[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Pivot (al) Moments  (Read 30676 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Pivot (al) Moments
« Reply #125 on: November 17, 2019, 05:23:17 PM »
After he left for Tennessee, I had a chance meeting with him in an airport (Ohare during the summer a couple years after he was gone).  We starting talking and the conversation turned to that game.  He reminded me that they used that defense.

I talked to him last week. He said he lied to you.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #126 on: November 17, 2019, 05:23:41 PM »
After he left for Tennessee, I had a chance meeting with him in an airport (Ohare during the summer a couple years after he was gone).  We starting talking and the conversation turned to that game.  He reminded me that they used that defense.

Interesting.  It’s not mentioned in any game recaps I could find online.  He did mention Lute Olson telling them to run Tony Miller at the bigs pressing them in that game
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #127 on: November 17, 2019, 05:25:20 PM »
Can't evaluate Wojo or any coach on one game or one year.

I think if Wojo gets ten years at MU he has 4-5 NCAA's and one tourney win.

Some here will be good with that, some won't be. He seems to be just satisfying the admin's expectation. I don't know if he'll ever get a serious long term extension. I don't see him ever getting an offer for another P6 job so this maybe the new norm. Just good enough.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #128 on: November 17, 2019, 05:29:12 PM »
About right - the Marquette GE’s.  Good Enough for Wojo to keep his job. 

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #129 on: November 17, 2019, 05:29:19 PM »
Interesting.  It’s not mentioned in any game recaps I could find online.  He did mention Lute Olson telling them to run Tony Miller at the bigs pressing them in that game

I met O'Neill after he joined MU and was coaching the team but before he had ever coached a game.  We kept in touch for a little while, so I wasn't a total stranger when I saw him at O'Hare a number of years later.

I suppose he could have lied too me for no apparent reason as pointed out by a certain sphincter opening on this board but I doubt it.  If anything, he was too straight a shooter, not a liar.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #130 on: November 17, 2019, 05:30:03 PM »
Elliott needs to start and play a lot.   Maybe they are being cautious with the ankle early and I’m ok with that but think by mid December he should get all the minutes he can handle.  Just makes too many high IQ basketball plays and has enough offense to help as a third or fourth scorer.

Yeah I really like Elliott

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #131 on: November 17, 2019, 05:30:18 PM »
Can't evaluate Wojo or any coach on one game or one year.

I think if Wojo gets ten years at MU he has 4-5 NCAA's and one tourney win.

Some here will be good with that, some won't be. He seems to be just satisfying the admin's expectation. I don't know if he'll ever get a serious long term extension. I don't see him ever getting an offer for another P6 job so this maybe the new norm. Just good enough.

He’s Crean without Wade. Occasionally very good. Often infuriating. Decent recruiter but not usually greater than the sum of its parts.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #132 on: November 17, 2019, 05:31:07 PM »
Yeah I really like Elliott

Holy crap!  We agree on something!!!  There is hope in this world, after all...  :)

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #133 on: November 17, 2019, 05:38:24 PM »
He’s Crean without Wade. Occasionally very good. Often infuriating. Decent recruiter but not usually greater than the sum of its parts.
I agree with this analysis.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Pops Sims

• Walk-On
« Reply #134 on: November 17, 2019, 05:48:23 PM »
The fan base has been used to mediocre for a while now.

I am hoping this game is an aberration, but i am afraid this is what we have this year. Pretty much embarrassed today by an average at best Wisconsin team.

UW is hardly an "average at best team". They have the ability to compete for an upper conference finish in the B1G should they stay healthy   If you consider them that, what does that say about your team? As I UW fan, I am hopeful they will improve throughout the season and build on this game. You should hope your team does the same.

Unfortunately for you, you've put your hopes in a head coach who has (so far) shown he can recruit, and little else. If coaching is defined as getting the most out of your team, your guy has fallen well short. We'll see how your team responds from this loss...good luck the rest of the way in BE play.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #135 on: November 17, 2019, 05:58:03 PM »
UW is hardly an "average at best team". They have the ability to compete for an upper conference finish in the B1G should they stay healthy   If you consider them that, what does that say about your team?
I believe that was his point. What does it say about MU at this point?

From what I saw, Wisconsin is an average P6 team.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #136 on: November 17, 2019, 06:00:23 PM »
UW is hardly an "average at best team". They have the ability to compete for an upper conference finish in the B1G should they stay healthy   If you consider them that, what does that say about your team? As I UW fan, I am hopeful they will improve throughout the season and build on this game. You should hope your team does the same.

Unfortunately for you, you've put your hopes in a head coach who has (so far) shown he can recruit, and little else. If coaching is defined as getting the most out of your team, your guy has fallen well short. We'll see how your team responds from this loss...good luck the rest of the way in BE play.

Greg Gard has accomplished a lot with his own players.  ::)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #137 on: November 17, 2019, 06:05:13 PM »
Hate to say it. But we really missed the Hausers today.
Until we lose more than 10 games, I will not missed the Hausers.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #138 on: November 17, 2019, 06:16:55 PM »

we will see. dont get your hopes up.

i agree wojo falls short, thats the point. Hopefully this was a bad game and MU improves. Also, dont tell me what i "should" do, go spew your nonesense on Buckeyville and worry about finishing .500 this year.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #139 on: November 17, 2019, 06:29:57 PM »

3. This team is a poor rebounding team and it comes from our bigs. The three centers had 4 rebounds in 39 minutes. That’s not acceptable. Say what you want, but Sam covered a lot of warts on the boards last year. Gotta be better there if we’re gonna realize this teams potential.

[/quote]

Theo John had 9 and 8 rebounds in the first two games.  Didn’t rebound well today, but also spent some time on the perimeter on D.  He is fine.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #140 on: November 17, 2019, 07:08:44 PM »
Looks like we switched our normal Gavitt Games performance with our normal Badger game performance this season. Sucks but it happens. Win our first two in Orlando and I'm feeling just fine about our chances this season.

Let's win all our Orlando games. That should be the mentality. All three are winnable.

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
« Reply #141 on: November 17, 2019, 07:45:31 PM »
I'll give UW and Gard a little credit, I was somewhat surprised by them today.  I figured our guards would own their's, and Morrow and Theo would dominate the glass.

Their Defense was very good and our bigs did nothing.  They don't have any great players but there are some decent pieces.  Will probably finish top 5 or 6 in the Big 14 and be a tourney team.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #142 on: November 17, 2019, 07:47:12 PM »
Every game we lose we will all say “we missed the hausers”

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #143 on: November 17, 2019, 08:21:59 PM »
Hey, it can get worse. ESPN tweeting Sacar's broken ankle defense as "early favorite for crossover of the year". Awesome

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #144 on: November 17, 2019, 08:28:58 PM »

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #145 on: November 17, 2019, 08:29:35 PM »
Never said it was.

Your point was a good coach can beat a team with a single dominant player.

Wojo did just that.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #146 on: November 17, 2019, 08:47:49 PM »
I've always considered myself a Wojo supporter. The reason is because I believed that the program was improving. Sadly, it isn't. MH can only do so much. The rest of the roster is not good. That's his #1 job.  They'll win some games this year, but the departure of the Hausers will haunt Wojo more than anyone thought, and may even cost him his job in the end.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

warriors141

• All American
« Reply #147 on: November 17, 2019, 09:10:46 PM »
starting to find out how it feels to be a Cleveland Browns fan

Class71

• All American
« Reply #148 on: November 17, 2019, 09:37:33 PM »
So much for holding off on judging the team for more games

I think we should hold off for another 6 years. Once Wojo gets his legs under him watch out.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #149 on: November 17, 2019, 09:39:27 PM »
starting to find out how it feels to be a Cleveland Browns fan

Better example is the Angels- They spend as much money on the team as anyone, have one great player, and are mediocre year after year. They haven't won a post season game in a long long time either.

feedback