[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Investing Thread  (Read 298545 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Investing Thread
« Reply #3475 on: January 28, 2024, 11:45:20 AM »
The cause is greed - not the economy. Corporate interests have realized that rent is one more area where less fortunate people can be screwed over and have jumped at the chance to be the screwer rather than the screwee.

Do you think voters who are on the financial edge hear/see/read articles/headlines/stories about how "great the economy is doing" agree with that premise?

I would surmise average folks hear the word "economy" and look at their household income vs expenditures. Is it going well for those folks?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3476 on: January 28, 2024, 12:14:30 PM »
I volunteer with a group that works with homeless that do not, or cannot, stay at shelters. Number of reasons why they chose not to visit shelters and not really important. That said, the number of people being served/taken care of is up almost 100% since last year.

It is amazing that in many of our suburban communities there are homeless people. Some of their creativity on shelter is impressive. The group I am helping is now covering a very big part of MKE county.

It is a great thing you are doing.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #3477 on: January 28, 2024, 12:18:50 PM »
Do you think voters who are on the financial edge hear/see/read articles/headlines/stories about how "great the economy is doing" agree with that premise?

I would surmise average folks hear the word "economy" and look at their household income vs expenditures. Is it going well for those folks?

You posted about 'rent'. I responded and you changed what you were talking about (i.e. moving the goalposts in the best Heisy tradition).

Institutional investors may control 40% of U.S. single-family rental homes by 2030, according to MetLife Investment Management. This is the single biggest problem when it comes to increased rent costs.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3478 on: January 28, 2024, 12:37:30 PM »
You posted about 'rent'. I responded and you changed what you were talking about (i.e. moving the goalposts in the best Heisy tradition).

Institutional investors may control 40% of U.S. single-family rental homes by 2030, according to MetLife Investment Management. This is the single biggest problem when it comes to increased rent costs.

My apologies. I wasn't trying to deceive.

I was merely pointing out that I believe the average voter does not find a meaningful difference between "economy" and their household financial situation - which includes rent in some cases.

So seeing constant information about how "good" the economy is flies directly in contrast with their personal experience.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #3479 on: January 28, 2024, 12:46:48 PM »
My apologies. I wasn't trying to deceive.

I was merely pointing out that I believe the average voter does not find a meaningful difference between "economy" and their household financial situation - which includes rent in some cases.

So seeing constant information about how "good" the economy is flies directly in contrast with their personal experience.

My apology as well.

I don't disagree with your point here.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3480 on: January 28, 2024, 01:17:43 PM »
I volunteer with a group that works with homeless that do not, or cannot, stay at shelters. Number of reasons why they chose not to visit shelters and not really important. That said, the number of people being served/taken care of is up almost 100% since last year.

It is amazing that in many of our suburban communities there are homeless people. Some of their creativity on shelter is impressive. The group I am helping is now covering a very big part of MKE county.

big kudos goose for your service-quite the humbling experiences

i have done the WDA missions of mercy over the years at different locations throughout the state, from lacrosse to sheboygan to green bay, milwaukee and lake geneva-what i realized in speaking to many of these people is that many are fairly well educated, but leading causes of their situations are not much different from those in the inner cities-domestic abuse is a root cause along with social media stigmatization's.  these lead to poor choices distracting them from what they need to do in order to stay afloat or thrive. 

they do not have much room for error with the good or bad choices they make.  the pressure on people today to have "nice" things is crazy.  if you aren't in a health care "club"(insurance) look out
don't...don't don't don't don't

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3481 on: January 28, 2024, 01:34:46 PM »
Good stuff, Rocket. That is great work you are doing. Representing the MS boys in fine fashion!!

One of my big gripes in life is that I do not think a lot of people understand just how fragile life is for some people. Granted, there are homeless people that are in that position because of lifelong poor decision making and that is real. On the other hand, there are a lot of people that were dealt a life altering blow and feel hopeless.

It really breaks my heart to see people suffering. A good number of people that avoid shelters do so because not allowed in because of drug or alcohol abuse and that is their choice. That said, I believe they need help and I am glad there are groups that help them. There has been some great recovery stories in the group over the past year and that shows anything is possible.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3482 on: January 28, 2024, 03:27:40 PM »
From a Washington Post article about the U.S. economy outperforming those of other developed countries:

The $28 trillion U.S. economy weathered multiple shocks over the past year and returned to the growth path it was on before the pandemic. The size of the economy, adjusted for inflation, regained its pre-pandemic peak in early 2021. Through the end of September, it was more than 7 percent larger than before the pandemic. That was more than twice Japan’s gain and far better than Germany’s anemic 0.3 percent increase, according to British Parliament data.

For most Americans, the growth paid off in the form of higher wages. Over the four years through September, the most recent comparison available, U.S. wages — after inflation — grew 2.8 percent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2024/01/28/global-economy-gdp-inflation/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most

I wish we still had an Economy thread so this stuff didn't have to be in the Investing thread, but that's the way it is. The economy and investing are related, but they aren't the same thing.

The U.S. economy isn't perfect, obviously, but it is healthy and growing by most available data.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3483 on: January 28, 2024, 03:42:10 PM »
Good stuff, Rocket. That is great work you are doing. Representing the MS boys in fine fashion!!

One of my big gripes in life is that I do not think a lot of people understand just how fragile life is for some people. Granted, there are homeless people that are in that position because of lifelong poor decision making and that is real. On the other hand, there are a lot of people that were dealt a life altering blow and feel hopeless.

It really breaks my heart to see people suffering. A good number of people that avoid shelters do so because not allowed in because of drug or alcohol abuse and that is their choice. That said, I believe they need help and I am glad there are groups that help them. There has been some great recovery stories in the group over the past year and that shows anything is possible.

right on goose-i don't want to turn this nice thread thread into something else, but one more thing and i'll shut up-ya'll know i'm not a big gubmint guy but if there's one area they could allocate more money to, especially with the fentanyl pouring over the border is more rehab and counseling services.  drugs and alcohol are a BIG root cause of familial breakdown and homelessness.  social workers and counselors make squat and it is very stressful, but much needed job

someone could start a thread on this, but probably wouldn't last unfortunately

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3484 on: January 28, 2024, 03:52:13 PM »

You do not seem shy on starting threads and
Thoughts and Prayers for the US economy would be another feather in your cap.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3485 on: January 28, 2024, 03:59:21 PM »

You do not seem shy on starting threads and
Thoughts and Prayers for the US economy would be another feather in your cap.

There's no reason for thoughts and prayers for the U.S. economy, Goose, though I do appreciate you stirring the pot here.

I don't re-start threads that the mods have closed. You're welcome to do so, though.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3486 on: January 28, 2024, 04:32:22 PM »

right on goose-i don't want to turn this nice thread thread into something else, but one more thing and i'll shut up-ya'll know i'm not a big gubmint guy but if there's one area they could allocate more money to, especially with the fentanyl pouring over the border is more rehab and counseling services.  drugs and alcohol are a BIG root cause of familial breakdown and homelessness.  social workers and counselors make squat and it is very stressful, but much needed job

Source please

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3487 on: January 28, 2024, 09:05:48 PM »
Source please

if you need a source for this, i'll shave my head and go streaking at half time of MU's next home game with bunny slippers on

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3488 on: January 28, 2024, 09:08:19 PM »
  if you need a source for this, i'll shave my head and go streaking at half time of MU's next home game with bunny slippers on

You made a statement that seemed to imply you knew of data/evidence. I only was asking for the evidence that shows fentanyl "pouring" in across the US/MEX border. Especially because that would imply that Fentanyl is coming in more that route than any other route

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3489 on: January 28, 2024, 09:10:38 PM »
It also has nothing to do with investing.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3490 on: January 28, 2024, 09:14:32 PM »

You love being the hall monitor. I find that to be very ironic and extremely funny.

Go MU!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3491 on: January 28, 2024, 09:16:09 PM »
Fentanyl is a scourge.  But it has been for over 15 years.  It has never been political to me.   It was just one more thing to deal with  And it has nothing to do with investing.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3492 on: January 28, 2024, 09:24:48 PM »
Fentanyl is a scourge.  But it has been for over 15 years.  It has never been political to me.   It was just one more thing to deal with  And it has nothing to do with investing.

You could invest in Chinese pharma companies, that's where the precursors come from

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3493 on: January 28, 2024, 09:27:14 PM »

You love being the hall monitor. I find that to be very ironic and extremely funny.

Go MU!!

You really are quite the pot-stirrer today!

We Are Marquette!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3495 on: January 29, 2024, 07:08:06 AM »
Not investing.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3496 on: January 29, 2024, 08:32:21 AM »
Not investing.

Oh, you're such a hall monitor trying to keep the Investing thread about investing.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3497 on: January 31, 2024, 01:30:38 PM »

I think that is something that we could all agree on.  Increased pay for healthcare workers, social workers, and counselors would be a great first step.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3498 on: February 02, 2024, 01:15:57 PM »
anyone watching meta and amazon?  bought some of each last october and pretty glad i did.  on news of potential dividends and nice earnings reports.  meta is up over 20% and amzn 8%

btw, sold my tesla at $250-just had a feeling that EV sentiment was going to settle down given some of the concerns regarding battery issues.   i still think EV's will find their niche

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3499 on: February 02, 2024, 01:19:25 PM »
anyone watching meta and amazon?  bought some of each last october and pretty glad i did.  on news of potential dividends and nice earnings reports.  meta is up over 20% and amzn 8%

btw, sold my tesla at $250-just had a feeling that EV sentiment was going to settle down given some of the concerns regarding battery issues.   i still think EV's will find their niche

EVs continue to set records on sales.

I realize that's different than what investors think stock is worth.

Concerned at all about the recent congressional hearings re: meta?

feedback