[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Missing Scoopers?  (Read 40282 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Missing Scoopers?
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2020, 08:37:04 AM »
I don't know if y'all have noticed that I haven't visited the basketball threads recently, but here's why: even though I have put many of the more egregious posters on Ignore, it is simply not worth wading through all the vitriol, mean-spiritedness, and outright stupidity to get to anything that I would want to read.

FFS, we soundly beat a top-ten team, and some of you still found reasons to post harshly negative crap during and after the game. Every single thread, even if it starts out as reasonable discourse (like this one), devolves into a name-calling, dick-swinging argument about the same topics over and over again. This isn't a Marquette fan site any more.  It's a Marquette bashing site.  Fans of our opponents who visit this site must laugh their asses off, and I don't blame them.

I don't need to waste my time reading the posts of armchair coaches, failed athletes, and straight up idiots who have nothing constructive or insightful to say. It is possible to criticize without being hateful, but most of the recent posters on Scoop have chosen to forgo that route.  I know several other folks who used to be very active on Scoop who don't even log in anymore, and they were some of the most incisive, entertaining posters.

I am forever grateful to the mods for creating this site, as I have derived a lot of pleasure from participating in it.  But they have allowed it to be taken over by its most despicable posters.   Perhaps they don't mind, or may even agree with those "fans".  But if they want to return Scoop to the days when fans could have reasonable conversations, may I humbly suggest that they put the worst offenders (and we all know who they are) on a very long break and allow the site to mend itself.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 08:42:05 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2020, 08:46:06 AM »
Didn't notice butt would've figured ewe, Pa, Lovell, and Woj were all on a conference call trying ta find street parkin' closer dan 6th and Brown, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GOO

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2020, 08:46:44 AM »
Missing Scoopers:  There is a reason some of us don't bother showing up and posting multiple times on the same topic where two or three posters over and over and over start threads of some sort of Wojo being fired, replaced, etc. 

Not worth our time, especially where the posters don't understand their own illogical "bias confirmation" mindset. The confirmation bias on here by some is off the charts. Acknowledging it is the first step to a more reasoned analysis.  MU82's post is but one example of trying to point this out to a poster.

Not worth the time since it is not going to happen, as the program is doing well.  I understand there are those that only care about winning and that is fine.  But a lot of us are not going to debate the same issues over and over and over.  Hence, why this poster doesn't show up in each of these threads that get started after a loss. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 08:48:45 AM by GOO »

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2020, 09:13:46 AM »
Thank you for voicing this Chick.   

I come here mainly to learn and gain insight from the Hangin’ at the Al boards since I feel most posters have far more to give than I do.  Thus, it goes unnoticed when I leave many discussion topics unread these days.  But I assure you, there are far more people like me who are going unnoticed that simply stopped reading because of all the nastiness that goes on here. 

While we all want the team to win, there are far more important things in life than college basketball and the wins/losses.  It seems people have lost sight of that and let the losses control them too much and don’t appreciate the wins.  It’s probably a metaphor on life… or something like that.  Who knows, maybe many of these “troublesome” posters aren’t like this in other areas of their lives.

I hope the team continues an upward trend, but more so I hope we all find real satisfaction in what makes us happy (as long as it’s not the team bombing just to be right/get your way!  ;) ) and we share that joy with others.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2020, 09:18:52 AM »
I don't know if y'all have noticed that I haven't visited the basketball threads recently, but here's why: even though I have put many of the more egregious posters on Ignore, it is simply not worth wading through all the vitriol, mean-spiritedness, and outright stupidity to get to anything that I would want to read.

FFS, we soundly beat a top-ten team, and some of you still found reasons to post harshly negative crap during and after the game. Every single thread, even if it starts out as reasonable discourse (like this one), devolves into a name-calling, dick-swinging argument about the same topics over and over again. This isn't a Marquette fan site any more.  It's a Marquette bashing site.  Fans of our opponents who visit this site must laugh their asses off, and I don't blame them.

I don't need to waste my time reading the posts of armchair coaches, failed athletes, and straight up idiots who have nothing constructive or insightful to say. It is possible to criticize without being hateful, but most of the recent posters on Scoop have chosen to forgo that route.  I know several other folks who used to be very active on Scoop who don't even log in anymore, and they were some of the most incisive, entertaining posters.

I am forever grateful to the mods for creating this site, as I have derived a lot of pleasure from participating in it.  But they have allowed it to be taken over by its most despicable posters.   Perhaps they don't mind, or may even agree with those "fans".  But if they want to return Scoop to the days when fans could have reasonable conversations, may I humbly suggest that they put the worst offenders (and we all know who they are) on a very long break and allow the site to mend itself.
I read all your posts aloud in a shrill, screeching voice.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2020, 10:31:05 AM »

It's truly a shame that you would think that of an intelligent, articulate woman.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2020, 10:33:39 AM »
Missing Scoopers:  There is a reason some of us don't bother showing up and posting multiple times on the same topic where two or three posters over and over and over start threads of some sort of Wojo being fired, replaced, etc. 

Not worth our time, especially where the posters don't understand their own illogical "bias confirmation" mindset. The confirmation bias on here by some is off the charts. Acknowledging it is the first step to a more reasoned analysis.  MU82's post is but one example of trying to point this out to a poster.

Not worth the time since it is not going to happen, as the program is doing well.  I understand there are those that only care about winning and that is fine.  But a lot of us are not going to debate the same issues over and over and over.  Hence, why this poster doesn't show up in each of these threads that get started after a loss.

The highest volume posters are pro Wojo. The posters who start the most threads are pro Wojo. What I think you're seeing is that more and more people seem to be getting frustrated with Wojo, not that one or two disgruntled fans are taking over the board.

As far as the confirmation  bias, you're 100% right, but it's a two-way street. We all do it, regardless of our views on a particular coach, player, opponent, etc. People always find what they're looking for.

Maybe Scoop should only allow 10 posts per thread or per day. That would definitely cut back on all the redundant conversations, and we might actually see a thread or two stay on topic. Sadly, a few here might lose out on their primary hobby.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2020, 10:37:01 AM »

Completely unnecessary. No need to make sexist comments
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2020, 10:45:39 AM »
It's truly a shame that you would think that of an intelligent, articulate woman.

hmm...I did not see PRN's post before this because I had him on Ignore.

But thank you, PRN, for unequivocally proving my point.   :)
Have some patience, FFS.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2020, 10:57:00 AM »
The highest volume posters are pro Wojo. The posters who start the most threads are pro Wojo. What I think you're seeing is that more and more people seem to be getting frustrated with Wojo, not that one or two disgruntled fans are taking over the board.

As far as the confirmation  bias, you're 100% right, but it's a two-way street. We all do it, regardless of our views on a particular coach, player, opponent, etc. People always find what they're looking for.

Maybe Scoop should only allow 10 posts per thread or per day. That would definitely cut back on all the redundant conversations, and we might actually see a thread or two stay on topic. Sadly, a few here might lose out on their primary hobby.

Theres probably 5 people on here who just need a 90 day ban. Ironically, these are the same 5 people who ruined the superbar.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2020, 11:01:10 AM »
skianth

I agree. Many of the pro Wojo camp love to attack non Wojo supporters. While I take my jabs at folks, it is usually after being jabbed multiple times in advance.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2020, 11:11:33 AM »
hmm...I did not see PRN's post before this because I had him on Ignore.

But thank you, PRN, for unequivocally proving my point.   :)

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2020, 11:43:10 AM »

I used to visit daily, but now come weekly for the most part.  Got into it with a few members last year about the Bulls and Lebron.  The anti Wojo bashing. The constant claims of being a different person.  Not worth the energy.

The other Marquette message board is no different.   Where does one go?  It is the nature of the digital space I am afraid.  Cardinals NFL forum is the same.  Cubs sites are the same.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2020, 12:03:43 PM »
Some of us have retreated to the safety, civility, and sanity of the Underboard.

Chick, you are dead on.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2020, 12:08:01 PM »

reprehensible and sexist

but expected

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2020, 12:18:51 PM »

Uncalled for
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2020, 12:31:52 PM »
Well said, Chick. Very well said.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2020, 12:44:48 PM »
“Mods, please ban those posters whose views I don’t agree with!”

But seriously, this is the worst five year stretch MU ball has had since Scoop started in 2006.  Things were bound to get increasingly negative, especially since that stretch came on the heels of our best run since Al.  No real surprise there.  Things will get more positive when MU has more success.  Until then, there will be those who complain, and those who complain about the complainers.

dinger

• Starter
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2020, 12:48:35 PM »
“Mods, please ban those posters whose views I don’t agree with!”

Maybe instead of banning anyone, we could just limit all individual posters to like 5 or 10 posts a day. I can't think of anything about MUBB so important to say that I need to say it more than 5 times in a day, or something that hasn't already been said in the other 120,000 posts in the last year. Or maybe relax that in just the gameday threads or something. Just a thought?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2020, 12:55:54 PM »
That's it. If you criticize Eojo or the direction the program is heading, ban speed ahead.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2020, 01:03:36 PM »
Until then, there will be those who complain, and those who complain about the complainers.

And those who complain about being complained about.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2020, 01:07:08 PM »
Maybe instead of banning anyone, we could just limit all individual posters to like 5 or 10 posts a day. I can't think of anything about MUBB so important to say that I need to say it more than 5 times in a day, or something that hasn't already been said in the other 120,000 posts in the last year. Or maybe relax that in just the gameday threads or something. Just a thought?

I disapprove, as it conflicts with my plans to introduce a series of Pro-jo and No-jo bots to stir up discord.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2020, 01:21:15 PM »
I like Marquette basketball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2020, 01:40:40 PM »
real 83

You are a member of a lot of secret MU ball clubs. Well deserved, you are one of the good ones!

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2020, 01:54:08 PM »
Warriorchick, while I agree with the good intent of your post, and the part about extremely negative posters, I don't believe in bans or stifling of debate regarding Wojo. If people can start from a point of agreed upon facts, and not exaggerate those facts or cherry pick from them, a civil, appropriate, serious and necessary discussion can occur. This is a Marquette fan site, and the head coach in a pivotal year is a worthy topic for discussion , as are the players. If people would constructively critique Wojo and the team, rather than constantly criticize, they might even find their arguments being received more openly. Many already do this.

There are a few though, or maybe more than a few who go into full trash mode, with caustic and vitriolic attacks directed at Wojo, the players, and any poster who attempts to counter their borderline hate speech.

Name calling and insulting people for their views is where the mods could and IMHO should exercise their ban hammer muscles.

I appreciate your call for the board to be better and I fully support the sentiment.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:26:49 PM by WhoaJoe2020 »

feedback