[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Upsets! / Surprise results.  (Read 145482 times)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Upsets! / Surprise results.
« Reply #776 on: February 19, 2020, 08:53:48 PM »
....I wonder if 82 will comment on this?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #777 on: February 19, 2020, 09:00:19 PM »
Lots to pick from tonight:

Sub .500 Georgia knocks off #13 Auburn by double digits

Sub 150 KenPom Texas A&M beats NCAA hopeful Alabama at their place (gig 'em)

Sub 125 KenPom UCF beats bubble team Cincinnati in Cincy

Sub 200 KenPom Tulane up double digits against bubbly SMU in the final minutes

Future #1 seed Duke down 15 at half to NIT hopeful NC State (obviously a lot of game left in this one)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #778 on: February 19, 2020, 10:51:08 PM »
Duke will be a 2.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #779 on: February 20, 2020, 12:13:17 AM »
Duke will be a 2.

You are correct. They still lost by 22 to a team previously praying to make the NIT.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #780 on: February 20, 2020, 08:02:37 AM »
....I wonder if 82 will comment on this?

I don't know why anybody should be concerned about this. After all, announced attendance was 8,395 ... and that's more than half the capacity at the 16,540-seat Frank Erwin Center!

Yep, they sure do have Shaka Fever in Austin!!!

During his 5 years, average attendance has been 10,714 -- but it was only 8,650 last year, when they missed the tournament.

Texas is not basketball country, but average attendance was 11,717 during 17 seasons under Smart's predecessor, Rick Barnes. During a 6-year stretch from 2005-11, when the team regularly contended for Big 12 titles and twice reached the Elite 8, average attendance was 13,620. One reason Barnes had to go was that attendance had been falling in his later years.

UT is building a new on-campus arena to open for the 2021-22 season. Although its capacity will be 17K for things like concerts, they will close off the upper level for every basketball game to create an "intimate" 10K-seat basketball arena.

Apparently, they are acknowledging that even Mrs. Shaka can't get butts in the seats of UT basketball games.

Aren't you glad you asked?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #781 on: February 22, 2020, 09:27:47 PM »
Final - UNLV 66 @ #4 SDSU 63
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #782 on: February 22, 2020, 09:34:25 PM »
Final - UNLV 66 @ #4 SDSU 63

Could TJO be our unicorn?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #783 on: February 22, 2020, 11:06:30 PM »
the zags down by 11 with 1:30 to go at BYU
don't...don't don't don't don't

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #784 on: February 22, 2020, 11:06:54 PM »
#1, 2, and 4 lose within 12 hours of each other.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #785 on: February 23, 2020, 06:03:51 PM »
I don't know why anybody should be concerned about this. After all, announced attendance was 8,395 ... and that's more than half the capacity at the 16,540-seat Frank Erwin Center!

Yep, they sure do have Shaka Fever in Austin!!!

During his 5 years, average attendance has been 10,714 -- but it was only 8,650 last year, when they missed the tournament.

Texas is not basketball country, but average attendance was 11,717 during 17 seasons under Smart's predecessor, Rick Barnes. During a 6-year stretch from 2005-11, when the team regularly contended for Big 12 titles and twice reached the Elite 8, average attendance was 13,620. One reason Barnes had to go was that attendance had been falling in his later years.

UT is building a new on-campus arena to open for the 2021-22 season. Although its capacity will be 17K for things like concerts, they will close off the upper level for every basketball game to create an "intimate" 10K-seat basketball arena.

Apparently, they are acknowledging that even Mrs. Shaka can't get butts in the seats of UT basketball games.

Aren't you glad you asked?
Yes....your obsession with shaka is still very impressive after all these years.
I thought it was strange two years ago, when you would bring up UT’s losses...on MU’s board...but I now think you will just continue to comment on Shaka wherever he ends his career. Whatever makes you happy I guess.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 09:30:46 PM by We R Final Four »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #786 on: February 23, 2020, 09:07:54 PM »
The end of the Georgia - Vanderbilt game...Scottie Pippen's kid is fouled with Vanderbilt up two so he shoots two free throws to ice it with 5 seconds left.  Misses both, Georgia runs down to hit a long 3 to win it.  Pippen's kid is averaging 11points a game as a freshman...pretty solid freshman campaign.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #787 on: February 23, 2020, 09:32:31 PM »
#1, 2, and 4 lose within 12 hours of each other.

Regular season games are meaningless - total crap shoot!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #788 on: February 24, 2020, 08:00:43 PM »
Texas has WVU on the ropes with 3 minutes left. With a loss, WVU would fall to 7-8 in the Big 12. They also have a non conference loss @ SJU. They have one win over a top 60 team in conference, a home win over Texas Tech.

They are, somehow, 7th in Kenpom. Strong non conference with wins over N Iowa, RI, Ohio State, and Wichita State.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #789 on: February 24, 2020, 08:08:19 PM »
huggy seems to be so much better since they implanted that AED under that massive sweatshirt

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #790 on: February 24, 2020, 08:08:40 PM »
Ohhhh...I’m not a Wojo basher but this I could get behind.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #791 on: February 24, 2020, 08:11:43 PM »

Maybe....but let's see what he does with his recruits in a few years.  Definitely an up and coming coach. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #792 on: February 24, 2020, 08:21:31 PM »
Maybe....but let's see what he does with his recruits in a few years.  Definitely an up and coming coach.

i'm surprised UNLV is the best he could do with his background- 3 post season appearance in 3 years at dakota state?  that's like canada south.  what's the draw there?  come to s dakota state cuz we're not n. dakota?  hockey is huge, but their cheerleaders are packer rejects for chriminey sakes

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #793 on: February 24, 2020, 08:37:22 PM »
i'm surprised UNLV is the best he could do with his background- 3 post season appearance in 3 years at dakota state?  that's like canada south.  what's the draw there?  come to s dakota state cuz we're not n. dakota?  hockey is huge, but their cheerleaders are packer rejects for chriminey sakes

SDSU has been pretty good for a bit.  They won 19 or more games every year since 2011....won 24+ a few times before TJ got there. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #794 on: February 24, 2020, 08:37:42 PM »

Why?  We could just look what he did with our (MU) recruits at ISU.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #795 on: February 24, 2020, 08:43:37 PM »
Why?  We could just look what he did with our (MU) recruits at ISU.

He did that...should we look at what Wojo did as an assistant with Duke players then...to compare apples to apples in your comparison?   :D

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #796 on: February 24, 2020, 08:46:59 PM »

It’s not like he has a bunch of studs leftover. Both Rice and Menzies were mediocre over the last 4-5 years.

I think it’s just viewed as too low level for a jump to high major gigs. His predecessor there, Scott Nagy, brought them up from D2 after a successful run at that level, transitioned them and rebuilt them into a team that won 3 conference titles and 3 NCAA appearances and an NIT in his last 5 years, all by only his late 40s, and that got him a job at....Wright State. So honestly, a jump to UNLV is actually pretty nice for TJ, likely aided by his age.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #797 on: February 24, 2020, 09:03:01 PM »
He did that...should we look at what Wojo did as an assistant with Duke players then...to compare apples to apples in your comparison?   :D

Or we could look at TJO's head coaching record at a low Major in conference or making the Crapshoot (66%). 

It's simple Cheeken Little: Wojo wins out, he is gold. I believe he will do it. But, end of the day, Wojo needs to learn to win in the conference where he is mediocre (sub 500).  TJO has figured that out.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #798 on: February 24, 2020, 09:28:31 PM »
Or we could look at TJO's head coaching record at a low Major in conference or making the Crapshoot (66%). 

It's simple Cheeken Little: Wojo wins out, he is gold. I believe he will do it. But, end of the day, Wojo needs to learn to win in the conference where he is mediocre (sub 500).  TJO has figured that out.

Low major...hmm....They've made the NCAA tournament 2012, 2013, 2016.  NIT 2015.  This is a good program even before TJ got there. TJ got to take over a NCAA tournament team....I wish Wojo had but Buzz left him crap. Now, that said, I like TJ a lot.  So I'm not why you are piling on.  If he comes up in the mix down the road, great.  Right now I'd like him to continue to prove it out with his guys.  At SDSU he took a NCAA team and kept it going for two years with a mix of his guys and the previous.  In his last year, almost all his guys they were a NIT team....Western Illinois bit them in their league tournament...a team SDSU beat only a weak earlier by 20 and a month earlier than that by 42....but they lost to the Leathernecks in the Summit League tourney.  I can only imagine the warm reception for Wojo going into a conference tournament as the #1 seed and losing to a 4-12 team that you drilled twice in the regular season.   Let me ask, what would the reception have been.......?

We'll see how things play out with him, but I do like him and the fact he is a Wisconsin guy. Let's see how he recruits at UNLV and how they end up performing in the next few years.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #799 on: February 24, 2020, 09:36:13 PM »
Let me ask, what would the reception have been.......?

Crapshoot, hey? Just like TB.

Back to MU: Throw out out Year 1 and Wojo is .500 except with the Hausers in conference. Just.Win.Out in 2020 and all is good for (y)our boy. It’s that simple.