Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: what kind of result this year gets wojo canned?  (Read 29849 times)

WarriorPride68

• All American
Re: what kind of result this year gets wojo canned?
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2020, 01:31:15 PM »
Lol, "can clearly recruit"

He is one of the worst recruiters MU has had in it's history, going back 50 years.  Substandard, subpar, Wojo won't get you far

difference between recruiting and coaching them up. Wojo has multiple top 25 classes (247) and inked 10 top 100 prospects in his tenure

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2020, 01:33:04 PM »
13-19
20-13
19-13
21-13
24-10

Wojo’s records in his 5 years.  So, if MU finishes better than 24-10 this season, do you let go of a coach who has improved 5 out 6 years?  With a 1 win dip in the other year.  At 10-3 right now, would have to go 14-7 to reach last year.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 01:37:12 PM by 94Warrior »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2020, 01:34:34 PM »
Sultan

He does not have many signature wins under his belt. That is something I believe has been ignored on here. Every time I see the scoreboard watching posts to help our SOS I get pissed off. Play good teams and beat them and no need to be monitoring every Purdue game.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2020, 01:36:15 PM »

He is one of the worst recruiters MU has had in it's history, going back 50 years.  Substandard, subpar, Wojo won't get you far

Um, Mike Deane? The guy’s (probably) best recruit couldn’t make it past midterms at MU and did passed on Wally Szerbiak (sp?) for Polo and Chris Mihm for Greg Clausen.

50 years would mean 8 coaches. We’re Duiket and Majerus better recruits than Wojo?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2020, 01:39:33 PM »
Sultan

He does not have many signature wins under his belt. That is something I believe has been ignored on here. Every time I see the scoreboard watching posts to help our SOS I get pissed off. Play good teams and beat them and no need to be monitoring every Purdue game.

I mean, I was doing that during the two years that Buzz earned us a 3 seed. SOS matters in seeding, whether you are a potential 1 seed or a fringe bubble team. So if you're curious about seeding in the tournament there is always a need to monitor your opponent's performances.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2020, 01:39:52 PM »

I may have missed something but...

Buzz was 16-38 against teams that finished the year in KenPom top 20.  You take out his last year, when he went 0-6, he won a third of those games.

Wojo is 2-24 against those teams.  The wins?  Nova in 2017 and Wisconsin last year.  More disturbing is that his most successful years included very few of those teams.  He went 1-2 in 2016-17 (1-1 v. Nova, 0-1 v. Michigan)  Last year he went 1-1 (1-0 v. UW, 0-1 v. Kansas)

So in his most successful seasons, he played schedules without elite teams.

Yikes, I didn't know it was that bad.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2020, 01:40:16 PM »

Keep going....you are reeling people in with these sane comments.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2020, 01:41:51 PM »
TAMU

I get why people do it, especially with a program like we currently have. Elite programs do not scoreboard watch. On here, we have guys that live and die by this. IMO, beat good teams and seeding takes care of itself.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2020, 01:42:10 PM »

Buzz was 16-38 against teams that finished the year in KenPom top 20.  You take out his last year, when he went 0-6, he won a third of those games.

Wojo is 2-24 against those teams.  The wins?  Nova in 2017 and Wisconsin last year.  More disturbing is that his most successful years included very few of those teams.  He went 1-2 in 2016-17 (1-1 v. Nova, 0-1 v. Michigan)  Last year he went 1-1 (1-0 v. UW, 0-1 v. Kansas)

Of those 24 losses, I wonder how many were blowouts. Although, Buzz had his fair share of games where we got the doors blown off.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2020, 01:44:13 PM »
Because they are taking the right approach. Large investment in the program, hiring a young coach with potential who wants to be at Marquette, and allowing him to work through growing pains. I always think about Rick Majerus. He was a disaster as MU's head coach but became a first ballot hall of famer after he left. I always wonder if he had been allowed to work through his growing pains and stuck around here, would he have become our Jim Boeheim or Jim Calhoun? A coach that stayed for decades and won big year after year? Certainly possible that he needed that time away to become the hall of famer that he did but I still wonder.

Churning through coaches every couple of years because they don't immediately win big isn't a winning strategy. Every time you hire a coach it is a risk, no matter what outside people say about them. Every one and their mother wanted Shaka to be our coach. Every expert, every search firm, every average joe would have labeled that a home run hire for us. Based on his record at Texas....maybe he would have done better here but his results have been pretty comparable to Wojo's despite a better starting point down in Austin. No one would have thought Chris Beard was a great hire at the time but he just played in a national championship game at a program with no history.

That doesn't mean that Wojo has a job forever. He's allowed to work through growing pains but he's got to show improvement. Personally, I've seen improvement from Wojo as a coach every year, with the jury still being out on this year. When he took over, I expected a two year rebuild before making it back to the tournament. Since then, we've had a 10 seed, NIT, and 5 seed. A good not great run of three years. Right now we're projected to be an 8 seed (personally think they will finish better than that). It that's the reality, 10, NIT, 5, 8 is still a good 4 year run, not great. Wojo will need to rebuild next year and is off to a great start with Dawson, Oso, and Justin. I expect his next 4 year run to be great instead of good.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2020, 01:44:54 PM »
Another point to consider, we played a ton less games against KenPom top 20 teams. Those that thing our conference is big time should take note of that. Aside from top 2-3 teams the league is made up of a bunch of bubble teams every year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2020, 01:46:59 PM »
TAMU

I get why people do it, especially with a program like we currently have. Elite programs do not scoreboard watch. On here, we have guys that live and die by this. IMO, beat good teams and seeding takes care of itself.

Yeah....I've been on blue bloods boards. They absolutely have fans who do it. So I guess we are doing what the elite programs do.
TAMU

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2020, 01:48:31 PM »
Because they are taking the right approach. Large investment in the program, hiring a young coach with potential who wants to be at Marquette, and allowing him to work through growing pains. I always think about Rick Majerus. He was a disaster as MU's head coach but became a first ballot hall of famer after he left. I always wonder if he had been allowed to work through his growing pains and stuck around here, would he have become our Jim Boeheim or Jim Calhoun? A coach that stayed for decades and won big year after year? Certainly possible that he needed that time away to become the hall of famer that he did but I still wonder.

I think Marquette needed Majerus to leave.  They needed a disaster like Dukiet to realize how far they had fallen and the work they needed to do to return.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2020, 01:49:03 PM »
TAMU

With all due respect, your post sounds like you have your fingers crossed that Wojo gets it done. We are 5+ years into this experiment and it is not a big success on the court. Do appreciate you saying the next four years over "next year". That hedges things a bit for you. Would hate to burn the "next year" card going into next season.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2020, 01:51:29 PM »
TAMU

Give me Nova or the Zags program and I will figure out our seed pretty easily every year. No need to see how DePaul does at Eastern Montana on November 16th to figure things out.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2020, 02:12:23 PM »

I think Marquette needed Majerus to leave.  They needed a disaster like Dukiet to realize how far they had fallen and the work they needed to do to return.

Reading Majerus' book will tell folks how bad things were.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2020, 02:12:43 PM »
TAMU

With all due respect, your post sounds like you have your fingers crossed that Wojo gets it done.

With all due respect, your post sounds like you have your fingers crossed that the next coach we have is an instant winner. And if that one doesn't work out, just fire him and fingers crossed the next guy is the big winner.

We are 5+ years into this experiment and it is not a big success on the court.

We haven't seen big success. Like I said, we've seen good, not great success. In my experience, guys who turn in good results after their first few years often grow into guys who turn in great results the next few years after that. I seem to recall you being a business man, do you make a practice of firing guys who have been solid in the first few years? Personally, I like to invest in those guys' growth and am usually very happy with the results.

Do appreciate you saying the next four years over "next year". That hedges things a bit for you. Would hate to burn the "next year" card going into next season.

It doesn't hedge anything really. Anyone expecting us to be better next season than we are this season is smoking something strong. I fully expect us to take a step back after graduating 4 seniors including an all american. College basketball programs are built in cycles. You have a down year followed by 2-3 up years. Each cycle should improve on the last. Wojo's first was no posteason, no postseason, 10 seed. His second so far is NIT, 5 seed, and TBD. If this year ends poorly, and next season misses the tournament, that is the ideal time to consider a chance in coaches. Personally, I haven't given up on this season given that we are barely a third through it.

TAMU

Give me Nova or the Zags program and I will figure out our seed pretty easily every year. No need to see how DePaul does at Eastern Montana on November 16th to figure things out.

But there is a need...seeding is determined by formulas such as the NET...which uses data from all games even ones like DePaul against Montana State
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 02:15:04 PM by TAMU Garcia »
TAMU

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2020, 03:01:24 PM »

Wojo is 2-24 against top 20 Kenpom teams. The wins?  Nova in 2017 and Wisconsin last year.  More disturbing is that his most successful years included very few of those teams.  He went 1-2 in 2016-17 (1-1 v. Nova, 0-1 v. Michigan)  Last year he went 1-1 (1-0 v. UW, 0-1 v. Kansas)

just checked for tomorrow, Nova #22 Kenpom. Victory confirmed

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2020, 03:06:52 PM »

Kansas St. finished 20 last year. I don't think you missed any others.

Purdue is currently in the top 20 as well but lots of season left.

We do seem to have a lot of success against teams 20-40.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 03:10:14 PM by BM1090 »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2020, 03:45:50 PM »
13-19
20-13
19-13
21-13
24-10

Wojo’s records in his 5 years.  So, if MU finishes better than 24-10 this season, do you let go of a coach who has improved 5 out 6 years?  With a 1 win dip in the other year.  At 10-3 right now, would have to go 14-7 to reach last year.
Your math is deficient. Going from 20-13 to 19-13 is not an improvement. So quit making up a false statistic.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2020, 03:47:26 PM »
TAMU

Interesting you say that.....because both of those fanbases wanted their head coach fired for not winning enough in March.  Too many first round losses or not getting into the second weekend.  The administrations stuck with them.   Nova went to a Final Four and then 2nd round loss, 1st round loss, no tournament at all, first round loss and Nova fans had the pitchforks out.  Probably why Jay Wright said it's a crapshoot.

Mark Few, before their last Elite Eight went 7 of 8 years not getting to the second weekend and some of their fan were irate....probably why he said it's a crapshoot.   ;D

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2020, 03:51:27 PM »
Interesting you say that.....because both of those fanbases wanted their head coach fired for not winning enough in March.  Too many first round losses or not getting into the second weekend.  The administrations stuck with them.   Nova went to a Final Four and then 2nd round loss, 1st round loss, no tournament at all, first round loss and Nova fans had the pitchforks out.  Probably why Jay Wright said it's a crapshoot.

Mark Few, before their last Elite Eight went 7 of 8 years not getting to the second weekend and some of their fan were irate....probably why he said it's a crapshoot.   ;D

so I count 1 missed year 4/5 years as a very competitive team. Weve had 2/6?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2020, 03:53:12 PM »
Cheeks

Come on. Do you really think if Wojo is given the time he is going to make a year in and year out top ten program? Please do not insult anyone on here by saying you believe that. You note the bar you believe our program has and reaching their level is not in the cards.

You know I am a Cheeks fan, but sometimes you really are over the top in an attempt to make a point. Wojo is not going to become Few or Wright and even the biggest Wojo backer would think that is a stretch.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2020, 03:55:05 PM »
Your math is deficient. Going from 20-13 to 19-13 is not an improvement. So quit making up a false statistic.

The year we went 20-13 we played the 75th toughest schedule.
The next year we went 19-13 with the 37th toughest schedule.

Your math is too simplistic to understand there is more depth to the analysis.  This is why in year 3 we went to the NCAA tournament, and year two we did not.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2020, 03:57:24 PM »
Had Wojo had the success we wanted his first five years, he would have already been gone.

feedback