[Today at 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pivot (al) Moments  (Read 30958 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Pivot (al) Moments
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2019, 04:07:04 PM »
We lost on the road to a team that has the 8th best home court record since 2000.  Yup, it sucked.

Wojo now 3-3 against UW-Madison

Crean, Buzz, KO all had losing records against Uw - Madison

It’s way way way too early for the pants pissing going on right now.  On to the next game and improvement.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2019, 04:07:59 PM »
What I can’t understand for the life of me is how people on this board refuse to acknowledge where this program has gone under Wojo.  We have massively underachieved and it should be noted and it’s ok to talk about.   It’s simply not ok for this to be the situation in year 6.  Markus is a fine young man and represents the university well.  He has a chance to surpass Troy Bell as the BE all time leading scorer.  However, there is a very real chance that he leaves MU with zero tourney wins.  That just isn’t ok.  And it shouldn’t be ok to anyone else on this board.

What did you think of Jayce Johnson today and Utah earlier this week?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2019, 04:11:40 PM »
What did you think of Jayce Johnson today and Utah earlier this week?

Utah looked ok.  Caught the second half of that game. Nice win over Minnesota.  Not much to say on Jayce.  Coming off an injury, but he will not be a force on the offensive end.   Just not who he is

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2019, 04:13:10 PM »
Also, we gave UW way too many second opportunities. Too many times we mishandled rebounds that went out of bounds or back to UW. I don’t think it was a lack of effort, so tough to get too frustrated. However, we would get a couple of stops that turned into points for them.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2019, 04:15:54 PM »
What I can’t understand for the life of me is how people on this board refuse to acknowledge where this program has gone under Wojo.  We have massively underachieved and it should be noted and it’s ok to talk about.   It’s simply not ok for this to be the situation in year 6.  Markus is a fine young man and represents the university well.  He has a chance to surpass Troy Bell as the BE all time leading scorer.  However, there is a very real chance that he leaves MU with zero tourney wins.  That just isn’t ok.  And it shouldn’t be ok to anyone else on this board.
From my reading of this board, no one is happy with Wojo's results on the court (perhaps that's damning in and of of itself). There are many who believe Wojo has the ability to become a better coach and it is worth seeing it through.
Oh, and there are couple of goofballs that think MU could never get a better coach than Wojo so MU fans should just suck it up.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2019, 04:16:07 PM »

i think its a midwest thing. Don't want to say anything else because i might be accused of being critical and therefore not a real fan.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2019, 04:18:18 PM »

Why have we underachieved? We've basically been exactly what Kenpom has predicted us to he the past three years. We certainly haven't overrachieved but I think the talent on this roster the past few years has matched the result.

Win 1 of the 2 tournament games we've played under Wojo and I'd argue we've done just fine. Unfortunately the march success hasn't been there.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2019, 04:19:56 PM »

Utah looked ok.  Caught the second half of that game. Nice win over Minnesota.  Not much to say on Jayce.  Coming off an injury, but he will not be a force on the offensive end.   Just not who he is

He wasn’t brought here to be an offensive force. 

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2019, 04:20:32 PM »
Why have we underachieved? We've basically been exactly what Kenpom has predicted us to he the past three years. We certainly haven't overrachieved but I think the talent on this roster the past few years has matched the result.

Win 1 of the 2 tournament games we've played under Wojo and I'd argue we've done just fine. Unfortunately the march success hasn't been there.

I don’t accept zero tourney wins in almost 6 years.  That to me is underachieving.  Maybe you see it differently. 

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2019, 04:21:03 PM »
I’m belaboring other points here, but without Sam Hauser on the team, everyone offensively outside Howard has to slide up a spot as an option. Adding McEwen obviously helps, but the looks Anim got last year were in part to other teams accounting for Howard and both Hauser’s on the outside. It’s hard to replace Sam Hauser’s shooting, and the Hope was collectively between Anim, Bailey, Elliott, Cain you’d get decent progression to make up some of that difference. Quite frankly if those 4 guys don’t produce, MU is toast this year. This isn’t trying to be another “I miss the Hauser’s” post, but the reality is their offensive usage needs to be made up somehow, and today it wasn’t happening.

MU needs to get the ball into the paint to the bigs.  Sometimes they're wide open but no one makes the pass.  That would do wonders to free up the outside shooting.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2019, 04:21:28 PM »

I don't follow this logic. Marquette has performed well in the past 5 years?

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2019, 04:23:11 PM »

i think its a midwest thing. Don't want to say anything else because i might be accused of being critical and therefore not a real fan.

Go ahead. I've lived through the experience.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2019, 04:25:31 PM »
MU needs to get the ball into the paint to the bigs.  Sometimes they're wide open but no one makes the pass.  That would do wonders to free up the outside shooting.

They do need to get them more involved, but these bigs aren’t really great offensive forces.  So unless they command help, it doesn’t matter. And zero chance I help on our bigs if I’m coaching against MU.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 04:27:06 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2019, 04:25:42 PM »
6-21, with 2 assists and 4 turnovers... OOOOOOF that is not a good line. Koby looked solid.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2019, 04:26:56 PM »
 Not to mention the fact we had our doors blown off in the first round last year.  An absolute disaster.  I remember everyone saying man, Murray State is gonna make a run.  Turns out, they end up getting absolutely destroyed by FSU in the next game.  That game was an absolute embarrassment from the opening tip. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2019, 04:29:07 PM »
I don't follow this logic. Marquette has performed well in the past 5 years?

I don't think they have performed very well, but I'm speaking relative to talent on the floor. To me they haven't really overachieved or underachieved based on the players they have. It's probably a roster that is 30-40th best and that's largely about how they've performed.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 04:31:30 PM by BM1090 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2019, 04:30:12 PM »
Not to mention the fact we had our doors blown off in the first round last year.  An absolute disaster.  I remember everyone saying man, Murray State is gonna make a run.  Turns out, they end up getting absolutely destroyed by FSU in the next game.  That game was an absolute embarrassment from the opening tip.

Their best player is doing in the NBA what he did to Joey Hauser.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2019, 04:30:31 PM »

Did Marquette lose to Murray State?
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2019, 04:31:29 PM »
6-21, with 2 assists and 4 turnovers... OOOOOOF that is not a good line. Koby looked solid.

He most definitely did not.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2019, 04:33:01 PM »
I don't think they have performed very well, but I'm speaking relative to talent on the floor. To me they haven't really overachieved or underachieved based on the players they have. It's a probably a roster that is 30-40th best and that's largely about how they've performed.
Time for MU to get a new GM to get Wojo better talent?

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2019, 04:33:49 PM »
Their best player is doing in the NBA what he did to Joey Hauser.

Great......And he got his ass handed to him by 30 in the 2nd round. 

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2019, 04:35:16 PM »
Time for MU to get a new GM to get Wojo better talent?

Right, everyone seems to think Wojo's a good recruiter.  What do the results say about his coaching then?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2019, 04:38:03 PM »
Great......And he got his ass handed to him by 30 in the 2nd round.

Means nothing.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2019, 04:39:34 PM »
Means nothing.

What it means is the following:  our head coach didn’t have his team prepared to play and he was also incapable of making in game adjustments.  Maybe that means nothing to you.  Congrats on that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2019, 04:41:17 PM »
What it means is the following:  our head coach didn’t have his team prepared to play and he was also incapable of making in game adjustments.  Maybe that means nothing to you.  Congrats on that.

None of what you said has anything to do with what MSU did after their game against Marquette.

But glad to know you feel better about MU’s loss to South Carolina since it’s ever important how teams that beat MU in the Tourney do after that. Final Four for South Carolina. Count that one as a win in the Tourney for Wojo then.

feedback