collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 135369 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #975 on: February 09, 2023, 08:27:12 AM »
Does this win make our team a legit possibility for an NCAA bid?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #976 on: February 09, 2023, 08:33:47 AM »
Outside of this year havent we been a consistent top 25 team for almost a decade?

No.  They’ve had some years in the top 25 but not consistently. 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #977 on: February 09, 2023, 08:37:54 AM »
Does this win make our team a legit possibility for an NCAA bid?

They were projected as the last team in before this game so it helps their cause a lot. 

Their remaining schedule is favorable with two very winnable road games at providence and Xavier and home games versus St John’s, Creighton and DePaul.  Those are all games they can win - would love to see them win out in the regular season - we will see.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #978 on: February 09, 2023, 03:10:51 PM »
This is an excellent interview with Chloe Marotta.  Fantastic Kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYAATytIKOU
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #979 on: February 09, 2023, 03:26:07 PM »
This is an excellent interview with Chloe Marotta.  Fantastic Kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYAATytIKOU

Loved it. Thanks for posting Herman.

I have long had a special spot in my heart for Cam and Chloe. They lost their father suddenly to a heart attack while at Marquette. So did I. Even with so many decades between us, I know that the pain is just under the surface. I am sure they felt his absence as well as his presence on their graduation days.

It was great when Cam made a three pointer and pointed upward. Wow!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #980 on: February 09, 2023, 10:02:23 PM »
Great tweet from Chloe's Mom with a link to an interview she did:  https://twitter.com/KimMarotta/status/1623720589532725254?s=20&t=U30KXGP3viSBVt3bvIKVOw

A tweet from Chloe about Rebounds for Research campaign she is doing to raise funds for the Brain Aneurysm Foundation (what her Father passed away from when she was 14):  https://twitter.com/ChloeMarotta/status/1623888016803520514?s=20&t=UGtytSO9j6eDtkn_IqVkSA

A great post-game video from Chloe's older sister - https://twitter.com/Karley_Marotta/status/1623516883709206528?s=20&t=UGtytSO9j6eDtkn_IqVkSA

And an interview Chloe did with TMJ4 this afternoon:  https://twitter.com/MarquetteWBB/status/1623834340630138881?s=20&t=UGtytSO9j6eDtkn_IqVkSA

I have so enjoyed watching her play at MU - senior day is going to be a little tough. 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #981 on: February 09, 2023, 10:07:59 PM »
In the first top 16 reveal of the season for the Women, there are 2 BE teams - UCONN is #4 overall and a 1 seed in Seattle Regional 4 and Villanova is #15 overall and is a 4 seed in Greenville Regional 2 - https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2023-02-09/2023-ncaa-womens-basketball-top-16-reveal-dates-schedule-how-watch

The women are doing only two regionals this season and naming them by the cities.

Feb 23rd will be the next top 16 reveal for the Women.

I wasn't sure UCONN would hold onto a 1 seed but there they are for now - good to see another BE team in the mix also.  And Texas is #12 overall and a 3 seed in Seattle Regional 3 - that bodes well for MU since they beat them this season
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 10:12:31 PM by Marquette Fan »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #982 on: February 09, 2023, 10:26:21 PM »
They were projected as the last team in before this game so it helps their cause a lot. 

Their remaining schedule is favorable with two very winnable road games at providence and Xavier and home games versus St John’s, Creighton and DePaul.  Those are all games they can win - would love to see them win out in the regular season - we will see.

Thanks for this and the other great info you provide, MF.

I watched the 4th quarter of last night's game and really enjoyed it. High-quality basketball by our team.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #983 on: February 09, 2023, 11:06:12 PM »
Thanks for this and the other great info you provide, MF.

I watched the 4th quarter of last night's game and really enjoyed it. High-quality basketball by our team.

You're welcome - I've been posting a bit more these days since the thread is a bit more active now :).

I had forgotten how close they were last season in the home game versus UCONN - I liked this quote from Jordan King:

>“We came into a huddle and we were at the media timeout in the fourth quarter, and I was like, ‘We were here last year. I'm not watching film on how we lost in the last five minutes,' ” King said. “You have to put 40 minutes of basketball together. For us, I felt we did that.”

From this article - https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=401487227

And they really did put together the whole 40 minutes which they needed. 

Now they need to use momentum from this and close out the season strong.

I'm guessing Charlie Creme will come out with an updated bracketology soon after the first top 16 reveal - interested to see where Marquette is at when a new one does come out.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #984 on: February 10, 2023, 08:51:01 AM »
It was a great game to be at.. The intensity was there the whole game, you could see and feel it..  We sit behind the bench and their huddles were so active and intense. After UConn tied it at 33, the MU Ladies took the lead back and never lost it. You could see they felt they were going to win it, and they did ! ! !   Congrats to the MU Lady Warriors ! ! !  8-)

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #985 on: February 10, 2023, 04:26:21 PM »
No.  They’ve had some years in the top 25 but not consistently.

Why not?  I ask that as a casual follower of the women's program (more in recent years as I have a neice who plays grade school and I try to take her to at least a game a year).  I understand the travails of the men's program but what's held the women back?  Resources compared to other schools?  Trouble recruiting to the program?  Something else?  I don't hear complaints about Duffy (nor did I about Kieger).  What should our aspirations/expectations be for this program and what's holding them back?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #986 on: February 10, 2023, 04:27:50 PM »
Why not?  I ask that as a casual follower of the women's program (more in recent years as I have a neice who plays grade school and I try to take her to at least a game a year).  I understand the travails of the men's program but what's held the women back?  Resources compared to other schools?  Trouble recruiting to the program?  Something else?  I don't hear complaints about Duffy (nor did I about Kieger).  What should our aspirations/expectations be for this program and what's holding them back?

My perception is Women’s basketball is very top heavy, so outside of the top 5 or so programs, the rest have their good years and bad. I’d say Marquette is typically in the hunt for an NCAAT spot or NIT spot.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #987 on: February 10, 2023, 06:03:56 PM »

The Big East isn't a very strong conference for Women's Basketball - it's one reason I couldn't blame Kieger for going to Penn State as the Big Ten is much stronger in Women's Basketball.  To me that's one of the biggest things holding them back.

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #988 on: February 10, 2023, 06:36:13 PM »
The Big East isn't a very strong conference for Women's Basketball - it's one reason I couldn't blame Kieger for going to Penn State as the Big Ten is much stronger in Women's Basketball.  To me that's one of the biggest things holding them back.

Thanks for the responses.  Top heavy (cheebs) and conference strength (MF) sounds like there's not enough top tier talent and MU isn't able to attract enough of it to compete with the best year in and year out.  Only so much we can do about conference strength but would think UCONN has helped tremendously there.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #989 on: February 10, 2023, 06:51:03 PM »
There's also not a lot of fan support - the attendance for the UCONN game wasn't even 3,000.  And in 2019 when they made the top 10 and were on track to host NCAA Tournament games before Erika Davenport tore her ACL, their crowds still weren't the greatest.  And they had two local players in Blockton and Wilborn and Hiedeman was from Green Bay.

New ESPN bracketology came out today and Marquette moved from the very last team in to the first of the last 4 in.  St. John's moved from in the tournament to first 4 out. St. John's is a 1/2 game ahead of Marquette right now at 9-5 while MU is 9-6 - that will be an important game for MU at home on 2/18. Bracketology - https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/30423107/ncaa-women-bracketology-2023-women-college-basketball-projections

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #990 on: February 10, 2023, 10:53:32 PM »

Marquette made the NCAA's the last 3 years of Kieger after two years of building. Less than expected NCAA finishes with those teams.

Marquette would have made the NCAA's the next year under Duffy but it was canceled. They did make it the following year. So that was 5 straight NCAA level seasons over 2 coaches. But they faded a little bit last year to WNIT. Bubble team again this year.

Some assistant coaching turnover at times. A few assistants stayed briefly, only to leave for Power 5 schools.

I think increasing the percentage of annual NCAA Tourneys to almost annually, is an achievable goal. So is winning a little bit in it here and there. Duffy isn't getting paid $600k annually to be a WNIT program.

I also think they can recruit at a little bit of a higher level moving forward.

Some schools in the league aren't committed to fielding competitive Women's hoops prograns.

This past season 8 of the higher seeded teams advanced in the NCAA Tourney first round. Many were double digit seeds.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 10:55:48 PM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #991 on: February 11, 2023, 09:01:37 PM »
Villanova’s Maddie Siegrist had 50 and 10 in a lopsided win over Seton Hall. 20/26 from the field.

And, with that, she set the all time scoring record in the Big East. What a baller.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #992 on: February 18, 2023, 03:53:14 PM »
Two wins this week for MUWBB with 3 to play.

Close road win at Providence and a 61-38 thrashing of NCAA bubble team St. John’s. (20 rebound advantage and 20 assists)

MUWBB has been mostly around the 9 to 11 NCAA seed range.

Home for Creighton who is in that 7 NCAA seed range, at non-competitive Xavier, and home for DePaul before the conference tourney.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #993 on: February 18, 2023, 05:49:34 PM »

Close road win at Providence and a 61-38 thrashing of NCAA bubble team St. John’s. (20 rebound advantage and 20 assists)

Home for Creighton who is in that 7 NCAA seed range, at non-competitive Xavier, and home for DePaul before the conference tourney.

Chloe with a double-double and surpassed the 1000 career point mark.  Jordan King with 24 points.  MU pounded SJU.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #994 on: February 19, 2023, 09:38:18 PM »

I was on an airplane during this game and was nervous after they blew the big lead at Providence and barely held onto win on Wednesday.  I was pleasantly surprised when I landed and got the score alert - I certainly hadn't expected MU to win by such a large margin.

MU is in 4th place now and most likely won't finish any higher than that in the BE.  Creighton is 13-5 to MU's 11-6 in 3rd place currently and Creighton's last game is a very easy one (Butler).  Winning these last 3 would go a long way toward securing an NCAA bid.  Xavier is 0-17 in the BE so they should beat them and that's a game they have to win.  DePaul is down this year but they're a rival and I never consider that a given win.  Hopefully they can sweep them though especially as it's senior day.  The Creighton game could go either way in my opinion.

Charlie Creme has them listed as second in the final four in now and Autumn Johnson had them as an 11 seed and not having to be in a play-in game.  I'd prefer a 10/11 seed to an 8/9 seed.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #995 on: February 22, 2023, 07:48:24 AM »
3 votes AP Poll. 9th team receiving votes.

ESPN (often stingy) Bracketology, last 4 byes or 11 seed. CBS, 9 seed. I’ve seen 7 in some others.

Creighton, 4th non-top 25 team receiving votes. 7 and 8 seed in Bracketology.

(St. John’s, who lost 61-38 to MUWBB, 3 days later defeated UConn.)
7pm. Thursday night, MUWBB hosts Creighton.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #996 on: February 22, 2023, 09:24:23 AM »
3 votes AP Poll. 9th team receiving votes.

ESPN (often stingy) Bracketology, last 4 byes or 11 seed. CBS, 9 seed. I’ve seen 7 in some others.

Creighton, 4th non-top 25 team receiving votes. 7 and 8 seed in Bracketology.

(St. John’s, who lost 61-38 to MUWBB, 3 days later defeated UConn.)
7pm. Thursday night, MUWBB hosts Creighton.

And that St. John’s win was at UCONN too - that really surprised me. 

I didn’t even know CBS did a women’s bracketology.  I hate the 8/9 seed - I’d much prefer an 11 to that.

St. John’s has two very winnable games left and I think they’d hold a tiebreaker over MU if MU loses to Creighton.  I didn’t go past Creighton in the standings trying to figure out a tiebreaker with them.  But in any case if MU wins out in the regular season, they will finish ahead of St. John’s for sure.  Creighton is hard to catch in my mind as they have a very easy last game against Butler that I don’t see them losing.

The game against Creighton is actually tonight.  I had hoped to attend but will have to see what the weather ends up being like - it may end up being a scream at my TV kind of night.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #997 on: February 22, 2023, 09:54:30 AM »
Yep, I meant tonight. There is one Big East friendly bracketology that I didn't include because it wasn't realistic enough.

They have to get in first, so the goal is to keep improving that and get the best seed possible. A bad matchup is better than the WNIT.

Marquette is in a good positiom but they aren't in yet.

It isn't so much as catching Creighton as it is having an additional quality win to move forward on the seed line. Xavier isn't competitive, and DePaul is always a tough game despite their "down" season.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #998 on: February 22, 2023, 11:00:25 AM »
Yep, I meant tonight. There is one Big East friendly bracketology that I didn't include because it wasn't realistic enough.

They have to get in first, so the goal is to keep improving that and get the best seed possible. A bad matchup is better than the WNIT.

Marquette is in a good positiom but they aren't in yet.

It isn't so much as catching Creighton as it is having an additional quality win to move forward on the seed line. Xavier isn't competitive, and DePaul is always a tough game despite their "down" season.

I agree about beating Creighton being a good quality win.  But I was also just looking at where I thought they could finish in the BE.  So 4th is looking like their likely best finish.

Yes I don’t want them in the WNIT but I still hate the 8/9 seeds.

Here’s hoping MU can play well and get the win tonight against Creighton.  Winning at 0-18 Xavier is a must win and in theory is one they should win easily.  And yes DePaul is always tough even though they are having a down year - not taking that game for granted.  Hoping for a big win for Marotta’s senior day for that one.

I believe I read previously that Jordan king plans to use her extra Covid year to come back next season.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #999 on: February 22, 2023, 12:29:54 PM »
I agree about beating Creighton being a good quality win.  But I was also just looking at where I thought they could finish in the BE.  So 4th is looking like their likely best finish.

Yes I don’t want them in the WNIT but I still hate the 8/9 seeds.

Here’s hoping MU can play well and get the win tonight against Creighton.  Winning at 0-18 Xavier is a must win and in theory is one they should win easily.  And yes DePaul is always tough even though they are having a down year - not taking that game for granted.  Hoping for a big win for Marotta’s senior day for that one.

I believe I read previously that Jordan king plans to use her extra Covid year to come back next season.

Yep. Jordan will be back for a 5th season and she will be getting her Masters.

If you don’t like 8/9 seeds which I understand, keep winning and get a better seed than 8/9.

feedback