[Today at 12:59:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bracketology 2019-2020  (Read 126683 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Bracketology 2019-2020
« Reply #700 on: April 09, 2020, 04:12:27 PM »
False. 2 years ago was way better. MU was not going to be better than a 5 seed last year. We were going to be a 9-11 seed.

Plus we will not make it this year so the indications are that he is NOT growing as a coach.

Bracket matrix had Marquette as the first #9 seed. The majority of the projections in their composite had MU as an 8 or 9. A couple had MU as a 7. None had MU as an 11.
There was virtually no chance MU would have been below a 9, and definitely not an 11.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #701 on: April 09, 2020, 05:51:15 PM »
Making these big declarations like this in April 2020 is silly, that's all I'm saying.
I see your point and it's great to think the best of our team. There are probably 150 fan boards that are predicting their team will go to the NCAA and they are all great fans that truly believe it.

All I'm saying is we need to be realistic so that the coaches and players don't get hammered should we preform to the expectations of independent observers.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #702 on: April 09, 2020, 05:57:59 PM »
I see your point and it's great to think the best of our team. There are probably 150 fan boards that are predicting their team will go to the NCAA and they are all great fans that truly believe it.

All I'm saying is we need to be realistic so that the coaches and players don't get hammered should we preform to the expectations of independent observers.

I understand where you're coming from and I'm not trying to be Dodds-ish, I'm just saying that there are a ton of variables in place before a ball even gets tipped.  Also, the fact that the "experts" have us in the ballpark, which I think is fair.  We have a lot of question marks, and if they all align perfectly, I could see us with a higher seed than we were projected this year, if they don't, I could see no postseason at all.  Huge target area, and hopefully the floor gets raised in the coming weeks with some new players.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #703 on: April 09, 2020, 05:58:19 PM »
Bracket matrix had Marquette as the first #9 seed. The majority of the projections in their composite had MU as an 8 or 9. A couple had MU as a 7. None had MU as an 11.
There was virtually no chance MU would have been below a 9, and definitely not an 11.
Okay but if MU lost the first game of the BET, which I think most of us think they would, the seed would have been 9 or 10. The selection committee could have surprised us with an 11. Nobody knows but that was not the central point of my post. We were not as good as the previous year. And most likely, next year will not be as good as this year. The trend is not great.   

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #704 on: April 09, 2020, 06:12:03 PM »
I understand where you're coming from and I'm not trying to be Dodds-ish, I'm just saying that there are a ton of variables in place before a ball even gets tipped.  Also, the fact that the "experts" have us in the ballpark, which I think is fair.  We have a lot of question marks, and if they all align perfectly, I could see us with a higher seed than we were projected this year, if they don't, I could see no postseason at all.  Huge target area, and hopefully the floor gets raised in the coming weeks with some new players.

I see your point and you have clear logic. This will play itself out and we'll see if Wojo is the right guy. MU gave themselves an "easy" out after this year so I'm not that worried should it not go well.

I truly hope that Wojo is our coach for the next 10 years because he is doing great but I have major reservations on his ability as of now. Also, I don't like the student's feelings about him. Got to keep the paying customers happy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #705 on: April 09, 2020, 07:09:27 PM »

The coach who was about to take our team to the NCAAs for the 3rd time in 4 years was getting booed at home, and the first-team All-American who has done nothing but represent our university with class had to hear that his family was getting hassled.

So I don't think expectations that a few yahoos set in April are gonna move the needle too much more than that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #706 on: April 09, 2020, 07:21:41 PM »
The coach who was about to take our team to the NCAAs for the 3rd time in 4 years was getting booed at home, and the first-team All-American who has done nothing but represent our university with class had to hear that his family was getting hassled.
So I don't think expectations that a few yahoos set in April are gonna move the needle too much more than that.
And that was from the so called fans.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #707 on: April 09, 2020, 08:43:26 PM »

I don't know if the yahoos are predicting a NCAA birth or a losing record.

I do know that MU gave him a very modest extension that gives them an easy out for a reason. That's not some internet BS rumor. MU might be very smart and will cut him loose or regret not locking him up. We shall see.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #708 on: April 09, 2020, 08:48:23 PM »
I don't know if the yahoos are predicting a NCAA birth or a losing record.

I do know that MU gave him a very modest extension that gives them an easy out for a reason. That's not some internet BS rumor. MU might be very smart and will cut him loose or regret not locking him up. We shall see.

We have don't really know how tough it is for MU to get out of the contract. It's true they gave him a modest extension in years (and maybe salary) but the buyout could be enormous, making it tough for MU to fire him.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #709 on: April 09, 2020, 10:08:25 PM »
We have don't really know how tough it is for MU to get out of the contract. It's true they gave him a modest extension in years (and maybe salary) but the buyout could be enormous, making it tough for MU to fire him.
Wow. You think that little of MU. We shall see.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #710 on: April 09, 2020, 10:32:21 PM »

Nah  I think it's probably a favorable contract, but a huge buyout is a possibility.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #711 on: April 09, 2020, 11:18:36 PM »

There's a new world order when it comes to schools paying buyouts to fire coaches. Danny Manning is still coaching at Wake Forest because of it. His record at Wake makes Wojo look like the second coming of Al McGuire.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #712 on: April 10, 2020, 12:42:52 AM »
It’s not even in the back of the admin’s mind at this point. They’ll take .500 in Big East play and a 9 seed for another decade. Expectations have changed.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #713 on: April 10, 2020, 07:31:27 AM »
Why would MU put a buyout in the contract? Unless it favors MU there is no reason. MU can most definitely pay Wojo for 2 or 3 years of salary to go away. If Wojo gets that close to the end of his contract then the writing is on the wall.

I don't understand why some of you think MU is so nieve.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #714 on: April 10, 2020, 07:43:11 AM »
It’s not even in the back of the admin’s mind at this point. They’ll take .500 in Big East play and a 9 seed for another decade. Expectations have changed.
I think you maybe right about expectations. If that level of performance keeps the revenues at a good level then Wojo is safe.

A separation plan from Wojo is 100% in the admin's mind. As it should be. That is regardless of who the coach is. MU is smarter about this stuff than you think. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #715 on: April 10, 2020, 08:04:54 AM »

I don't think you understand that what might have looked like an affordable buy out when the contract was inked, likely looks decidedly less affordable right now.

Between decreased NCAA pay outs, a University financial position that undoubtedly looks much darker than it did just a few months ago, and questions about enrollment and the viability of having a "normal" season with fans in the stands, I think the last thing Marquette is going to be compelled to do is pay that buy out.  And this isn't really the atmosphere where donors are likely going to step up to pay it either.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #716 on: April 10, 2020, 10:48:52 AM »

I don't think you understand that what might have looked like an affordable buy out when the contract was inked, likely looks decidedly less affordable right now.

Between decreased NCAA pay outs, a University financial position that undoubtedly looks much darker than it did just a few months ago, and questions about enrollment and the viability of having a "normal" season with fans in the stands, I think the last thing Marquette is going to be compelled to do is pay that buy out.  And this isn't really the atmosphere where donors are likely going to step up to pay it either.
Good points. I do truly understand the current situation as I own three small businesses.  I also don't want Wojo gone right now for multiple reasons but MU will get to a point before his contract is up to move on or extend him. We don't want our head coach trying to recruit with only 2 or 3 years on his contract. That will create an ugly situation.

To believe MU has not foreseen this scenario is crazy. MU is ready to move on if needed.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #717 on: April 21, 2020, 08:48:31 AM »
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Lunardi's post Carton transfer bracket has MU in, albeit in Dayton.  Will likely be a bubble year, depends on how "ready" the Freshman are.

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #718 on: April 21, 2020, 12:30:47 PM »
The Badgers as a 2 seed. Yuck.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #719 on: April 22, 2020, 08:21:14 AM »
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Lunardi's post Carton transfer bracket has MU in, albeit in Dayton.  Will likely be a bubble year, depends on how "ready" the Freshman are.

We don't know if Lunardi has DJ figured into the roster.  Technically, he has to sit out a year.  Until he has formally been granted a waiver, he ain't playing next season.  So we might bump up a couple of seed lines when it becomes official.