collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 135174 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #575 on: April 04, 2021, 08:27:38 PM »
Stanford has a lot of depth and balance. They dominated thr boards.

Arizona didn't convert forced turnovers into enough points.

Wilson is a big time defender.

3rd National Title for VanDerveer and Stanford. First since 1992.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #576 on: April 05, 2021, 05:39:01 PM »
Couldn’t they have named the women’s award after Cheryl Miller or Pat Summitt rather than John Wooden?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #577 on: April 05, 2021, 06:33:50 PM »
Couldn’t they have named the women’s award after Cheryl Miller or Pat Summitt rather than John Wooden?

It's given out by the Los Angeles Athletic Club.  I am okay with it.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #578 on: April 05, 2021, 06:39:04 PM »
It's given out by the Los Angeles Athletic Club.  I am okay with it.

That's why I mentioned Cheryl Miller. Isn't she from Los Angeles?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #579 on: April 05, 2021, 06:44:55 PM »

There's already a Cheryl Miller award.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheryl_Miller_Award
Have some patience, FFS.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #580 on: April 05, 2021, 06:46:50 PM »

Why don't they just go ahead and name it the Paige Bueckers award :).  I tease or course - I've never really paid much attention the award names.

I believe Erika Davenport was a nominee for the Cheryl Miller award a few years ago.  There's also a Nancy Lieberman award for point guards.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #581 on: April 05, 2021, 06:49:10 PM »

And maybe they didn’t want to change the name of an award for a UCLA legend...to the name of a legend from their crosstown arch rival?

Also, FWIW, there’s also a men’s outstanding player award that’s named for a woman.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #582 on: April 05, 2021, 11:18:31 PM »
And maybe they didn’t want to change the name of an award for a UCLA legend...to the name of a legend from their crosstown arch rival?

Also, FWIW, there’s also a men’s outstanding player award that’s named for a woman.

First point: That's fair, but I didn't know the Los Angeles Athletic Club was affiliated only with UCLA.

Second point: I did not know that. Which award?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #583 on: April 05, 2021, 11:36:27 PM »
First point: That's fair, but I didn't know the Los Angeles Athletic Club was affiliated only with UCLA.

Second point: I did not know that. Which award?

Not directly, but there’s been long ties between the school and LAAC, including UCLA’s de factor founder being a member.  And obviously the Wooden Award being what it’s most known for these days being centered on the most famous UCLA figure.

The Frances Pomeroy Naismith Award which was given to the best senior 6’0 or under.  But now I see it’s been discontinued, which would make sense why Markus didn’t win last year

MU82

• All American
« Reply #584 on: April 05, 2021, 11:40:28 PM »
Not directly, but there’s been long ties between the school and LAAC, including UCLA’s de factor founder being a member.  And obviously the Wooden Award being what it’s most known for these days being centered on the most famous UCLA figure.

The Frances Pomeroy Naismith Award which was given to the best senior 6’0 or under.  But now I see it’s been discontinued, which would make sense why Markus didn’t win last year

Thanks.

It's hard to believe the folks at the LAAC would be outraged if the men's award was named after Wooden and the women's award was named after Miller or somebody else. But it was just an off-the-top-of-my-head comment; it certainly ain't a hill I'm gonna die on. Wooden forever!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #585 on: April 05, 2021, 11:48:43 PM »
Thanks.

It's hard to believe the folks at the LAAC would be outraged if the men's award was named after Wooden and the women's award was named after Miller or somebody else. But it was just an off-the-top-of-my-head comment; it certainly ain't a hill I'm gonna die on. Wooden forever!

Outraged? Nah,  but silly petty little things like that are sometimes all that’s needed for something not to change unless there is a significant groundswell, which I’ve yet to see.  I think Summitt would make sense

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #586 on: April 06, 2021, 12:36:30 AM »
Outraged? Nah,  but silly petty little things like that are sometimes all that’s needed for something not to change unless there is a significant groundswell, which I’ve yet to see.  I think Summitt would make sense

John Wooden was NPOY as a college student, so it could be argued that this is as much about honoring him as a player as it is about honoring him as a coach.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #587 on: April 06, 2021, 10:22:22 PM »
OK. Mercy. I withdraw my question.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #588 on: April 06, 2021, 11:00:52 PM »
OK. Mercy. I withdraw my question.

I appreciate your sentiment, however.   :)
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #589 on: April 07, 2021, 07:32:25 AM »
So far, not all that many men's basketball seniors are coming back for the extra year the NCAA is offering them due to COVID-19, but all three N.C. State women's basketball seniors — Kai Crutchfield, Kayla Jones, Raina Perez — announced they will return for the extra year.

I haven't followed this closely enough to know whether or not this is the norm for the women's game.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #590 on: April 07, 2021, 08:09:16 AM »
So far, not all that many men's basketball seniors are coming back for the extra year the NCAA is offering them due to COVID-19, but all three N.C. State women's basketball seniors — Kai Crutchfield, Kayla Jones, Raina Perez — announced they will return for the extra year.

I haven't followed this closely enough to know whether or not this is the norm for the women's game.

In my opinion, it isn't gender specific, or basketball specific. It appears to be more about professional athlete prospects and interest or not. Can that Men or Women's hooper, or soccer player or insert sport here leave school early to go pro? leave after Senior year to go pro? Or would their pro prospects improve by staying an additional year? Or are they not considering being a pro athlete, and instead will take that extra free year to help graduate or go to graduate school.

I have seen a wide variety of situations. I have seen one top 10 Women's soccer team for example, return a ton of Seniors for next year's extra year, as all are going to graduate school. One is moving on in life, one is headed to medical school.

Results vary. I think we have seen several Men's hoopers want to go pro whether that is NBA, G League or Internationally instead of staying an additional year. But it isn't one size fits all.

I mentioned in the transfer thread that Brandon Mckissic (Florida) was trying to get his cousin to stay one more year and he may transfer to that school to join him. The cousin already had an all league Senior teammate decide to stay an additional year next year, which surprised some because he could have left to play pro ball somehwere.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 11:57:59 AM by shoothoops »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #591 on: April 07, 2021, 11:55:54 AM »

Actually a lot more men's basketball seniors than I ever would have imagined are at least saying that they are going to use their COVID years.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #592 on: April 07, 2021, 12:06:25 PM »
Actually a lot more men's basketball seniors than I ever would have imagined are at least saying that they are going to use their COVID years.

Why not?  Even if you have some non-NBA pro potential, you might think you can boost your stats next year and get a better job.

Plus, free Masters degree.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 12:13:27 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #593 on: April 07, 2021, 12:08:10 PM »

Really? I admit I haven't been following it all that closely. What are the numbers?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #594 on: April 07, 2021, 12:25:44 PM »
Selena Lott is projected to be taken by the Indiana Fever early in the third round of next week’s WNBA draft.  She looks to be the 4th MU player ever drafted.  Unfortunately the odds are against her making a team if she’s not drafted until the third round.  There are a lot of second round picks who don’t make teams.  Natidha Hiedeman is the only MU player to play in the WNBA so far.  Former player Nicki (Taggart) Collen does coach in the league though.

And former MU coach Jim Jabir is set to return to Siena where he coached in the late 80’s before coming to MU.  He was there when Mike Deane was also at Siena as I recall.  Jabir took MU to the NCAA tournament for the first time ever in 1994 and they went again in 1995.  He was something like 8-20 his last season here but had a stellar recruiting class coming in for 96-97 that his former assistant Terri Mitchell then coached.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #595 on: April 07, 2021, 12:33:06 PM »
Really? I admit I haven't been following it all that closely. What are the numbers?

There's around 350 COVID seniors currently in the transfer portal. I don't know numbers for COVID seniors who are electing to stay at their current schools but there have been several schools like Xavier and Providence who are keeping entire senior classes. I'd imagine there are even more at lower levels as the players have less professional options
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #596 on: April 07, 2021, 01:05:51 PM »
There's around 350 COVID seniors currently in the transfer portal. I don't know numbers for COVID seniors who are electing to stay at their current schools but there have been several schools like Xavier and Providence who are keeping entire senior classes. I'd imagine there are even more at lower levels as the players have less professional options

Interesting. Thanks.

Given all that, it makes perfect sense why many women's players would want another season.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #597 on: April 07, 2021, 06:54:22 PM »
Nice little Wednesday for Arizona Women's Basketball Head Coach Adia Barnes. She gets a raise and extension, as well as a transfer commitment from forward Koi Love (Vanderbilt's best player, 21 and 10 as a Sophomore) in the Transfer portal.

Barnes gets a 5 year extension. Her average jumps to "only" $669K with thr raise and extension. When she started there years ago she was making $216K. It still puts her well below some of the higher profile Women's coaches. Kelly Graves at Oregon $1 Million, Geno Auriemma UConn $2.4  Million, Kim Mularkey Baylor $2.27 Million, Dawn Staley South Carolina $1.6 Million.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #598 on: April 07, 2021, 07:21:58 PM »
Nice little Wednesday for Arizona Women's Basketball Head Coach Adia Barnes. She gets a raise and extension, as well as a transfer commitment from forward Koi Love (Vanderbilt's best player, 21 and 10 as a Sophomore) in the Transfer portal.

Barnes gets a 5 year extension. Her average jumps to "only" $669K with thr raise and extension. When she started there years ago she was making $216K. It still puts her well below some of the higher profile Women's coaches. Kelly Graves at Oregon $1 Million, Geno Auriemma UConn $2.4  Million, Kim Mularkey Baylor $2.27 Million, Dawn Staley South Carolina $1.6 Million.

I'm very happy for Adia Barnes - great to see her doing well at her alma mater.  This was a nice article about her being a working Mom also:

https://sports.yahoo.com/adia-barnes-arizona-coach-ncaa-tournament-mom-baby-daughter-031353169.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAKQ3GEHcsAS8Rb15Hsye_PTNS2tkvk6t8GNTZiFVnEiGPE8O7j-SMrIBEwZaUyk10BlD6QRX3ixklh_VA_e6EZUe3etTy85ZyuCaOuLGkX39U_35vLgS_IREdxdGkYAgXWmRiNZo9b8oCleOzxUz1arkIV671XrRtRm28B1rt9W7

I think the NCAA made a poor decision in making Coaches' kids count toward the teams' travel allotments in the bubble.  Each team was only allowed 34 total players/staff.  Barnes's husband is an assistant coach and her youngest daughter was still nursing so it's not like she could have left her kids home if she wanted to.  And then she had to decide what staff members not to bring so her kids could come.  I read about an assistant coach who needed to bring along her young infant who was still nursing and her husband came along to help with the baby and that mean two managers couldn't come along.  Hopefully there won't be another need for a bubble in the tournament but the NCAA needs to consider more the needs of working mothers who coach in the future. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #599 on: April 08, 2021, 04:16:55 PM »

feedback