[Today at 10:43:30 AM]

NCSTATE is evil by tower912
[Today at 10:37:58 AM]

Where is Marquette? by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 121214 times)

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #600 on: April 08, 2021, 06:50:38 PM »
Former Marquette assistant Ginny Boggess is the new head coach at Monmouth University:

https://monmouthhawks.com/news/2021/4/8/womens-basketball-ginny-boggess-named-head-womens-basketball-coach.aspx

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #601 on: April 09, 2021, 12:39:52 PM »
Scott Merritt returns to the state becoming assistant coach at UW for new coach Marisa Moseley - the release says he will be associate head coach.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #602 on: April 09, 2021, 01:22:12 PM »
Scott Merritt returns to the state becoming assistant coach at UW for new coach Marisa Moseley - the release says he will be associate head coach.

Wow. Complete betrayal of all things Marquette stands for!
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #603 on: April 09, 2021, 01:25:00 PM »
Wow. Complete betrayal of all things Marquette stands for!

Devoting time to the poor and downtrodden is the type of service Marquette values.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #604 on: April 09, 2021, 01:27:56 PM »

Devoting time to the poor and downtrodden is the type of service Marquette values.

Lol nice
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #605 on: April 11, 2021, 12:11:07 PM »
Selena Lott is projected to be taken by the Indiana Fever early in the third round of next week’s WNBA draft.  She looks to be the 4th MU player ever drafted.  Unfortunately the odds are against her making a team if she’s not drafted until the third round.  There are a lot of second round picks who don’t make teams.  Natidha Hiedeman is the only MU player to play in the WNBA so far.  Former player Nicki (Taggart) Collen does coach in the league though.

And former MU coach Jim Jabir is set to return to Siena where he coached in the late 80’s before coming to MU.  He was there when Mike Deane was also at Siena as I recall.  Jabir took MU to the NCAA tournament for the first time ever in 1994 and they went again in 1995.  He was something like 8-20 his last season here but had a stellar recruiting class coming in for 96-97 that his former assistant Terri Mitchell then coached.

Jabir had a brief run at MUWBB that included three good seasons. He overlapped K.O. at Marquette.
Kristen Maskala, Goerlitz, Romeiser etc in the back court. I believe Lori Goerlitz and Courtney Romeiser are still on the all time 3 point lists. Kerri Reeves, Christine Kennedy, Steph Krumrei etc..others..some nice teams MUWBB hadn’t really had much of before.

Steph’s daughter Caroline (Dragani) is on the Marquette Women’s Volleyball team. She was a mid year transfer after leading the Big Sky Conference setters as a Freshman at Portland State. She has a younger sister too that’s an up and coming volleyball player. Their older brother Ben was a former Wisconsin baseball gatorade player of the year and Freshman All American at Michigan. He’s trying to get back from injury. He was in the mix for #2 or or #3 starter on their College World Series team that lost in the Finals to Vandy but he had to injury redshirt. No hoopers like their parents. Steph Krumrei and Pat Dragani are two of the nicer people I have ever known from Marquette.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #606 on: April 11, 2021, 05:51:46 PM »
Oh no - this is not good news :(.  I thought Taylor had great potential and was looking forward to seeing her play a couple more years:

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1381376334950236161

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #607 on: April 11, 2021, 06:02:44 PM »
Jabir had a brief run at MUWBB that included three good seasons. He overlapped K.O. at Marquette.
Kristen Maskala, Goerlitz, Romeiser etc in the back court. I believe Lori Goerlitz and Courtney Romeiser are still on the all time 3 point lists. Kerri Reeves, Christine Kennedy, Steph Krumrei etc..others..some nice teams MUWBB hadn’t really had much of before.

Steph’s daughter Caroline (Dragani) is on the Marquette Women’s Volleyball team. She was a mid year transfer after leading the Big Sky Conference setters as a Freshman at Portland State. She has a younger sister too that’s an up and coming volleyball player. Their older brother Ben was a former Wisconsin baseball gatorade player of the year and Freshman All American at Michigan. He’s trying to get back from injury. He was in the mix for #2 or or #3 starter on their College World Series team that lost in the Finals to Vandy but he had to injury redshirt. No hoopers like their parents. Steph Krumrei and Pat Dragani are two of the nicer people I have ever known from Marquette.

Mike Deane came to Marquette in 1994 when Jabir was still there.

I believe Lori Goerlitz's 3 point record was just broken recently by Natisha Hiedeman.  Kristin Maskala would have had the all-time scoring mark by a lot had she played here all 3 seasons (spent first season at DePaul).  Kennedy/Reeves/Goerlitz were all 1,000 point scorers and key players as you mention.  Jabir had recruited a pretty good class before he left that Mitchell took over - Ayesha Rembert (left for UCLA after one year), Abbie Willenborg, Lisa Oldenburg and Kiesha Oliver (there was one more player that year too I think in that recruiting classs but my memory is failing me right now).

I remember Steph Krumrei and also remember watching her sister Stacy play for DePaul later and I know Stacy married one of Doug Bruno's sons later.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #608 on: April 11, 2021, 06:48:33 PM »
Oh no - this is not good news :(.  I thought Taylor had great potential and was looking forward to seeing her play a couple more years:

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1381376334950236161

This would be unfortunate. We'll have to see what happens.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #609 on: April 11, 2021, 07:19:20 PM »
This would be unfortunate. We'll have to see what happens.

I am used to seeing tweets from this person after players have entered the portal and this sounds like it hasn't happened yet - would be nice if she really doesn't end up entering the transfer portal.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #610 on: April 12, 2021, 01:48:05 PM »
It’s official :(.  Cam Taylor tweeted out today that she is entering the transfer portal:  https://twitter.com/cam_24tay/status/1381678495437324296
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 05:24:11 PM by Marquette Fan »

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #611 on: April 13, 2021, 07:37:27 AM »
I wonder what caused her to enter the Transfer  Portal ???   

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #612 on: April 13, 2021, 08:12:13 AM »
UConn assistant Shea Ralph is expected to be the new Head Coach at Vandy. Her husband Tom Garrick, a former Vandy assistant, is expected to join her too.

Some of the other finalists included U Cincinnati Head Coach Michelle Clark-Heard, Oregon assistant Mark Campbell (his wife is former Vandy hooper, Ashley Smith), Tennessee assistant Lacey Goldwire.

Vandy's AD is a former Vandy Women's hooper (2 time Elite 8) and did her own search with staff.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 09:21:04 AM by shoothoops »

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #613 on: April 13, 2021, 09:28:05 AM »
I wonder what caused her to enter the Transfer  Portal ???

Maybe LVK's return!?!

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #614 on: April 13, 2021, 10:52:19 AM »
UConn assistant Shea Ralph is expected to be the new Head Coach at Vandy. Her husband Tom Garrick, a former Vandy assistant, is expected to join her too.

Some of the other finalists included U Cincinnati Head Coach Michelle Clark-Heard, Oregon assistant Mark Campbell (his wife is former Vandy hooper, Ashley Smith), Tennessee assistant Lacey Goldwire.

Vandy's AD is a former Vandy Women's hooper (2 time Elite 8) and did her own search with staff.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #615 on: April 13, 2021, 08:30:27 PM »
Maybe LVK's return!?!

It's not like LVK returning would have cost her any playing time though - they were both starters the whole 21-22 season.  I don't know if Duffy knew Taylor might be leaving when she got the transfers - one transfer is a post player.  It will be interesting to me to see where she ends up.  But I wish her the best in the future.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #616 on: April 14, 2021, 07:00:59 PM »
Tommorrow night is the WNBA draft starting at 6P central on ESPN.  Marquette's Selena Lott is projected to be picked by the Indiana Fever early in the 3rd round in ESPN's latest mock draft:

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/31253949/wnba-mock-draft-2021-version-50-three-point-guards-projected-top-eight-picks

I'm looking forward to watching the draft tomorrow night and hopefully hearing Lott's name at some point.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #617 on: April 14, 2021, 09:12:37 PM »
Former Marquette Assistant Jennie Baranczyk (Lillis) was hired as the new Oklahoma Coach replacing Sheri Coale who recently retired - https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31230553/oklahoma-sooners-hire-drake-bulldogs-jennie-baranczyk-succeed-sherri-coale-women-basketball-coach

Baranczyk leaves her hometown of DesMoines where she had been the Drake head coach for awhile and she had played collegiately at Iowa.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #618 on: April 15, 2021, 06:40:48 PM »
A reminder that the WNBA draft is going on now and is on ESPN - Selena Lott is projected to get picked in the 3rd round.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #619 on: April 16, 2021, 12:55:14 PM »
Undrafted, Selena Lott signed a WNBA training camp deal with Minnesota.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #620 on: April 16, 2021, 01:16:53 PM »
Does WNBA draftees/players have the same gravitas in recruiting that it does on the men's side? I mean now that MU's got a WNBA player, and potentially a second if training camp goes well, does that start to turn into a bump in recruiting?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #621 on: April 17, 2021, 08:17:22 AM »
Does WNBA draftees/players have the same gravitas in recruiting that it does on the men's side? I mean now that MU's got a WNBA player, and potentially a second if training camp goes well, does that start to turn into a bump in recruiting?

I think it can for some programs that have had a lot of players go onto the WNBA.  But I'm not sure how much difference it makes for MU with one player in the WNBA so far.

And while I'm happy that Lott will have a chance to try out for a team, it will be really hard for her to make a final roster.  It's hard for a lot of draft picks even to make a team.  And Hiedeman was cut just before the season as a 2nd round pick herself two years ago.  She did get signed later by Atlanta on a 10 day contract where she never played and then Connecticut decided to release a player and sign her during the season.  She took advantage of that opportunity then and has stayed in the league since then.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #622 on: April 20, 2021, 08:44:50 PM »
The 'other Taylor' is transferring also - Taylor Valladay announced on Instagram that she's entering the transfer portal:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN6MrykHUhR/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I thought she had a nice year and her loss will hurt just as Cam Taylor transferring also hurts.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #623 on: April 23, 2021, 05:44:18 PM »
Former Marquette assistant Ashley Earley (2010-2012), more recently on Carolyn Kieger’s staff at Penn St., will join Shea Ralph’s staff at Vandy. (She’s a former All American player at Vandy)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 05:47:20 PM by shoothoops »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #624 on: April 23, 2021, 08:51:40 PM »
Former Marquette assistant Ashley Earley (2010-2012), more recently on Carolyn Kieger’s staff at Penn St., will join Shea Ralph’s staff at Vandy. (She’s a former All American player at Vandy)

I could see her wanting to go back to her Alma Mater but she sure has coached at a lot of different schools.  She's now back at Vanderbilt for a second time and here are the other schools she's been at from the Vandy release: 

An assistant at Penn State for the past two seasons, Earley also has coaching stops at Northern Kentucky (2017-19), Virginia (2012-13), Marquette (2010-12), Rhode Island (2009-10), Tennessee Tech (2007-09) and Alabama (2006-07).