[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Missing Scoopers?  (Read 40257 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Missing Scoopers?
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2020, 01:58:06 PM »
Chick, Goo, Warriordad - well said.

I am an MU basketball fan. Technology has given voice to any idiot who wants to be the guy who screams the loudest. I am tired of it, but I accept that is the way it is. The result? I come here way less often that I used to. It is why Twitter and Facebook are not a part of my life.

I have reservations about Wojo's coaching skills and hope they improve. If not, eventually "OK" will not be good enough and he will be gone. In the meantime, I will not be one of the Scoopers who will happily destroy MU basketball to satisfy their feelings.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2020, 02:01:26 PM »
real 83

You are a member of a lot of secret MU ball clubs. Well deserved, you are one of the good ones!

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2020, 02:06:46 PM »
“Mods, please ban those posters whose views I don’t agree with!”

But seriously, this is the worst five year stretch MU ball has had since Scoop started in 2006.  Things were bound to get increasingly negative, especially since that stretch came on the heels of our best run since Al.  No real surprise there.  Things will get more positive when MU has more success.  Until then, there will be those who complain, and those who complain about the complainers.

This right here. Not sure why people get so bent about disagreements and differing opinions. Maybe everyone should just respond to every post with:  “I agree.”  Sure would be a vibrant and dynamic board.

P.S.  Those of you who are staunch Wojo backers, you aren’t any bigger or better fans than those of us who are frustrated. Your side just has lower expectations from the MU program and seems content with a 30-50ish type of team. If that weren’t the case you’d stop trying to rationalize why we can’t crack the Top 25 or haven’t won an NCAA game under Wojo.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2020, 02:13:31 PM »
It's not the negativity that gets to me, it's every f*cking thread devolving into re-litigating some issue in the past, even going back to the Crean era.

If that went away and we could focus on this year's squad, it'd be a much more readable board.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2020, 02:22:28 PM »
Maybe instead of banning anyone, we could just limit all individual posters to like 5 or 10 posts a day. I can't think of anything about MUBB so important to say that I need to say it more than 5 times in a day, or something that hasn't already been said in the other 120,000 posts in the last year. Or maybe relax that in just the gameday threads or something. Just a thought?

2 written posts per day but unlimited ability to post gifs or haikus

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2020, 02:22:41 PM »
It's not the negativity that gets to me, it's every f*cking thread devolving into re-litigating some issue in the past, even going back to the Crean era.

If that went away and we could focus on this year's squad, it'd be a much more readable board.

This. 100%.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2020, 02:39:20 PM »
I don't care if there's a topic I don't agree with or a Scooper's viewpoint I disagree with, but maybe the mods could implement a rule stating that the posting of multiple threads on the same topic by the same Scooper mandates a 30 day ban.  The other day I counted 3 (and maybe a fourth, if MikeDeanesDarkGlasses and Mike Deanes Seat Belt are the same poster), all on the same topic. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2020, 03:04:18 PM »
I don't care if there's a topic I don't agree with or a Scooper's viewpoint I disagree with, but maybe the mods could implement a rule stating that the posting of multiple threads on the same topic by the same Scooper mandates a 30 day ban.  The other day I counted 3 (and maybe a fourth, if MikeDeanesDarkGlasses and Mike Deanes Seat Belt are the same poster), all on the same topic.

This. +1

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2020, 03:12:49 PM »
Those of you who are staunch Wojo backers, you aren’t any bigger or better fans than those of us who are frustrated. Your side just has lower expectations from the MU program and seems content with a 30-50ish type of team. If that weren’t the case you’d stop trying to rationalize why we can’t crack the Top 25 or haven’t won an NCAA game under Wojo.

I find posts like this frustrating.

With just 4 Big East games under our belt, it's waaayyy too soon to draw any definitive conclusions on the season. There are still 14 conference games left to play -- more than 3/4 of the schedule. I think this team still has the potential to make a run at a league title, a Top 20 ranking and a 4 or 5 NCAA seed.

I supported Wojo's contract extension -- but I wouldn't call myself a staunch Wojo backer. I'm a staunch backer of Marquette basketball. The way last season ended was gut-wrenching. I'm very concerned about the inconsistency from game to game this season. I don't have lower expectations for the program. And I'm not content with a 30-50ish type of team. (I'd be surprised if anyone who posts on this site is; I can't stand unfounded statements like this.)

To be clear, I expect Marquette to rise to the level of a Top 20-25 program -- year in, year out. National titles should be the goal, rather than just making the tournament. If a private Catholic university like Villanova can do it, I see no reason why MU can't.

I simply disagree that it's 100% clear, without a doubt, we've already seen the best Wojo has to offer. That's an opinion, not a fact. I disagree the program has shown zero signs of progress under Wojo. I disagree there's no chance this team will raise its level of play. And I disagree that any of the constant comparisons between Wojo and past coaches (Deane, Crean, Williams) are at all relevant.

It doesn't make me right. It doesn't mean my mind is forever made up about Wojo or the future of the program. It doesn't make me a better fan. They're my own opinions, based on what I've seen and learned in my 30+ years of rooting for Marquette basketball.

The next few games, and the rest of the season, will tell us a lot.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2020, 04:17:27 PM »
I read all your posts aloud in a shrill, screeching voice.
Not cool, PRN. Not cool.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2020, 04:18:19 PM »
This. 100%.

For me, it’s the personal nature of the “discussions.” We can disagree, even get heated, but the personal attacks are tough to read. I would think this is one of those places where we all have one thing in common and would respect each other a bit more because of it. It bugs me that what could be a rational discussion ends up an angry, selfish, unnecessary questioning of sanity, mental stability, fandom, politics, and on and on.

We all want Marquette to be great, we are average amongst the top tier schools, well above average as a whole. We all want each other to be great, we are average. We could be great.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2020, 04:21:30 PM »
Maybe instead of banning anyone, we could just limit all individual posters to like 5 or 10 posts a day. I can't think of anything about MUBB so important to say that I need to say it more than 5 times in a day, or something that hasn't already been said in the other 120,000 posts in the last year. Or maybe relax that in just the gameday threads or something. Just a thought?
I like the thought but Sybil will just create even more sock puppets to get around the posting limit.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2020, 04:37:27 PM »
I find posts like this frustrating.

With just 4 Big East games under our belt, it's waaayyy too soon to draw any definitive conclusions on the season. There are still 14 conference games left to play -- more than 3/4 of the schedule. I think this team still has the potential to make a run at a league title, a Top 20 ranking and a 4 or 5 NCAA seed.

I supported Wojo's contract extension -- but I wouldn't call myself a staunch Wojo backer. I'm a staunch backer of Marquette basketball. The way last season ended was gut-wrenching. I'm very concerned about the inconsistency from game to game this season. I don't have lower expectations for the program. And I'm not content with a 30-50ish type of team. (I'd be surprised if anyone who posts on this site is; I can't stand unfounded statements like this.)

To be clear, I expect Marquette to rise to the level of a Top 20-25 program -- year in, year out. National titles should be the goal, rather than just making the tournament. If a private Catholic university like Villanova can do it, I see no reason why MU can't.

I simply disagree that it's 100% clear, without a doubt, we've already seen the best Wojo has to offer. That's an opinion, not a fact. I disagree the program has shown zero signs of progress under Wojo. I disagree there's no chance this team will raise its level of play. And I disagree that any of the constant comparisons between Wojo and past coaches (Deane, Crean, Williams) are at all relevant.

It doesn't make me right. It doesn't mean my mind is forever made up about Wojo or the future of the program. It doesn't make me a better fan. They're my own opinions, based on what I've seen and learned in my 30+ years of rooting for Marquette basketball.

The next few games, and the rest of the season, will tell us a lot.

I agree.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2020, 05:06:55 PM »
I like the thought but Sybil will just create even more sock puppets to get around the posting limit.

Statements like this are not helpful.

I am totally new to the board and just because I happened to agree with Cheeks or Chicos or whatever people call him, people on the other side of the argument accused me of being him.
I hope the NoJos are starting to see that there is a large section of the fan base who disagree with their take on Wojo.

I made this point in another post but I'll try to make it again here.

If Wojos record, (wins and losses, tournament appearances, recruiting, coaching, player development, leadership, character, etc), was as bad as the NoJos portray it, wouldn't it be obvious to everyone( recruits, the BoD, ALL the fans)??

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2020, 05:13:03 PM »
real 83

You are a member of a lot of secret MU ball clubs. Well deserved, you are one of the good ones!

You too.  Hugs and kisses brother.  ;)

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2020, 05:13:23 PM »
Nd sucks.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2020, 05:20:38 PM »
You too.  Hugs and kisses brother.  ;)
Squirmy

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #142 on: January 14, 2020, 05:33:08 PM »
This right here. Not sure why people get so bent about disagreements and differing opinions. Maybe everyone should just respond to every post with:  “I agree.”  Sure would be a vibrant and dynamic board.

P.S.  Those of you who are staunch Wojo backers, you aren’t any bigger or better fans than those of us who are frustrated. Your side just has lower expectations from the MU program and seems content with a 30-50ish type of team. If that weren’t the case you’d stop trying to rationalize why we can’t crack the Top 25 or haven’t won an NCAA game under Wojo.
No, you are wrong. We need more thought police rules on posting.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #143 on: January 14, 2020, 05:40:30 PM »
I don't know if y'all have noticed that I haven't visited the basketball threads recently, but here's why: even though I have put many of the more egregious posters on Ignore, it is simply not worth wading through all the vitriol, mean-spiritedness, and outright stupidity to get to anything that I would want to read.

FFS, we soundly beat a top-ten team, and some of you still found reasons to post harshly negative crap during and after the game. Every single thread, even if it starts out as reasonable discourse (like this one), devolves into a name-calling, dick-swinging argument about the same topics over and over again. This isn't a Marquette fan site any more.  It's a Marquette bashing site.  Fans of our opponents who visit this site must laugh their asses off, and I don't blame them.

I don't need to waste my time reading the posts of armchair coaches, failed athletes, and straight up idiots who have nothing constructive or insightful to say. It is possible to criticize without being hateful, but most of the recent posters on Scoop have chosen to forgo that route.  I know several other folks who used to be very active on Scoop who don't even log in anymore, and they were some of the most incisive, entertaining posters.

I am forever grateful to the mods for creating this site, as I have derived a lot of pleasure from participating in it.  But they have allowed it to be taken over by its most despicable posters.   Perhaps they don't mind, or may even agree with those "fans".  But if they want to return Scoop to the days when fans could have reasonable conversations, may I humbly suggest that they put the worst offenders (and we all know who they are) on a very long break and allow the site to mend itself.
Different points of view are good. This would be a pretty boring board if everyone agreed and was always rah rah.

I agree with you that the name calling and disrespect should be kept to a minimum, but you are being hypocritical criticizing others while calling them stupid and idiots among other things. I do think some of the posts are out of line, but I also think there are some snowflakes that are offended by anything. It's not offensive for someone to have a different point of view.

At the end of the day the mods do a great job of not being overbearing while still laying the wood when needed

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #144 on: January 14, 2020, 06:02:40 PM »
Different points of view are good. This would be a pretty boring board if everyone agreed and was always rah rah.

I agree with you that the name calling and disrespect should be kept to a minimum, but you are being hypocritical criticizing others while calling them stupid and idiots among other things. I do think some of the posts are out of line, but I also think there are some snowflakes that are offended by anything. It's not offensive for someone to have a different point of view.

At the end of the day the mods do a great job of not being overbearing while still laying the wood when needed

In fairness, she didn't call anyone out by name, or in a direct posted response. She spoke in generalities and directed them at the entire community. There is a huge difference. One is personal, the other impersonal.. If a person feels that a general comment is specifically referring to them, well........
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:11:24 PM by WhoaJoe2020 »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #145 on: January 14, 2020, 06:12:10 PM »
Nd sucks.

This sentiment is good anywhere, but it most belongs in the NM thread. As a service to you, my friend, I have added such a post in your honor.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #146 on: January 14, 2020, 06:25:23 PM »
In fairness, she didn't call anyone out by name, or in a direct posted response. She spoke in generalities and directed them at the entire community. There is a huge difference. One is personal, the other impersonal.. If a person feels that a general comment is specifically referring to them, well........
Ok if you say so. She is still using language that she is criticizing others for using. She is also specifically calling out those posters who criticize the team which are specific posters. Believe me I have had my share of posters call me names or my posts "dumb" etc. And I have done so on occasion as well. I do try to keep the name calling out of it and at least make a credible argument.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2020, 06:56:21 PM »
Ok if you say so. She is still using language that she is criticizing others for using. She is also specifically calling out those posters who criticize the team which are specific posters. Believe me I have had my share of posters call me names or my posts "dumb" etc. And I have done so on occasion as well. I do try to keep the name calling out of it and at least make a credible argument.

I explained the major difference in the post you responded to. I don't know what else to say. If people called you names, or insulted you directly, then her comments would also apply to them. Her comments about people spamming the board with Nega-bombs should only bother those who engage in the behavior. I also support what she said about them.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:59:48 PM by WhoaJoe2020 »

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #148 on: January 14, 2020, 07:06:07 PM »
I explained the major difference in the post you responded to. I don't know what else to say. If people called you names, or insulted you directly, then her comments would also apply to them. Her comments about people spamming the board with Nega-bombs should only bother those who engage in the behavior. I also support what she said about them.
And I gave you a response. I don't know what else to say. I understand what you are attempting to say. Sounds like a rationalization to me. What she says does not bother me in the least it's hypocritical that's all.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #149 on: January 14, 2020, 08:31:39 PM »
And I gave you a response. I don't know what else to say. I understand what you are attempting to say. Sounds like a rationalization to me. What she says does not bother me in the least it's hypocritical that's all.

::)  Aaaaand another conversation devolving into a dumb argument.
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback