collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Investing Thread  (Read 297229 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Investing Thread
« Reply #2400 on: February 16, 2023, 11:56:08 AM »
Gotcha, not to go off topic 😂, but I’ve kept my eye on ioniq 5 and ID.4 which are both similar sized to the Mach-e

IMO, skip the ID4 for sure. At least wait for the audi Q4

MachE...eh. Think the I5 and EV6 are better cars and better EVs in nearly every way

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2401 on: February 16, 2023, 11:59:27 AM »

MachE...eh. Think the I5 and EV6 are better cars and better EVs in nearly every way

Thanks!  Haven't seen on I6 yet in person, but online  8-) 8-) 8-)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2402 on: February 16, 2023, 12:06:33 PM »
Saw my first Lucid Air on 294 yesterday.    Looked gooooooood.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2403 on: February 16, 2023, 06:42:44 PM »
I've owned one for exactly 51 weeks. AMA

Sounds like you've liked it?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2404 on: February 16, 2023, 07:21:25 PM »
Sounds like you've liked it?

There are a couple EV specific things missing. But it's nit-picking.

Love it

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2405 on: February 16, 2023, 08:53:06 PM »
Thanks!  Haven't seen on I6 yet in person, but online  8-) 8-) 8-)

I like the i6 cockpit significantly better than the i5

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2406 on: February 16, 2023, 08:53:28 PM »
Saw my first Lucid Air on 294 yesterday.    Looked gooooooood.

You would hope so, considering the price

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2407 on: February 16, 2023, 09:15:07 PM »

Out or curiosity, what is your issue with the ID.4?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2408 on: February 17, 2023, 12:41:30 PM »
I live in Lake County IL and see Lucids and Rivians constantly, and have been seeing them for at least the last 6 months.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2409 on: February 17, 2023, 12:55:25 PM »
I see Rivians everywhere.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2410 on: February 17, 2023, 01:04:54 PM »
Rivians are available to their factory employees (Bloomington, IL) at a huge discount. The employees purchase the car and the company reimburses a portion of their monthly payment for 2 years.

Most of the owners I've spoken to at charging stations will  be selling them once their discount ends.

Said another way...there will be a lot of rivians on the used market in 1-2 years

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2411 on: February 17, 2023, 02:54:03 PM »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2412 on: February 17, 2023, 03:01:53 PM »
I see Rivians everywhere.
Their stock prices suck

GOO

• All American
« Reply #2413 on: February 18, 2023, 08:15:01 AM »
For now there is one clear winner in the EV space, the Model 3, for a lot of reasons. But one would want the long range (AWD) for colder areas or snowy areas. But the catch is you have to want a sedan, you can’t even order a long range one now due to backlog, and even if you could order now you should wait for the refresh later this year.  For overall the winner for now. Even consumer reports just said so.

The legacy and newer companies are getting there, but have continued problems, except that Kia/Hyundai are ahead of the other legacy manufacturers at least as far as batteries, efficiency, charging, and ev drive trains go.  And coolness :)   Nissan is okay in that regard for shorter trips and a city car, no coolness and less practical for an only car for someone who drives a lot or some distances. VW has been beset with problems, probably came out with cars to fast due to scandal and switch to trying to become an ev company at scale. VW might be the first to market with a 25k decent ev. Hopefully they get it right. That would be really nice to have a solid 25k option before Tesla and others get there. Need competition.

So in the more affordable class you’re kind of stuck with Kia/Hyundai, model 3 or Y for now. Or pay a lot more for not more other than style and status if that’s your thing.

Model 3 is the safe choice and the one I’d go with if I were looking later this year after the refresh. But would consider the others mentioned in this thread Re Hyundai Kia.  Nice to at least have competition for Tesla and need more to keep prices down and drive them even lower.  Tesla making major advances on battery costs at scale, so that will help their margins, but they won’t lower prices without competition pushing them.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 08:45:24 AM by GOO »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2414 on: February 18, 2023, 08:51:49 AM »
For now there is one clear winner in the EV space, the Model 3, for a lot of reasons. But one would want the long range (AWD) for colder areas or snowy areas. But the catch is you have to want a sedan, you can’t even order a long range one now due to backlog, and even if you could order now you should wait for the refresh later this year.  For overall the winner for now. Even consumer reports just said so.

The legacy and newer companies are getting there, but have continued problems, except that Kia/Hyundai are ahead of the other legacy manufacturers at least as far as batteries, efficiency, charging, and ev drive trains go.  And coolness :)   Nissan is okay in that regard for shorter trips and a city car, no coolness and less practical for an only car for someone who drives a lot or some distances. VW has been beset with problems, probably came out with cars to fast due to scandal and switch to trying to become an ev company at scale. VW might be the first to market with a 25k decent ev. Hopefully they get it right. That would be really nice to have a solid 25k option before Tesla and others get there. Need competition.

So in the more affordable class you’re kind of stuck with Kia/Hyundai, model 3 or Y for now. Or pay a lot more for not more other than style and status if that’s your thing.

Model 3 is the safe choice and the one I’d go with if I were looking later this year after the refresh. But would consider the others mentioned in this thread Re Hyundai Kia.  Nice to at least have competition for Tesla and need more to keep prices down and drive them even lower.  Tesla making major advances on battery costs at scale, so that will help their margins, but they won’t lower prices without competition pushing them.

I disagree

GOO

• All American
« Reply #2415 on: February 18, 2023, 09:25:56 AM »
Good. And I like the short response. Neither of us needs to waste more time.

Edit as I had to post quickly: Good because there can be a legitimate discussion and that wasn’t the case less than 2 years ago, and the discussion is not “ev vehicles suck and and worse for the environment etc than a gas F150” but rather about which ev is better.  And yes, there are some very inefficient ev’s that should be avoided.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 09:57:00 AM by GOO »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2416 on: February 18, 2023, 10:22:19 AM »
Good. And I like the short response. Neither of us needs to waste more time.

Edit as I had to post quickly: Good because there can be a legitimate discussion and that wasn’t the case less than 2 years ago, and the discussion is not “ev vehicles suck and and worse for the environment etc than a gas F150” but rather about which ev is better.  And yes, there are some very inefficient ev’s that should be avoided.

Agreed to all.

Model 3 just ain't my cup of tea design/style-wise. Their drivetrain in unparalleled in efficiency and the outside-the-home charging is unmatched in spread and reliability.

When a company makes an inefficient EV, it's clearly just a compliance vehicle meant to bring the fleet in line with regulations. Looking at you, Mazda.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2417 on: February 22, 2023, 09:23:35 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 11:09:12 AM by rocky_warrior »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2418 on: February 22, 2023, 10:10:14 AM »
i see ya got your fix in under the guise of, i don't know, investing?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2419 on: March 12, 2023, 01:44:22 PM »
There is a great deal of turbulence coming to the markets. I believe the Fed and government has been out of touch in handling this economy. First the FDIC only guarantee $250k is beyond insane. Secondly, I do not believe the average American has been educated on the risks that are out there.

Unfortunately, I think tomorrow will be a day that will be focused on the banking sector and the overall economy, not MU basketball for this guy.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2420 on: March 12, 2023, 01:56:06 PM »
There is a great deal of turbulence coming to the markets. I believe the Fed and government has been out of touch in handling this economy. First the FDIC only guarantee $250k is beyond insane. Secondly, I do not believe the average American has been educated on the risks that are out there.

Unfortunately, I think tomorrow will be a day that will be focused on the banking sector and the overall economy, not MU basketball for this guy.

So the Fed has been raising rates to try to curtail high inflation and an overheating economy with record employment. What do you think the Fed/gov't should be doing instead to rein in inflation?

How is the Fed doing what they can to curtail inflation related to the last administration deregulating banks with under $250B in holdings, leading to the recent failure of SVB going into FDIC receivership?

Do you think that the asset sale of SVB will take too long to make their depositors whole? What risks do you to the larger banking sector, especially when the medium and big boys are regulated totally differently and don't have the same risks?

Edit: I disagree with you but I'm not trying to pick a fight. Just curious how people view this thing since the market is an emotional beast.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2421 on: March 12, 2023, 01:58:46 PM »
Goose, the FDIC guarantee is $500K for a couple with a joint account. It's also $500K or $250K per account, not per person. So an individual who is lucky enough to have, say, $5 million cash can fully insure every penny of it if he or she spreads it around between 20 banks. (Or 10 for a couple.)

I'll let others debate the condition of the economy -- but just wanted to include that about FDIC insurance.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2422 on: March 12, 2023, 02:02:15 PM »

There are thousands of companies with millions in deposits, and that is the concern, imo. There has been so much money invested in start up companies that has employed an awful a lot of people. I have zero concern of average joe causing a bank run, but a lot of smart people are exposed to big risks.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2423 on: March 12, 2023, 02:13:16 PM »
Skatastrophy

I have voiced my opinion many times that I thought the Fed was way late in getting inflation tamed. I am not going to debate why the inflation has gotten out of hand, but it should not have been a surprise to the Fed.

As for overheated economy, if paying $90 rather than $60 for a couple of burgers and beer is your idea of a strong economy, we disagree on the topic. As for record employment, that is correct but warning signs there as well. A lot of high paying white collar jobs have been lost in tech and finance over the past six months and likely more to come. Maybe as early as tomorrow.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2424 on: March 12, 2023, 02:29:31 PM »
Goose, no one is paying 50% more for "a couple burgers and beer" than they were a few months ago.  You've been dooming the economy for awhile, yet...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback