collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Investing Thread  (Read 288006 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Investing Thread
« Reply #225 on: February 26, 2020, 07:05:45 PM »
You still holding onto AMRN?  Woooooooooooffffff

lmao, can't sell it now!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #226 on: February 26, 2020, 07:47:05 PM »
i've had gilead(GILD) for over 2 years.  not a lot. bought a little more last week.  pays a decent dividend.  little(none) did i know until just a few months ago that they cold be playing a HUGE role in this coronavirus thingy.  i'm just going to sit back and watch
don't...don't don't don't don't

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #227 on: February 26, 2020, 08:05:46 PM »
i've had gilead(GILD) for over 2 years.  not a lot. bought a little more last week.  pays a decent dividend.  little(none) did i know until just a few months ago that they cold be playing a HUGE role in this coronavirus thingy.  i'm just going to sit back and watch

Got in on that, novavax and moderna in the past few days  8-)
Maigh Eo for Sam

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #228 on: February 27, 2020, 09:15:32 AM »
Got in on that, novavax and moderna in the past few days  8-)

I know I've mentioned this before, but I do a lot of biotech investing. I tend to look for companies that are trying to do something unique in the way they approach development of their medicines. Moderna and their use of mRNA fit into that category so I bought it January of 2019 at just under 17/share. It is a very intriguing company but I do think it has run up too far too fast. I sold my position yesterday, maybe should held on to some. Missed out on some gains, but that is OK. I'll be looking to get back in if it falsl back to the mid 20s.

I sold Gilead a few months back in the mid 60s at a loss. Nice dividend yield, but was looking to harvest some losses.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #229 on: February 27, 2020, 09:25:58 AM »
lmao, can't sell it now!

No crap, but if that is really like 75% of his portfolio like he said - eeeeeeek.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #230 on: February 27, 2020, 10:43:32 AM »
I know I've mentioned this before, but I do a lot of biotech investing. I tend to look for companies that are trying to do something unique in the way they approach development of their medicines. Moderna and their use of mRNA fit into that category so I bought it January of 2019 at just under 17/share. It is a very intriguing company but I do think it has run up too far too fast. I sold my position yesterday, maybe should held on to some. Missed out on some gains, but that is OK. I'll be looking to get back in if it falsl back to the mid 20s.

I sold Gilead a few months back in the mid 60s at a loss. Nice dividend yield, but was looking to harvest some losses.

good to know-thanks!  i going to watch that one(moderna) i've had novartis for a couple years and just holding.  just bought some astrazeneca a couple of months ago.  i usually buy for the moderate to long hold unless the thing is really a dog.  briggs and stratton the most recent example-took a big hit on but actually reinvested the remnants into gilead.  GE has been drip drip dripping up-long hold in at 7-8.  procter and gamble and dollar general have been very good to me

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #231 on: February 27, 2020, 03:32:25 PM »
AAAANNNNNND we've officially reach panicked and indiscriminate selling mode.  There is some gaps to be filled from a crazy run up to be sure, but the market went from finding a bottom, recovering and steadying itself from a crazy 3 day drawdown, to shaving off another 120 SPX points cause a school in Seattle closed and Gavin Newsome said they were "monitoring" people.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #232 on: February 27, 2020, 07:26:34 PM »
AAAANNNNNND we've officially reach panicked and indiscriminate selling mode.  There is some gaps to be filled from a crazy run up to be sure, but the market went from finding a bottom, recovering and steadying itself from a crazy 3 day drawdown, to shaving off another 120 SPX points cause a school in Seattle closed and Gavin Newsome said they were "monitoring" people.

Except investors are quickly realizing that the supply chain is totally screwed, currently.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #233 on: February 27, 2020, 08:07:51 PM »
Except investors are quickly realizing that the supply chain is totally screwed, currently.

That was the first phase of the move. What happened today wasn’t. They dumped anything and everything, including names that don’t have China exposure or would otherwise be affected.  Based on “realizing the supply chain was screwed”, no reason today should have been the biggest down day of them all. Nothing in regards to that changed meaningfully, today was just panic cause of CA and diagnosed cases in other countries

I also think some not insignificant Bernie caution/worry is being woven into the market now that it’s unstable as wel
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 08:09:26 PM by JWags85 »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #234 on: February 27, 2020, 09:58:44 PM »
You still holding onto AMRN?  Woooooooooooffffff

No answer from Mr. Musk?  someone should check his closet or garage ASAP.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #235 on: February 28, 2020, 03:53:18 AM »
 i'm sure he is just re-strategerizing

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #236 on: February 28, 2020, 08:55:36 AM »
Is anyone else dumping a few grand from cash into investments today? Just going to load up on SPY

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #237 on: February 28, 2020, 09:02:45 AM »
Is anyone else dumping a few grand from cash into investments today? Just going to load up on SPY

Yep, same idea. Picking at the index.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #238 on: February 28, 2020, 10:23:42 AM »

Likely going to buy some SPY in the near future.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #239 on: February 28, 2020, 10:47:28 AM »

Yep. Trying to pick the best spots broadly & specifically. DIS, GOOG, CMCSA seem unfairly hit relative to exposure...

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #240 on: February 28, 2020, 10:53:21 AM »
10% of available cash if down 20% and officially bear market
Another 20% at 30% down
Another 30% at 40% down
Last 40% if 50% down.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #241 on: February 28, 2020, 11:15:12 AM »
Buying 30-day SPY puts and calls (deep OOM)
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #242 on: February 28, 2020, 11:44:16 AM »
I like that strategy quite a bit, volatility seems certain.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #243 on: February 28, 2020, 11:52:16 AM »
10% of available cash if down 20% and officially bear market
Another 20% at 30% down
Another 30% at 40% down
Last 40% if 50% down.

I could be totally wrong, but my opinion is that we are close to the bottom. I think worst fears are just about priced in.

But what the hell do I know? I guess a lot still depends on extent of spread and the response within the US.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 11:55:19 AM by Coleman »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #244 on: February 28, 2020, 12:05:57 PM »
anyone have a good cyber security?  i have been watching okta, adi, roku and marvl   going to be waiting for chit to settle down though

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #245 on: February 28, 2020, 12:10:22 PM »
anyone have a good cyber security?  i have been watching okta, adi, roku and marvl   going to be waiting for chit to settle down though

Pleasantly surprised to see NET jump a bit, even in the middle of all of this week's BS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #246 on: February 28, 2020, 12:12:04 PM »
I could be totally wrong, but my opinion is that we are close to the bottom. I think worst fears are just about priced in.

But what the hell do I know? I guess a lot still depends on extent of spread and the response within the US.

I think the next seven days are critical... the White House has been uncharacteristically silent on the economic fallout aside from a few soundbites from Larry Kudlow.  Most likely this means they're waiting for more data/observations, but it could also mean they're strategizing behind closed doors for the next disclosure/revelation.

Whatever the case, what I think is most likely is that - irrespective of how dire or innocuous the situation is - this is going to turn into a political issue, and the negativity and finger-pointing is going to lead to fear and uncertainty, which is going to cause a 'technical panic' (if it's not a term, I'm coining it) in the markets. 

However, Americans are notoriously resilient, and at some point, there is going to be a moment of enlightenment followed by an overwhelming desire to move on with our lives... and at that point, the market goes U/V.

If one of these events happens in the next 30 days, I'm covered.  If both, Merry New Year.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #247 on: February 28, 2020, 12:28:11 PM »

OKTA is a great company, it's been a great stock. I also like CACI and AKAM.
I think cyber security is a great place to be invested for the long term. I have clients invested in the 3 names mentioned above and also in CIBR which is a cyber security etf.
PANW reported recently and got obliterated, it was close to $250/share before earnings now it is in the high 180s I think it's pretty interesting. I mentioned a few days ago I sold my MRNA shares, I used some of the proceeds to buy AKAM in my personal portfolio.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #248 on: February 28, 2020, 12:35:45 PM »
I put some cash into ISRG yesterday, as they seem to have a pretty good lead on the larger medical device companies in robotic surgery technology. Might buy a little more today.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #249 on: March 03, 2020, 06:15:20 AM »
thanks for all of this guys-one company i have been in boeing at $350/sh since last march.  it got as high as $432 during this time, but has taken it's beating because of it's obvious past issues with the 737 max, but they've rolled out a 777-xxx that has orders up the ying yang.  boeing is a $290/sh this morning.  they fix the max and move forward uneventfully with both the max and the triple x, this is a $500/sh stock in a year or so.  am i nuts?

feedback