collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1087060 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #10050 on: April 02, 2021, 06:59:02 AM »
I tried; now it’s too late. Just tested positive. This is not fun.

Awful. Be well.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10051 on: April 02, 2021, 07:01:58 AM »
Tons of cars from Indiana and Michigan heading south last weekend.

Our school is requiring virtual for 10 days or a negative test after 6 days for anyone going on spring break.

Way too many people in Florida up to school starting back to 5 days on Tuesday.

I hope the districts expected this and will go virtual for a week before the full reopening.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10052 on: April 02, 2021, 07:41:02 AM »
Been there.   Good luck.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #10053 on: April 02, 2021, 11:29:25 AM »

Get well, JayBee.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #10054 on: April 04, 2021, 08:01:49 AM »
Sending you wishes for a quick recovery Jaycee.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #10055 on: April 05, 2021, 01:29:38 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/charlescwcooke/status/1379126440629780480

Yikes.  I’ve always held CBS in high regard and felt they did a good job staying out of the partisan trends most news channels have gone (whether right or left). 

The DeSantis story they played on 60 minutes is unfortunately the latest evidence showing that our media is completely broken.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #10056 on: April 05, 2021, 01:39:58 PM »
Yeah...that 60 Minutes story pointed out dozens of problems with Florida's vaccine distribution, but that foray into the Publix angle was really unnecessary and undermined the story completely.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #10057 on: April 05, 2021, 08:15:08 PM »
Texas Rangers host a sellout crowd for Opening Day with no Covid-19 restrictions.  According to the article I read it was also the first time attendance restrictions were not in effect for any major sporting event in the United States:

https://www.fox4news.com/sports/texas-rangers-host-near-sellout-crowd-for-2021-home-opener-with-no-covid-19-attendance-restrictions

Definitely not something I'd feel comfortable attending but it obviously wasn't a concern for a lot of people.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #10058 on: April 05, 2021, 09:28:07 PM »
Texas Rangers host a sellout crowd for Opening Day with no Covid-19 restrictions.  According to the article I read it was also the first time attendance restrictions were not in effect for any major sporting event in the United States:

https://www.fox4news.com/sports/texas-rangers-host-near-sellout-crowd-for-2021-home-opener-with-no-covid-19-attendance-restrictions

Definitely not something I'd feel comfortable attending but it obviously wasn't a concern for a lot of people.

Considering White Evangelicals are the largest group resisting vaccinations this isn't surprising since many of them view this as something their god will protect them from.
But I like to throw handfuls...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #10059 on: April 07, 2021, 09:21:36 AM »
Considering White Evangelicals are the largest group resisting vaccinations this isn't surprising since many of them view this as something their god will protect them from.

I'm always confused by this type of logic. Have Evangelicals actually read the Bible? Book of Job for instance?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10060 on: April 07, 2021, 05:40:05 PM »
Those following the science already understand that COVID has serious outcomes other than death, but in case we need a reminder:

A third of COVID survivors suffer neurological or mental disorders: study

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-brain/a-third-of-covid-survivors-suffer-neurological-or-mental-disorders-study-idUSKBN2BT2ZI

One in three COVID-19 survivors in a study of more than 230,000 mostly American patients were diagnosed with a brain or psychiatric disorder within six months, suggesting the pandemic could lead to a wave of mental and neurological problems, scientists said on Tuesday.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #10061 on: April 07, 2021, 06:17:34 PM »
Those following the science already understand that COVID has serious outcomes other than death, but in case we need a reminder:

A third of COVID survivors suffer neurological or mental disorders: study

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-brain/a-third-of-covid-survivors-suffer-neurological-or-mental-disorders-study-idUSKBN2BT2ZI

One in three COVID-19 survivors in a study of more than 230,000 mostly American patients were diagnosed with a brain or psychiatric disorder within six months, suggesting the pandemic could lead to a wave of mental and neurological problems, scientists said on Tuesday.

One bit of contention here, but first off, I HATE this headline (surprising given its Reuters), as it’s unnecessarily very dark. Going into the article, you see the vast majority of those cases are anxiety or depression. When people see brain or psychiatric disorders, you immediately go to a much more severe place.

That being said, it says 17% of the sample had anxiety issues.  National stats, irrespective from COVID, pegs the population of adult Americans struggling with anxiety in some form as about 40MM, which is 18%.  Furthermore, I remember seeing an article pre-COVID mentioning that about 1/3 of Americans fall into some form of diagnosable anxiety or clinical depression.

So beyond the difficulty in separating anxiety/depression from an actual COVID after effect versus a myriad of factors given the stress of the last year, the percentages actually track pretty close to national averages anyways.

So on one hand, it feels like kind of a reckless assumption, especially given that the article/study doesn’t mention the above and kind of assumes it’s a COVID after effect.  But on the other hand, mental health is a greatly under addressed issue nationally, so it can’t hurt. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10062 on: April 07, 2021, 06:56:50 PM »
One bit of contention here, but first off, I HATE this headline (surprising given its Reuters), as it’s unnecessarily very dark. Going into the article, you see the vast majority of those cases are anxiety or depression. When people see brain or psychiatric disorders, you immediately go to a much more severe place.

That being said, it says 17% of the sample had anxiety issues.  National stats, irrespective from COVID, pegs the population of adult Americans struggling with anxiety in some form as about 40MM, which is 18%.  Furthermore, I remember seeing an article pre-COVID mentioning that about 1/3 of Americans fall into some form of diagnosable anxiety or clinical depression.

So beyond the difficulty in separating anxiety/depression from an actual COVID after effect versus a myriad of factors given the stress of the last year, the percentages actually track pretty close to national averages anyways.

So on one hand, it feels like kind of a reckless assumption, especially given that the article/study doesn’t mention the above and kind of assumes it’s a COVID after effect.  But on the other hand, mental health is a greatly under addressed issue nationally, so it can’t hurt.

I won’t dispute your point about the headline.

However, the significance of, for example, the anxiety is the brief time window of the diagnosis. You noted the general rate of anxiety as 18%, but that includes people who may have been diagnosed at any point over a period of years. This study noted that 17% of post-COVID patients were diagnosed with anxiety disorder within a six-month period. That is a huge blip on the radar, and it could last for many years as anxiety disorder is frequently a chronic condition. In other words, many of these cases may be added on top of the already epidemic numbers of mental illnesses that we are seeing in the country.

In any event, as you said, it would be great if this leads to increased funding for treatment of mental illnesses. That is desperately needed in this country.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #10063 on: April 08, 2021, 09:29:53 PM »
Huge outbreak with a variant for the Vancouver Canucks:

21 players have tested positive and they said this was the source of the outbreak:

"They said an ongoing investigation by Vancouver Coastal Health and contract tracing found that the outbreak was sparked by a single unidentified individual picking up the infection in a "community setting, which has since been identified by public health as a public exposure location."

Full article:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31210578/vancouver-canucks-21-players-positive-covid-19-source-outbreak-identified

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #10064 on: April 08, 2021, 10:06:19 PM »
Huge outbreak with a variant for the Vancouver Canucks:

21 players have tested positive and they said this was the source of the outbreak:

"They said an ongoing investigation by Vancouver Coastal Health and contract tracing found that the outbreak was sparked by a single unidentified individual picking up the infection in a "community setting, which has since been identified by public health as a public exposure location."

Full article:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31210578/vancouver-canucks-21-players-positive-covid-19-source-outbreak-identified

That's my new line to the old lady when I come home with glitter & lipstick on my shirt and stinking of lilacs and unrequited love.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10065 on: April 08, 2021, 10:38:13 PM »
That's my new line to the old lady when I come home with glitter & lipstick on my shirt and stinking of lilacs and unrequited love.

Sounds like it’ll never be an issue for wifey, hey?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10066 on: April 09, 2021, 09:51:07 AM »
COVID contributes to lowest two years of US population growth in US since 1918:

America’s Population Growth Looks to Be the Slowest Since 1918

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-08/america-s-population-growth-looks-to-be-the-slowest-since-1918

Since the Declaration of Independence in 1776, the population of the U.S. has dropped only once, in 1918, when more people died from the Spanish flu than from war wounds on the battlefields of Europe. The second-lowest year for population growth? Probably this year, 2021.

An April 7 research briefing from Oxford Economics estimates that the U.S. population will grow just 0.2% this year, after growth of just 0.4% last year. Those are the lowest numbers in U.S. history, with the exception of the population shrinkage of about 0.1% in the pandemic year of 1918.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10067 on: April 09, 2021, 12:53:35 PM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-08/america-s-population-growth-looks-to-be-the-slowest-since-1918

Since the Declaration of Independence in 1776, the population of the U.S. has dropped only once, in 1918, when more people died from the Spanish flu than from war wounds on the battlefields of Europe. The second-lowest year for population growth? Probably this year, 2021.

An April 7 research briefing from Oxford Economics estimates that the U.S. population will grow just 0.2% this year, after growth of just 0.4% last year. Those are the lowest numbers in U.S. history, with the exception of the population shrinkage of about 0.1% in the pandemic year of 1918.

I woulda thought folks woulda been gettin' busy when they had nothing else to do.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10068 on: April 09, 2021, 01:28:36 PM »
Example No. 539 of how the previous president and his administration contributed to the pandemic's terrible toll ...

Trump officials celebrated efforts to change CDC reports on coronavirus, emails show

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/04/09/cdc-covid-political-interference/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F31caa3a%2F60707ae59d2fda1dfb487097%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F10%2F70%2F60707ae59d2fda1dfb487097

Trump appointees in the Department of Health and Human Services last year privately touted their efforts to block or alter scientists’ reports on the coronavirus to more closely align with then-President Donald Trump’s more optimistic messages about the outbreak, according to newly released documents from congressional investigators.

The documents provide further insight into how senior Trump officials approached last year’s explosion of coronavirus cases in the United States. Even as career government scientists worked to combat the virus, a cadre of Trump appointees was attempting to blunt the scientists’ messages, edit their findings and equip the president with an alternate set of talking points.

Then-science adviser Paul Alexander wrote to then-HHS public affairs chief Michael Caputo on Sept. 9, 2020, touting two examples of where he said officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had bowed to his pressure and changed language in their reports, according to an email obtained by the House’s select subcommittee on the coronavirus outbreak.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #10069 on: April 09, 2021, 01:54:03 PM »
I woulda thought folks woulda been gettin' busy when they had nothing else to do.

Households with kids around 24/7, not so amorous.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10070 on: April 09, 2021, 02:25:18 PM »

Since the pandemic quarantine started around Mid-March, there would only be a month or two of Covid babies in 2020.

Also, that's not the only factor that drives population growth.

It would be interesting to see  two trend lines of net births/deaths and net immigration/emigration.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10071 on: April 09, 2021, 03:03:43 PM »
Households with kids around 24/7, not so amorous.

True dat.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #10072 on: April 09, 2021, 05:45:39 PM »
Since the pandemic quarantine started around Mid-March, there would only be a month or two of Covid babies in 2020.

Also, that's not the only factor that drives population growth.

It would be interesting to see  two trend lines of net births/deaths and net immigration/emigration.

I read an article today that last year was the smallest percentage population increase in US history except for the other pandemic year - 1918

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10073 on: April 09, 2021, 05:51:19 PM »
I read an article today that last year was the smallest percentage population increase in US history except for the other pandemic year - 1918

Yep.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #10074 on: April 10, 2021, 03:53:54 PM »
Example No. 539 of how the previous president and his administration contributed to the pandemic's terrible toll ...

Trump officials celebrated efforts to change CDC reports on coronavirus, emails show

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/04/09/cdc-covid-political-interference/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F31caa3a%2F60707ae59d2fda1dfb487097%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F10%2F70%2F60707ae59d2fda1dfb487097

Trump appointees in the Department of Health and Human Services last year privately touted their efforts to block or alter scientists’ reports on the coronavirus to more closely align with then-President Donald Trump’s more optimistic messages about the outbreak, according to newly released documents from congressional investigators.

The documents provide further insight into how senior Trump officials approached last year’s explosion of coronavirus cases in the United States. Even as career government scientists worked to combat the virus, a cadre of Trump appointees was attempting to blunt the scientists’ messages, edit their findings and equip the president with an alternate set of talking points.

Then-science adviser Paul Alexander wrote to then-HHS public affairs chief Michael Caputo on Sept. 9, 2020, touting two examples of where he said officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had bowed to his pressure and changed language in their reports, according to an email obtained by the House’s select subcommittee on the coronavirus outbreak.

“Best president of my lifetime”

A prominent but brain poisoned scooper.

feedback