collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Investing Thread  (Read 297104 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Investing Thread
« Reply #2375 on: February 06, 2023, 07:11:01 AM »
Poor little rich boy ...

“Last 3 months were extremely tough, as had to save Twitter from bankruptcy, while fulfilling essential Tesla & SpaceX duties. Wouldn’t wish that pain on anyone.”
— Elon Musk, tweeting about his workload as C.E.O. of three companies.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2376 on: February 06, 2023, 10:46:50 AM »
Poor little rich boy ...

“Last 3 months were extremely tough, as had to save Twitter from bankruptcy, while fulfilling essential Tesla & SpaceX duties. Wouldn’t wish that pain on anyone.”
— Elon Musk, tweeting about his workload as C.E.O. of three companies.

LOL.

"Had to" save Twitter. Like someone forced him and it wasn't just him trying to swing his dick around.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2377 on: February 08, 2023, 07:12:37 AM »
The Atlanta Fed’s GDPNow tracker forecasts that the U.S. will grow by 2.1 percent in the first quarter; it was predicting 0.7 percent a week ago.

Also, some bearish economists are dialing down their gloomy expectations: “A potential recession in 2023 will likely be short and shallow,” Jeffrey Roach, the chief economist for LPL Financial, wrote to investors yesterday. Goldman Sachs economists this week lowered their estimate of the likelihood of a U.S. recession to 25%.

Additionally, Mr. Market was relieved yesterday that Powell wasn't more hawkish in his comments, and recent action suggests that a "soft landing" (or at least a "softish" one) is possible in 2023.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 07:14:16 AM by MU82 »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2378 on: February 09, 2023, 07:32:20 AM »
just talked to my stock "expert" and told me some other "experts" are predicting tesla to as high as $1200

*All investors are advised to conduct their own independent research into individual stocks before making a purchase decision. In addition, investors are advised ...
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2379 on: February 09, 2023, 07:53:23 AM »
just talked to my stock "expert" and told me some other "experts" are predicting tesla to as high as $1200

*All investors are advised to conduct their own independent research into individual stocks before making a purchase decision. In addition, investors are advised ...

7 of 10

Ellipses and air quotes are good, solid and classic work.  Little less unhinged than we like however.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2380 on: February 09, 2023, 07:54:11 AM »

Did your stock expert (and the other experts) predict Tesla's fall from nearly $400 in April to about $100 last month?

If so, I'm impressed and just might believe they might have some insight into the stock's future. I'd love to see proof of that incredible forecast.

If not, what makes them more qualified to predict TSLA's price than you, me, my next door neighbor or a dart-throwing monkey?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2381 on: February 09, 2023, 09:27:15 AM »

Yeah. Inflation Reduction Act is completely juicing EVs and Solar Companies. Tesla does both. Doesn't surprise me. Elon will claim to be a genius while succeeding off the largess of the government he claims to hate. Good old "capitalism"
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 09:42:18 AM by Coleman »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2382 on: February 09, 2023, 07:24:55 PM »
Did your stock expert (and the other experts) predict Tesla's fall from nearly $400 in April to about $100 last month?

If so, I'm impressed and just might believe they might have some insight into the stock's future. I'd love to see proof of that incredible forecast.

If not, what makes them more qualified to predict TSLA's price than you, me, my next door neighbor or a dart-throwing monkey?

umm, no, but you did read the disclaimer, right?  and you did note the "..." right?  i'm just enjoying the ride up from $100 right now.  i'm sure you will be the first to let me know when this thing is supposed to go back down again though...got my finger on the button

proof?  me too

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2383 on: February 09, 2023, 07:30:42 PM »
Yeah. Inflation Reduction Act is completely juicing EVs and Solar Companies. Tesla does both. Doesn't surprise me. Elon will claim to be a genius while succeeding off the largess of the government he claims to hate. Good old "capitalism"

show me

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2384 on: February 09, 2023, 10:29:32 PM »
  umm, no, but you did read the disclaimer, right?  and you did note the "..." right?  i'm just enjoying the ride up from $100 right now.  i'm sure you will be the first to let me know when this thing is supposed to go back down again though...got my finger on the button

proof?  me too

I'm not even sure what you're claiming with these posts. It seemed you were touting your experts as reasons folks should think TSLA will skyrocket, but then you followed with this dribble.

I own TSLA, too. I'd love to see it do well.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2385 on: February 10, 2023, 07:59:58 AM »
I'm not even sure what you're claiming with these posts. It seemed you were touting your experts as reasons folks should think TSLA will skyrocket, but then you followed with this dribble.

I own TSLA, too. I'd love to see it do well.

if they predicted the fall, i wasn't privy to it as my exposure was minimal at that time

good questions-i didn't ask except my gut feeling was the same-it's too good of a company with it's position within the industry to stay beaten down.  elon isn't as dumb as some would like to believe.  until something really stupid happens to tesla, the product, it is the one to beat, the bellwether of EV's imho.  it had a head start ahead of the others.  i felt at around $100, it could at least achieve $200-300, so $1200 as crazy as it may sound, i'll temper that and take $1000

i just got the message/news from him yesterday, but i will ask what fundamentals the "experts" base their prognostication on

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2386 on: February 10, 2023, 08:12:01 AM »
if they predicted the fall, i wasn't privy to it as my exposure was minimal at that time

good questions-i didn't ask except my gut feeling was the same-it's too good of a company with it's position within the industry to stay beaten down.  elon isn't as dumb as some would like to believe.  until something really stupid happens to tesla, the product, it is the one to beat, the bellwether of EV's imho.  it had a head start ahead of the others.  i felt at around $100, it could at least achieve $200-300, so $1200 as crazy as it may sound, i'll temper that and take $1000

i just got the message/news from him yesterday, but i will ask what fundamentals the "experts" base their prognostication on

Whenever a so-called expert makes a stock prediction, my very first reaction is: "OK, what is his or her track record on stock predictions?" If he or she has a proven great record, I'm more likely to at least pay the latest prediction some mind. If not ... hell, I might do the opposite of what he or she says.

Nobody I know of believes Musk is "dumb." Some (including me and, based on his comments, Musk himself) think he might have bitten off a little more than he can chew with Twitter, a company that he didn't even want (he tried numerous times to cancel his deal) and one he bought purely out of spite. He likes to say outrageous, often contradictory or hypocritical things. But he is CEO of the top EV company in the world, and he has overseen several groundbreaking products/services. He's a lot closer to being a visionary than he is to being dumb.

Investing is about dealing with probabilities ... and I think it's probable that, 10 years from now, both you and I will be happy we invested in TSLA in the early 2020s.

I don't try to guess whether it will go to $400 or $700 or $1,000 or $1,200 or $10,000. It could. That would be great. But those are just numbers that people are blowing out their you-know-whats.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2387 on: February 10, 2023, 08:47:21 AM »
Whenever a so-called expert makes a stock prediction, my very first reaction is: "OK, what is his or her track record on stock predictions?" If he or she has a proven great record, I'm more likely to at least pay the latest prediction some mind. If not ... hell, I might do the opposite of what he or she says.

Nobody I know of believes Musk is "dumb." Some (including me and, based on his comments, Musk himself) think he might have bitten off a little more than he can chew with Twitter, a company that he didn't even want (he tried numerous times to cancel his deal) and one he bought purely out of spite. He likes to say outrageous, often contradictory or hypocritical things. But he is CEO of the top EV company in the world, and he has overseen several groundbreaking products/services. He's a lot closer to being a visionary than he is to being dumb.

Investing is about dealing with probabilities ... and I think it's probable that, 10 years from now, both you and I will be happy we invested in TSLA in the early 2020s.

I don't try to guess whether it will go to $400 or $700 or $1,000 or $1,200 or $10,000. It could. That would be great. But those are just numbers that people are blowing out their you-know-whats.

i've been using a guy from edward jones for over 20 years and he has been right more then wrong, however, his "expert" analysis isn't just his own, but also from edward jones, morningstar among others.  i also use marketwatch as an adjunct only.  a little bit of ear to the ground as well

elon took over twitter because he knew something was desperately wrong with the dissemination of information and how it was acting as a "gate keeper" to what was allowed to be discussed.  if one was honest, you know as well as i that something didn't smell right regardless of your slant.  i'm sure he had people in his ear about exposing twitter's misinformation campaign.  did twitter have the right to do what it was doing?  as a private company-yes, but not if the FBI and DOJ was breathing down their backs essentially saying-nice company ya gots here...be a shame if anything happened to your family...not to mention, MOST of the people being employed there were flying the "D" flag.  again, if one was honest, he took over twitter to at leat level the playing field at least.  if twitter was in fact a private company, "the other guys"  should have been paying for the generous campaigning being done for them

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2388 on: February 10, 2023, 09:14:50 AM »
  i've been using a guy from edward jones for over 20 years and he has been right more then wrong, however, his "expert" analysis isn't just his own, but also from edward jones, morningstar among others.  i also use marketwatch as an adjunct only.  a little bit of ear to the ground as well

elon took over twitter because he knew something was desperately wrong with the dissemination of information and how it was acting as a "gate keeper" to what was allowed to be discussed.  if one was honest, you know as well as i that something didn't smell right regardless of your slant.  i'm sure he had people in his ear about exposing twitter's misinformation campaign.  did twitter have the right to do what it was doing?  as a private company-yes, but not if the FBI and DOJ was breathing down their backs essentially saying-nice company ya gots here...be a shame if anything happened to your family...not to mention, MOST of the people being employed there were flying the "D" flag.  again, if one was honest, he took over twitter to at leat level the playing field at least.  if twitter was in fact a private company, "the other guys"  should have been paying for the generous campaigning being done for them

Not gonna get into a political discussion with you in the investing thread. The fact is that Musk got mad, made an offer to overpay for Twitter, realized he didn't want it, desperately tried to get out of the deal, completed the deal only because he was forced to do so, and then sold off a bunch of TSLA stock to help pay for Twitter. As I said, I believe he is the opposite of "dumb," but he cornered himself into making a dumb business deal out of spite. All the while, he has portrayed himself as a champion of "free speech" -- but he cancels (or fires) anybody who dares disagree with him.

None of the above bothered me enough as an investor to sell my TSLA shares ... though I sure wish one of your experts had told me to do so when it was at $400!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2389 on: February 10, 2023, 10:30:20 AM »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2390 on: February 10, 2023, 11:25:49 AM »
This thread is a strong case for why financial advisors make so much money helping folks not make emotional decisions.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2391 on: February 10, 2023, 11:38:41 AM »

Whoa.  Almost missed this.  The moon is made of cheese, too.

9 out of 10
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2392 on: February 14, 2023, 01:39:27 PM »
BoA CEO sees little signs of recession

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/banking/article272503936.html#storylink=cpy

The recession that economists and investors feared in 2022 hasn’t happened yet, Bank of America CEO Brian Moynihan said Tuesday.

During livestreamed remarks at the Bank of America Securities Financial Services Conference in New York City, the chief executive of the Charlotte-based bank said that so far, he isn’t seeing any signs of a downturn. Consumers are still spending, wealthy bank clients are still investing their cash and businesses have yet to see profits drop off, Moynihan said.

“They’re trying to be careful,” he said of the bank’s commercial customers. “But most of them, honestly, when you ask them are saying ‘I thought I’d be in worse condition right now. I thought I’d be facing more pressures, and things are still fine.’”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2393 on: February 15, 2023, 07:12:20 AM »
As it strived to gain the upper hand against Tesla in at least one important category, Ford had a massive built-in audience for its EV truck. But it has been one thing after another with the F-150 Lightning -- and now issues with the battery just forced the company to suspend production.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3935858-ford-halts-electric-f-150-production-due-to-battery-issue

What a wasted opportunity for Ford.

Of course, Tesla also is at least a couple years behind get its butt-ugly truck out; Musk has moved back the production date over and over again.

Rivian, which does have its gorgeous EV trucks on the road (but not many of them), isn't equipped to meet demand.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2394 on: February 15, 2023, 07:16:19 AM »
Ford has wasted a number of opportunities.   And their build quality has been below average.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2395 on: February 15, 2023, 07:20:56 AM »
Ford has wasted a number of opportunities.   And their build quality has been below average.

Yep. I am in the market for an SUV right now and I really like the look of the Mustang Mach-E. I sat in one at the Charlotte Auto Show a few months ago and it was one of the more comfortable vehicles I tried. However, it has been beset with numerous quality-control issues and it does not get a passing grade from Consumer Reports. It's also expensive, and if I'm gonna spend that kind of money I want something that won't be in the shop constantly.

And the truck is an even bigger lost opportunity. There literally are hundreds of thousands of potential customers who really want to buy that truck, lots of whom have put down deposits. A shame that Ford can't get things right, tower.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2396 on: February 16, 2023, 09:56:39 AM »
Yep. I am in the market for an SUV right now and I really like the look of the Mustang Mach-E. I sat in one at the Charlotte Auto Show a few months ago and it was one of the more comfortable vehicles I tried. However, it has been beset with numerous quality-control issues and it does not get a passing grade from Consumer Reports. It's also expensive, and if I'm gonna spend that kind of money I want something that won't be in the shop constantly.

And the truck is an even bigger lost opportunity. There literally are hundreds of thousands of potential customers who really want to buy that truck, lots of whom have put down deposits. A shame that Ford can't get things right, tower.

The EV6 from Kia is really slick looking: https://www.kia.com/us/en/ev6

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2397 on: February 16, 2023, 10:05:23 AM »

Thanks. I like the EV6 but it's a little small for my needs. Also difficult to get.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2398 on: February 16, 2023, 11:54:52 AM »
Thanks. I like the EV6 but it's a little small for my needs. Also difficult to get.

Gotcha, not to go off topic 😂, but I’ve kept my eye on ioniq 5 and ID.4 which are both similar sized to the Mach-e

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2399 on: February 16, 2023, 11:54:58 AM »

I've owned one for exactly 51 weeks. AMA

feedback