[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Investing Thread  (Read 298950 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Investing Thread
« Reply #3500 on: February 02, 2024, 01:21:37 PM »
anyone watching meta and amazon?  bought some of each last october and pretty glad i did.  on news of potential dividends and nice earnings reports.  meta is up over 20% and amzn 8%

btw, sold my tesla at $250-just had a feeling that EV sentiment was going to settle down given some of the concerns regarding battery issues.   i still think EV's will find their niche

EVs will mostly replace ICE autos in the next decade.  The current models have gone as far as they can on the tech that is available and infrastructure.

I think it will be far more likely that people own one EV and one hybrid instead of two ICE autos. 

Otherwise good timing on the META and Amazon decisions they're doing really well since you bought.  Have you sold your CCL stock?

I stopped buying individual stocks because I only pick losers lol.  ;D

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3501 on: February 02, 2024, 02:57:20 PM »
EVs will mostly replace ICE autos in the next decade.  The current models have gone as far as they can on the tech that is available and infrastructure.

I think it will be far more likely that people own one EV and one hybrid instead of two ICE autos. 

Otherwise good timing on the META and Amazon decisions they're doing really well since you bought.  Have you sold your CCL stock?

I stopped buying individual stocks because I only pick losers lol.  ;D

yes i sold ccl quite a long time ago, needed the money for something else and thought it was too volatile on downside

i like hybrids although i don't own one myself.  i could see buying one of those before a full EV.  i've uber'ed in a few and i'd probably total it watching the dashboard energy flow
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3502 on: February 02, 2024, 10:31:06 PM »
I don't understand hybrids.

If I want the simplicity of an EV, I buy that.

If I want the reliability & range of an ice, I buy that.

If I mix the two? It's an ice and ev blended to create a festiva.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3503 on: February 02, 2024, 10:46:28 PM »

We have two hybrids. They get between 35-40 mpg. At the time we bought the first (2016), very few EVs were out there and certainly none that we would want to own. At the time we bought the second (2023), there was a major shortage on EVs, especially affordable ones.

We get good mileage. We never have to worry about not being able to find a charger. The cost of the cars was much lower than similarly equipped EVs.

I wouldn't mind owning an EV one day - and if we live and drive long enough, we probably will. But hybrids have their role. Toyota, for one, is all-in on them.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3504 on: February 02, 2024, 11:18:58 PM »
But hybrids have their role. Toyota, for one, is all-in on them.

I don't disagree.  And hybrids have their role.  But as a guy that owns one 25 year old jeep.  My only vehicle, and require it be reliable (because, I can't completely survive without a vehicle).  I can't justify a hybrid - in general.  If I were to buy a new vehicle, it would be a Toyota or Honda ice because of the "old cars I still see on the road". 

I realize that I'm short bus special, and not "every guy looking for a car"   ;D

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3505 on: February 03, 2024, 08:05:32 AM »
I don't disagree.  And hybrids have their role.  But as a guy that owns one 25 year old jeep.  My only vehicle, and require it be reliable (because, I can't completely survive without a vehicle).  I can't justify a hybrid - in general.  If I were to buy a new vehicle, it would be a Toyota or Honda ice because of the "old cars I still see on the road". 

I realize that I'm short bus special, and not "every guy looking for a car"   ;D

I appreciate all that. But Toyota is actually selling fewer and fewer non-hybrid ICE vehicles. For example, starting with the 2025 model year, you won't be able to buy a new-model Camry that isn't a hybrid.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/toyotas-camry-best-selling-car-us-goes-all-hybrid-2023-11-15/#:~:text=Compliance%20with%20tougher%20U.S.%20fuel,in%20North%20America%2C%20told%20Reuters.

As to you needing something reliable ... I have several friends and acquaintances who own Priuses that are 10+ years old and that are still running great.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #3506 on: February 03, 2024, 08:18:37 AM »

I had a Lynk & Co (Chinese made Volvo, and coming to USA this year) rental in France last year.  It got like 50-60 miles per gallon.  I had to ask Hertz how it worked because when you started the car nothing happens.  You have to look for "Ready to go" notification after push button starting.  Engine wouldn't turn on until another minute of driving.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3507 on: February 03, 2024, 01:42:03 PM »

Does not compute

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3508 on: February 03, 2024, 02:09:53 PM »
Does not compute

Those mid-late 90s grand cherokees were built pretty well.

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #3509 on: February 04, 2024, 12:59:56 PM »
I went to the Porsche Experience Center last week and drove a 911 Carrera 4S (ICE).  After finishing my run, I talked to a guy who drove a Taycan 4S (EV).  He said he drove it to compare it to the 911 Carrera 4S that he already owns.  After driving the Taycan, according to him, there is no way he will be giving up his current Porsche.  He was not impressed with the performance of the EV vs the ICE, especially getting to the apex of the turn and then accelerating into the straight away.  Just one anecdote, but I have heard similar thoughts from Porsche drivers before. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3510 on: February 04, 2024, 01:11:20 PM »
I went to the Porsche Experience Center last week and drove a 911 Carrera 4S (ICE).  After finishing my run, I talked to a guy who drove a Taycan 4S (EV).  He said he drove it to compare it to the 911 Carrera 4S that he already owns.  After driving the Taycan, according to him, there is no way he will be giving up his current Porsche.  He was not impressed with the performance of the EV vs the ICE, especially getting to the apex of the turn and then accelerating into the straight away.  Just one anecdote, but I have heard similar thoughts from Porsche drivers before.

Also anecdotal, but I know two sports car drivers (one has a 911, the other has an M3 and an RS6).  Both looked at EV sports models from those 3 automakers, and one key factor for both, besides performance, was engine sound.  It’s one thing for a sedan or daily driver or even SUV, but for a performance vehicle, there is something to be said for the ICE sound vs the EV.

But YMMV.  Hell, I remember valeting at MCC in the mid 2000s and a prominent Milwaukee developer had a SLICK 911 GT3…in automatic.  And not the tiptronic combo type with paddle shifters you see now.  Just a flat out P/R/D/N single rail in the middle.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3511 on: February 04, 2024, 01:52:26 PM »
EVs just drive so differently. They're incredibly heavy so they're not fun in the corners. They're more like American muscle, born for straightaways, than they are like nimble enthusiast cars.

Electric cars will fill the broad middle for small daily drivers, IMO. They're not some panacea.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3512 on: February 04, 2024, 04:18:33 PM »
From the Wall Street Journal, under the headline: The Money and Drugs That Tie Elon Musk to Some Tesla Directors ... and the subhead: Board members have reaped hundreds of millions from stock awards and separate investments, even as some have done drugs with Musk; former Tesla director Larry Ellison offered him a chance to dry out ...

Many board members at Elon Musk's companies have deep personal and financial ties to the billionaire entrepreneur, and have profited enormously from the relationship. The connections are an extreme blurring of friendship and fortune and raise questions among some shareholders about the independence of the board members charged with overseeing the chief executive.

https://www.wsj.com/tech/elon-musk-tesla-money-drugs-board-61af9ac4?mod=djemwhatsnews

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3513 on: February 04, 2024, 04:42:35 PM »
From the Wall Street Journal, under the headline: The Money and Drugs That Tie Elon Musk to Some Tesla Directors ... and the subhead: Board members have reaped hundreds of millions from stock awards and separate investments, even as some have done drugs with Musk; former Tesla director Larry Ellison offered him a chance to dry out ...

Many board members at Elon Musk's companies have deep personal and financial ties to the billionaire entrepreneur, and have profited enormously from the relationship. The connections are an extreme blurring of friendship and fortune and raise questions among some shareholders about the independence of the board members charged with overseeing the chief executive.

https://www.wsj.com/tech/elon-musk-tesla-money-drugs-board-61af9ac4?mod=djemwhatsnews

wow, almost like jeffrey epstein and his "pals"   don't think billybob tried to talk jeff out of his "habits" though

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3514 on: February 04, 2024, 04:53:58 PM »
  wow, almost like jeffrey epstein and his "pals"   don't think billybob tried to talk jeff out of his "habits" though

8 out of 10
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3515 on: February 04, 2024, 05:04:48 PM »
8 out of 10

gosh dang there's that class clown reeko only 11 minutes late ...musta missed me

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3516 on: February 04, 2024, 05:07:57 PM »

gosh dang there's that class clown reeko only 11 minutes late ...musta missed me

I’m glad you compared Elon to Jeffrey Epstein.  Very similar people, imo

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3517 on: February 04, 2024, 07:00:05 PM »

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Why would you support a CEO who gives jobs and wealth to his unqualified druggie friends? I thought you were firmly against affirmative action.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3518 on: February 04, 2024, 09:22:48 PM »

In one of the other WSJ articles, it is pointed out Musk created over $650 Billion in shareholder value during the term of his contract. He can take all the drugs he wants and have as many conflicts as possible if he keeps that performance up.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3519 on: February 05, 2024, 06:42:47 AM »
In one of the other WSJ articles, it is pointed out Musk created over $650 Billion in shareholder value during the term of his contract. He can take all the drugs he wants and have as many conflicts as possible if he keeps that performance up.

And be anti-Semitic

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3520 on: February 05, 2024, 07:08:46 AM »

Two tiered society

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3521 on: February 05, 2024, 07:35:24 AM »
When I heard Apple was coming out with a $3,500 virtual reality headset that would look crazy-huge on anyone's face, my initial reaction was: "Who's gonna buy that?"

Turns out, 180K units were sold even before the Vision Pro's official launch - that's $630M before the product even hit stores, online retailers and the official Apple website.

From the NYT DealBook newsletter ...

The NYT’s Kevin Roose says: “I still have no idea whom or what this thing is supposed to be for. At $3,500, it’s not a device for the masses, or even the mass affluent. It’s a big, honking statement piece — a status symbol for your face.”

The WSJ's Joanna Stern says to look past the deficiencies of this first-generation product. “It’s the best mixed-reality headset I’ve ever tried, way more advanced than its only real competition, the far cheaper Meta Quest Pro and Quest 3. These companies know these aren’t really the devices we want. They’re all working toward building virtual experiences into something that looks more like a pair of regular eyeglasses.”

Casey Neistat, a digital influencer, was blown away. “In summary, buy Apple stock cause this is without a doubt a new product category that they will see through.”

I've lost track of how many times over AAPL stock has appreciated since our own Douchey told his fellow Scoopers to sell it ... but it's a ton.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3522 on: February 05, 2024, 07:41:32 AM »
I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Why would you support a CEO who gives jobs and wealth to his unqualified druggie friends? I thought you were firmly against affirmative action.

where did i say "support" a CEO who gives jobs...

sold my stock in tesla

don't own a tesla

why would you support a known pedophile who befriended a number of people you support and ruined countless lives

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3523 on: February 05, 2024, 07:46:32 AM »
why would you support a known pedophile who befriended a number of people you support and ruined countless lives

So when he says "I have no idea what you are talking about," you consider that "support?"

English. Learn it. Use it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3524 on: February 05, 2024, 07:54:06 AM »
So when he says "I have no idea what you are talking about," you consider that "support?"

English. Learn it. Use it.

dittos atcha sally