[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Investing Thread  (Read 297796 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Investing Thread
« Reply #2550 on: April 20, 2023, 08:55:59 AM »
TSLA getting hammered today after a disappointing earnings report, as repeated price cuts are affecting profits.

Musk also has decided to pick a Twitter-related fight (he almost surely can't win) with Microsoft. The Twitter distraction continues to hurt the companies he actually wants to own.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2551 on: April 20, 2023, 10:17:07 AM »
Rough day for Elon.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2552 on: April 20, 2023, 10:30:59 AM »
Rough day for Elon.

Well, he's painting the explosion of his SpaceX rocket right just minutes after launch as a rousing success.

"Congrats SpaceX team on an exciting test launch of Starship!" Musk tweeted. "Learned a lot for next test launch in a few months."

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3958267-elon-musks-spacex-starship-rocket-explodes-minutes-after-launch

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2553 on: April 20, 2023, 10:42:37 AM »
Well, he's painting the explosion of his SpaceX rocket right just minutes after launch as a rousing success.

"Congrats SpaceX team on an exciting test launch of Starship!" Musk tweeted. "Learned a lot for next test launch in a few months."

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3958267-elon-musks-spacex-starship-rocket-explodes-minutes-after-launch

Technically, he’s correct.  Expectations on these launches, especially in their infancy at this capacity, should be quite low.  He said 50/50 but I bet his engineers thoughts were much lower.  He has plenty of government cheese to burn through
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2554 on: April 20, 2023, 10:57:50 AM »

I get that you don't like him, but it was unquestionably a successful launch.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2555 on: April 20, 2023, 11:09:49 AM »

It definitely wasn't a complete failure, but neither was it a unquestionable success. There were a list of objectives, some of which were achieved, some of which were not.

Even the SpaceX twitter account made a joke about how it didn't go as planned.

@SpaceX
As if the flight test was not exciting enough, Starship experienced a rapid unscheduled disassembly before stage separation

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2556 on: April 20, 2023, 11:33:24 AM »
It definitely wasn't a complete failure, but neither was it a unquestionable success. There were a list of objectives, some of which were achieved, some of which were not.

Even the SpaceX twitter account made a joke about how it didn't go as planned.

@SpaceX
As if the flight test was not exciting enough, Starship experienced a rapid unscheduled disassembly before stage separation

It was the first time that bad boy was every launched and it didn't blow up on the platform. 

I'm guessing that they were *hoping* for a perfect launch, but not everything has to go perfectly to consider a launch a success.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2557 on: April 20, 2023, 11:36:43 AM »
It was the first time that bad boy was every launched and it didn't blow up on the platform. 

I'm guessing that they were *hoping* for a perfect launch, but not everything has to go perfectly to consider a launch a success.

Agreed.  Just go watch footage of early NASA launches.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2558 on: April 20, 2023, 03:20:18 PM »

I actually think Musk is a visionary but I think he's let his vision get blurred. And as a TSLA investor -- which is what this thread is supposed to be about -- I don't like that.

Obviously, I'm not a rocket scientist. If that launch was a success, OK, I defer to you and others who say it was.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2559 on: April 20, 2023, 07:53:00 PM »
Ok ok enough from you amateur newbies…wouldja all said the same at kitty hawk back in 1903? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2560 on: April 21, 2023, 05:42:20 AM »

A lot of Musk haters on Twitter became rocket experts this week

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2561 on: April 21, 2023, 06:11:38 AM »

Which is funny because from what I understand he is barely involved at Space X.  Of course he has a lot of his money invested, but he doesn't manage it in the way he does his other companies.  He's much more involved at Tesla... and obviously Twitter.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2562 on: April 21, 2023, 07:16:11 AM »
ya had to love how they described the success/failure of the space x launch however-

"a rapid unscheduled disassembly"

probably could use that for a lot of things
don't...don't don't don't don't

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2563 on: April 21, 2023, 07:56:05 AM »

Same for the fanboys.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2564 on: April 21, 2023, 10:02:06 AM »
After numerous price cuts, including earlier this week, now Musk is raising prices on a couple models (S and X). Oy, my head hurts.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2565 on: April 21, 2023, 10:17:47 AM »
ya had to love how they described the success/failure of the space x launch however-

"a rapid unscheduled disassembly"

probably could use that for a lot of things

Yeah that was a clever turn of phrase.

Happy for the successful SpaceX launch yesterday. American industry doing well is good for America, hopefully SpaceX continues to dominate in their field.

Also, Musk is a nutter and his companies would be doing better under different leadership. I hesitate to invest with him, he can't seem to keep his emotions in check. That's not what I look for in a leadership team.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2566 on: April 21, 2023, 10:29:46 AM »
Also, Musk is a nutter and his companies would be doing better under different leadership. I hesitate to invest with him, he can't seem to keep his emotions in check. That's not what I look for in a leadership team.

Like many visionaries, he's extremely eccentric, but I totally agree with you.

I do own some TSLA and I have considered buying this post-earnings dip, but I'm hesitant because we just don't know what kind of silliness is around the corner. I try to remove emotion from my investing; it would be great for TSLA shareholders if Musk could remove -- or at least tamp down -- emotions from his managing.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2567 on: April 21, 2023, 10:45:48 AM »
Yeah that was a clever turn of phrase.

Happy for the successful SpaceX launch yesterday. American industry doing well is good for America, hopefully SpaceX continues to dominate in their field.

Catturd for CEO of Twitter!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2568 on: April 21, 2023, 02:04:48 PM »
Catturd for CEO of Twitter!

Catturd has a blue check, that mean's they're reputable (and have $8).

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2569 on: April 21, 2023, 02:27:04 PM »
Catturd has a blue check, that mean's they're reputable (and have $8).

Or a certain someone is picking up the tab.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2570 on: April 21, 2023, 11:29:24 PM »
Like many visionaries, he's extremely eccentric, but I totally agree with you.
He's well beyond eccentric, pushing toward Howard Hughes territory. I don't know if Hughes was a complete a-hole or not like Musk.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2571 on: April 22, 2023, 12:07:43 AM »
He's well beyond eccentric, pushing toward Howard Hughes territory. I don't know if Hughes was a complete a-hole or not like Musk.

Hughes makes Musk look like a Teddy Bear in comparison.  Ruined peoples lives who opposed him, in ways beyond just internet jabs or slander, and actually murdered multiple people.  The Aviator didn’t show that part

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2572 on: April 22, 2023, 12:27:23 PM »
I actually think Musk is a visionary but I think he's let his vision get blurred. And as a TSLA investor -- which is what this thread is supposed to be about -- I don't like that.

Obviously, I'm not a rocket scientist. If that launch was a success, OK, I defer to you and others who say it was.

Visionary is too kind. Tesla was a visionary...Edison not so much. Tesla is more like Edison, and that isn't a compliment. And Musk is still no where near the inventor that Edison was, he just contains the same determination and dedication to dominating a business area.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2573 on: April 24, 2023, 03:31:31 AM »
Visionary is too kind. Tesla was a visionary...Edison not so much. Tesla is more like Edison, and that isn't a compliment. And Musk is still no where near the inventor that Edison was, he just contains the same determination and dedication to dominating a business area.

SpaceX is visionary.  TSLA's vision for battery technology is visionary.  He can be an a**hat and a petty douche and still be visionary in the way he's looked at things.  If you want to argue he no longer is a visionary, I wouldn't oppose you at all.  But I think its a very fair label for the Musk of the late 90s into the early 2010s as such.

But then again, you're on record as thinking he's not particularly intelligent so its probably an unsellable argument.

I do find it funny, for all his faults, that detractors of Musk are so quick to downplay his achievments by saying he wasn't the one engineering it, or he was just capitalizing on the inventions of others, etc...but the same people likely fawned over the VISIONARY Steve Jobs and what genius he was when he couldn't tell you what 90% of the stuff on a circuit board was and never programmed a line of Apple code.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2574 on: April 24, 2023, 12:38:27 PM »
SpaceX is visionary.  TSLA's vision for battery technology is visionary.  He can be an a**hat and a petty douche and still be visionary in the way he's looked at things.  If you want to argue he no longer is a visionary, I wouldn't oppose you at all.  But I think its a very fair label for the Musk of the late 90s into the early 2010s as such.

But then again, you're on record as thinking he's not particularly intelligent so its probably an unsellable argument.

I do find it funny, for all his faults, that detractors of Musk are so quick to downplay his achievments by saying he wasn't the one engineering it, or he was just capitalizing on the inventions of others, etc...but the same people likely fawned over the VISIONARY Steve Jobs and what genius he was when he couldn't tell you what 90% of the stuff on a circuit board was and never programmed a line of Apple code.

All true.