[Today at 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2020  (Read 36666 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Golf 2020
« Reply #275 on: July 31, 2020, 02:15:43 PM »
As the assistant professional at one of my favorite courses said to me, "we're getting a ton of play this year, but a lot of them aren't golfers."
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 02:24:05 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #276 on: July 31, 2020, 02:19:15 PM »
might as well start our favorite slow play grievances...one of my big ones is the guy about 280 out on a par 5, waiting for the group to leave the green because "if he hits on the screws, i might hit them"

LOL. This is my favorite, as it's usually followed by a fat or thin shot because he's swinging out of his shoes.

About a month ago I was 245 out on a par 5, a little uphill. If I really hit it clean, I hit my 3 wood 215-220 max. The ground was hard so I hesitated for a minute, before thinking "don't be that guy, you're not gonna get it there." So I hit, and sure as crap it rolled up to the front right part of the green while they were putting. I felt like a total ass.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #277 on: July 31, 2020, 11:22:40 PM »
LOL. This is my favorite, as it's usually followed by a fat or thin shot because he's swinging out of his shoes.

About a month ago I was 245 out on a par 5, a little uphill. If I really hit it clean, I hit my 3 wood 215-220 max. The ground was hard so I hesitated for a minute, before thinking "don't be that guy, you're not gonna get it there." So I hit, and sure as crap it rolled up to the front right part of the green while they were putting. I felt like a total ass.

Rolling up to the front of a green is NBD. Nobody I know really gets bothered by that. It’s the hard THUMP of an approach shot landing when you’re still on or striding off the green that is infuriating. I’m pretty even keeled, but a handful of times I’ve kicked or whacked a ball off the green in that situation when a group has hit into us more than once prior

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #278 on: August 01, 2020, 05:08:45 AM »
Koepka does NOT like Bryson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #279 on: August 01, 2020, 01:47:38 PM »
might as well start our favorite slow play grievances...one of my big ones is the guy about 280 out on a par 5, waiting for the group to leave the green because "if he hits on the screws, i might hit them"

I don’t mind it when guys have pre shot routines, but I hate it when the guy who’s five yards ahead of you on the other side of the fairway doesn’t think he can shoot the distance and select his club until after you hit.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #280 on: August 01, 2020, 04:30:56 PM »
I don’t mind it when guys have pre shot routines, but I hate it when the guy who’s five yards ahead of you on the other side of the fairway doesn’t think he can shoot the distance and select his club until after you hit.

That guy 🤬
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

reinko

• All American
« Reply #281 on: August 01, 2020, 04:44:06 PM »
Guy who marks a putt inside 3 feet needs to be shot into the sun.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #282 on: August 01, 2020, 05:27:59 PM »
Guy who marks a putt inside 3 feet needs to be shot into the sun.

Yeah, just give it to him ya scumbag. Unless the pins on a slope, then I’m fine with a mark.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #283 on: August 01, 2020, 06:00:59 PM »
Yeah, just give it to him ya scumbag. Unless the pins on a slope, then I’m fine with a mark.

A quick mark and look, and I’m fine with.  But more of the guy who looks at 3 footer from every angle, and then steps away after being over it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #284 on: August 01, 2020, 07:23:14 PM »

I'm more hesitant now after yesterday where two holes in a row I uncorked 325 yard drives and drove over the group in front of us both times. In my defense I couldn't see the group in front either time and waited 10 min after I saw them crest the hills....but still
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #285 on: August 02, 2020, 06:03:30 PM »
Justin Thomas with a quality win at the WGC- Fed Ex tournament this weekend. Beat Brooks Koepka down the stretch.

It appears as if many of  the  top players are all rounding into form for next weeks PGA Championship, which is the first major of the year.  Golf seems to be doing about as  well as possible in the no fan format.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #286 on: August 06, 2020, 08:45:01 PM »
Koepka with another jab at Bryson.  What are the odds these two duke it out sometime?    Would be seriously fun to see them in the final group of a major.   And there is a tiny part of me that thinks Bryson roided up just so Koepka wouldn't intimidate him anymore.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #287 on: August 06, 2020, 09:40:04 PM »
Koepka with another jab at Bryson.  What are the odds these two duke it out sometime?    Would be seriously fun to see them in the final group of a major.   And there is a tiny part of me that thinks Bryson roided up just so Koepka wouldn't intimidate him anymore.

The breakfast comments or the trackman comments?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #288 on: August 06, 2020, 09:42:15 PM »
Yes.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #289 on: August 07, 2020, 05:21:07 AM »
Harding Park looks like a stunning track

🏀

• All American
« Reply #290 on: August 07, 2020, 06:24:47 AM »
Can we talk about how awful that CBS broadcast was compared to the ESPN+ and SVP coverage?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #291 on: August 07, 2020, 06:54:25 AM »
Harding Park looks like a stunning track

Played it last June.  Teed off and it was 80 and sunny.  By the time we finished, it was 55, gray, foggy and misting.  It was spectacular.  Fun course and public!  Played with a local who had just taken up the game and played it 2-3 days a week on city pass.  Think the resident fee for walking was like $35.  Sort of remarkable it was hosting a major.  Did play slow but really fun
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #292 on: August 08, 2020, 09:33:18 PM »
For the first time in the 25-30 years I’ve been playing golf since I was a young kid, I had a proper fitting today. Driver, woods, and putter only (waiting on irons to see my soon to be golf pro brother in law in Dallas to be fitted and use his Titelist connections and discount). Went to a good friend of his at the Glen View Club near Old Orchard. I don’t think I’ve ever hit that many driver shots in one afternoon in my life. But awesome experience. Set myself up with a Ping G410. Came down to that and the Callaway Mavrick but I had more consistency with the Ping hitting around 285 and we agreed that was more important than hitting 290 with the Mavrik.

Putter fitting was great too. I’ve been playing with a Dunlop mallet putter I’ve had since I was 15. Tried an Odyssey 2 ball about a decade ago but never liked it and went back to the $40 club I’d used forever. Turns out I line up/pull left with the mallets. I prefer a softer face which is why I hadnt liked blade putters, though I liked the look when lining up. Actually hit a Scotty fairly well, but the Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide was a match made in heaven. Everytime id hit a new putter, he’d take it back after a shot or two cause he said it didn’t compare to my stroke with the Odyssey. Can’t wait to hit the course with it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #293 on: August 08, 2020, 11:09:50 PM »
The Double Wide is incredible. I bought one used on a whim to try the shaft technology and that putter is the safest putter I’ve ever had in the bag.

I’ve had easily 10 putters in my five years playing.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #294 on: August 08, 2020, 11:38:15 PM »
For the first time in the 25-30 years I’ve been playing golf since I was a young kid, I had a proper fitting today. Driver, woods, and putter only (waiting on irons to see my soon to be golf pro brother in law in Dallas to be fitted and use his Titelist connections and discount). Went to a good friend of his at the Glen View Club near Old Orchard. I don’t think I’ve ever hit that many driver shots in one afternoon in my life. But awesome experience. Set myself up with a Ping G410. Came down to that and the Callaway Mavrick but I had more consistency with the Ping hitting around 285 and we agreed that was more important than hitting 290 with the Mavrik.

Putter fitting was great too. I’ve been playing with a Dunlop mallet putter I’ve had since I was 15. Tried an Odyssey 2 ball about a decade ago but never liked it and went back to the $40 club I’d used forever. Turns out I line up/pull left with the mallets. I prefer a softer face which is why I hadnt liked blade putters, though I liked the look when lining up. Actually hit a Scotty fairly well, but the Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide was a match made in heaven. Everytime id hit a new putter, he’d take it back after a shot or two cause he said it didn’t compare to my stroke with the Odyssey. Can’t wait to hit the course with it.

i've had the stroke lab since february.  when i get the feel for the green and stay true to form, it hits lazer beams.  it was the last stop in my club champion fitting and i almost blew it off.  then i hit 5 straight with it and i was hooked
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #295 on: August 26, 2020, 07:49:18 PM »
Phil playing against the old guys hardly seems fair.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #296 on: August 27, 2020, 09:13:57 PM »
Friend of mine is a member at Glen Oak, he said Els played there today and shot a course record 61 (he bogeyed 18). Ernie is playing a charity event at Rich Harvest tomorrow.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #297 on: August 27, 2020, 09:30:52 PM »
Friend of mine is a member at Glen Oak, he said Els played there today and shot a course record 61 (he bogeyed 18). Ernie is playing a charity event at Rich Harvest tomorrow.

I spent a summer on Long Island when I was in college for an internship. The owner of the startup I was working at was a auto leasing billionaire who built, at the time, the most expensive private golf club in the country in the Hamptons. It’s called Sebonac, and they designed it to be quite challenging. It was the first summer it was open when I was there and he invited my friend and I to go stay and play one weekend. Just so happened Ernie Els was visiting and played a few rounds. Ran into him in the clubhouse at one point, he’s as tall as you’d image but quite nice.  One of the cart guys said he casually shot 63 that morning. But what was significant was Ernie was staying in one of the luxury cottages there and called the clubhouse at like 1AM the night before needing to be brought back from Southampton cause he was obliterated

MU82

• All American
« Reply #298 on: August 27, 2020, 11:37:11 PM »
I spent a summer on Long Island when I was in college for an internship. The owner of the startup I was working at was a auto leasing billionaire who built, at the time, the most expensive private golf club in the country in the Hamptons. It’s called Sebonac, and they designed it to be quite challenging. It was the first summer it was open when I was there and he invited my friend and I to go stay and play one weekend. Just so happened Ernie Els was visiting and played a few rounds. Ran into him in the clubhouse at one point, he’s as tall as you’d image but quite nice.  One of the cart guys said he casually shot 63 that morning. But what was significant was Ernie was staying in one of the luxury cottages there and called the clubhouse at like 1AM the night before needing to be brought back from Southampton cause he was obliterated

I liked this story, Wags, but I have to admit that one thing that made me scratch my head was you saying Els is “tall ... but quite nice.”

Has it been your experience that tall people aren’t usually nice?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #299 on: August 28, 2020, 09:53:54 AM »
I liked this story, Wags, but I have to admit that one thing that made me scratch my head was you saying Els is “tall ... but quite nice.”

Has it been your experience that tall people aren’t usually nice?

Haha phrasing could have been better. More like he looks big in TV and was as advertised in person. Additionally he was a very affable guy  8-)