collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1085097 times)

jficke13

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2020, 02:17:06 PM »
By chance "The Great Influenza" came across my Audible this week, about 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic. Fascinating stuff about how that flu originated, spread, and burned through a society very poorly equipped to deal with it.

A lot of relevant information there.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2020, 03:10:08 PM »
I'd be interested on hearing why you think this is occurring more lately

i think some things are best kept to oneself cuz i don't see that as ending well.  let's just say we could use some improvement and allow some decency back in public circles...is it too much to ask not to pee and poop in the streets? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2020, 03:17:04 PM »
Just the trolls way of injecting politics - railing against "liberal" cities.

another swing and a miss...nasty lil secret kickstand, i'd be railing against any city regardless of who is running it, if i have to throw my shoes out after a "walk in the park".  would you take your dog for a walk in that cesspool?  then bring him back into your house, let him jump onto your bed and lick your face?  that's if he doesn't end up with a needle stuck in his paw >:( 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2020, 03:19:58 PM »
another swing and a miss...nasty lil secret kickstand, i'd be railing against any city regardless of who is running it, if i have to throw my shoes out after a "walk in the park".  would you take your dog for a walk in that cesspool?  then bring him back into your house, let him jump onto your bed and lick your face?  that's if he doesn't end up with a needle stuck in his paw >:( 

I have walked around plenty of times in Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles, and would have no problem walking my dog in any of them.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2020, 03:22:08 PM »

Dogs like their own butt and genitals and then lick your face.   Every single day.    If you run them in dog parks, they are prancing in other dogs' poop.   Every single day.    Rolls in other dogs' poop.   Every chance they get.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2020, 03:33:31 PM »

Meanwhile in rural Wisconsin...

https://www.wbay.com/content/news/Sheboygan-County-Landowners-Pledge-Support-to-CWD-Response-Plan-567629721.html

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2020, 04:01:12 PM »
The cruise ships being quarantined .. that's brutal.   The infected numbers are going up even though the passengers are semi-locked away in their rooms.    Possible culprit?  The HVAC systems are not separate.   14 days is not going to do it.   You'd need +14 days past the last infection, with the clock constantly being reset.

Well, I'm sure this will all be squared away before I get on my cruise for spring break.   :-\

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2020, 07:19:37 PM »
Just the trolls way of injecting politics - railing against "liberal" cities.

Incorrect.  I love many cities that are run by all sorts of folks on the ideological spectrum.  You know it is bad out here when they are losing support from many of their own constituents to do something about the mess created.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2020, 07:33:55 PM »
The cruise ships being quarantined .. that's brutal.   The infected numbers are going up even though the passengers are semi-locked away in their rooms.    Possible culprit?  The HVAC systems are not separate.   14 days is not going to do it.   You'd need +14 days past the last infection, with the clock constantly being reset.

Well, I'm sure this will all be squared away before I get on my cruise for spring break.   :-\

Ah, so you're assuming your cruise ship line will still be in business!!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2020, 07:37:10 PM »
By chance "The Great Influenza" came across my Audible this week, about 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic. Fascinating stuff about how that flu originated, spread, and burned through a society very poorly equipped to deal with it.

A lot of relevant information there.

It's especially interesting in how it spread so quickly back when the movement of people moved from place to place took so much longer.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2020, 07:57:13 PM »
It's especially interesting in how it spread so quickly back when the movement of people moved from place to place took so much longer.

On the reverse, it’s a much smaller world in terms of germ pool immunity and of course vaccinations.

Think back to how indigenous people were wiped out when the Europeans showed up with never before been seen diseases in their native lands. They were wiped out quickly...much more than the armies. Many of these new strains today are from China which had been closed for so long.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2020, 08:55:25 PM »
There are a lot of "liberal" cities in this country that dont have poop squads, needle squads, and all the other nastiness that SF has.

There is literally an app for it....that's how horrendous it is....snapcrap

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3xdae/more-people-pooping-in-san-francisco-than-ever-all-time-high-vgtrn
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2020, 10:04:54 PM »
  little league player slides into hypodermic needle. betcha it was one of those "freebies" eyn'a?

"Atrisco Valley Little League president Hector Aguilar said earlier this month an 11-year-old girl was practicing base sliding when a hypodermic needle pierced her foot"

https://www.sltrib.com/news/nation-world/2019/05/20/new-mexico-little-league/

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2020, 08:47:21 AM »
China stops Foxconn's plan to resume production on Feb 10 on coronavirus worries: Nikkei

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-foxconn-idUSKBN2020BC?utm_source=reddit.com

Gartner: Prepare pandemic planning around 25% absenteeism

https://searchhrsoftware.techtarget.com/news/252478113/Gartner-Prepare-pandemic-planning-around-25-absenteeism

Chinese Car Factories Idled by Virus Raise Risks to Global Growth

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/business/coronavirus-china-auto-factories.html

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2020, 10:15:50 PM »
Seems like Beijing is going into quarantine mode.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2020, 10:43:44 PM »
For those that think many are over-reacting. The general problem with this virus is it is very contagious. If it becomes any more widely spread, it is likely to become endemic in the human population. That would mean in addition to seasonal flus, we'd have a seasonal wuhan-virus killing 1-2% of the population.

What people are referring to as over-reactions may be the only way to avoid this becoming endemic.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2020, 10:50:46 PM »
For those that think many are over-reacting. The general problem with this virus is it is very contagious. If it becomes any more widely spread, it is likely to become endemic in the human population. That would mean in addition to seasonal flus, we'd have a seasonal wuhan-virus killing 1-2% of the population.

What people are referring to as over-reactions may be the only way to avoid this becoming endemic.

Looks like maybe we should issue more travel bans

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2020, 12:31:51 AM »
There are a lot of "liberal" cities in this country that dont have poop squads, needle squads, and all the other nastiness that SF has.

My assistant and I, for the past five years, have done a San Fran beer day hitting different breweries (Cellarmaker, Local, 21st Amendment among them).  One year we walked 7.5 miles, including through the Mission District (Pacific Standard).  Not one sign of this anywhere on our jaunts. My city is said by Fox News to be similar, yet the only Ive seen while walking or running is from dogs. Ran 9 miles today through the city, shoes are clean. The claims are pretty much crap.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2020, 02:06:49 AM »
My assistant and I, for the past five years, have done a San Fran beer day hitting different breweries (Cellarmaker, Local, 21st Amendment among them).  One year we walked 7.5 miles, including through the Mission District (Pacific Standard).  Not one sign of this anywhere on our jaunts. My city is said by Fox News to be similar, yet the only Ive seen while walking or running is from dogs. Ran 9 miles today through the city, shoes are clean. The claims are pretty much crap.

Billy....I get up there to SF all the time...it is bad.  LA, pretty much every week....really bad.  There are plenty of sources not named Fox News that have it documented...LA Times being one of them.

25000 incidents last year per SF Public Works Dept....not a bunch of crap....well actually...a whole lotta crap.

"I will say there is more feces on the sidewalks than I've ever seen growing up here," San Francisco Mayor London Breed told NBC in a 2018 interview. "That is a huge problem, and we are not just talking about from dogs — we're talking about from humans."

https://www.businessinsider.com/san-francisco-human-poop-problem-2019-4
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 02:09:53 AM by Cheeks »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2020, 05:36:07 AM »
Billy....I get up there to SF all the time...it is bad.  LA, pretty much every week....really bad.  There are plenty of sources not named Fox News that have it documented...LA Times being one of them.

25000 incidents last year per SF Public Works Dept....not a bunch of crap....well actually...a whole lotta crap.

"I will say there is more feces on the sidewalks than I've ever seen growing up here," San Francisco Mayor London Breed told NBC in a 2018 interview. "That is a huge problem, and we are not just talking about from dogs — we're talking about from humans."

https://www.businessinsider.com/san-francisco-human-poop-problem-2019-4

you must be running thru nancy and gavins 'hoods.  they've also got their own cops there too

reinko

• All American
« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2020, 05:51:53 AM »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2020, 08:27:05 AM »
Heard the weekly coronavirus update from my Chinese factory counterpart.  Local government is asking factories to stay closed until March 1 and if they open sooner they take full legal responsibility.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2020, 09:25:39 AM »
MU FaninCT

It really is a mixed bag in regards to the opening of factories. Our company does supply chain mgt/QC work at roughly 50 factories in China and about 25% re-opened last night. We have some hoping to open later this week or next and others looking at 3/1 as starting date. It is going to be a crazy couple of weeks, probably longer than that.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2020, 09:36:00 AM »
Heard the weekly coronavirus update from my Chinese factory counterpart.  Local government is asking factories to stay closed until March 1 and if they open sooner they take full legal responsibility.

What does "full legal responsibility" mean in this context?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2020, 09:51:50 AM »
What does "full legal responsibility" mean in this context?

Probably major fines from the government.

He also said the factory has to pass a government inspection before it can be reopened.

feedback