collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Investing Thread  (Read 288306 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Investing Thread
« Reply #2300 on: January 20, 2023, 06:35:17 AM »
So what metrics will be measured to demonstrate that the climate has stopped changing? Also, how do you run a modern economy without fossil fuels? Tell me what part of modern medicine that does not require petrochemicals, glass, plastics, metals that have no carbon footprint?

Does CA have the electrical grid and capacity to power EVs by 2050. It is my understanding that it takes more power to charge an EV than to run a home central air conditioner.

Are the fossil fuel alternatives really clean and have absolutely no impact on the environment?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2301 on: January 20, 2023, 06:47:24 AM »
And now it's Google's turn ...

Google (GOOG, GOOGL) is laying off 12,000 employees, or 6% of its workforce, adding to the slew of major U.S. tech companies cutting jobs amid fears of an oncoming recession. "These are important moments to sharpen our focus, reengineer our cost base, and direct our talent and capital to our highest priorities,” CEO Sundar Pichai wrote in a memo. "The fact that these changes will impact the lives of Googlers weighs heavily on me, and I take full responsibility for the decisions that led us here."

He felt so bad about it that he decided to "take full responsibility" by giving the newly laid-off employees all of the $240 million in equity and salary that the company bestowed on him.

Just kidding.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2302 on: January 20, 2023, 12:52:03 PM »
To be clear, the idea that US emissions “pale in comparison” to those of Latin American and Asian countries is false. The US produces the second-most emissions in the world.

US produced 5 billions tons of CO2 last year.  Asia (excluding China and India) produced 7.5B.  US has been falling steadily from around 6.5B in 2000.  Asia has nearly doubled in that time.  India has tripled in that time.  And China will be 2.5, maybe 3x the US's emissions next year.

I thought Latin America was higher per capita, but I was mistaken on what I saw on that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2303 on: January 21, 2023, 07:36:05 AM »
Naturally, GOOGL went up 5.3% Friday.

Mr. Market loves layoffs.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2304 on: January 21, 2023, 08:03:57 AM »
Naturally, GOOGL went up 5.3% Friday.

Mr. Market loves layoffs.

When growth slows or stops after long periods of rapid acceleration companies end up with too many employees.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2305 on: January 21, 2023, 10:48:02 AM »
None of these recent cuts have been particularly deep in the tech sector. Healthy, imo.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2306 on: January 21, 2023, 10:50:07 PM »
When growth slows or stops after long periods of rapid acceleration companies end up with too many employees.

I never said otherwise.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2307 on: January 25, 2023, 09:37:55 AM »
Ad spending on Twitter falls by over 70% in Dec
https://www.reuters.com/technology/ad-spending-twitter-falls-by-over-70-dec-data-2023-01-25/?taid=63d0d389ef5a2d0001ee9d85&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Surprising that companies don't want to be associated with the racists, white nationalists, misogynists, and conspiracy theorists that Musk has out back on the platform.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2308 on: January 25, 2023, 09:46:43 AM »
GM was just ahead of the curve.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #2309 on: January 25, 2023, 11:32:56 AM »
GM was just ahead of the curve.

GM hasn’t recovered!  Go woke, go broke!
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2310 on: January 25, 2023, 01:10:06 PM »
GM hasn’t recovered!  Go woke, go broke!

Don't invest in M&Ms

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2311 on: January 25, 2023, 03:57:07 PM »
I've been buying during this whole downturn, but just index funds.

Has anyone been buying up any individual companies?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2312 on: January 25, 2023, 05:07:27 PM »
I've been buying during this whole downturn, but just index funds.

Has anyone been buying up any individual companies?
Been buying S&P 500 as well, but also ARCC, MAIN, DLR, AMZN and hint of AAPL (over allocated there already, so trying to practice good risk management...you know, in case Tim Cook turns into Elon).
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2313 on: January 26, 2023, 04:11:58 AM »
What's the old saying...don't try to catch a falling knife.

yup, that is the OLD saying...and that relates to tesla in what way?? you know of course rocks, that buying stocks cannot be personal.   

average rating according to marketwatch-overweight, avg price target $209 with some going as high as $436...ya mean those falling knives?  btw, i have been buying up boeing with both hands since $130.  are those falling knives too?  thanks for the advice though...time to short the nasdaq imho  only of course

premarket tesla up 10%
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2314 on: January 26, 2023, 07:59:29 AM »
U.S. GDP up a surprisingly robust 2.9%.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3928365-us-gdp-climbs-29-in-q4-on-initial-estimate-stronger-than-expected

So far looking at Futures, Mr. Market seems to like this info.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2315 on: January 26, 2023, 08:53:54 AM »
   yup, that is the OLD saying...and that relates to tesla in what way?? you know of course rocks, that buying stocks cannot be personal.   

You realize of course I posted this on Jan 3, when TSLA fell to 108 from 123 the day earlier.  That's a falling knife!

But, glad you're getting some of your money back (or maybe even making some).  That's what we're all trying to do.  I'm not bullish on TSLA, but more power to ya.

I don't short - but I will sell holdings if I'm expecting a long-term market downturn.  I don't think that's in the books right now.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2316 on: January 27, 2023, 05:36:34 AM »
You realize of course I posted this on Jan 3, when TSLA fell to 108 from 123 the day earlier.  That's a falling knife!

But, glad you're getting some of your money back (or maybe even making some).  That's what we're all trying to do.  I'm not bullish on TSLA, but more power to ya.

I don't short - but I will sell holdings if I'm expecting a long-term market downturn.  I don't think that's in the books right now.

ah yes rock, i see your point and thank you for your "pat on the back".

forget had a nice logical response back a few weeks ago that made a lot of sense, but as you well know, there are many who are salivating at a tesla crash n burn as well, but i doubt they are confident enough in that enthusiasm to short it. 

and yes, good/bad trades are always easy to analyze looking back, but i was going on tesla' historical data and the fact that it still puts out a product that is in demand. 

it's companies like tesla that provide the incentive for ford, chevy et.al. to compete for the best

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2317 on: January 27, 2023, 06:05:27 AM »
  ah yes rock, i see your point and thank you for your "pat on the back".

forget had a nice logical response back a few weeks ago that made a lot of sense, but as you well know, there are many who are salivating at a tesla crash n burn as well, but i doubt they are confident enough in that enthusiasm to short it. 

and yes, good/bad trades are always easy to analyze looking back, but i was going on tesla' historical data and the fact that it still puts out a product that is in demand. 

it's companies like tesla that provide the incentive for ford, chevy et.al. to compete for the best

They already make better autos.  Tesla hasn't been treated like a car company by the market for years.  They're a tech company.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2318 on: January 27, 2023, 06:12:25 AM »
They already make better autos.  Tesla hasn't been treated like a car company by the market for years.  They're a tech company.

Well that and the big three have larger cost issues. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2319 on: January 27, 2023, 09:49:28 AM »

You're both correct tho.  If a small garbage company suddenly developed tech to make cars run on trash and made their own cars that did so, they would be the catalyst to make the large auto makers to change and compete, even if they were treated like a garbage company by the market, not a carmaker.

Tesla may not make the best EVs on the market, but they had a HUGE part in making the traditional auto makers up their game and not just make jokes like the Leaf or the Prius or Volt

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2320 on: January 27, 2023, 10:45:34 AM »
You're both correct tho.  If a small garbage company suddenly developed tech to make cars run on trash and made their own cars that did so, they would be the catalyst to make the large auto makers to change and compete, even if they were treated like a garbage company by the market, not a carmaker.

Tesla may not make the best EVs on the market, but they had a HUGE part in making the traditional auto makers up their game and not just make jokes like the Leaf or the Prius or Volt

Oh, no doubt, but they weren't invested in as a car company.  And their car tech has been surpassed and improved upon by the larger auto makers

They certainly get the kudos for forcing change.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #2321 on: January 27, 2023, 11:09:46 AM »
Having owned a Tesla and a precvious ev, and having done  research on a mustang EV (which I wouldn’t touch until GM makes a lot of improvements), I would say that Tesla makes the best mid-priced ev’s by far. Too many factors to list, but I wouldn’t touch any other mid-priced ev right now except Tesla and maybe Kia/Hyundai. Kia /Hyundai could be the first real rival for the mid-priced ev crowd. BMW Mercedes are close and more refined if you want “luxury” over tech, but they sell the old fashioned way and you end up optioning out and ending up with an expensive car. Oh, and you want heated seats - pay on subscription.  Really!  GM still using resistive heaters, really!

With the price cuts, Tesla is going to sell as many cars as they can produce.  They are set to ramp production.  A money machine. It was a steal at 108 a share. Maybe a long term buy still at 170. What is the energy/battery division going to be worth if it continues to build and gets spun off?  I have no idea, but there is a lot there besides the cars.

Tesla is still so far out ahead, tech, efficiency, updates etc. best engineers want to go there.

Be careful what you read. Reminds me of when there were articles such as the Hummer is more efficient and environmental friendly than a Prius. Until you dig under the hood and see that they assume the Prius is junked at 100k miles and the Hummer is junked after 300k plus miles to make the numbers work.  Obviously history shows just the opposite is true.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2322 on: January 27, 2023, 11:23:16 AM »
GM does not make the Mustang Mach-E.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2323 on: January 27, 2023, 11:50:36 AM »
Having owned a Tesla and a precvious ev, and having done  research on a mustang EV (which I wouldn’t touch until GM makes a lot of improvements), I would say that Tesla makes the best mid-priced ev’s by far. Too many factors to list, but I wouldn’t touch any other mid-priced ev right now except Tesla and maybe Kia/Hyundai. Kia /Hyundai could be the first real rival for the mid-priced ev crowd. BMW Mercedes are close and more refined if you want “luxury” over tech, but they sell the old fashioned way and you end up optioning out and ending up with an expensive car. Oh, and you want heated seats - pay on subscription.  Really!  GM still using resistive heaters, really!

With the price cuts, Tesla is going to sell as many cars as they can produce.  They are set to ramp production.  A money machine. It was a steal at 108 a share. Maybe a long term buy still at 170. What is the energy/battery division going to be worth if it continues to build and gets spun off?  I have no idea, but there is a lot there besides the cars.

Tesla is still so far out ahead, tech, efficiency, updates etc. best engineers want to go there.

Be careful what you read. Reminds me of when there were articles such as the Hummer is more efficient and environmental friendly than a Prius. Until you dig under the hood and see that they assume the Prius is junked at 100k miles and the Hummer is junked after 300k plus miles to make the numbers work.  Obviously history shows just the opposite is true.

great post GOO!  a lot of really nice info-thanks!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2324 on: January 27, 2023, 11:52:36 AM »

No offense, but this is way off base. Tesla is years behind in self driving tech. Engineers want to work at Cruise, Waymo and Argo.AI. They all have J3016 Level 4-capable vehicles in production. Tesla is struggling with J3016 Level 2-capable functionality.

Kinda like saying that the best engineers want to work at Apple, when in reality it's a marketing/design agency parading as a tech company.

Edit: To be a bit more open minded, maybe the best battery tech engineers want to work at Tesla? I don't know a lot about that space, just software.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 11:54:08 AM by Skatastrophy »

feedback