[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Investing Thread  (Read 299178 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Investing Thread
« Reply #3050 on: November 30, 2023, 08:09:18 AM »
So.......panic?

Yes, I can’t find coffee
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3051 on: November 30, 2023, 08:29:39 AM »
Yes, I can’t find coffee
Biden's fault
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #3052 on: November 30, 2023, 10:47:41 AM »
The way 2023 has gone I get quite worried how the American public will handle the next actual prolonged economic downturn.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #3053 on: November 30, 2023, 07:01:15 PM »
The number one item I wanted to know about the cybertruck was the drag coefficient. Reported as .335. Very very good. Love the style or hate it, its form in fact does serve a purpose. That was my number one question  Pushing a lot less air than its perceived rivals that favor traditional style over function/efficiency.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3054 on: December 01, 2023, 06:48:01 AM »
The number one item I wanted to know about the cybertruck was the drag coefficient. Reported as .335. Very very good. Love the style or hate it, its form in fact does serve a purpose. That was my number one question  Pushing a lot less air than its perceived rivals that favor traditional style over function/efficiency.

It looks like a pinewood derby car

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3055 on: December 01, 2023, 06:55:33 AM »
It looks like a pinewood derby car
It looks like something designed by a 4th grader using Minecraft.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3056 on: December 01, 2023, 08:54:35 AM »
TSLA, which was down about 2% yesterday, is down another 2.5% today.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3057 on: December 01, 2023, 08:55:39 AM »
TSLA, which was down about 2% yesterday, is down another 2.5% today.

Good to see the market punish anti-semites
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3058 on: December 01, 2023, 09:15:52 AM »
Musk acknowledged that the Cybertruck was going to be an albatross.  It achieved very few stated goals.   Range, price, capability, all came up short.   Meanwhile, the big 3 and Rivian all beat it to market.    There is every chance the Cybertruck will be Tesla's Edsel.   And they invested so much into it at the expense of improving and updating their existing vehicles and battery technology.   
     As a car company, Tesla is going to need to improve.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3059 on: December 01, 2023, 09:40:20 AM »
Ford also blew its chance with the Lightning, which is a shame. They could have had a several-hundred-thousand EV truck headstart, which would have hurt Musk's "truck" even more. But Ford couldn't overcome numerous problems, and EVs as a whole have been bigly money-losers for the company.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3060 on: December 01, 2023, 09:50:15 AM »
It looks like something designed by a 4th grader using Minecraft.
That's about where Musk is these days
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3061 on: December 01, 2023, 09:53:15 AM »
Ford also blew its chance with the Lightning, which is a shame. They could have had a several-hundred-thousand EV truck headstart, which would have hurt Musk's "truck" even more. But Ford couldn't overcome numerous problems, and EVs as a whole have been bigly money-losers for the company.
Ford has, on paper, an amazing portfolio of cars.   They are plagued by quality control, electrical, and service issues.    You are correct, they had the opportunity to end this and channeled their 'same old Lions' and let it get away.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3062 on: December 01, 2023, 12:18:12 PM »
GM: "We can't afford to pay our factory workers more money! We'll go bankrupt!"

3 months later...

GM: "We'd like to announce $10bil in stock buybacks"

GOO

• All American
« Reply #3063 on: December 01, 2023, 12:55:59 PM »
Musk acknowledged that the Cybertruck was going to be an albatross.  It achieved very few stated goals.   Range, price, capability, all came up short.   Meanwhile, the big 3 and Rivian all beat it to market.    There is every chance the Cybertruck will be Tesla's Edsel.   And they invested so much into it at the expense of improving and updating their existing vehicles and battery technology.   
     As a car company, Tesla is going to need to improve.

If you follow Tesla this is how every car intro Tesla has made works.

Perfect description: “It looks like a pinewood derby car”

It will be interesting to see if trucks change their shape to be more efficient. I doubt it in the short term, but cars sure have. Not the square boxes I grew up with. So long term trucks are likely forced to adapt. I will say this for the cybertruck, I could see Arnold types driving this and other “bad a..” types. I wouldn’t write it off just yet. But definitely not an F150 killer

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3064 on: December 01, 2023, 01:06:09 PM »
  You think the types who gravitated to the original Hummer will want this electric truck.   A bold thought.   Still never takes it past niche.   But that really isn't the point.  Way overpromised, way underdelivered.  For twice the original projected price.   

The battery technology is racing forward to end range anxiety.   The infrastructure is not.   Ironically, Tesla is still far ahead in charger efficiency.   They have an opportunity there, if they can take it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3065 on: December 02, 2023, 03:26:37 PM »
Offered with a grain of salt for those interested ...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3066 on: December 05, 2023, 09:22:31 AM »
Costco (COST) broke through $600 for the first time.

It's been "extremely overvalued" for years - at $300 and $400 and $500 and now $600.

I do own a decent-sized position, but as always I sure wish I had more. Best business model in all of retail.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3067 on: December 08, 2023, 11:51:20 AM »
Job growth still up, unemployment still too low. Rate hikes on the horizon? Or just seasonal staffing bumps?

Lots of big shops have raced back into equities that I like: Pre-profit growth stage tech companies. That makes be think that lots of folk are betting that rake hikes are done.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3068 on: December 08, 2023, 12:07:05 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3069 on: December 08, 2023, 12:16:33 PM »
Job growth still up, unemployment still too low. Rate hikes on the horizon? Or just seasonal staffing bumps?

Lots of big shops have raced back into equities that I like: Pre-profit growth stage tech companies. That makes be think that lots of folk are betting that rake hikes are done.

I still think we've hit the end of the hike cycle, but it might take a little longer for them to come back down. There had been hope for lower rates starting in March, but maybe not till summer later?

A pretty big chunk of the job gains are attributed to striking auto workers returning, so we'll see what future months look like.

I'm not piling $$$ into the market, but I'm not really selling, either. Of course, I'm a boring, conservative, buy-and-holdish investor anyway.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3070 on: December 08, 2023, 12:29:50 PM »
I still think we've hit the end of the hike cycle, but it might take a little longer for them to come back down. There had been hope for lower rates starting in March, but maybe not till summer later?

A pretty big chunk of the job gains are attributed to striking auto workers returning, so we'll see what future months look like.

I'm not piling $$$ into the market, but I'm not really selling, either. Of course, I'm a boring, conservative, buy-and-holdish investor anyway.

Yeah same. The time to buy is when I have money laying around which is monthly. I don't time my buys, but it's fun to discuss.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3071 on: December 08, 2023, 12:49:00 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/12/08/excess-profits-of-big-firms-have-driven-up-inflation-report-claims.html

Another report pointing to price gouging as a factor in inflation
Greedflation is certainly a component.  Along with a war in Ukraine, the Saudis choosing to help Putin on fuel output, lingering supply issues post COVID and pent up demand post COVID. 
 IMO, A component, not THE component.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3072 on: December 08, 2023, 12:53:11 PM »
Greedflation is certainly a component.  Along with a war in Ukraine, the Saudis choosing to help Putin on fuel output, lingering supply issues post COVID and pent up demand post COVID. 
 IMO, A component, not THE component.

What about the direct stimulus payments to US citizens?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3073 on: December 08, 2023, 12:54:33 PM »
What about the direct stimulus payments to US citizens?

lol

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3074 on: December 08, 2023, 12:55:13 PM »
Like Majerus dropping 5 lbs.

Edit:  I forgot about the upward pressure on wages with near full employment.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 12:57:58 PM by tower912 »