Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: what kind of result this year gets wojo canned?  (Read 29855 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: what kind of result this year gets wojo canned?
« Reply #200 on: January 04, 2020, 07:12:07 AM »
But Goose you know that Milwaukee's transition away from that has been long and hard.  digies is right that the transformation of Milwaukee hasn't lifted up enough people and hasn't touched the segregation that has always been a part of the city, but there has been a transformation.  Whenever I am back there, I am amazed what the city is now versus when I was in school.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #201 on: January 04, 2020, 07:18:45 AM »
Basically what dgies said.  Milwaukee is a fine town nowadays having recovered nicely from the death of de-industrialization.  It took an entire generation.  That said, the economic benefit has not yet fully matriculated to the underclass that continues to suffer to this day for a variety of reasons.  Still, the influx (and retention) of young, upwardly mobile folks has her on the right track assuming competent civic leadership.  I, for one, am thrilled to see it in my lifetime having necessarily left in the early 80s.

As to the coach thing, yeah, apathy is my next (current?) phase without some real progress.  I didn't pay attention to the Bucks when they won 15 games either.  Nor do I know a single guy on the Bulls now. 

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #202 on: January 04, 2020, 07:23:41 AM »
But Goose you know that Milwaukee's transition away from that has been long and hard.  digies is right that the transformation of Milwaukee hasn't lifted up enough people and hasn't touched the segregation that has always been a part of the city, but there has been a transformation.  Whenever I am back there, I am amazed what the city is now versus when I was in school.

Gentrification can be very deceitful. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #203 on: January 04, 2020, 07:42:11 AM »
Fluff

In some ways MKE was a better town in the ‘70’s and some ways better today. I am happy to see that after falling behind most major cities that real progress is being made. It took our leaders far too long to realize the need for change which caused much of the issues still needed to be addressed.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #204 on: January 04, 2020, 07:43:20 AM »
As a lifetime resident of this city, downtown MKE and MKE in general are 100% improved over "the good old days." For those left behind in the resurgence, what have they personally done to improve their place in life?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #205 on: January 04, 2020, 07:50:26 AM »
As a lifetime resident of this city, downtown MKE and MKE in general are 100% improved over "the good old days." For those left behind in the resurgence, what have they personally done to improve their place in life?
Thank you. Spot on. There are obviously issues that need to be addressed. The city is still segregated and crime is way too high.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #206 on: January 04, 2020, 07:55:39 AM »
Ms. Dgies and I are thinking seriously about when we become empty nesters, retiring in Milwaukee -- part of the year. Our goal would be to buy a condo on the Lower East Side facing the Lake.

Thing about it gang. In the summer, Milwaukee is unbeatable. The Lakefront is fantastic; the baseball; the festivals; the bars and restaurants; and, the city is very livable and very affordable. Sorry Goose, having those tanning smells gone and far less yeast smell is a good thing!

Contrast it to its gargantuan neighbor where we now live part-year. While we love Chicago, the cost of living there is astronomical and the uncertainty over future costs ridiculous. If you want to go there, great, its 90 minutes away (at most) on Amtrak, or slightly longer than a commute from the northern Lake County suburbs now. People complain about crime in Milwaukee but Chicago is on a different planet.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #207 on: January 04, 2020, 08:15:54 AM »
Ms. Dgies and I are thinking seriously about when we become empty nesters, retiring in Milwaukee -- part of the year. Our goal would be to buy a condo on the Lower East Side facing the Lake.

Thing about it gang. In the summer, Milwaukee is unbeatable. The Lakefront is fantastic; the baseball; the festivals; the bars and restaurants; and, the city is very livable and very affordable. Sorry Goose, having those tanning smells gone and far less yeast smell is a good thing!

Contrast it to its gargantuan neighbor where we now live part-year. While we love Chicago, the cost of living there is astronomical and the uncertainty over future costs ridiculous. If you want to go there, great, its 90 minutes away (at most) on Amtrak, or slightly longer than a commute from the northern Lake County suburbs now. People complain about crime in Milwaukee but Chicago is on a different planet.

Not to nitpick here dgles because I agree with 90% of what you said but how often do you find yourself frequenting Austin, Englewood, Hermosa etc where the crime is on a "different planet"? Like every city the vast majority is in specific areas and like moving to Milwaukee I'm sure you won't be spending much time on the North side either.

It's also worth noting Milwaukee's crime rate per capita is actually higher than Chicago's.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 08:17:45 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #208 on: January 04, 2020, 08:16:18 AM »

Try living in downtown's of san Fran, LA or Seattle.

connie

• All American
« Reply #209 on: January 04, 2020, 08:35:36 AM »
I don't think Wojo himself would agree with this. I think he is working like a dog every day to fix it. Wojo is not a dumb guy. He knows the results are not good enough. (Yet?)
I agree with this 100%. I don't think Wojo is happy with the results he has obtained.  I think the defensive lapses/failures burn his a$$.  That said, The results are what they are, and they are not good enough.  When fans on a message board essentially agree that there is almost no on court catastrophe that will result in Wojo being gone because the administration has accepted this level of performance, that is not a positive for the future of the program.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #210 on: January 04, 2020, 08:43:02 AM »

You already know that we're 'coming home' (although not in the city) after 35 years in Illinois.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #211 on: January 04, 2020, 10:05:56 AM »
4ever

I agree,  with one exception. The crime issue needs to be resolved to match the great improvements done in the city. I do feel that is a major black eye on the city and the one thing holding us back from bigger improvements in the future.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #212 on: January 04, 2020, 10:54:33 AM »
How are all of you not reported for politics yet?
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #213 on: January 04, 2020, 10:58:38 AM »
I tried to clean this up, but .. just move along, people.

feedback