[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 120610 times)

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #925 on: November 20, 2022, 09:31:38 PM »
Texas lost again today to #6 Louisville so it's a loss to a ranked team but them losing again probably doesn't help Marquette a lot.

The MU Ladies defeat Gonzaga 70-66 and now they will play UCLA tomorrow for the Championship!
The Game is on ESPN  at 11 am ! ! !

I wish they didn't play during the day tomorrow but I suppose that time is so they can be on ESPN.

Go Marquette!

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #926 on: November 20, 2022, 09:50:00 PM »
I just noticed an update from Marquette - the broadcast got switched to ESPN2 tomorrow - same time of 11A central.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #927 on: November 28, 2022, 07:22:45 PM »
Marquette is ranked for the first time since 2019 - they joined the Coaches Poll at 25 last week and broke into the AP poll at 24 today (the AP poll comes out on Mondays and Coaches Poll on Tuesdays for the Women).

Marquette joins UCONN (3), Creighton (13) and Villanova (25) in the AP poll this week to make it the first time since conference realignment in 2014 that the Big East has 4 teams in the AP Top 25 - https://twitter.com/DougFeinberg/status/1597290336476606464

Also, Marquette's tourney run in the Bahamas took them from not being in Charlie Creme's bracketology predictions to being a 6 seed - https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/30423107/ncaa-women-bracketology-2023-women-college-basketball-projections

There's still a long way to go of course but I find it interesting to look at the bracketology predictions. 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #928 on: December 02, 2022, 09:27:08 AM »
First Big East game at Georgetown this morning.  Go Marquette!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #929 on: December 18, 2022, 12:21:40 AM »
Is the Big East like a legit power conference this year? Just took a gander at NET and rankings. Noticed UCONN, Nova, Creighton, SJU, MU and DePaul are all getting votes and doing well. That's a far cry from a couple years ago when it was seemingly MU vs DePaul and a bunch of crap.
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #930 on: December 18, 2022, 06:02:01 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #931 on: December 21, 2022, 12:49:27 PM »
MUWBB was down 26-4 to begin the game vs Colorado. 35-13 at the half.

UConn defeated Seton Hall 98-73. (UConn was up by 31 after three quarters)

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #932 on: December 21, 2022, 01:21:02 PM »
MUWBB was down 26-4 to begin the game vs Colorado. 35-13 at the half.

UConn defeated Seton Hall 98-73. (UConn was up by 31 after three quarters)

Down by 29 after three.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #933 on: December 21, 2022, 01:27:18 PM »
Down by 29 after three.

Maybe I shouldn’t have taken a 1/2 day PTO to attend this game  - work might have been better 😀.  Ugly doesn’t even begin to describe this game.

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
« Reply #934 on: December 21, 2022, 03:33:15 PM »
Maybe I shouldn’t have taken a 1/2 day PTO to attend this game  - work might have been better 😀.  Ugly doesn’t even begin to describe this game.

Guess the team started Christmas break early :(

I noticed the Morgan State game was cancelled due to COVID concerns in the Morgan State program. I know they aren't UConn or Stanford, does the game cancellation impact NET rankings or anything else or when it comes to tournament resume they have just played one less game than most other teams.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #935 on: December 22, 2022, 12:50:22 PM »
Is the Big East like a legit power conference this year? Just took a gander at NET and rankings. Noticed UCONN, Nova, Creighton, SJU, MU and DePaul are all getting votes and doing well. That's a far cry from a couple years ago when it was seemingly MU vs DePaul and a bunch of crap.

The Big East may be a tad better this year but probably still not a power conference.  They had 4 teams in the top 25 at one point but then Marquette fell out and I doubt they'll make it back into the top 25.  Villanova was in the top 25 for a bit but is no longer ranked.  St. John's replaced the in the top 25.  While St. John's is undefeated, their non-conference schedule wasn't exactly super tough so I'm not sure how long they will stay ranked.  UCONN has battled a lot of injuries but should remain ranked all season and Creighton will likely stick around in the top 25 for awhile. 

DePaul is having a very up and down season so far and their NET is 67 and that is #7 of all BE teams.  They look to be having a down season overall for them.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #936 on: December 22, 2022, 12:54:36 PM »
Guess the team started Christmas break early :(

I noticed the Morgan State game was cancelled due to COVID concerns in the Morgan State program. I know they aren't UConn or Stanford, does the game cancellation impact NET rankings or anything else or when it comes to tournament resume they have just played one less game than most other teams.

That was an important game for them also as Colorado was the toughest non-conference opponent they had outside of the tournament they played in.  And all their non-conference games were either neutral or home - they had no away non-conference games.  Colorado was the only non-cupcake home non-conference game in my opinion and Colorado basically ran MU out of the gym.

I'm no NET expert.  Morgan State would have surely been a blowout win for MU but their NET of 280 also seems like it would somewhat hurt for the strength of schedule perspective.  My best guess is it's just one less game MU will have come tourney selection time.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #937 on: January 02, 2023, 12:56:52 PM »

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #938 on: January 04, 2023, 06:32:06 PM »
This popped up on my YouTube suggested videos.  I've seen free throws before the game starts, but never after the clock hits all 0's.

https://youtu.be/pYMkmhL2y7Y
VIOLENCE!

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #939 on: January 04, 2023, 07:13:11 PM »
This popped up on my YouTube suggested videos.  I've seen free throws before the game starts, but never after the clock hits all 0's.

https://youtu.be/pYMkmhL2y7Y

I haven’t either even after attending that game 😂.  I was walking down to see someone before I left and never even saw the technicals but it explains why the score I saw later was different than I recalled.

No Liza Karlen in the starting lineup tonight which is very unusual.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #940 on: January 04, 2023, 08:00:24 PM »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #941 on: January 04, 2023, 09:01:58 PM »
Marquette did bounce back from their 3 game losing streak to win at DePaul tonight 72-63.  King led the way with 23 points.  They continue on the road at Creighton Sunday - it will be televised on CBS sports network.  Creighton suffered a surprising loss at home tonight to Providence.  They are in the top 25 for now but the loss to Providence most likely cost them their top 25 spot.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #942 on: January 06, 2023, 07:56:55 PM »
UCONN-DePaul's game on Sunday has been postponed because UCONN will not have the minimum 7 scholarship players available that the Big East requires.  UCONN has been hit really hard by injuries and Geno has had to miss some games recently too with health issues.  https://www.bigeast.com/news/2023/1/6/big-east-announces-depaul-uconn-womens-basketball-game-is-postponed.aspx

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #943 on: January 06, 2023, 08:02:58 PM »
UCONN-DePaul's game on Sunday has been postponed because UCONN will not have the minimum 7 scholarship players available that the Big East requires.  UCONN has been hit really hard by injuries and Geno has had to miss some games recently too with health issues.  https://www.bigeast.com/news/2023/1/6/big-east-announces-depaul-uconn-womens-basketball-game-is-postponed.aspx
Too lazy to look, did Uconn have available scholarships this year? If so, they should have to forfeit. If not, nevermind.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #944 on: January 06, 2023, 09:17:38 PM »
Too lazy to look, did Uconn have available scholarships this year? If so, they should have to forfeit. If not, nevermind.

I don't know if all of the players are on scholarship or not but they have 12 players on their roster -  https://uconnhuskies.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster?path=wbball

The limit for Women's Basketball is 15 for scholarships but many schools don't give out that many.  I've seldom see Marquette go above 13 and 13 is kind of high for what they normally do.

Paige Bueckers tore her ACL this summer which is after when you'd normally offer scholarships for the season.

shoothoops

• All American

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #946 on: January 18, 2023, 01:27:37 PM »
Again this week.

And King made the honor roll.

Okuson was in street clothes for the game at Creighton and not on the bench at all for Saturday’s game.

And Karlen continues to be sidelined with a mouth injury as far as I know.

Big game for MU tonight at St. John’s.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #947 on: January 19, 2023, 11:24:56 AM »
In losing 66-61 to St. John's,

KIng 27 and 6
Marotta 24 and 12
All other MUWBB players had 4 points or less.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #948 on: January 22, 2023, 07:33:04 AM »
In losing 66-61 to St. John's,

KIng 27 and 6
Marotta 24 and 12
All other MUWBB players had 4 points or less.

They have struggled so much offensively for the most part since the Colorado game (and oh was that one painful to watch in person).  While DePaul can be a hard place to play at, they are way down this year so I can't say a win there means a ton this season. Providence did beat Creighton in Omaha but they are stil a lower half of the BE team - MU's offense looked good against them at home last week but then they struggled on the road at St. John's (and King did have a career high in that Providence game contributing greatly to the offense doing well in that game).

Seton Hall will be a tough contest today but then the worst team in the BE comes to town on Wednesday in Xavier who is 0-10 in BE play so far.  Xavier made a new coaching hire the same year Duffy was hired - it seemed like a good hire but they have just not got things going in the right direction. Xavier's program was in pretty bad shape when Melanie Moore took over though.

Marquette is tied for 6th place with DePaul and looking at playing on the first day of the BET.  They also are looking to be a WNIT team again - they got my hopes up after the early season tournament but they are definitely back to not looking like an NCAA Tournament team.  At this point I think the only way they'd make it is to grab the automatic bid and that's just not going to happen.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #949 on: January 26, 2023, 08:16:49 AM »
Freshman Mackenzie Hare has 41 points in the past 2 games, both lopsided wins over Seton Hall and Xavier.

feedback