Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: what kind of result this year gets wojo canned?  (Read 29846 times)

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
what kind of result this year gets wojo canned?
« on: January 02, 2020, 08:17:56 AM »
Has his recruiting class guaranteed him at least another season thus far (i basically believe this)

But if we finish say bottom 3 in the big east ( which i also believe will be true) is this enough to finally move on from this failed hiring?

And by all measures it was a failed hiring.  The homers should now see this, but certainly by the end of big east play they will. 

Shame Markus Howards senior year will be his worst team performance yet.  Might just guarantee he doesn't make an nba roster, that I will blame on Wojo and his inept coaching.   

Buckle up boys and girls its gonnna be a face palm type of conference play this year. 

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: what kind of result this year gets wojo canned?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 08:27:51 AM »
Won't get chit canned, but could leave for perceived greener pastures, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 08:29:58 AM »
Little sisters of the poor would be a good location for him,  less pressure aina?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 08:30:09 AM »

I'm hoping Wake Forest opens up.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 08:34:17 AM »
Has his recruiting class guaranteed him at least another season thus far (i basically believe this)

But if we finish say bottom 3 in the big east ( which i also believe will be true) is this enough to finally move on from this failed hiring?

And by all measures it was a failed hiring.  The homers should now see this, but certainly by the end of big east play they will. 

Shame Markus Howards senior year will be his worst team performance yet.  Might just guarantee he doesn't make an nba roster, that I will blame on Wojo and his inept coaching.   

Buckle up boys and girls its gonnna be a face palm type of conference play this year.

So after a win this Saturday I assume you’ll be MIA as usual?

1SE

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 08:38:04 AM »
Asked and answered by Scoopers. 90% said missing the NCAA would have them do it. I doubt that happens, but you never know.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 08:43:37 AM »
IMO this is the least entertaining / exciting team to watch in many years, which is pretty sad considering we have one of the greatest scorers in college basketball on our roster. 

I know it may come to a surprise but I do not wish for marquette to fail but I certainly hope this university has enough stones to can wojo after we miss the NCAA's this season, anything short of a tourney bid should be grounds for dismissal

nyg

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 08:49:43 AM »
Watch what you wish for, especially after one Big East game and 17 to go. 

Wojo has nothing to do with Markus's NBA prospect or draft position.  Markus tested the waters last year and in all likelihood was told he was not guarenteed to be drafted in first round and hinted he should return.  Not one mock draft has him going in the first round and that is all on his height.  The NBA is not meant to be for 5 feet 10 players. Markus will be a G-League guy or a European League player.

MU loses Markus, Anim, Morrow and Johnson next year, even though the latter two have contributed basically nothing but extra fouls and turnovers.  If Koby keeps up his offensive deficiencies, he too may be benched.  The 2020 recruiting class may save Wojo, but if they do win like 4 to 5 games, then the pressure would be on.  If he leaves for any reason, then without the above mentioned players, along with the fact and probability that one or more of the 2020 recruits Garcia, King and Oso would move on, then it would be a dumpster fire.  Would Torrence, or Dexter move on also after a Wojo departure?  All these factors would come into play and a major rebuild, start over will begin. 

MU has played one, one Big East game, so revisit halfway thru the season. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 08:54:07 AM »
Watch what you wish for, especially after one Big East game and 17 to go. 

Wojo has nothing to do with Markus's NBA prospect or draft position.  Markus tested the waters last year and in all likelihood was told he was not guarenteed to be drafted in first round and hinted he should return.  Not one mock draft has him going in the first round and that is all on his height.  The NBA is not meant to be for 5 feet 10 players. Markus will be a G-League guy or a European League player.

MU loses Markus, Anim, Morrow and Johnson next year, even though the latter two have contributed basically nothing but extra fouls and turnovers.  If Koby keeps up his offensive deficiencies, he too may be benched.  The 2020 recruiting class may save Wojo, but if they do win like 4 to 5 games, then the pressure would be on.  If he leaves for any reason, then without the above mentioned players, along with the fact and probability that one or more of the 2020 recruits Garcia, King and Oso would move on, then it would be a dumpster fire.  Would Torrence, or Dexter move on also after a Wojo departure?  All these factors would come into play and a major rebuild, start over will begin. 

MU has played one, one Big East game, so revisit halfway thru the season. 

I'm fine with a rebuild if I felt we were going in a positive direction or the team punched above its weight now and again.  I feel like this program now is spinning its wheels, regressing in the year it should have been peaking, and have no faith that Wojo can get us over the hump.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 09:01:30 AM »
I believe ZERO chance he gets canned. He may leave for another program, but it will not be due to pressure by MU or the fan base. IMO, there are still enough homers out there that get excited over a possible team that zero pressure is on Wojo to succeed at higher level. This board is made up of fans that care more than most and "next year" or throwing computer numbers is enough to keep most relatively happy.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 09:17:53 AM »

Dat wood bee nice.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 09:18:49 AM »
I'm fine with a rebuild if I felt we were going in a positive direction or the team punched above its weight now and again.  I feel like this program now is spinning its wheels, regressing in the year it should have been peaking, and have no faith that Wojo can get us over the hump.
You have to build something in the first place in order to rebuild. I don’t think Wojo has ever gotten over the hump. 5 plus years not one tournament win isn’t really building anything. 

I am excited for the incoming recruiting class, but woj has had good recruiting classes before and has not done much with them. I am not sure what to think. I want the team to succeed, but I am not really seeing it. The best scenario for me would be to keep all the incoming recruits and have Wojo move on to another job.

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 09:23:33 AM »
If Wojo goes, our best recruiting class since Jerel, Wes and James goes. I’ll take another year.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 09:26:42 AM »
If Wojo goes, our best recruiting class since Jerel, Wes and James goes. I’ll take another year.

Yup, but someone people want to burn it to the ground.  Oh well, it worked great for Tennessee football, Arkansas football, etc, etc, etc
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 09:28:29 AM »
You have to build something in the first place in order to rebuild. I don’t think Wojo has ever gotten over the hump. 5 plus years not one tournament win isn’t really building anything. 

I am excited for the incoming recruiting class, but woj has had good recruiting classes before and has not done much with them. I am not sure what to think. I want the team to succeed, but I am not really seeing it. The best scenario for me would be to keep all the incoming recruits and have Wojo move on to another job.

Spot on.  I don't think it requires many years to rebuild a program, especially when the program is in a big-time league, and has big-time expenditures and facilities.  Outside of the month of January 2019, the program has been pretty much a dud since Wojo got here.  Losing recruits is the only reason to keep him.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 09:30:27 AM »
We have been in a rebuild for quite some time. IMO, the rebuild has not been very impressive.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 09:39:25 AM »
does anyone know the legality of asking recruits "if we fire wojo would you leave the program"  is there some kind of violation in that method?

I think best case scenario for me is we fire wojo (marquette program will appear weaker if we let him make the move vs if we make the move) and we maintain all of our recruiting class but this is wishful thinking,  marquette cant hang on to recruits as it is.   

Almost makes me wish we were back in the juco transfer mentality, hey we got several nba players out of that philosophy!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 09:40:26 AM »
If Wojo can somehow get to the 20 win mark and a tourney invite , he will be among the top available candidates in this years coaching carousel. Hopefully , we can pawn him off on a desperate college president somewhere .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2020, 09:49:35 AM »
Yup, but someone people want to burn it to the ground.  Oh well, it worked great for Tennessee football, Arkansas football, etc, etc, etc

So, what's your projection for Year 7 of this masterpiece rebuild?  Isn't it a guards game?  We lose Markus and Sacar.  You excited about next year?

If Wojo has proven one thing, it is that he's not an alchemist capable of extracting more from a roster, nor has he shown he is a good in-game coach. 

We've had other good recruiting classes under Wojo, yet still no breakthroughs.  At this point, what does the program have to lose by giving Stan Johnson a shot?  He's far more compelling/charismatic than Wojo.  Paul Chryst and Bill Belicheck aside, charisma usually is a helpful attribute in a head coach.

connie

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2020, 09:52:13 AM »
Short of some catastrophe like losing 80+% of their remaining games without a Marcus injury,  I am hard pressed to see any on-court record that results in a new coach.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2020, 09:57:13 AM »
I would not at all be surprised if we lose more than 50 percent of the remaining games.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2020, 10:03:25 AM »
Spot on.  I don't think it requires many years to rebuild a program, especially when the program is in a big-time league, and has big-time expenditures and facilities.  Outside of the month of January 2019, the program has been pretty much a dud since Wojo got here.  Losing recruits is the only reason to keep him.

Coaches at 4 programs in the current KenPom Top 10 have been at their program less than 4 years:

#3 OSU - Year 3
#4 Louisville - Year 2
#7 Butler - Year 3
#9 Dayton - Year 3

Then you have the these programs with coaches at the helm less time than Wojo:

#13 Michigan  (Year 1)
#21 San Diego State  (3rd year coach)
#26 Houston  (Year 6 like Wojo)  They were ranked 18th and 12th to finish each of two prior years.
#27 Xavier (Year 2)
#28 Wisconsin (Year 5)
#29 Memphis (year 1)
#31 Arkansas (year 1)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2020, 10:12:03 AM »
Coaches at 4 programs in the current KenPom Top 10 have been at their program less than 4 years:

#3 OSU - Year 3
#4 Louisville - Year 2
#7 Butler - Year 3
#9 Dayton - Year 3

Then you have the these programs with coaches at the helm less time than Wojo:

#13 Michigan  (Year 1)
#21 San Diego State  (3rd year coach)
#26 Houston  (Year 6 like Wojo)  They were ranked 18th and 12th to finish each of two prior years.
#27 Xavier (Year 2)
#28 Wisconsin (Year 5)
#29 Memphis (year 1)
#31 Arkansas (year 1)

Not saying there's issues with your whole point but X and WI both were long time assistants at their programs. So there's continuity (also you'd be flipping out if we had UW's record right now).

Then there's Memphis which was cheating and Houston who hired someone who's known for cheating.

Again you make a good point that there's better coaches out there getting it done faster but not all your examples are good ones
Maigh Eo for Sam

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2020, 10:30:34 AM »
I really like stan and would rather have him as a coach over wojo (i really think he is the strong recruiter anyways) but not sure if it comes down to firing wojo if we could take a partial reboot,  might have to just blow up the whole thing but those recruits we have on the docket might just force the program to keep stan in the hopes that garcia and co stay. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2020, 10:33:01 AM »
I really like stan and would rather have him as a coach over wojo (i really think he is the strong recruiter anyways) but not sure if it comes down to firing wojo if we could take a partial reboot,  might have to just blow up the whole thing but those recruits we have on the docket might just force the program to keep stan in the hopes that garcia and co stay.

This sounds like the Freddie Kitchens hire logic.