[April 15, 2024, 10:20:46 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

How many want to miss NCAA tournament so Wojo gets fired?

Yes.  It shortens the time to make a move.
12 (9%)
No.  Counter productive, Wojo has made progress and this is silly talk.
91 (67.9%)
No. I hope MU wins a game and Wojo is hired away elsewhere.
31 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Voting closed: January 18, 2020, 11:45:13 AM

Author Topic: Do you want to miss the NCAA tournament so Wojo gets fired?  (Read 26077 times)

panda

• All American
Re: Do you want to miss the NCAA tournament so Wojo gets fired?
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2020, 08:16:49 PM »
That's your word not mine. The word I used was trend, or trending. In a sentence. Marquette has been trending positive year over year since Wojo was hired.

Conference record does not support positive growth. Do you believe we’ll finish better than 12-6 in conference this season?

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2020, 08:18:17 PM »
That's your word not mine. The word I used was trend, or trending. In a sentence. Marquette has been trending positive year over year since Wojo was hired.

Three essentially 500 BE records and one 12-6 season (with an epic coaching choke job at the end) and a 1-3 start this year?

That looks outlier-ish to me.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2020, 08:18:53 PM »
If I thought you would seriously consider or comprehend what trending positive year over year means, I might have taken the time to explain it to you. I simplified it in my year one to year five example and you couldn't even understand that.

What we've really seen were two outlier years and 3 pretty similar, good but not great years. Year 1 isn't even worth discussing. Years 2-4 were all in the 20 win range - good but not great. Years like that should keep us in the NCAA conversation but may leave us nervous on Selection Sunday more often that we'd like. Year 5 is starting to look like an outlier. We went on a great win streak, cracked the top 10, and had a real shot to win the conference.

Looking at the total body of work so far, it seems like 20 wins is about the right bar for Wojo. That's not bad by any stretch, but it's also not going to put us in contention in the Big East very often either.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2020, 08:28:48 PM »
This is the most flawed thinking of the Nojoers. Basically if he wins a post season game then he did exactly what you say he couldn’t do which means he is closer to being the right hire than you want. To me this means, you want to be right versus him being successful aka MU success. This begs the question what would Wojo have to do to be the right guy?  Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight, Final Four, or National Championship? 

Second question is, why do you only want MU to win only one game versus six before he gets hired away?  Right because then Wojo would be the right guy.

There are some here who will never be satisfied under Wojo. They've been against the hire from day 1 and refuse to change their stance, regardless of win/loss record. I truly believe that. If wojo won the conference in 3 of the next 5 seasons and went sweet 16 or better in that same time period, they would be thrilled with the success of MU, but if you talked to them privately, they'd still say they don't like wojo. Happy with MU success, sure. But don't like Wojo. And they'll pounce at the next chance they get.

They say things like "I hope to be proven wrong." But I don't believe that either.

Of course, they can't root for him to fail without being portrayed as anti-MU. So, they hope for success and him being poached. However, if he's successful here, that's only going to make the admin/BOT dig in harder on supporting him. Quite the catch-22.

I wish those guys would just come out and say they don't like Wojo and want him gone no matter the success/failure of MU. Draw the line in the sand. But they won't.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2020, 08:33:24 PM »
There are some here who will never be satisfied under Wojo. They've been against the hire from day 1 and refuse to change their stance, regardless of win/loss record. I truly believe that. If wojo won the conference in 3 of the next 5 seasons and went sweet 16 or better in that same time period, they would be thrilled with the success of MU, but if you talked to them privately, they'd still say they don't like wojo. Happy with MU success, sure. But don't like Wojo. And they'll pounce at the next chance they get.

They say things like "I hope to be proven wrong." But I don't believe that either.

Of course, they can't root for him to fail without being portrayed as anti-MU. So, they hope for success and him being poached. However, if he's successful here, that's only going to make the admin/BOT dig in harder on supporting him. Quite the catch-22.

I wish those guys would just come out and say they don't like Wojo and want him gone no matter the success/failure of MU. Draw the line in the sand. But they won't.

This is like the question - who is our number two.  Hypothetical and not easily answered.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2020, 08:33:38 PM »
This is the most flawed thinking of the Nojoers. Basically if he wins a post season game then he did exactly what you say he couldn’t do which means he is closer to being the right hire than you want. To me this means, you want to be right versus him being successful aka MU success. This begs the question what would Wojo have to do to be the right guy?  Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight, Final Four, or National Championship? 

Second question is, why do you only want MU to win only one game versus six before he gets hired away?  Right because then Wojo would be the right guy.

Hey if he wins a championship or even gets to a Final Four with this crew, I’d be happy to be wrong and give him a lifetime contract.

But IMO it’s in the best long-term interest of MU basketball that he’s not here. He’s not a great coach. So even if he wins a game in the tournament that wouldn’t change my mind. (I’ve never said he couldn’t win a tournament game or simply use that as a measure of success. Mike Deane won a tournament game and he stunk too.)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2020, 08:35:52 PM »

That's me.  The one who hopes to be proven wrong.  And while I don't give a skinny rats @$$ about what you believe, my statement happens to be true.

And I have said that I do not like Coach Wojo but I have a great deal of respect for Person Wojo.  I cannot speak for the others who feel he is a poor coach/good person but I suspect I am not alone in how I feel.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2020, 08:44:16 PM »
That's me.  The one who hopes to be proven wrong.  And while I don't give a skinny rats @$$ about what you believe, my statement happens to be true.

And I have said that I do not like Coach Wojo but I have a great deal of respect for Person Wojo.  I cannot speak for the others who feel he is a poor coach/good person but I suspect I am not alone in how I feel.
You speak for many. As far as those who secretly hate Wojo and root for all bad things to happen to Marquette just so he’s fired? Yeah, those aren’t a thing.
No Finish Line

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2020, 08:45:10 PM »
You should know, you just "rejoined" two weeks ago.....LOL.

By the way, since you have no idea how many hours I work, how late I work, how I work 7 days a week....you can stow it.  I have a situation where I can be working until 2:00am some days, and some days not.  Happy to show you plenty of other people here posting all the time, but of course the selective outrage from the "new" poster.  LOL.   And your comments about me not having surgery coming up....dude...you are a long-timer here, don't pretend you aren't.  And yes, because of the Super Bowl, because of a wedding next month and a few other things, I've delayed the surgery for a bit.  Getting a wing fixed and the chances of hurting it more are slim, so delaying.

Sorry “dude” but I don’t know who you. I have no idea why anyone would pretend to not be a long time poster.  I actually have a real life and don’t live through multiple user names on a sports message board.

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2020, 08:49:14 PM »
This candy ass, politically correct administration will not fire Wojo no matter how much the team underachieves because they have a coach who mirrors them.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2020, 08:49:24 PM »
Sorry “dude” but I don’t know who you. I have no idea why anyone would pretend to not be a long time poster.  I actually have a real life and don’t live through multiple user names on a sports message board.

Why did you say I wasn't having surgery?  I am using one username.  This is why I know you aren't a new user, good try....you gave yourself away yesterday.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2020, 08:50:49 PM »
This candy ass, politically correct administration will not fire Wojo no matter how much the team underachieves because they have a coach who mirrors them.

You show them....cancel those tickets, stop those massive donations.  Show them who is boss and take their Candy Asses out to the garbage bin.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2020, 08:51:27 PM »
Three essentially 500 BE records and one 12-6 season (with an epic coaching choke job at the end) and a 1-3 start this year?

That looks outlier-ish to me.

Nothing you have presented has disproven the fact, that statistically, Marquette has been trending in a positive direction year over year since Wojos hiring.

If you believe you can try a bait and switch to undermine my argument you are sadly mistaken.

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2020, 08:53:40 PM »
You show them....cancel those tickets, stop those massive donations.  Show them who is boss and take their Candy Asses out to the garbage bin.

The donors are candy asses too, so we are stuck w/ the wojo lolly pop

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2020, 09:00:28 PM »

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2020, 09:10:42 PM »
Nothing you have presented has disproven the fact, that statistically, Marquette has been trending in a positive direction year over year since Wojos hiring.

If you believe you can try a bait and switch to undermine my argument you are sadly mistaken.

2014–15   Marquette   13–19   4–14   T–9th   
2015–16   Marquette   20–13   8–10   7th   
2016–17   Marquette   19–13   10–8   T–3rd   NCAA Division I First Round
2017–18   Marquette   21–14   9–9   T–6th   NIT Quarterfinal
2018–19   Marquette   24–10   12–6   2nd   NCAA Division I First Round
2019–20   Marquette   11–5   1–3

Wojo’s BE standing trend is this 9th, 7th, 3rd, 6th, 2nd, TBD.  Upward trajectory

Win trend is 13, 20, 19, 21, 24, TBD.  Movement upward.

Conference wins trend is 4, 8, 10, 9, 12, TBD. Movement upward.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2020, 09:14:29 PM »
2014–15   Marquette   13–19   4–14   T–9th   
2015–16   Marquette   20–13   8–10   7th   
2016–17   Marquette   19–13   10–8   T–3rd   NCAA Division I First Round
2017–18   Marquette   21–14   9–9   T–6th   NIT Quarterfinal
2018–19   Marquette   24–10   12–6   2nd   NCAA Division I First Round
2019–20   Marquette   11–5   1–3

Wojo’s BE standing trend is this 9th, 7th, 3rd, 6th, 2nd, TBD.  Upward trajectory

Win trend is 13, 20, 19, 21, 24, TBD.  Movement upward.

Conference wins trend is 4, 8, 10, 9, 12, TBD. Movement upward.

Excluding year 1, it's almost the definition of
"flat" with one outlier in weak BE year.  This year will prove one side right.  We will see what happens.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2020, 09:29:15 PM »
Excluding year 1, it's almost the definition of
"flat" with one outlier in weak BE year.  This year will prove one side right.  We will see what happens.

How is 7th, 3rd, 6th, 2nd the definition of flat?  Looks to me like 3 years of improvement and one going the other way.  At some point you do want "flat" in terms of stability, smooth out the highs and lows. 

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2020, 09:30:49 PM »
Why did you say I wasn't having surgery?  I am using one username.  This is why I know you aren't a new user, good try....you gave yourself away yesterday.

I said you weren’t having surgery because that would be when you were going to take a break from being cheeks and post as one of your other usernames for that month. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2020, 09:35:16 PM »
I said you weren’t having surgery because that would be when you were going to take a break from being cheeks and post as one of your other usernames for that month.

Look, you've been cooked and caught by your own words.  Just stop.  I have one username that I am using...period...but hey "you just joined" so you have this history.  LOL. 

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2020, 09:47:42 PM »

Your frustration is misplaced.  Instead of lashing out at Wojo’s critics, you should be angry with Wojo for not shutting them up in the 5.5 years he’s had to do so.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I remember you saying that as long as Wojo is running a clean program, you’ll support him and the team no matter what.  (Again, I apologize if I’m putting words in your mouth, but I recall you saying something like that.)  You can’t blame people for not feeling that way.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2020, 09:48:41 PM »
I've yet to find anyone that said that is the main reason....have you?

Yes, quite often (i.e. “name me the coach to replace Wojo who could keep this class”). It is used all the time as one of the few arguments some pro-Wojo posters turn to when they can’t point to any other good on-the-court reason to keep him.

Emphasis on some. But it is made way too much to the point that it’s pathetic. Pinning our hopes for success on HS students and falsely believing no other coach could possibly recruit decently as well.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 09:54:59 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2020, 09:52:28 PM »
Look, you've been cooked and caught by your own words.  Just stop.  I have one username that I am using...period...but hey "you just joined" so you have this history.  LOL.

Wouldn’t it be caught and cooked? You can’t cook something before you catch it....LOL.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2020, 09:53:08 PM »
Yes, quite often (i.e. “name me the coach to replace Wojo who could keep this class”. It is used all the time as one of the few arguments some pro-Wojo posters turn to when they can’t point to any other good on-the-court reason to keep him.

Not the main argument or the only argument...an argument, sure, but if such examples exist they should be easy to find.

feedback