[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Investing Thread  (Read 299216 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Investing Thread
« Reply #3450 on: January 23, 2024, 06:23:05 PM »
Right. But that’s not really what I’m talking about. I’m talking about how people can make a living. I don’t think manufacturing jobs are the answer.

Ah. I understand your point now. Thanks for clarifying. I misunderstood your original statement.

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #3451 on: January 23, 2024, 07:26:35 PM »
I don't disagree about looking at the past.

I disagree with things are "fine" now. Lots of folks in severe economic hardship across the country through no fault of their own.

Lots of jobs still available.  If you know of someone experiencing economic hardship, tell them to grab one. 

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3452 on: January 23, 2024, 07:29:30 PM »
We're too wealthy of a nation to do manufacturing inexpensively enough domestically to produce the goods at the prices that US consumers expect. The United States should be expanding NAFTA/USMCA to include the rest of central america. We should be investing in central american countries to move manufacturing there where it could be both inexpensive and nearshore, somewhat solving our dependence on ASEAN+China+India. Enriching those central american countries and their people will have the added benefit of significantly reducing immigration across the southern border.

Win win win imo.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3453 on: January 23, 2024, 07:34:59 PM »
Lots of jobs still available.  If you know of someone experiencing economic hardship, tell them to grab one.

I was referring to compensation, not job availability

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3454 on: January 23, 2024, 08:26:35 PM »
I was referring to compensation, not job availability

Compensation has gone up. There are jobs for anyone who wants one.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3455 on: January 23, 2024, 08:45:57 PM »
Compensation has gone up. There are jobs for anyone who wants one.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3456 on: January 23, 2024, 10:33:37 PM »
Does anyone own single stocks for dividends? I am all index funds right now but thinking about branching out with some dividend stocks. Just curious if anyone is also doing this.

Dividend Growth Investing - which does exactly what you describe - is my primary investing method. I own roughly 50 individual stocks.

I would never claim it's the best strategy for everybody, but it can be an effective one for those who want a relatively low-volatility way to grow an income stream while also generating competitive total return over the long term.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3457 on: January 24, 2024, 09:19:55 AM »
Dividend Growth Investing - which does exactly what you describe - is my primary investing method. I own roughly 50 individual stocks.

I would never claim it's the best strategy for everybody, but it can be an effective one for those who want a relatively low-volatility way to grow an income stream while also generating competitive total return over the long term.

Care to share some of your stocks picks? Haha

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3458 on: January 24, 2024, 09:50:55 AM »
Care to share some of your stocks picks? Haha

PMed you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3459 on: January 25, 2024, 08:32:31 AM »
Musk sold billions of dollars worth of Tesla stock to help pay for his acquisition of Twitter -- an overpriced company he didn't even want -- and now he's trying to strong-arm the Tesla board into giving him billions of dollars worth of Tesla stock. Threatening to develop new AI products outside of Tesla, Musk is basically blackballing the company he built.

TSLA had a poor earnings report after market close yesterday and opened this morning down about 9%, back well under $200/share.

As a TSLA shareholder, it's uncomfortable having such an unstable megalomaniac at the helm.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3460 on: January 25, 2024, 08:48:12 AM »
Blackmailing, not blackballing.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #3461 on: January 25, 2024, 09:13:46 AM »
Another horrendous economic report.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3462 on: January 25, 2024, 09:30:35 AM »
Another horrendous economic report.

But what about all of those articles and tweets from perma-bear economists? lol

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3463 on: January 25, 2024, 10:00:05 AM »
Blackmailing, not blackballing.

Another hilarious autocorrect. Another one too funny to change!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3464 on: January 25, 2024, 10:26:05 AM »
Musk sold billions of dollars worth of Tesla stock to help pay for his acquisition of Twitter -- an overpriced company he didn't even want -- and now he's trying to strong-arm the Tesla board into giving him billions of dollars worth of Tesla stock. Threatening to develop new AI products outside of Tesla, Musk is basically blackballing the company he built.

TSLA had a poor earnings report after market close yesterday and opened this morning down about 9%, back well under $200/share.

As a TSLA shareholder, it's uncomfortable having such an unstable megalomaniac at the helm.

Honestly, feelingss about Musk and his political views/social views/etc... aside, my biggest concern as a TSLA shareholder or stakeholder would just be how thin he's spread.  It was the same was as Jack Dorsey running both TWTR and Square/Block.

Doofuses on social media like to pretend CEOs don't do anything or they aren't valuable, but everyone in this thread is business savvy and knowledgeable enough to know that isn't true at all.  Especially for a huge public company doing billions of dollars in revenue.  How can you be truly efficient and exemplary looking after multiple at a time.  This isn't a portfolio company with a couple businesses underneath.  Musk being CEO of SpaceX and TSLA, in addition to his other smaller ventures, was a huge ask.  Adding X into it is absurd from a personal/mental resource perspective.  Then you add all the other non-business complications he causes and invites.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3465 on: January 25, 2024, 10:28:14 AM »
Honestly, feelingss about Musk and his political views/social views/etc... aside, my biggest concern as a TSLA shareholder or stakeholder would just be how thin he's spread.  It was the same was as Jack Dorsey running both TWTR and Square/Block.

Doofuses on social media like to pretend CEOs don't do anything or they aren't valuable, but everyone in this thread is business savvy and knowledgeable enough to know that isn't true at all.  Especially for a huge public company doing billions of dollars in revenue.  How can you be truly efficient and exemplary looking after multiple at a time.  This isn't a portfolio company with a couple businesses underneath.  Musk being CEO of SpaceX and TSLA, in addition to his other smaller ventures, was a huge ask.  Adding X into it is absurd from a personal/mental resource perspective.  Then you add all the other non-business complications he causes and invites.

Agree.

That he often sounds unhinged is the cherry on top.

He generally has been a very good steward for TSLA and SpaceX.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #3466 on: January 25, 2024, 11:14:49 AM »
Elon prevented me from buying TSLA early on. I didn’t think he was concerned enough about  shareholders; too product focused and betting the company over and over on difficult engineering and manufacturing leaps. They worked and he was right. But he is still a wild card. He is a visionary, and can drive people to produce and a risk taker, but just is a mental mess as well.

I won’t sell what I have, I won’t buy more now. I think  there should be a lower entry pint over the next 12 to 18 months.  Then buy. Believe in TSLA long term unless the Chinese can sell freely in the US or Europe, then it’s not going to be good for any US car company.

They will sell 2M plus cars this year, at lower prices and same or lower margins. The cyber truck will sell at higher margins and as many as they can produce. The problem is that the Cybertruck ramp up will likely be slow and so they won’t sell as many as they could. Again, Ellen doing the difficult and recreating the engineering and manufacturing wheels.

The catalyst comes in about 2 years with the new platform and higher volume cyber production.  Must is always over optimistic, so I’m thinking 2026 for the new platform and then a year to ramp up. They will sell a lot of cars 3 years from now. But the lull for the next 12 to 18 months should hurt the stock until they prove high volume cyber production and introduce the new platform.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3467 on: January 25, 2024, 12:48:34 PM »
A lot of good insight there, GOO.

As I write this, TSLA is down more than 12% to about $182. Criminy.

Meanwhile, on a more fun note ...

Ever since Douchey dared Scoopers to buy doomed DIS on Sept. 8, it's up 15%; it's crushing SPY and even beating QQQ.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3468 on: January 25, 2024, 01:15:08 PM »
Economy is boiling again, quick glance looks like growth stocks behaving like rates are going to get hiked again. Wouldn't be surprised.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3469 on: January 25, 2024, 01:34:31 PM »
A lot 3.-somethings right now.
3.-something unemployment
3.-something inflation
3.- something growth over the 4th quarter of 2023.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3470 on: January 25, 2024, 10:06:49 PM »
A lot 3.-somethings right now.
3.-something unemployment
3.-something inflation
3.- something growth over the 4th quarter of 2023.

Even Ben Gold hit 3 3s!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3471 on: January 28, 2024, 10:27:48 AM »
The economy is great

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rent-homelessness-harvard-report-center-for-housing-studies/

Record number of Americans are homeless amid nationwide surge in rent, report finds

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #3472 on: January 28, 2024, 11:07:20 AM »
The economy is great

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rent-homelessness-harvard-report-center-for-housing-studies/

The cause is greed - not the economy. Corporate interests have realized that rent is one more area where less fortunate people can be screwed over and have jumped at the chance to be the screwer rather than the screwee.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3473 on: January 28, 2024, 11:10:30 AM »
I volunteer with a group that works with homeless that do not, or cannot, stay at shelters. Number of reasons why they chose not to visit shelters and not really important. That said, the number of people being served/taken care of is up almost 100% since last year.

It is amazing that in many of our suburban communities there are homeless people. Some of their creativity on shelter is impressive. The group I am helping is now covering a very big part of MKE county.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 11:28:12 AM by Goose »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3474 on: January 28, 2024, 11:41:02 AM »
I volunteer with a group that works with homeless that do not, or cannot, stay at shelters. Number of reasons why they chose not to visit shelters and not really important. That said, the number of people being served/taken care of is up almost 100% since last year.

It is amazing that in many of our suburban communities there are homeless people. Some of their creativity on shelter is impressive. The group I am helping is now covering a very big part of MKE county.

Thanks for your time/effort, G