Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Keep the game simple.....  (Read 1735 times)

duanewade

• Team Captain
Keep the game simple.....
« on: January 16, 2020, 02:15:21 PM »
Having said this Marquette/Wojo going forward need to keep it simple and finally identify their "Big 3" for 2020.  All good teams have a Big 3 who are all relied on to consistently score double figures a game and be the core while the other players fill supporting roles. 

This year when Marquette has three different players scoring 10 points or more they win, and when they don't they lose.  The one exception being the Creighton game where we had more than three people score ten points or more but completely forgot to play defense. 

Right now our game plan is to have Marcus shoot a lot early and see who among six other players on any given night step up and have a productive scoring game.  Those six include Sacar, Koby, Brendan and to a lesser extent on some nights Theo, Jamal or Greg. 

Early in the season seeing who steps up consistently might be good to keep player morale high as roles are still up for grabs but come conference time and especially post season it's no way to consistently win.  Part of the reason why this team is so up and down in their performances is Wojo hasn't identified this year's Big 3.  Part of identifying a Big 3 also includes sitting them all down and holding them accountable for being the reason why we'll win or lose on any given night.  Of course part of this also means that Marcus needs to defer some of his own shooting and make sure he gets touches for the other two members of the Big 3 so we have a more consistent, multi-pronged, and sustainable scoring punch. 

In my opinion Marquette's Big 3 needs to be Marcus/Koby/Brendan.  Sacar is a nice bit player but he's just too limited in his talent to ever be a consistent impact player.  Meanwhile Koby and Brendan have their flaws but at least they have delivered some "wow" performances that show the upside of their talent and can be players who have the talent to go off and deliver big performances against big opponents. 

Finally I'm not as bullish on Symir as others are.  I agree he's smooth and sees passing lanes that others don't see.  However I still can't believe he shoots a set-shot and not a jump-shot.  In order for him to be multi-pronged point guard who can both pass and score he needs to start jumping and releasing his shot at the top of his jump instead of shooting and jumping at the same time like he does now.  Against long defenders he'll never be able to create his own shot until he develops a jump-shot and can't believe his high school coach never pushed him to do this already. 

No reason why we can't beat Georgetown on Saturday.  Remember last year's Georgetown game on the road was when Marcus sat out and 90% of the game and didn't score.  I think this year Marcus goes off in the capitol and we play well again and win by 10 points +/-. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 01:20:36 PM by duanewade »

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
Re: Keep the game simple.....
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 02:30:14 PM »
Having said this Marquette/Wojo going forward need to keep it simple and finally identify their "Big 3" for 2020.  All good teams have a Big 3 who are all relied on to consistently score double figures a game and be the core while the other players fill supporting roles. 

This year when Marquette has three different players scoring 10 points or more they win, and when they don't they lose.  The one exception being the Creighton game where we had more than three people score ten points or more but completely forgot to play defense. 

Right now our game plan is to have Marcus shoot a lot early and see who among six other players on any given night step up and have a productive scoring game.  Those six include Sacar, Koby, Brendan and to a lesser extent on some nights Theo, Jamal or Greg. 

Early in the season seeing who steps up consistently might be good to keep player morale high as roles are still up for grabs but come conference time and especially post season it's no way to consistently win.  Part of the reason why this team is so up and down in their performances is Wojo hasn't identified this year's Big 3.  Part of identifying a Big 3 also includes sitting them all down and holding them accountable for being the reason why we'll win or lose on any given night.  Of course part of this also means that Marcus needs to defer some of his own shooting and make sure he gets touches for the other two members of the Big 3 so we have a more consistent, multi-pronged, and sustainable scoring punch. 

In my opinion Marquette's Big 3 needs to be Marcus/Koby/Brendan.  Sacar is a nice bit player but he's just too limited in his talent to ever be a consistent impact player.  Meanwhile Koby and Brendan have their flaws but at least they have delivered some "wow" performances that show the upside of their talent and can be players who have the talent to go off and deliver big performances against big opponents. 

Finally I'm not as bullish on Symir as others are.  I agree he's smooth and sees passing lanes that others don't see.  However I still can't believe he shoots a set-shot and not a jump-shot.  In order for him to be multi-pronged point guard who can both pass and score he needs to start jumping and releasing his shot at the top of his jump instead of shooting and jumping at the same time like he does now.  Against long defenders he'll never be able to create his own shot until he develops a jump-shot and can't believe his high school coach never pushed him to do this already. 

No reason why we can't be Georgetown on Saturday.  Remember last year's Georgetown game on the road was when Marcus sat out and 90% of the game and didn't score.  I think this year Marcus goes off in the capitol and we play well again and win by 10 points +/-.

I really think we need everybody contributing to be successful, but if I was going to go with a lower number I would say a fantastic four would be better. Sacar needs to be part of the early offense, and is equally if not more capable than some of the others you mentioned. Markus, Sacar, Brendan, and Koby should be the core of the offense and in the listed order IMHO.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 06:39:25 PM »
Is anyone else confused by the first positive post in at least 5yrs by this guy?
Maigh Eo for Sam

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 07:06:16 PM »
Is anyone else confused by the first positive post in at least 5yrs by this guy?
I just provide valid and brilliant truths in my posts.  Sometimes they are biting when they need to be and others times they are just merely very insightful.  Regardless they are always spot on.   

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 07:08:08 PM »

No. I stopped reading him long ago.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

joparks

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 08:19:34 PM »
I am not as bullish as Duane.  I see another typical, lifeless conference road loss on the horizon.  Much the same as we have had since there were 5 minutes left in the 2nd Villanova game last year when they team suddenly got scared of their own shadow and reverted to 2015, 16, and 17 Marquette.  I have to go by trends and the recent trend is that MU plays for dead away from home.  They also are inconsistent so putting two good games together no matter where the venue has been impossible so far (I'm not counting the 5 stiffs they played from 12/4 to 12/28).  Big losses have followed decent wins this year like clockwork so in a way you might say they are consistently in-consistent.  Marquette falls this Saturday at Georgetown and this board becomes the final scene in Animal House.  Wash/Rinse/Repeat.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 09:52:43 PM »
I am not as bullish as Duane.  I see another typical, lifeless conference road loss on the horizon.  Much the same as we have had since there were 5 minutes left in the 2nd Villanova game last year when they team suddenly got scared of their own shadow and reverted to 2015, 16, and 17 Marquette.  I have to go by trends and the recent trend is that MU plays for dead away from home.  They also are inconsistent so putting two good games together no matter where the venue has been impossible so far (I'm not counting the 5 stiffs they played from 12/4 to 12/28).  Big losses have followed decent wins this year like clockwork so in a way you might say they are consistently in-consistent.  Marquette falls this Saturday at Georgetown and this board becomes the final scene in Animal House.  Wash/Rinse/Repeat.

Jayce looked more confident in his knee, Theo was able to ignore his wrist issue and produce, and Kobys thumb didn't seem to bother him at all. If those three are able to continue progressing past their injuries, road wins should be on the horizon. This team can score on any night. If Jayce and Theo provide interior defense and rebounding consistently, some major upsets are even possible.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 08:00:12 AM »
I completely understand this sentiment.  I think tomorrow is an important game for this reason.  It is very important for this team to follow up an excellent performance with another good or better performance.  It is also important to have a good performance and result on the road in conference.  Georgetown is not a pushover in DC, they just beat Creighton there.  But I have a feeling we're going to play well tomorrow.  Hope I'm right.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.