[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by avid1010
[Today at 09:16:40 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Pivot (al) Moments  (Read 30700 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Pivot (al) Moments
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2019, 02:23:16 PM »
When Markus has a bad day, we lose.  And I'm talking more decision making, not missed shots.  Add turnovers and lousy defensive rebounding and the problem compounds.  Regroup.  Kudos to Cain and Koby.  Props where props are due.

Thank God we played an excellent second half against Purdue otherwise the world would be on fire.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2019, 02:24:02 PM »
Every game we lose we will all say “we missed the hausers”

I know that’s how I feel. Wojo was building for this season. We were finally going to have all the right pieces in place and would actually see what kind of coach wojo was/is.

Then $hit hit the fan in feb/March and now we still look like a program at the beginning of a rebuild.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2019, 02:24:14 PM »
BM1090

Zero judgement on the season, simply an observation of talent level. Quite possibly a high level coach and system could make something out of the squad. Let’s see if Wojo can coach the team up.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2019, 02:26:53 PM »
An awful slow start by BB this year. I know he progressed during the season last year, and the same may happen this year, but for now, the Detroit boys need more run.
We've gone through years being undersized. Now we have a taller team than in recent memory and yet, the offense doesn't run through them at all and they allow too many offensive rebounds.
Is this personnel or system? Wisconsin blocked out way better than we did.  Obviously with a talent like Markus you think outside for offense, but I think we need more from inside.
How does Wisky use ball movement to get guys wide open and we don't seem to be able to do the same? The season is young, there is work to be done. Davidson is no gimmee. Let's learn from this debacle and get ready for the BE.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2019, 02:27:22 PM »
Wojo seems too concerned with “getting old and staying old.” A lot of our veterans today were complete non-factors. Would rather be going after the young talent who can contribute from day one. Too many projects on this roster.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2019, 02:28:52 PM »
An awful slow start by BB this year. I know he progressed during the season last year, and the same may happen this year, but for now, the Detroit boys need more run.
We've gone through years being undersized. Now we have a taller team than in recent memory and yet, the offense doesn't run through them at all and they allow too many offensive rebounds.
Is this personnel or system? Wisconsin blocked out way better than we did.  Obviously with a talent like Markus you think outside for offense, but I think we need more from inside.
How does Wisky use ball movement to get guys wide open and we don't seem to be able to do the same? The season is young, there is work to be done. Davidson is no gimmee. Let's learn from this debacle and get ready for the BE.
3 combined shots from our 3 bigs is a huge problem and it falls on Wojo
No Finish Line

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2019, 02:29:14 PM »
Looks like we switched our normal Gavitt Games performance with our normal Badger game performance this season. Sucks but it happens. Win our first two in Orlando and I'm feeling just fine about our chances this season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2019, 02:29:21 PM »

Thank God we played an excellent second half against Purdue otherwise the world would be on fire.
[/quote}

Isn't that the truth.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2019, 02:31:09 PM »
OK, they had a bad game. A bad game that no one, including them, wanted to have.

It's early but some of the trends we saw last year cropped up. Hero ball in the second half was the worst.

This is a game we HAVE to win as the season goes on. They are our equal and we either beat them and show we are better or we lose and convince the world we are mediocre.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2019, 02:31:21 PM »
So much for holding off on judging the team for more games

Lol.  Right.  When we have success, "too early to make judgements.  I'll hold off."  The very next game when there's adversity, "We have 1 high major player."

Anyone who doesn't consider Koby McEwen to be a high major player doesn't know much about high major basketball.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2019, 02:33:26 PM »
Wades

Koby is a nice player, but not high level player. He is not running the point for any top 25 program. High level is guys that can play significant minutes at an elite program. This team has one guy that would play on any team in the country.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2019, 02:34:19 PM »
The talent on this team is not what I see as the problem. In some ways I like the makeup of this team more than last years team.
No Finish Line

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2019, 02:34:41 PM »
Elliott needs to start and play a lot.   Maybe they are being cautious with the ankle early and I’m ok with that but think by mid December he should get all the minutes he can handle.  Just makes too many high IQ basketball plays and has enough offense to help as a third or fourth scorer.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2019, 02:35:27 PM »

Well out of the 4 halves against quality completion, the 2nd half been way more about Purdue being bad than Marquette being good. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2019, 02:35:37 PM »
Lol.  Right.  When we have success, "too early to make judgements.  I'll hold off."  The very next game when there's adversity, "We have 1 high major player."

Anyone who doesn't consider Koby McEwen to be a high major player doesn't know much about high major basketball.

100% right and agreeing with Wades makes me feel icky.

Koby is really good.

Sacar is a bum now? 

It sucks to play poorly against a rival. It’s also the 3rd game of the year on the road in a tough environment.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2019, 02:36:01 PM »
Oh and the black Unis looked good.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2019, 02:37:23 PM »
Playing a team with Wisconsin's style is such a good early season experience - sometimes it just sucks that its so loaded in terms of rivalry/importance to the fans. If it were against Iowa or something every year, it would be easier to stomach.

On the one hand, there's a lot of new with this team, and its not realistic that it'll all be figured out by now.  The Hausers will come up a lot, but Wojo is replacing 63 mpg and 17 fga per game.  Against a team that plays like Wisconsin in the third game of the year, it always had the chance to be ugly. I hate it, but any coach could have trouble with that.

What has me starting to trend more pessimistic is that a lot of the same bad habits from the end of last year seem to be holding over. MH was always going to (and should) have extremely high usage. But it cant just be off the dribble. This team is athletic enough with shotmaking and penetrating ability at the 2-4 to get him better, more creative looks. You can be the NPOY of still be part of a structured offense.  For example - these first couple games, Koby seems to have largely cannibalized Sacar's usage on offense. I know Sacar has struggled, but I think its because of the difficulty getting him to co-exist with Koby's skill set. Why? With those three in the game, that offense should be flying around, not stagnating.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2019, 02:40:41 PM »
Interesting stats from the box:

Wisconsin 6 players in double figures.
Theo one rebound.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2019, 02:45:54 PM »
Wades

Koby is a nice player, but not high level player. He is not running the point for any top 25 program. High level is guys that can play significant minutes at an elite program. This team has one guy that would play on any team in the country.

If all goes right he’ll be running the point later this year for our top 25 program.  Don’t give up yet Goose.  We’ve lost to Wisconsin before and done some damage later. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2019, 02:46:48 PM »
Every game we lose we will all say “we missed the hausers”
If that is the case, that mantra will be stated a lot.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2019, 02:48:09 PM »
Theo : 2 points
Morrow: 2 points
Jayce: 0 points.

Won't win many games with those numbers.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2019, 02:48:27 PM »
Seems like Jayce will be playing a lot based on his defense

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2019, 02:48:35 PM »
If that is the case, that mantra will be stated a lot.

Big day for you.  Congrats!
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2019, 02:48:46 PM »
Defensive gameplan was clearly to make them shooters and force them to beat us outside the rim. They did that and did it well, held them under 40% inside the arc....but the Badgers found their shot this game and made us pay. That was the difference in the game.

The lack of shooting inside the arc continues to worry me. Adding Koby, getting Greg back, and development from guys like Cain, Sacar, and Bailey was supposed to mean more slashing to compliment Markus' shooting. Hasn't been close to happening so far. Definitely my biggest concern three games into the season.

Three shots for the bigs is not enough. I don't know what they need to do but the coaches got to get the guards to look for the bigs in the offense.

I usually preach patience, but damn, that blown layup by Bailey might have been enough for me to give up hope. I keep hearing that he's tearing it up in practice but wow. Kid needs a lid lifter really badly.

On the other end of the spectrum, Cain took much more of a step forward than I ever expected. If trends continue he could take Bailey's starting spot.

I think Greg will only get better as he gets healthier. Have seen some good things from him early

Think this will be one of the worse games we play all season and one of the best the Badgers get. Reuvers was kept in check most of the game and all 6 of the other players had good shooting games at the same time. Don't think that will happen for them most of the time.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2019, 02:50:01 PM »
1.   Dragging your feet will always be a travel.    All 7 times in the first half.   
2.  Poor defensive rebounding.
3.   Poor shooting.
4.   Letting the glue guy tie you into Pritzl's on the floor.   He was tougher than our guards today. 
5.   It looked like Markus was playing to not be accused of being selfish.    He also drove like he wanted the contact call.   It is in Madison.   That call isn't coming that often.   Kept waiting for video game mode.   Didn't happen.   
6.   Sacar, Ed, Brendan.    The team needs more.   I will call it a bad day, because I don't believe in throwing anybody under the bus in November.    But it wasn't good today. 
7.   GE is only going to get better.   I am starting to believe he actually would have started last year.    It sure seems like his return has helped Jamal regain some confidence.
8.   If Theo can't guard Ruevers in space, I don't know how he is going to be part of the two big line up.    Ed, Jayce, or Theo are going to have to be able to guard in space. 
9.  Koby is the second option.    Need a third.   
10. First road game of the year.    Sucks losing to Wisconsin.   
11.   Walking away from scoop now for the rest of the day.     Maybe some Hallmark Christmas movies.    Or maybe a nice working structure f
13. Piss poor coaching.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

feedback