2024 Transfer Portal by onepost
[Today at 10:09:20 PM]

Academic All Americans by Pakuni
[Today at 09:06:28 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 07:57:45 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pivot (al) Moments  (Read 30936 times)

jonny09

• Team Captain
Re: Pivot (al) Moments
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2019, 04:44:13 PM »
None of what you said has anything to do with what MSU did after their game against Marquette.

But glad to know you feel better about MU’s loss to South Carolina since it’s ever important how teams that beat MU in the Tourney do after that. Final Four for South Carolina. Count that one as a win in the Tourney for Wojo then.

Right........ You make a lot of sense.  Just like you pointing out what Ja Morant is doing in the NBA????   That has a lot to do with MU’s loss?   Solid argument. 

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2019, 04:47:36 PM »
We lost on the road to a team that has the 8th best home court record since 2000.  Yup, it sucked.

Wojo now 3-3 against UW-Madison

Crean, Buzz, KO all had losing records against Uw - Madison

It’s way way way too early for the pants pissing going on right now.  On to the next game and improvement.
i agree, too early to know, but you are only as good as your last game and that is not good.  Its not that we lost.  but how we lost to an average uw. UW's record at home since 2000 is irrelevant. They had better teams than this one since 2000.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2019, 04:48:17 PM »
Right........ You make a lot of sense.  Just like you pointing out what Ja Morant is doing in the NBA????   That has a lot to do with MU’s loss?   Solid argument.

The Murray State game has nothing to do with today
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2019, 04:48:37 PM »

Yeah. They had the best player on the court. Not hard to figure out. Has a lot more to do with Marquette’s game against Murray State than what Murray State did against Florida State. Or what South Carolina did against Duke.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2019, 04:51:28 PM »
Yeah. They had the best player on the court. Not hard to figure out. Has a lot more to do with Marquette’s game against Murray State than what Murray State did against Florida State. Or what South Carolina did against Duke.

You still don’t get it.   It’s about Wojo.  What is hard to understand?   The man can’t coach.  Lmao.  How hard is that to grasp??  Apparently very.   

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2019, 04:51:47 PM »
I usually preach patience, but damn, that blown layup by Bailey might have been enough for me to give up hope. I keep hearing that he's tearing it up in practice but wow. Kid needs a lid lifter really badly.

On the other end of the spectrum, Cain took much more of a step forward than I ever expected. If trends continue he could take Bailey's starting spot.

I think Greg will only get better as he gets healthier. Have seen some good things from him early

Three for three TAMU.

I know Brenden's defense was excellent at the end of last year, but his offense...wow, not what was expected.

Love that Jamal has seem to have taken a step back forward.

And tip of the hat to Tower who was pointing out the GE was a difference maker.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2019, 04:52:57 PM »
KenPom predicted both Purdue and Wisconsin as 1-point wins. In other words, they were pick 'em games. Going 1-1 was expected. That said, Marquette played very poorly today. Lots to figure out if we're going to contend for a Big East title.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

connie

• All American
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2019, 04:53:13 PM »
"I will not freak out after losing our first road game in a tough venue against a hard to match team."

"I will not freak out after losing our first road game in a tough venue against a hard to match team."

"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2019, 04:53:36 PM »
Losin to Wisconsin at any time is a disgrace and unacceptable. Wojo is lost.
Why do you only show up to whine?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2019, 04:56:14 PM »
I had that covered for him.
Ok, that was good.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2019, 04:59:09 PM »

Johnny09 is right.  A good coach can neutralize a dominant player on an otherwise inferior team.  Sometimes it's a focus on the player, sometimes on his teammates.

Kevin O'Neil beat a far superior Kentucky team in the NCAAs by using a defense we had never played before - a triangle and two - that shut down their best player.

Fifteen (or so) years later, Roy Williams (and his superior Kansas team) shut down D. Wade by making Travis Deiner's life miserable in the Final Four.

Two totally different approaches, same result.

To date, Wojo has demonstrated ZERO ability to adjust (let alone customize) a gameplan to put this kids in a position to win. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 05:00:59 PM by f/k/a humanlung »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2019, 05:00:29 PM »

You still don’t get it.   It’s about Wojo.  What is hard to understand?   The man can’t coach.  Lmao.  How hard is that to grasp??  Apparently very.

Guys who can’t coach typically don’t coach their team to top 5 seeds in the NCAA Tournament.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2019, 05:02:54 PM »
Johnny09 is right.  A good coach can neutralize a dominant player on an otherwise inferior team.  Sometimes it's a focus on the player, sometimes on his teammates.

Kevin O'Neil beat a far superior Kentucky team in the NCAAs by using a defense we had never played before - a triangle and two - that shut down their best player.

Fifteen (or so) years later, Roy Williams (and his superior Kansas team) shut down D. Wade by making Travis Deiner's life miserable in the Final Four.

To date, Wojo has demonstrated ZERO ability to adjust (let alone customize) a gameplan to put this kids in a position to win.

Wojo beat Ben Simmons and LSU.

So...

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2019, 05:03:06 PM »

I don’t think they used a triangle and two in that game

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2019, 05:03:16 PM »
Guys who can’t coach typically don’t coach their team to top 5 seeds in the NCAA Tournament.

Lol.  Clown. 

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2019, 05:03:26 PM »

You are, of course, assuming that the seeding/ranking process is without error.  See: Notre Dame football as a related example.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 05:06:59 PM by f/k/a humanlung »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2019, 05:05:41 PM »
Lol.  Clown.

Thank you.

Honest question, why weren’t you crying like this after we beat Purdue Wednesday?

You are, of course, assuming that the seeding/reaming process is without error.  See: Notre Dame football as a related example.

What do you suggest we should’ve been seeded last year?

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2019, 05:05:56 PM »
Wojo beat Ben Simmons and LSU.

So...

And Evanston just beat #1 Kentucky. Doesn't make them favorites for the Tourny.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2019, 05:06:34 PM »

You are correct. O’Neil bogged them down playing the defense he preached.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2019, 05:07:10 PM »
Thank you.

Honest question, why weren’t you crying like this after we beat Purdue Wednesday?

What do you suggest we should’ve been seeded last year?

I was.  Go back and look.  What else would be helpful?

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2019, 05:07:59 PM »
None of what you said has anything to do with what MSU did after their game against Marquette.

But glad to know you feel better about MU’s loss to South Carolina since it’s ever important how teams that beat MU in the Tourney do after that. Final Four for South Carolina. Count that one as a win in the Tourney for Wojo then.

I think this board needs to figure out what the performance of the team that we lose to in the tournament says about us.  Complaints about the loss to S Carolina were answered with "They made the Final Four!"  Pointing out that Murray State got waxed by FSU was apparently irrelevant.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #121 on: November 17, 2019, 05:08:59 PM »

Kevin O’Neil also lost to Green Bay and some other teams that a good coach should not lose to.  Picking out a game here or there doesn’t prove anything really.  Evansville bested Kentucky the other day in Lexington.  College basketball does that.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2019, 05:09:39 PM »
And Evanston just beat #1 Kentucky. Doesn't make them favorites for the Tourny.

Never said it was.

Your point was a good coach can beat a team with a single dominant player.

Wojo did just that.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2019, 05:10:20 PM »
I think this board needs to figure out what the performance of the team that we lose to in the tournament says about us.  Complaints about the loss to S Carolina were answered with "They made the Final Four!"  Pointing out that Murray State got waxed by FSU was apparently irrelevant.

Neither say much to be honest.  Murray State was a bad matchup.  People don’t like to hear that, but they were.  Personally, the South Carolina loss is more infuriating because that team was garbage heading into the tournament. 

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #124 on: November 17, 2019, 05:20:50 PM »

After he left for Tennessee, I had a chance meeting with him in an airport (Ohare during the summer a couple years after he was gone).  We starting talking and the conversation turned to that game.  He reminded me that they used that defense.

feedback