leading scorers to transfer after last season and today is humming along just fine ... and yet Chicos wants us all to believe that a losing a single key player would be a death knell to programs like Marquette.

And some of us even back then said addition by subtraction.   

Now say this is 1989 and Marquette is a crappy team, a guy named Tony Smith is on the team and he is wooed away from MU because he doesn't have to sit out.  He leaves.  As a result, MU's tailspin further worsens and they never recover because each time the new coach tries to bring in some good recruits they don't want to have to deal with long rebuilds and they leave.

Yah...this is going to be great for college basketball.....amazingly great. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2020, 09:11:41 PM »
Nope. Never said this. Because I don't think this will happen. The "programs will disappear" is a Chicken Little narrative you and you alone are pushing to defend the system.

You are a crazy person if you believe being an athlete at Michigan is the same as being an athlete at Prairie View.

I didn't say they were....I said they both are D1 athletes receiving a free ride.  You may not like that little factoid, but that is the case.  Ms. Smith at Prairie View is getting an education that maybe she had no way of getting without that track or volleyball scholarship there.  Sorry if I care about those kids.  Michigan student athlete is getting their education as well.  In the end, both received something of value they didn't have when they started, even if the educational levels are not the same....both BENEFITED from the arrangement.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2020, 09:13:21 PM »
Since it got lost earlier in this thread, Dana O’Neill of The Athletic tweeted Jay Wright isn’t leaving Villanova for the Knicks and she’s pretty plugged into Villanova.  On a side note, she’s also writing a book about the history of the Big East

panda

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2020, 09:14:57 PM »
No it doesn't.  The Hausers were an addition by subtraction, by the way.  It absolutely doesn't happen already because kids have to sit out.  You know how many kids could transfer that don't because they have to sit out and ultimately are glad they did?  A ton of them.  Because they are immature, can't handle adversity and want to run to the next thing at the first sign of not getting their way.   All free agency does is allow that behavior of kicking the can down the road to never grow up and handle adversity...no wonder you love it.

But wait - You just said last post what a huge blow losing one key player could cause to a program. MU lost two. Why didn’t we crumble like you predicted?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2020, 09:16:13 PM »
But wait - You just said last post what a huge blow losing one key player could cause to a program. MU lost two. Why didn’t we crumble like you predicted?

Not all players are equal....or are you going to make that argument that a body is a body is a body?  If MU lost Markus last year, but kept the Hausers....MU would be a poorer team this year.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2020, 09:16:39 PM »
Since it got lost earlier in this thread, Dana O’Neill of The Athletic tweeted Jay Wright isn’t leaving Villanova for the Knicks and she’s pretty plugged into Villanova.  On a side note, she’s also writing a book about the history of the Big East

It didn't get lost, it was very clear.

panda

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2020, 09:25:08 PM »
Not all players are equal....or are you going to make that argument that a body is a body is a body?  If MU lost Markus last year, but kept the Hausers....MU would be a poorer team this year.

No Sunshine I won’t make that argument. But you did in your initial post and are now back tracking on it. Par for the course....

Programs, big and small have balanced themselves out with grad transfers, jucos and traditional transfers for years. This really won’t change anything, especially with how lax the NCAA is becoming in granting waivers for traditional transfers.

You dabble in doom and gloom hypotheticals but those are facts that have played out over the past few years.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2020, 12:31:36 AM »
The purpose of 99% of mid and low majors is to be cannon fodder for the high majors and for one or two of them to make a run to the Sweet 16 every year (where they lose to a high major program) and one of them to make a run to the final four once about every decade (where they lose to a high major program). Despite this, only two programs have dropped from D1 to D2 in the past 15+ years and over a dozen have moved up to D1.

~98% of low and mid majors haven't made the tournament as at larges in this millennia. Despite this, programs keep getting added to D1 and all but 2 haven't moved down to D2.

Even if all the horror stories about every great mid and low major player getting poached comes true, have no fear. The mid and low majors will continue to suck like they always have. If the last 20 some years of irrelevance haven't driven them to drop from D1, I don't see why a few transfers will lead to that.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2020, 03:28:00 AM »
Since I went to bed last night, Cheeks posted in this topic 15 times. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

1SE

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2020, 04:17:43 AM »
Since I went to bed last night, Cheeks posted in this topic 15 times.

What happened to WhoaJoe? Did I miss that? Did Cheeks get tired of switching between accounts or did WhoaJoe just say everything he needed to say in 861 posts in 34 days and has now disappeared back into the ether?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2020, 06:18:36 AM »
What happened to WhoaJoe? Did I miss that? Did Cheeks get tired of switching between accounts or did WhoaJoe just say everything he needed to say in 861 posts in 34 days and has now disappeared back into the ether?
Banned