[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

How many want to miss NCAA tournament so Wojo gets fired?

Yes.  It shortens the time to make a move.
12 (9%)
No.  Counter productive, Wojo has made progress and this is silly talk.
91 (67.9%)
No. I hope MU wins a game and Wojo is hired away elsewhere.
31 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Voting closed: January 18, 2020, 11:45:13 AM

Author Topic: Do you want to miss the NCAA tournament so Wojo gets fired?  (Read 26192 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Do you want to miss the NCAA tournament so Wojo gets fired?
« on: January 13, 2020, 11:45:13 AM »
You know where I stand (a no vote), but when I see people actively wanting him fired (you know who you are) then I have to think some of you want us to miss this year's tournament to help satiate the means to the end.  Making the tournament, in some eyes, just means another year. 

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Lens

• All American
Re: Do you want to miss the NCAA tournament so Wojo gets fired?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 11:48:08 AM »
Absolutely not.  In fact I would see making the tourney with this team (and at this 1-3 point) as a sign that he's progressing as a coach.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 11:53:03 AM »
Lol, its sad this question even needs to be asked.

I'll keep Wojo and his recruiting class.  People that think MU can do considerably better than Wojo are delusional. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 12:00:23 PM »
Lol, its sad this question even needs to be asked.

I'll keep Wojo and his recruiting class.  People that think MU can do considerably better than Wojo are delusional.

That's where I'm kind of at. Yea it's been frustrating.

But who is waiting in the wings that's going to be an automatic upgrade from Wojo? Nobody who wants Wojo fired even bothers to throw out any names.

muhoopsfan6@yahoo.com

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 12:08:29 PM »
While I'm not a huge Wojo supporter as I feel he has not lived up to my expectations I do root for the team to succeed.  If this team with Wojo at helm finds it's way into the NCAA's I think that would be sufficient proof for me that Wojo has made huge strides into becoming the coach we all want him to be.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 12:12:49 PM »
It will be interesting to see who will own the fact that there dislike of Wojo is stronger than their love of MU basketball.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 12:15:15 PM »
It will be interesting to see who will own the fact that there dislike of Wojo is stronger than their love of MU basketball.

Sometimes it seems like about 75% of the posters here are in that category.  Sad. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 12:18:49 PM »
It did make my few days away easier.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 12:21:12 PM »

But who is waiting in the wings that's going to be an automatic upgrade from Wojo? Nobody who wants Wojo fired even bothers to throw out any names.

Pitino was mentioned!

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 12:21:29 PM »
Sometimes it seems like about 75% of the posters here are in that category.  Sad.

Correction: 75% of posts, 8% of posters.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 12:23:35 PM »
Should have been another option that states "Want to miss tourney so I am proven right"

Unfortunate minority of posters here who would rather be right than Marquette win.

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 12:25:00 PM »
What a dumb question. Anyone who cares more about the coach being fired than making the NCAA tournament has a screw loose.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 12:27:16 PM »

I can't imagine a single person here feeling that way. This may be me projecting my own thoughts, but I'm assuming most people here that dislike Wojo only dislike him because they feel like he's not good for MU basketball. To assume any other reason for fans to dislike Wojo or any other coach is just intellectually dishonest.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 12:46:07 PM »

Few will own up to this.

For the record, I voted no. But I have very little hopes we make the tournament based on the conference start.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 12:48:03 PM »

haven't you heard? These are the candidates that are the current finalists and would take the job for $1 a year:

Coach K
Tom Izzo
Mark Few
Brad Stevens
Pop
Steve Kerr
Billy Donovan
Hologram Al McGuire

We had so many big names camping out in front of the Al the last time around certainly after firing Wojo we'll have even more.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 03:34:01 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2020, 01:12:39 PM »
The fact that its even discussed should show why hes not the right person for the job. 

If we can't make the tourney with an all american and greatest scorer in marquette history why would we think he is capable of coaching up any incoming class to march madness play level?

This was his year to make hay.   It fell apart because he lost control of the locker room, or never had it in the first place.   
I really hope marquette has the guts to can him if we no show the post season this year. But i seriously doubt they will unless he loses the commits or something crazy happens.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2020, 01:13:56 PM »
The fact that its even discussed should show why hes not the right person for the job. 

If we can't make the tourney with an all american and greatest scorer in marquette history why would we think he is capable of coaching up any incoming class to march madness play level?

This was his year to make hay.   It fell apart because he lost control of the locker room, or never had it in the first place.   
I really hope marquette has the guts to can him if we no show the post season this year. But i seriously doubt they will unless he loses the commits or something crazy happens.

Except they will make the tourney, soooooooo

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2020, 01:33:39 PM »
The 15% of you (so far) that voted for Sherman to burn everything down....how many of you are between ages of 45 and 54?

New study came out today....  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-13/middle-age-misery-peaks-at-age-of-47-2-economist-says

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2020, 01:37:05 PM »

You're in the 16% as of right now.....and stop with your nonsense, looking at your posts you have been anti-Wojo since the start, so don't begin to make it sound like year 5 may hay stuff.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2020, 01:45:39 PM »
Question; in this scenario do we make the tournament and get humiliated in the first round again?
No Finish Line

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2020, 01:59:59 PM »
Question; in this scenario do we make the tournament and get humiliated in the first round again?

Irrelevant.  If we lost by 7 points the same exact people would bitch.

Simple question

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2020, 02:03:32 PM »

Simple question
Very relevant and without that info I’ll abstain
No Finish Line

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2020, 02:12:05 PM »
Few will own up to this.

For the record, I voted no. But I have very little hopes we make the tournament based on the conference start.

I think the delusional aspect of this is assuming that people who dislike Wojo as a coach would hope MU b-ball fails in any way.  I think Coach Wojo leaves a lot to be desired and that there are far better all-around coaches out there who would love to be MU's coach.  Now, I would LOVE to be proved wrong on Coach Wojo as I also think Person Wojo is an honorable individual who represents MU well. 

I am certain most people who dislike Wojo as a coach feel the same way.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2020, 02:16:25 PM »

Simple question

If we lost by seven points and were actually competitive in the NCAA tournament - a nice change of pace from what we have experienced/seen so far - people would be happy.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2020, 02:33:13 PM »

Posters giving names for possible hires, even when their team has already fired their coach and are looking, is always awful. That said, the idea that a coach of Wojo's calibur and one that is actually a better all-around coach than Wojo is not available are deluding themselves into accepting mediocrity.

The next coach may not be the answer, but why are you wasting years with a coach most of us already can tell is not the answer? Norland and Parrish talk about this every year on their podcast. Once you know your coach is not the guy, move on. Keeping him cause you are afraid can do more damage long-term than moving on quickly and failing with the next one.

Keeping Wojo for a single recruiting class is the worst pro-Wojo take.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence