Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Upsets! / Surprise results.  (Read 147797 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Upsets! / Surprise results.
« Reply #800 on: February 24, 2020, 09:55:46 PM »
Low major...hmm....They've made the NCAA tournament 2012, 2013, 2016.  NIT 2015.  This is a good program even before TJ got there. TJ got to take over a NCAA tournament team....

So, 23/32 per KPom makes the Summit a high major? Mid? Really?  Even your doppelgänger Billy won’t join you on your Scotch Island, Cheeken Little.

https://kenpom.com/conf.php?c=Sum&y=2019

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #801 on: February 24, 2020, 10:07:37 PM »
So, 23/32 per KPom makes the Summit a high major? Mid? Really?  Even your doppelgänger Billy won’t join you on your Scotch Island, Cheeken Little.

https://kenpom.com/conf.php?c=Sum&y=2019

SDSU has been considered a mid major since at least 2012

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1007985-south-dakota-state-mens-basketball-the-mid-major-nobody-is-respecting?share=other

You said low major.   If you will recall a conference does not classify a program...a program does.  For the same reason Gonzaga was considered a mid major for years even when the WCC was ranked 16th to 20th. 

Currently ranked in the Mid Major top 25.  Not the low major top 25   https://www.collegeinsider.com/mens-mid-major-top-25.php
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 10:22:36 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #802 on: February 24, 2020, 10:16:09 PM »
Crapshoot, hey? Just like TB.

Back to MU: Throw out out Year 1 and Wojo is .500 except with the Hausers in conference. Just.Win.Out in 2020 and all is good for (y)our boy. It’s that simple.

Would argue even 3-1 and all is good.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #803 on: February 24, 2020, 10:33:46 PM »

3-1 hits my optimistic "what happens after quitters quit" guess for conference play.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #804 on: February 24, 2020, 11:02:33 PM »
If TJO puts out a feeler... pole ax time.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #805 on: February 24, 2020, 11:05:01 PM »

We should expect to beat depleted St Johns in Year 1 of Anderson regime, or depleted Georgetown in Year 3 of Ewing, and 1-11 DePaul.

3-1 is minimum acceptable. Go 2-2, and we are 9-9  in Wojo Year 6, with the program’s All-time leading scorer on the roster, and a 5th year program guy - Sacar, 22.5 year old Bailey, redshirt junior Koby McEwen?   

Then again, we should be grateful Wojo is willing to accept our $2M and coach in the sh$thole that is Fiserv Forum and city of Milwaukee.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #806 on: February 24, 2020, 11:34:29 PM »
If TJO puts out a feeler... pole ax time.

Why? What has TJO accomplished that guarantees (or even suggests) long-term success at a P6 school, success that of course would have to include multiple deep NCAA tournament runs?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #807 on: February 24, 2020, 11:35:24 PM »
We should expect to beat depleted St Johns in Year 1 of Anderson regime, or depleted Georgetown in Year 3 of Ewing, and 1-11 DePaul.

3-1 is minimum acceptable. Go 2-2, and we are 9-9  in Wojo Year 6, with the program’s All-time leading scorer on the roster, and a 5th year program guy - Sacar, 22.5 year old Bailey, redshirt junior Koby McEwen?   

Then again, we should be grateful Wojo is willing to accept our $2M and coach in the sh$thole that is Fiserv Forum and city of Milwaukee.

If Wojo is gone after this season, for whatever reason it may be, who do you want to fill the position?

Are you one of the meat eating lovers who thinks the list starts and ends with Bennett, Sampson, and Beard?

Who do you think is a realistic option to replace Wojo if he is gone?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #808 on: February 24, 2020, 11:52:18 PM »

The last four games are as favorable a schedule as any team in the league is going to have. Georgetown, DePaul and St. Johns are all limping to the finish. And, that road game against DePaul will be in a half full (likely even less) Wintrust Arena. A 3-1 finish or better should absolutely be the expectation.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #809 on: February 24, 2020, 11:53:39 PM »
If Wojo is gone after this season, for whatever reason it may be, who do you want to fill the position?

Are you one of the meat eating lovers who thinks the list starts and ends with Bennett, Sampson, and Beard?

Niko Medved and TJ Otzenberger would be near the top of my realistic candidates list. But Wojo will be back next year.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #810 on: February 25, 2020, 12:02:00 AM »
The last four games are as favorable a schedule as any team in the league is going to have. Georgetown, DePaul and St. Johns are all limping to the finish. And, that road game against DePaul will be in a half full (likely even less) Wintrust Arena. A 3-1 finish or better should absolutely be the expectation.

Butler finishes with DePaul and St John’s at home and XU on the road.  We still have to play two on the road and the first place team.  Seton Hall has the toughest remaining schedule.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #811 on: February 25, 2020, 12:06:08 AM »

5-0 or bust. I'll bet my dunking* skills on it

*edit: my ability to eat dunkaroos by the thousands
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #812 on: February 25, 2020, 08:27:50 AM »
Niko Medved and TJ Otzenberger would be near the top of my realistic candidates list. But Wojo will be back next year.

If Wojo leaves TJ with the Big East version of what Mike Daum was to the Summit League, I'd be all for it.  I'd hold off for a year or two to see how he does at UNLV without having been left what would've been a very good high major player left for him in a low major league.

But that's kind of the point.  Otzenberger is probably the most proven coach out there who would be a realistic replacement for Wojo this offseason.  And, in my opinion, he's far from a sure thing to be a great high major coach.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #813 on: February 25, 2020, 10:54:13 AM »
If Wojo leaves TJ with the Big East version of what Mike Daum was to the Summit League, I'd be all for it.  I'd hold off for a year or two to see how he does at UNLV without having been left what would've been a very good high major player left for him in a low major league.

But that's kind of the point.  Otzenberger is probably the most proven coach out there who would be a realistic replacement for Wojo this offseason.  And, in my opinion, he's far from a sure thing to be a great high major coach.

Perfectly stated, wades.

I am not "against" Otzenberger in any way. He might turn out to be the next Jay Wright. But he has proven bupkis so far. Time will tell ... and that's fine, because Wojo probably ain't goin' anywhere anytime soon.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #814 on: February 25, 2020, 11:23:27 AM »
Why? What has TJO accomplished that guarantees (or even suggests) long-term success at a P6 school, success that of course would have to include multiple deep NCAA tournament runs?

That's a direction I'd like Marquette to look at. Never been a NoJo, but my opinion is TJO has a higher ceiling.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #815 on: February 25, 2020, 11:25:35 AM »
That's a direction I'd like Marquette to look at. Never been a NoJo, but my opinion is TJO has a higher ceiling.

UNLV is a better job
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #816 on: February 25, 2020, 11:25:59 AM »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #817 on: February 25, 2020, 11:32:46 AM »
Stop.

Great history, great city, football money and pro sports growing in the city. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #818 on: February 25, 2020, 11:34:37 AM »

Thank you for making my point for me.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #819 on: February 25, 2020, 11:35:05 AM »
UNLV is a better job

Easier job for sure

🏀

• All American
« Reply #820 on: February 25, 2020, 11:37:30 AM »
UNLV is a better job

AlonzoMourning.gif

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #821 on: February 25, 2020, 11:39:01 AM »
Easier job for sure

No doubt.  Mountain West is an easier league to win in.  UNLV has as much history as Marquette in basketball success.  Get the right coach in there that embraces the past and the city, no reason they can’t be a power again

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #822 on: February 25, 2020, 12:56:23 PM »

plus, academic standards don't exist for incoming or continuing players, the administration looks the other way on pretty much any transgression. It's what Buzz wanted on steroids.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #823 on: February 25, 2020, 12:58:11 PM »
plus, academic standards don't exist for incoming or continuing players, the administration looks the other way on pretty much any transgression. It's what Buzz wanted on steroids.

It’s a low key great job

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #824 on: February 25, 2020, 01:22:00 PM »

I'd also add Scott Nagy and for my stat nerd heart Kyle Smith.