[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1108577 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #10300 on: May 29, 2021, 03:08:10 PM »
Anti-Istael and anti-Semitic are not synonymous.

Omar has been flat out anti-Semitic, not just anti-Israel, and has been called out on it countless times, far before the recent wave of ME tension, by her own party.  She’s dog whistled like crazy about it

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10301 on: May 29, 2021, 03:20:32 PM »
Omar has been flat out anti-Semitic, not just anti-Israel, and has been called out on it countless times, far before the recent wave of ME tension, by her own party.  She’s dog whistled like crazy about it

Examples, please. As in, give me an example of some anti-Semitic act or statement of hers that's not directly related to Israel.
I agree, she's virulently anti-Israel, but that's not the same as anti-Jew (as much as some wish to make it so)

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #10302 on: May 29, 2021, 03:41:18 PM »
Examples, please. As in, give me an example of some anti-Semitic act or statement of hers that's not directly related to Israel.
I agree, she's virulently anti-Israel, but that's not the same as anti-Jew (as much as some wish to make it so)

Her friendly relationship with Miftah for a start.

If you’re saying that all the stuff she says is only anti-Israel and thus making it not anti-Jew, that’s convenient excuse making.  She’s basically said any Jewish support for Israel is an “allegiance to a foreign country”.   She attacked an opponent for being in the pockets of special interests and then only named Jewish donors. It’s not a clumsy one off comment on Israel, it’s a repeated criticism of Israel and its Jewish supports that is filled wi the dog whistles.  People rightly slam Trump for dog whistling but you can’t just justify her dog whistling as “oh anti-Israel is not anti-Semitic”

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of Israel that are not anti-Semitic, she chooses to attack support of Israel, mostly Jewish, domestically. The House Democrats resolution a few years ago on the heels of her terrible Benjamins tweets was very telling. But sure, she has no problem with Jews, just Israel, ok  ::)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10303 on: May 29, 2021, 03:49:59 PM »
Her friendly relationship with Miftah for a start.

If you’re saying that all the stuff she says is only anti-Israel and thus making it not anti-Jew, that’s convenient excuse making.  She’s basically said any Jewish support for Israel is an “allegiance to a foreign country”.   She attacked an opponent for being in the pockets of special interests and then only named Jewish donors. It’s not a clumsy one off comment on Israel, it’s a repeated criticism of Israel and its Jewish supports that is filled wi the dog whistles.  People rightly slam Trump for dog whistling but you can’t just justify her dog whistling as “oh anti-Israel is not anti-Semitic”

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of Israel that are not anti-Semitic, she chooses to attack support of Israel, mostly Jewish, domestically. The House Democrats resolution a few years ago on the heels of her terrible Benjamins tweets was very telling. But sure, she has no problem with Jews, just Israel, ok  ::)

The fact that you went straight to Mitfah merely bolsters my point.
And the fact you couldn't answer my question and provide any examples  proves it.

When she starts ranting about George Soros, space lasers and the great replacement - like some of our friends on the right - by all means label her an anti-semite.  Until then, you're conflating separate issues.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #10304 on: May 29, 2021, 04:03:16 PM »
The fact that you went straight to Mitfah merely bolsters my point.
And the fact you couldn't answer my question and provide any examples  proves it.

When she starts ranting about George Soros, space lasers and the great replacement - like some of our friends on the right - by all means label her an anti-semite.  Until then, you're conflating separate issues.

What point? She doesn’t dislike Jews she just dislikes Israel? Ok. Agree to disagree. And agree to disagree about countless articles from reputable sources that call to question her anti-Semitic remarks. Until she drops something about money grubbing Jews she deserves the benefit of the doubt and is just expressing nuanced and respectful geopolitical opinion

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/can-ilhan-omar-overcome-her-prejudice-11562970265

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/3/6/18251639/ilhan-omar-israel-anti-semitism-jews

But sure, protect your side. Be arrogant as is your go-to, all good. Good to know I can’t be anti-Muslim if I speak derogatorily and said supporters of the Palestinian cause were typical terror enablers because that’s just being anti-Palestine/Hamas, not anti-Muslim
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 04:07:59 PM by JWags85 »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10305 on: May 29, 2021, 06:22:53 PM »
What point? She doesn’t dislike Jews she just dislikes Israel? Ok. Agree to disagree. And agree to disagree about countless articles from reputable sources that call to question her anti-Semitic remarks. Until she drops something about money grubbing Jews she deserves the benefit of the doubt and is just expressing nuanced and respectful geopolitical opinion

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/can-ilhan-omar-overcome-her-prejudice-11562970265

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/3/6/18251639/ilhan-omar-israel-anti-semitism-jews

But sure, protect your side. Be arrogant as is your go-to, all good. Good to know I can’t be anti-Muslim if I speak derogatorily and said supporters of the Palestinian cause were typical terror enablers because that’s just being anti-Palestine/Hamas, not anti-Muslim

My side? Don't assume facts not in evidence, counselor. I disagree with Omar on much, including much of her stance on Israel, But that doesn't make her an anti-semite. You still can't name a single instance of her attacking "Jews," as opposed to Israeli policy.

Among the links you posted as your evidence is an opinion piece by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, an outspoken critic of Islam, an associate at the conservative Hoover Institute and American Enterprise Instiitute, and someone who's publicly stated that Donald Trump's immigration ban on certain Muslin countries didn't go far enough.
So, maybe not the most objective of sources.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10306 on: June 01, 2021, 06:24:26 AM »
Sad story ... and cautionary tale?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/31/us/coronavirus-deaths-vaccine.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20210601&instance_id=31975&nl=the-morning&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=59528&te=1&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa

After more than a year of pandemic restrictions, many Americans are leaving their masks behind, making summer travel plans and joyously reuniting with family and friends. As more are vaccinated and new infections plummet, there is a sense that the worst of the pandemic is over in the United States.

But for people like Michele Preissler, 60, the worst has just begun.

Ms. Preissler lost her husband to Covid-19 in late May, just as many restrictions were being lifted and life, for many, was starting to look more like normal. Customers were going without masks last week at the Walmart near her home in Pasadena, Md., where she was shopping for items for her husband’s funeral.

“Everybody is saying, ‘Oh, it’s fine,’” said Ms. Preissler, who said her husband, Darryl Preissler, 63, loved to hunt, camp and go crabbing with his grandson, and was not vaccinated when he caught the virus at a wedding in early April. “I’m just thinking to myself, ‘If you only knew what I just went through.’”

With half of Americans protected with at least one dose of a vaccine, the virus outlook in this country is the best it has been at any point in the pandemic. New cases, hospitalizations and deaths are lower than they have been in many months, and even the most cautious health officials are celebrating the country’s progress. Fully vaccinated people, who are at low risk of catching and spreading the virus, have been told they can take off their masks and return to many regular activities, with the support of top scientists.

Even now, though, about 450 deaths are being reported each day, and that has left hundreds of families dealing with a new kind of pandemic grief.

Unlike earlier periods when most Americans were seeing their lives affected by Covid, relatives of people dying of the virus now describe a lonely sorrow: They are mourning even as so many others are celebrating newfound freedom. In one sign of the dissonance, the pandemic has improved enough that funerals — once forced to take place over Zoom — are mostly permitted to happen in person again, a bittersweet shift for those losing people now.

In some cases, the grief has been complicated by new — and thorny — questions about vaccination. People dying from Covid-19 today are largely unvaccinated, health experts say. There have been some reports of people dying after being vaccinated, but experts say those are rare exceptions.

Some people who died in recent weeks got sick before they were eligible for shots, raising questions about whether the United States’ vaccine rollout moved quickly enough to reach all Americans. The widespread availability of vaccines is still relatively recent — most states had opened vaccines to all adults by mid-April, with up to six weeks needed for full immunity — and it can take several weeks from the onset of symptoms for cases to turn fatal.

Others who have died lately were hesitant to get shots, their relatives said, underscoring the challenge that remains ahead for health authorities in their quest to convince Americans of the safety of vaccination. Still others, like Mr. Preissler, who was busy at his job remodeling homes, simply had not yet gotten around to getting his shot, according to his wife, who already had been vaccinated.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #10307 on: June 01, 2021, 08:39:32 AM »
The point of the article should have been “get vaccinated now”.

“I didn’t have time” is a poor excuse to be dead.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10308 on: June 01, 2021, 09:28:38 AM »
Key milestone to watch for: once we are under a 7 day average of 20,000 daily cases, it will be the lowest since the initial surge in March-April 2020. We are currently at 24,000.

We hit it today.

17,000 average daily cases as of this morning. This is the lowest since March 27, 2020.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10309 on: June 01, 2021, 09:52:06 AM »
The point of the article should have been “get vaccinated now”.

“I didn’t have time” is a poor excuse to be dead.

It was a news article, not an opinion piece. I believe that intelligent readers would agree with your point.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #10310 on: June 01, 2021, 10:16:25 AM »
I know someone who was ‘too busy’ doing real estate closings and taxes for people. I went a bit nuts when I found out from a mutual friend  because I had run into him and his wife the day before, walked several blocks with them, and innocently inquired about whether the whole family had gotten their jabs. In retrospect I realized that while the wife discussed her Moderna side effects with me, they led me to believe that only her brother remained unvaccinated, which p***** me off when I found out the truth the next day.
I do understand that after much prodding by our mutual friend, the guy now has had his J&J, getting him to do two shots was out of the question.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10311 on: June 01, 2021, 08:18:56 PM »
The India variant is in America.  This isn't over.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10312 on: June 01, 2021, 10:38:28 PM »

you're right, not until everyone reads faustini's book, wait for it..."truth" and watches the animated version on disney or whatever.  dude's got a lot of time, over 300 tv appearances, vogue mag covers all while changing into his covid crusader cape...who is that "masked" man anyway? he better hurry up before whatever's left of the cnn/msnbc crowd figures out what a fraud he is
don't...don't don't don't don't

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #10313 on: June 01, 2021, 10:53:35 PM »
Emmanuel Goldstein is a horrible, vile man, completely and solely responsible for all that is wrong in the world.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10314 on: June 01, 2021, 11:37:47 PM »
you're right, not until everyone reads faustini's book, wait for it..."truth" and watches the animated version on disney or whatever.  dude's got a lot of time, over 300 tv appearances, vogue mag covers all while changing into his covid crusader cape...who is that "masked" man anyway? he better hurry up before whatever's left of the cnn/msnbc crowd figures out what a fraud he is

in addition to your bds and mds, you also have fds.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #10315 on: June 02, 2021, 09:49:49 AM »

Why didn't Trump fire the fraud?  Why did Trump leave him on for all 4 years?  And why did Reagan keep him on for 8 years?  And why did George W Bush award him with the nation's highest honor for a civilian?  Is it because like most medical professionals he keeps learning and evolving his position as new evidence becomes available and has proven useful to our country over his entire career?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #10316 on: June 02, 2021, 09:57:04 AM »
So Fraudci can evolve but Trump is still lambasted by the left for his statements from last April?  Logical.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10317 on: June 02, 2021, 10:03:11 AM »

Is this resistant to vaccines or something?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #10318 on: June 02, 2021, 10:06:21 AM »
So Fraudci can evolve but Trump is still lambasted by the left for his statements from last April?  Logical.

Yes. Fauci, even in the email indicates that mask wearing is best for those infected. That was always true. As we learned more about the prevalence of spread, and when the disease became infectious, it became important/prudent for all to wear masks as a precaution. His statements evolved with the science.

Trump asked for them to inject bleach into people, and irradiate them intravenously with ionizing radiation.

Kind of different scenarios.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #10319 on: June 02, 2021, 10:20:32 AM »
So Fauci can evolve but Trump is still lambasted by the left for his statements from last April?  Logical.

Did Trump ever once in his Presidency say:  "I had it wrong, I realize now we should have X or we could have Y"

Trump portends to be right 100% of the time.  Fauci (and nearly dozens of others in that field) admitted many times he was wrong / learning.  I don't think I have ever seen Trump admit he was wrong.  That's kind of scary.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10320 on: June 02, 2021, 10:42:07 AM »
Is this resistant to vaccines or something?
More contagious.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10321 on: June 02, 2021, 11:03:41 AM »
More contagious.

I hear what you're saying, but then the answer to all of this is the same as it has been, and is 100% within our control...everyone get vaccinated.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10322 on: June 02, 2021, 11:56:51 AM »
Agreed.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10323 on: June 02, 2021, 12:04:08 PM »
Recruitin' black owned barber shops ta administer da vaccine ain't gonna get it dunn, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #10324 on: June 02, 2021, 12:12:30 PM »
Recruitin' black owned barber shops ta administer da vaccine ain't gonna get it dunn, hey?

If only they had lawyers and accountants, hey?