[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

How many want to miss NCAA tournament so Wojo gets fired?

Yes.  It shortens the time to make a move.
12 (9%)
No.  Counter productive, Wojo has made progress and this is silly talk.
91 (67.9%)
No. I hope MU wins a game and Wojo is hired away elsewhere.
31 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Voting closed: January 18, 2020, 11:45:13 AM

Author Topic: Do you want to miss the NCAA tournament so Wojo gets fired?  (Read 26244 times)

Norm

• All American
Re: Do you want to miss the NCAA tournament so Wojo gets fired?
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2020, 02:38:35 PM »
I think the delusional aspect of this is assuming that people who dislike Wojo as a coach would hope MU b-ball fails in any way.  I think Coach Wojo leaves a lot to be desired and that there are far better all-around coaches out there who would love to be MU's coach.  Now, I would LOVE to be proved wrong on Coach Wojo as I also think Person Wojo is an honorable individual who represents MU well. 

I am certain most people who dislike Wojo as a coach feel the same way.

This

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2020, 02:58:37 PM »
Very relevant and without that info I’ll abstain

No it isn't. 

Is being up by 15 points with under 14 minutes to play on a neutral court as a 6 seed over an 11 seed in the NCAA tournament where we ultimately lose....HUMILIATING?  Because it happened in 2010 in first round against Washington.

Is a game where we are two possessions down with about 7 minutes to go and run out of gas, can't make a shot, etc, etc and lose by 20 to a 10 seed that goes to the FINAL FOUR....HUMILIATING?

Etc, etc.   Too subjective. 

PICK A POSITION.  Not that hard.  Do you want to make the NCAA tournament or if doing so means the coach you don't care for and isn't the "answer" for you sticks around.  PRETTY DAMN SIMPLE.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2020, 03:00:17 PM »
If we lost by seven points and were actually competitive in the NCAA tournament - a nice change of pace from what we have experienced/seen so far - people would be happy.

No they wouldn't and you know it. I can provide plenty of examples here where people bitch a fit that we made the Final Four because of how we lost.  It's nothing but a smokescreen the margin of loss, and to deny this is comical.  We lost, and to many people that is ALL that matters.  Not if it was close, because if the games were close the same people would say he is 0-2 an that's all the matters to them. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2020, 03:22:14 PM »
No it isn't. 

Is being up by 15 points with under 14 minutes to play on a neutral court as a 6 seed over an 11 seed in the NCAA tournament where we ultimately lose....HUMILIATING?  Because it happened in 2010 in first round against Washington.

Is a game where we are two possessions down with about 7 minutes to go and run out of gas, can't make a shot, etc, etc and lose by 20 to a 10 seed that goes to the FINAL FOUR....HUMILIATING?

PICK A POSITION.  Not that hard.  Do you want to make the NCAA tournament or if doing so means the coach you don't care for and isn't the "answer" for you sticks around.  PRETTY DAMN SIMPLE.
Why so triggered lately? I get to choose if it’s relevant to me. Not you. You get to choose what’s relevant to you.
No Finish Line

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2020, 03:39:30 PM »
No it isn't. 

When Wojo does something good besides winning a an occasional regular season game against a good team, we'll start cutting him some more slack.  Not sure why this is not obvious to you.  Sure Buzz lost a game to Washington in a 6-11 game (which is still a much better result than Wojo's best NCAA performance BTW), but we won 8 NCAA games with him, too.  Until we win something of import under Wojo, people aren't going to cut him much slack.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2020, 03:39:37 PM »
Keeping Wojo for a single recruiting class is the worst pro-Wojo take.
Agree 100%. I have faith that MU would not and is not running the basketball program like a scared child and will make a change when it is time to. Sure it would not be fun to lose a great recruiting class but it would be a short term loss for the long term benefit of the program.

And there are most definitely a lot of great coaching candidates for a job like MU. Anyone who says any different does not understand what a tremendous university it is and its dedication to have a great basketball program.

All that said, I'm not supporting that Wojo be fired. There is plenty of basketball yet to be played this season and he most definitely deserves the opportunity to right the ship. (not that the fans here have any say in what he deserves).

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2020, 04:01:38 PM »
Why so triggered lately? I get to choose if it’s relevant to me. Not you. You get to choose what’s relevant to you.

Not triggered, feel free to start a poll if you wish.  Mine is very straight forward.  I also think for most people bitching about post season losses, they don’t give one damn if it is by 1 point or 20....it’s an L to them.  They don’t care if we lost to a Final Four team or someone that loses next game...it’s an L to them.  I say this by simply reading their comments and historical responses.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2020, 04:07:06 PM »
No they wouldn't and you know it. I can provide plenty of examples here where people bitch a fit that we made the Final Four because of how we lost.  It's nothing but a smokescreen the margin of loss, and to deny this is comical.  We lost, and to many people that is ALL that matters.  Not if it was close, because if the games were close the same people would say he is 0-2 an that's all the matters to them.

All I know if that I was bummed we lost in the Final Four but immensely proud that we got there.  Most people I know felt the same way.  I cannot comment on the rest of MU humanity that you are convinced is the overwhelming majority, apparently.

And f$%& the margin of loss.  It's being competitive and fighting to the last second that matters.  Wojo's teams don't.  And worse, for the most part (meaning I am not talking about the isolated games you are sure to mention) Wojo's teams are wet-sponge soft and that is what irritates.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2020, 04:11:06 PM »
Cant vote No with phrase "Wojo has been productive" in there, and cat vote yes. Flawed poll.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2020, 04:16:30 PM »
Lol, its sad this question even needs to be asked.

I'll keep Wojo and his recruiting class.  People that think MU can do considerably better than Wojo are delusional.

The question is being asked by a fragile clickbait whore, it doesn't *need* to be asked

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2020, 04:28:49 PM »
People that think MU can do considerably better than Wojo are delusional. 

Marquette most certainly can do better.  They have previously.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2020, 04:29:31 PM »
I hope he gets to the tournament, wins a game, and is hired away elsewhere.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2020, 04:33:31 PM »
Cant vote No with phrase "Wojo has been productive" in there, and cat vote yes. Flawed poll.

Exactly this...not voting yes because A. The success of MU basketball is more important to me than any Coach. B. I ALWAYS want to see them in the NCAA's. C. Even if they do miss the tourney, I doubt he gets fired anyway. D. I'm not voting no because of the above mentioned phrase. If it was just straight no...that'd be my vote. But as is written, I'm abstaining. Lose any more home games to mediocre basketball teams this year and I will be teetering on the brink big time.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2020, 04:36:17 PM »
Cheekz, yikes man, pilot's really lost control of the plane for you these days, even more than usual. Spend time with family, focus on work, and step away from the Scoop.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2020, 04:54:55 PM »
I hope he gets to the tournament, wins a game, and is hired away elsewhere.
Winner. Chico’s, edit the poll to add this option please and thanks.
No Finish Line

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2020, 04:58:17 PM »
You know where I stand (a no vote), but when I see people actively wanting him fired (you know who you are) then I have to think some of you want us to miss this year's tournament to help satiate the means to the end.  Making the tournament, in some eyes, just means another year.

Do you even have a job? When I graduate from college I would love to have a job where I have as much free time as Cheeks to troll the  net and be the biggest mu hoops expert. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2020, 05:04:51 PM »
The question is being asked by a fragile clickbait whore, it doesn't *need* to be asked
“Fragile Clickbait Whore” could be one of his burner accounts

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2020, 05:29:24 PM »
It was 80/20 voters wanting to win.

Poll reset with new option.

leever

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2020, 05:31:50 PM »
Do you even have a job? When I graduate from college I would love to have a job where I have as much free time as Cheeks to troll the  net and be the biggest mu hoops expert.
Mr. Barf - As you are a walkon with only a few posts here's a piece of advice - do not encourage Cheeks to prove that he has a job and/or explain his "free time" posting.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2020, 05:33:40 PM »
Mr. Barf - As you are a walkon with only a few posts here's a piece of advice - do not encourage Cheeks prove that he has a job and/or explain his "free time" posting.

Actually, he doesn't need any encouragement at all.   But you aren't going to fix him.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2020, 06:18:04 PM »
Lol, its sad this question even needs to be asked.

I'll keep Wojo and his recruiting class.  People that think MU can do considerably better than Wojo are delusional.
Now...that statement is delusional
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2020, 06:38:24 PM »

Marquette most certainly can do better.  They have previously.

This. What’s delusional is the thinking that the MU job is a crap job and that we can’t do better than a coach who likely won’t win an NCAA tournament game his first 7 years on the job, 4 of which included the programs all-time leading scorer and two-time All-American.

I voted win a game and get hired away. Never want to see MU lose. I don’t dislike Wojo the person, just hate the way he coaches.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2020, 07:03:50 PM »
Agree 100%. I have faith that MU would not and is not running the basketball program like a scared child and will make a change when it is time to. Sure it would not be fun to lose a great recruiting class but it would be a short term loss for the long term benefit of the program.

And there are most definitely a lot of great coaching candidates for a job like MU. Anyone who says any different does not understand what a tremendous university it is and its dedication to have a great basketball program.

All that said, I'm not supporting that Wojo be fired. There is plenty of basketball yet to be played this season and he most definitely deserves the opportunity to right the ship. (not that the fans here have any say in what he deserves).

Why is this so hard for people to understand??

I'm going to try this one more time.

This incoming class is not the ONLY reason some people still support keeping Wojo.

It is ONE of the reasons, along with,  the trajectory of the program, regular season wins vs losses, tournament appearances, past recruiting of some talented and exciting players, growth as a coach, and the risks associated with a coaching change which include the possibility of LOSING this recruiting class. That last point is something people seem to lose sight of. Wojo gets credit for this recruiting class, but there is also the risk of losing those recruits if Wojo leaves. In a way it carries twice the weight in support of keeping Wojo than the single issue it appears to be at first glance.

The scales were balanced fairly evenly in regards to keeping Wojo or letting him go. The added weight of next years recruits combined with the risk of losing them clearly tipped the scales in favor of keeping Wojo IMHO

panda

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2020, 07:05:46 PM »
Why is this so hard for people to understand??

I'm going to try this one more time.

This incoming class is not the ONLY reason some people still support keeping Wojo.

It is ONE of the reasons, along with,  the trajectory of the program, regular season wins vs losses, tournament appearances, past recruiting of some talented and exciting players, growth as a coach, and the risks associated with a coaching change which include the possibility of LOSING this recruiting class. That last point is something people seem to lose sight of. Wojo gets credit for this recruiting class, but there is also the risk of losing those recruits if Wojo leaves. In a way it carries twice the weight in support of keeping Wojo than the single issue it appears to be at first glance.

The scales were balanced fairly evenly in regards to keeping Wojo or letting him go. The added weight of next years recruits combined with the risk of losing them clearly tipped the scales in favor of keeping Wojo IMHO

Can a straight line be a trajectory?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2020, 07:08:08 PM »
So my poll was revised....start your own damn poll.  Good Lord.

feedback