'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 20, 2024, 10:10:15 PM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 20, 2024, 09:51:57 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Lennys Tap
[June 20, 2024, 08:26:59 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Warriors4ever
[June 20, 2024, 07:45:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 20, 2024, 05:24:06 PM]

More conference realignment talk by brewcity77
[June 20, 2024, 02:56:46 PM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Hards Alumni
[June 20, 2024, 01:29:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: what kind of result this year gets wojo canned?  (Read 30339 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: what kind of result this year gets wojo canned?
« Reply #150 on: January 03, 2020, 06:33:47 PM »
We couldn’t have been that good if we didn’t even get in the tourney and got our asses beat by Penn State in the NIT at home, hey?

Not to burst your bubble, but Penn State finished the year 19th in Ken Pom....ahead of schools like Buzz’s Va Tech, MU, etc.

They beat Ohio State three times, Maryland, etc.  won the NIT.

We also beat Oregon if I recall.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #151 on: January 03, 2020, 07:12:12 PM »
Not to burst your bubble, but Penn State finished the year 19th in Ken Pom....ahead of schools like Buzz’s Va Tech, MU, etc.

They beat Ohio State three times, Maryland, etc.  won the NIT.

We also beat Oregon if I recall.

Crapshoot, hey?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #152 on: January 03, 2020, 07:19:22 PM »
Crapshoot, hey?

Not as much in NIT...get to host games on campus....definite added advantage.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #153 on: January 03, 2020, 07:29:23 PM »
Brew

Of course the numbers will change with more games played this season. My post was simply based off the record that was noted in a post.

As for returning, it has nothing to do with the Creighton game. Was in Asia the week before Xmas, and quite frankly, MU ball has been on vacation since K State game. Not much to talk about when playing a scrimmage.

Thus far, only the truly optimistic could be posting. Not many meaningful games and gaps in between. I would love to be posting about an upcoming big game in early season, but non were on the schedule, aside from UW.

Regardless, 49 cupcakes wasn't close to accurate.

I'm glad you're back and all is well. Agree or disagree, this site is better when you're around.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #154 on: January 03, 2020, 07:43:28 PM »
Should Jay Wright be fired...that was the headline in March of 2011.  I love this headline.  Why, because they lost their last 5 games...

Two Sweet 16s, an Elite 8, and a league title, and a Final Four before that was written. He had a record of accomplishment Wojo can't even dream of.

This comparison has always been apples to anvils and yet I still see it pop up here.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #155 on: January 03, 2020, 07:50:39 PM »
MUfan12

Cheeks knows it is a crazy argument and loves to create action. He is HOF scooper, but slips into the deep end on regular basis. That said, he is a first ballot HOF scooper.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #156 on: January 03, 2020, 07:52:16 PM »
No blame, just expectations not aligned with reality.   Should we also be like Stanford academically or MIT?

For giggles, the number of programs that have made it 9 out of 10 years

6 schools....6 out of 353

Kansas 10 of 10
Duke 10 of 10
Michigan State 10 of 10
Gonzaga 10 of 10
Cincinnati 9 of 10
North Carolina  9 of 10

Carolina may not make it this year. Cincinnati is also in trouble.

Again, I ask how is this a REASONABLE STANDARD?  It simply isn't.  It's fandom not anchored to a bit of reality anywhere.
You are only looking at the making NCAA part of MDDGS. Everything else laid out under the MDDGS, the making sweet 16, Elite 8s, Final 4 and wins  ,MU Made under Crean/Buzz

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #157 on: January 03, 2020, 07:53:29 PM »
As for the seeding and next year, if that's your standard, fair enough.  It just seems like a lot of people in Wojo's corner have quick trigger fingers for someone they think is doing a good job.  If you believe a coach is an NIT appearance away from the unemployment line, then how good of a job is he really doing?

He is doing as good of job as a guy two bad years away from being fired. So as good as most people.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #158 on: January 03, 2020, 08:00:55 PM »
Hi, my names Joe(not really) long time lurker first time poster. I'm 55(yes really).  I've read nearly every post relevant to coaching and recruiting and have to admit I'm somewhat confused. Do some of you think we're a blue blood? Times and college basketball have changed. Milwaukee is not the same city it was in the 70s and Marquette is not the same program. Considering the decline of the city I would say our basketball program has acquitted itself rather well over the years but it isn't a Mecca( no pun intended ) for the most elite players or head coaches.
Which brings us to Wojo.
I do believe he had/has a plan to transplant the Duke culture to Marquette. A tough ask from the jump but I think he has steadily been incorporating the values and principles that have made Duke what it is today. A relatively clean program that preaches defense but allows offensive stars to shine, ( think H.E., Rowsey, Markus, and even Luke Fischer who never quite reached critical mass ) I believe this philosophy has led directly to this promising 2020 recruiting class and will bear more fruit in the future IF Wolo stays. Wojo, like coach K understands it's the players that ultimately win championships and demonstrating a long leash with your star players is great bait to entice other elite players to the program. It seems to be working. Why fix it?

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #159 on: January 03, 2020, 08:12:37 PM »
MUfan12

Cheeks knows it is a crazy argument and loves to create action. He is HOF scooper, but slips into the deep end on regular basis. That said, he is a first ballot HOF scooper.

His basketball card was pulled months ago when he said Jayce Johnson was average.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #160 on: January 03, 2020, 08:14:53 PM »
JD, iz dat ewe, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #161 on: January 03, 2020, 08:16:15 PM »
Hi, my names Joe(not really) long time lurker first time poster. I'm 55(yes really).  I've read nearly every post relevant to coaching and recruiting and have to admit I'm somewhat confused. Do some of you think we're a blue blood? Times and college basketball have changed. Milwaukee is not the same city it was in the 70s and Marquette is not the same program. Considering the decline of the city I would say our basketball program has acquitted itself rather well over the years but it isn't a Mecca( no pun intended ) for the most elite players or head coaches.
Which brings us to Wojo.
I do believe he had/has a plan to transplant the Duke culture to Marquette. A tough ask from the jump but I think he has steadily been incorporating the values and principles that have made Duke what it is today. A relatively clean program that preaches defense but allows offensive stars to shine, ( think H.E., Rowsey, Markus, and even Luke Fischer who never quite reached critical mass ) I believe this philosophy has led directly to this promising 2020 recruiting class and will bear more fruit in the future IF Wolo stays. Wojo, like coach K understands it's the players that ultimately win championships and demonstrating a long leash with your star players is great bait to entice other elite players to the program. It seems to be working. Why fix it?
Seeing as how the coach immediately preceding Wojo had astronomically more success in a similar amount of time, alluding to the notion that people that think Wojo's results aren't enough by saying this isn't the 70s anymore makes no sense at all.

Further, I think you are massively underrating coaching.  We have had studs on this roster with nothing to show for them.  We've been promised that the NEXT recruit is the BIG FISH three or four times by now.  It's not working - we should fix it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #162 on: January 03, 2020, 08:17:34 PM »
Hi, my names Joe(not really) long time lurker first time poster. I'm 55(yes really).  I've read nearly every post relevant to coaching and recruiting and have to admit I'm somewhat confused. Do some of you think we're a blue blood? Times and college basketball have changed. Milwaukee is not the same city it was in the 70s and Marquette is not the same program. Considering the decline of the city...

Milwaukee is a nicer city now than it was during Al’s time.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #163 on: January 03, 2020, 08:18:37 PM »

How’s the crime?

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #164 on: January 03, 2020, 08:20:49 PM »
Great point.  Willing to bet this baby boomer hasn't been downtown in 10 years.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #165 on: January 03, 2020, 08:27:44 PM »
How’s the crime?

Pretty sure it's lower
Maigh Eo for Sam

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #166 on: January 03, 2020, 08:33:28 PM »
Pretty sure it's lower

I’ll spare you from the data.  But that’s a hard no.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #167 on: January 03, 2020, 08:33:38 PM »
Which brings us to Wojo.
What? Decline of Milwaukee? Luke Fischer offensive star? Preaches defense?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #168 on: January 03, 2020, 08:36:37 PM »
Two Sweet 16s, an Elite 8, and a league title, and a Final Four before that was written. He had a record of accomplishment Wojo can't even dream of.

This comparison has always been apples to anvils and yet I still see it pop up here.

The point was people wanting to fire the coach....fans usually don’t know what they are talking about and are on the ledge screaming for ridiculous actions.  The administration didn’t listen...the cries were much louder the next year when they missed...they didn’t listen.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #169 on: January 03, 2020, 08:42:08 PM »
I’ll spare you from the data.  But that’s a hard no.

Could only find data for the whole state going back that far and it was lower. But I'd still bet Milwaukee's got more investment in revitalizing it now than then.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #170 on: January 03, 2020, 08:45:20 PM »
Could only find data for the whole state going back that far and it was lower. But I'd still bet Milwaukee's got more investment in revitalizing it now than then.

That is true. But the population in the metro Milwaukee area is up slightly since the 70’s and violent crime has more than doubled.

• All American
« Reply #171 on: January 03, 2020, 08:45:45 PM »
Like a lot of cities, crime centered in certain neighborhoods. And crime isn’t the only way to judge a city’s livability.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 08:48:34 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #172 on: January 03, 2020, 08:46:36 PM »
The violent crime rate in Milwaukee has declined since the 70s.

No.  It hasn’t.

• All American
« Reply #173 on: January 03, 2020, 08:47:48 PM »
No.  It hasn’t.

I corrected myself. I misread a table that had Wisconsin’s overall.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #174 on: January 03, 2020, 08:50:44 PM »
I corrected myself. I misread a table that had Wisconsin’s overall.

Probs the same table I misread when I said I think it had declined
Maigh Eo for Sam