[Today at 04:39:02 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Why do we use other sport metaphors to describe basketball?  (Read 2221 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Why do we use other sport metaphors to describe basketball?
« on: December 17, 2020, 11:14:27 AM »
This is part mini rant and part genuine question. Why do we use other sports metaphors to describe another sport specifically basketball?

We use scrum from rugby to describe any type of pile up in basketball.

Real Chilly Pod has used a million boxing references over the years. Especially in recent pods.

I've heard Wojo on many occasions describe basketball games as heavyweight bouts, mentioned taking punches, say we'd beat Creighton if we'd turn the game into a boxing match.

And analysts on multiple games have been using more and more punching  references instead of just saying "they're on a run let's see how the other team responds"

What's the reasoning behind this? I've never described anything in a boxing or MMA match by saying he needs to "slam dunk" on somebody. I don't believe I've heard an easy fight being called a "layup". It seems to mostly happen with basketball. Why?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Why do we use other sport metaphors to describe basketball?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 11:28:42 AM »
This is part mini rant and part genuine question. Why do we use other sports metaphors to describe another sport specifically basketball?

We use scrum from rugby to describe any type of pile up in basketball.

Real Chilly Pod has used a million boxing references over the years. Especially in recent pods.

I've heard Wojo on many occasions describe basketball games as heavyweight bouts, mentioned taking punches, say we'd beat Creighton if we'd turn the game into a boxing match.

And analysts on multiple games have been using more and more punching  references instead of just saying "they're on a run let's see how the other team responds"

What's the reasoning behind this? I've never described anything in a boxing or MMA match by saying he needs to "slam dunk" on somebody. I don't believe I've heard an easy fight being called a "layup". It seems to mostly happen with basketball. Why?

Interesting, I hadn't really thought of this before as I've become so used to it.

I'd like someone to describe a game as a "good, old fashioned slobber knocker." Old school Big East games would be good for that.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 11:32:18 AM »
Interesting, I hadn't really thought of this before as I've become so used to it.

I'd like someone to describe a game as a "good, old fashioned slobber knocker." Old school Big East games would be good for that.

I hadn't noticed it till the Nate Robinson disaster where the boxing analysts mentioned that a lot of basketball players do boxing workouts to stay flexible and in shape. And since then I haven't stopped noticing it's ridiculous how many times those metaphors are used which is odd for a non contact/contact discouraged sport.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 12:33:54 PM »
I often seen "5-tool player" used to describe basketball players who can do a little bit of everything
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 12:36:16 PM »
I often seen "5-tool player" used to describe basketball players who can do a little bit of everything

Heard that as well and never knew what it meant. You can add that to the list.

Seriously, am I crazy or do people analyzing basketball have some weird need to describe it using other sports recently?
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 12:41:04 PM »
I don’t think it’s basketball specific, I think you’ll find many sports borrow phrases or expressions from other sports.

Boxing/combat sports bleed into everything cause we love to view sports or games as a battle.

I’ve heard “pitching a shutout” in football games.  There are plenty of examples.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 12:46:24 PM »
I don’t think it’s basketball specific, I think you’ll find many sports borrow phrases or expressions from other sports.

Boxing/combat sports bleed into everything cause we love to view sports or games as a battle.

I’ve heard “pitching a shutout” in football games.  There are plenty of examples.

I'll try to listen for it more in other sports maybe I've just never noticed it in other sports. As I said it was the Nate Robinson thing that removed the blinders so maybe I'll hear it in Football or Hockey as well now that you've pointed it out.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 01:45:44 PM »
"Slam dunk" has become a very common reference, not just when other sports are being discussed but a variety of topics.

"I visited 5 colleges but I picked Marquette. It really was a slam dunk."

"Layup" used fairly similarly.

In lacrosse and football, much talk (and strategy) of "setting screens."

When a big receiver gets his defender on his back so he can make a contested catch, it's often referred to as "boxing out." "Gronkowski really boxed out Jones there."

Hail Mary passes often referred to as "jump balls." For that matter, any time a QB lobs a pass for a tall receiver who can sky, it gets referred to as a "jump ball."

People who try to delay something (often used in a political setting) are said to be using "the 4-corners offense." To bring in boxing, sometimes that's called "rope-a-dope."

Yep ... plenty of hoops terms get used as metaphors, though probably not often in boxing.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 02:00:47 PM »
"Slam dunk" has become a very common reference, not just when other sports are being discussed but a variety of topics.

"I visited 5 colleges but I picked Marquette. It really was a slam dunk."

"Layup" used fairly similarly.

In lacrosse and football, much talk (and strategy) of "setting screens."

When a big receiver gets his defender on his back so he can make a contested catch, it's often referred to as "boxing out." "Gronkowski really boxed out Jones there."

Hail Mary passes often referred to as "jump balls." For that matter, any time a QB lobs a pass for a tall receiver who can sky, it gets referred to as a "jump ball."

People who try to delay something (often used in a political setting) are said to be using "the 4-corners offense." To bring in boxing, sometimes that's called "rope-a-dope."

Yep ... plenty of hoops terms get used as metaphors, though probably not often in boxing.

Oh I completely agree sports metaphors are used a ton in life. And while I'm on this rant I'll bring in the Office's point about work being "above par" should be a metaphor for bad work not good work.

Not sure I'd agree that setting a screen started in basketball, seems like that's just any act of stopping a defender and creating a lane for a player no matter sport.

Didn't know they used box out or jump ball in football. So as I said to Wags, perhaps I just had blinders onto this and only assumed it was basketball using other sports metaphors because that's what I watch most frequently and the blinders came off.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 03:11:27 PM »

It's actually a scouting evaluation in basketball (likely borrowed).
https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2010/11/22/nba-scouting-101-the-five-tool-basketball-player-and-a-look-at-texas%25e2%2580%2599-nba-prospects/

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 09:10:48 AM »
I have heard the term "layup" on rare occasion in other sports, but often in other walks of life to describe something very easy to accomplish.  In sports they tend to use the term "gimme" from golf instead.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2020, 09:36:04 AM »
The "Wisconsin Handshake" can be used in any sport, not just football and basketball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2020, 09:38:10 AM »
Thought about this last night when the announcers said Marquette shots were lipping out.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2020, 12:17:04 PM »
A short field goal is a “chip shot.”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2020, 12:32:06 PM »
Watching a fight last weekend I heard the announcers say Stevenson was “pitching a shutout.” Pretty common term used in boxing announcing.

And let’s not forget about “Hail Mary” being used in every sport.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2020, 12:41:37 PM »
Watching a fight last weekend I heard the announcers say Stevenson was “pitching a shutout.” Pretty common term used in boxing announcing.

And let’s not forget about “Hail Mary” being used in every sport.

Really? MMA or Boxing? I've never heard that used in a fight. Again, I only started noticing it recently regarding basketball.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2020, 02:11:23 PM »
Really? MMA or Boxing? I've never heard that used in a fight. Again, I only started noticing it recently regarding basketball.

Boxing. Shakur Stevenson fight, though I’ve heard it other times. Used when a fighter is winning every round 10-0 in this case).

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2020, 05:56:14 AM »
Maybe not in sports always, but slam dunk is frequently used in society. Our ex-union president was largely voted out because of a contract arbitration he repeatedly referred to as a "slam dunk." But we lost wages and arbitration, so now "slam dunk" has become the "done deal" of my union.

I've also heard easy things referred to as "layups" often. Not sure about other terms. "Charged right in" is close to the basketball term, but may well have different etymology. I do think when we hear "assist" it's a basketball reference, though I suppose in basketball, announcers often refer to the "hockey assist" (pass before the pass) so maybe that's not definitive. "Alley-oop" and "airball" are also used in common parlance. One sports one that is used, in football they sometimes refer to Hail Mary passes as "jump balls." Another term that is often used, though I'm not sure how often in other sports, is "full court press" any time one is trying to apply maximum pressure.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.