[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Investing Thread  (Read 298660 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Investing Thread
« Reply #2775 on: August 03, 2023, 06:27:43 PM »
Zaslav is an ass. Remove him and the company has a chance to turn it around.
Story on Quarterly Earnings. Barbie will kick in next quarter.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/warner-bros-discovery-streaming-profit-subscribers-cost-savings-debt-1235548582/amp/
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2776 on: August 04, 2023, 05:24:55 PM »
Bad news.  JP Morgan says no recession coming
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2777 on: August 05, 2023, 06:31:28 AM »
Personally, I am more concerned about the chance of a recession now than I was back when Dimon and a slew of others were calling it. I just think the Fed has continued to raise rates for too long and the full effects are still working their way into the economy.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2778 on: August 05, 2023, 09:45:05 AM »
Personally, I am more concerned about the chance of a recession now than I was back when Dimon and a slew of others were calling it. I just think the Fed has continued to raise rates for too long and the full effects are still working their way into the economy.

I like the contrarian take.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2779 on: August 07, 2023, 10:20:43 AM »

BGWOAF, BFWOAG

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2780 on: August 07, 2023, 03:35:54 PM »
Barbie passes $1Billion worldwide also WBD to offer sports streaming  tier.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/08/07/warner-bros-discovery-targets-max-streaming-sports-tier-for-october.html
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2781 on: August 08, 2023, 02:17:21 PM »
Just read today that credit card debt topped $1 trillion for the first time and hardship withdrawals from 401k's is up 36% over a year ago. These are both troubling reports, and sadly, shows how fragile the economy is and what may have been driving the economy over the past year, IMO.

I know I am in minority on here, but I firmly believe that this economy has been very fragile since the start of the pandemic and needs to be watched closely. I will add, since it seems like I am the only on here that thinks the economy is currently in a dangerous spot, that I more concerned than I was a year ago on the economy.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2782 on: August 08, 2023, 02:43:17 PM »
Just read today that credit card debt topped $1 trillion for the first time and hardship withdrawals from 401k's is up 36% over a year ago. These are both troubling reports, and sadly, shows how fragile the economy is and what may have been driving the economy over the past year, IMO.

I know I am in minority on here, but I firmly believe that this economy has been very fragile since the start of the pandemic and needs to be watched closely. I will add, since it seems like I am the only on here that thinks the economy is currently in a dangerous spot, that I more concerned than I was a year ago on the economy.

Huh?
Virtually everyone believes the economy has been fragile since the start of the pandemic and needs to be watched closely.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2783 on: August 08, 2023, 02:46:28 PM »
No inflation...nothin' ta cee heer, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2784 on: August 08, 2023, 02:50:33 PM »
No inflation...nothin' ta cee heer, aina?

Another thing no one here said.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2785 on: August 08, 2023, 03:29:42 PM »

You can view the credit card debt in several different lenses....consumer spending fuels the economy, so from a macro perspective, there are positives (obviously from a personal finance perspective it is not a good thing). $1 trillion is a big number but inflation adjusted, is it really that much higher than other recent time periods?

The 401k stat is much more concerning, and is surprising given how low unemployment is. Why are people with jobs pulling from their 401k for hardships? That one puzzles me a bit.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2786 on: August 08, 2023, 03:34:06 PM »
You can view the credit card debt in several different lenses....consumer spending fuels the economy, so from a macro perspective, there are positives (obviously from a personal finance perspective it is not a good thing). $1 trillion is a big number but inflation adjusted, is it really that much higher than other recent time periods?

The 401k stat is much more concerning, and is surprising given how low unemployment is. Why are people with jobs pulling from their 401k for hardships? That one puzzles me a bit.

Because true wages are down when adjusted for inflation?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2787 on: August 08, 2023, 03:45:12 PM »
Another thing no one here said.

Nah, right from the horse's mouth, hey?

#GodsavetheQueen
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2788 on: August 08, 2023, 04:03:22 PM »
Yeah I'm starting to lose the thread on the popular understanding of when profiteering is a feature and when its a bug.  Like, we don't have anyone price gouging on bottles of water in a disaster or anything like that right now.  So barring monopolistic activity or price fixing, shouldn't everyone be charging as much for whatever they're selling as they can?

+1. To comrade jesmu profiting and profiteering are essentially the same thing.

BLM4EVA

• Walk-On
« Reply #2789 on: August 08, 2023, 04:06:21 PM »

Nah, right from the horse's mouth, hey?

#GodsavetheQueen
No inflation, cancer cured, I LOVE BIDENOMICS!!! Gimme more

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2790 on: August 08, 2023, 04:12:18 PM »
Pakuni

Ok, for some odd reason I thought I was told multiple times that my concern over the economy was unfounded. Glad to hear I was not the only one concerned.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2791 on: August 08, 2023, 04:17:48 PM »
Pakuni

Ok, for some odd reason I thought I was told multiple times that my concern over the economy was unfounded. Glad to hear I was not the only one concerned.

The economy is still overheating. Inflation over the past 1-2 years was higher for longer than you'd like and unemployment is back to being too low. That's why the Fed is raising rates. We're finally getting GDP YoY growth back down to normal levels.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2792 on: August 08, 2023, 04:30:15 PM »
Pakuni

I recall plenty of discussion and differing opinions on the severity of the economic downturn, the long-term impacts of inflation and the pandemic, the likelihood of recession, the proper response from the government and the Fed, etc.
I recall no one saying "The economy is fine. No need to even pay attention."
If I'm wrong, I'm sure you can dig up the receipts.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2793 on: August 08, 2023, 04:52:42 PM »
We're doing spectacularly compared to Argentina.  Wow....just wow.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2794 on: August 08, 2023, 05:11:39 PM »

We're doing well vs the field. Check this out if you missed it a couple of days ago - https://www.ft.com/content/088d3368-bb8b-4ff3-9df7-a7680d4d81b2

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2795 on: August 08, 2023, 05:12:11 PM »
We're doing spectacularly compared almost all of the rest of the world (but yeah, Argentina is a cluskerunnatural carnal knowledge).  But I reiterate my recent concerns that the Fed is overshooting and risking reversing that.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2796 on: August 08, 2023, 05:24:40 PM »
+1. To comrade jesmu profiting and profiteering are essentially the same thing.

Source?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2797 on: August 08, 2023, 05:25:28 PM »

Economy for the bottom 50% is teetering on calamity.

At least the stocks are up!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2798 on: August 08, 2023, 05:33:46 PM »
We're doing spectacularly compared almost all of the rest of the world (but yeah, Argentina is a cluskerunnatural carnal knowledge).  But I reiterate my recent concerns that the Fed is overshooting and risking reversing that.

Argentina should be an economic powerhouse.  What a terribly sad history there. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2799 on: August 08, 2023, 06:31:09 PM »
Argentina should be an economic powerhouse.  What a terribly sad history there.

At least we didn't contribute to that sad history

feedback