collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 135347 times)

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #800 on: February 25, 2022, 11:29:37 AM »
Nice to see Paige Bueckers returning for UConn tonight. The day of that injury, it looked like she might be done for the season.

Along with Aliyah Boston and Caitlin Clark, Bueckers is one of my favorite to watch play. So much talent and energy.

I watched a bit of both of them last night.  SC game was a blowout but enjoyed seeing the honoring of Gary Blair.  Clark took over in a close game versus Rutgers to lead Iowa to victory.  Michigan-Iowa Sunday should be a good game although I will miss it while at the MU game.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #801 on: February 26, 2022, 07:52:03 AM »
Before yesterday's games, Charlie Creme's bracketology had only 2 BE teams going dancing - UCONN and Creighton.  DePaul was one of the first 4 teams out and Villanova one of the next four out. DePaul didn't help themselves at all losing to Seton Hall at home last night and finish tomorrow with a tough game at Creighton.  Villanova has a chance to finish second in the conference and maybe with a good BET run can get NCAA consideration - they were without superstar Maddie Siegrist for some of their early losses so the selection committee may take that into consideration and they do have the win at UCONN.  Villanova only played UCONN once this season as their postponed home contest with them was never made up.  UCONN will actually finish 3 league games short of the 20 total.  Creighton, DePaul, Marquette and Providence are the only teams that will finish with the full 20 league games if my calculations were correct.  Short of an automatic bid with a BET win which is extremely unlikely to happen, Marquette is not going to the NCAA Tournament this season.  But I'd like to see more than 2 BE teams go dancing.

Marquette sits at 5th in the BE at 12-7.  With a win tomorrow at home against St. John's they assure themselves a 5th place finish and first round BET bye.  They would tie with DePaul for 4th if MU wins and DePaul loses tomorrow but it looks like they'd lose any tiebreakers with DePaul.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #802 on: February 26, 2022, 08:40:59 AM »
Don't forget: All of you MU BB fans going to the NMD game on Sat, your tix allow you to go the the MU Ladies BB game on Sun @ The Al, for FREE ! ! !  Lets Fill the AL and support our Lady Warriors ! ! !  GO WARRIORS ! ! !  8-)

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #803 on: February 26, 2022, 09:30:45 PM »
Get there early tomorrow - they are doing the senior day ceremonies before the game.  I much prefer when they do it after the game but nobody asked my opinion about it :).

I read earlier today that Chloe Marotta is coming back for another Covid year next season.  And then I read in an email tonight that the senior day ceremonies will honor Karissa McLaughlin, LVK and Antwainette Walker.  I knew McLaughlin and LVK were done after this season but was a little surprised to see Walker listed as she's a junior on the roster. 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #804 on: February 27, 2022, 09:55:05 PM »
MU escapes against St. John's 79-75 and finishes 5th in the Big East.  They'll face 4 seed DePaul in the first round of the BET on Saturday.  The full bracket won't be known until Tuesday when Seton Hall and Xavier play a makeup game:

https://www.bigeast.com/news/2022/2/27/womens-basketball-bigeastwbb-minute-nine-teams-close-out-the-regular-season.aspx

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #805 on: March 03, 2022, 09:27:29 PM »
Congrats to LVK and Chloe Marotta for some BE honors:

https://www.bigeast.com/news/2022/3/3/villanovas-siegrist-named-big-east-womens-basketball-player-of-the-year.aspx

I can't help but think of how proud Chloe's Dad would be - sad that he didn't get to see her or Cam play for Marquette.

First day of the BET tomorrow - curious to see if Butler fires their coach or not as their season is sure to end tomorrow against Seton Hall - they won one game all season and lost all their BE games.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #806 on: March 05, 2022, 03:11:34 PM »
Hang on Warriors!!!

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #807 on: March 05, 2022, 03:24:16 PM »
WOOOHOOO! ! !  Hang 100+ on Bruno andDePaul  WOW !!!!

• All American
« Reply #808 on: March 05, 2022, 03:26:05 PM »
Box says 49-17 rebounding advantage.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #809 on: March 05, 2022, 06:12:08 PM »
Box says 49-17 rebounding advantage.

And Morrow’s long streak of consecutive double doubles ended today.

Incredible performance by MU today.  Near the end of the game one of the commentators said Duffy said in a phone call this week MU doesn’t win if the game is in the 90’s.  But it worked out pretty well scoring over 100 for MU 😀.

Another career high for Liza Karlen - she had a nice second half of the season.

A very tough game against UCONN awaits them tomorrow but for today we can celebrate this great win over DePaul - it’s always nice to beat them. 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #810 on: March 12, 2022, 12:59:16 PM »
Marquette recruit Emily LaChapell is playing in the Div 1 state final tonight - her Appleton East squad will take on Kettle Moraine.  From a preview article before they played Brookfield East in the semi's:

The Marquette commit leads the team with 20.5 points, 7.2 rebounds and 5.3 assists per game, while shooting 55% from the field.

https://www.gmtoday.com/the_freeman/sports/can-t-stop-the-spartans/article_734bdbda-a074-11ec-bee4-2bbbc5629362.html

« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 08:24:11 PM by Marquette Fan »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #811 on: March 12, 2022, 09:32:41 PM »
Speaking of the state tournament, former Marquette player Krystal Ellis was one of the refs for the Div 2 final:

https://twitter.com/travisWSN/status/1502808659126104064

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #812 on: March 13, 2022, 07:39:05 PM »
4 Big East Women’s Basketball Team made the NCAA Tournament.

Connecticut
Creighton
DePaul
Villanova

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #813 on: March 13, 2022, 07:57:52 PM »
4 Big East Women’s Basketball Team made the NCAA Tournament.

Connecticut
Creighton
DePaul
Villanova

I can't believe DePaul made it but it's good for the BE that they got 4 teams in.  Marquette now gets the automatic WNIT bid for the BE although they would have made it anyway.  And now I wait for the WNIT bracket to come out - I'd imagine there's a good chance MU will host a game.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #814 on: March 13, 2022, 08:28:08 PM »
Marquette is officially in the WNIT but we have to wait until tomorrow to find out who they play and date/location/time.

WNIT teams - https://womensnit.com/news/2022/3/13/general-2022-postseason-wnit-field-announced.aspx

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #815 on: March 14, 2022, 01:31:37 PM »
Marquette will host Ball State, at 7pm Central Time Wednesday, in the first round of the WNIT.

• All American
« Reply #816 on: March 14, 2022, 06:53:22 PM »
Marquette recruit Emily LaChapell is playing in the Div 1 state final tonight - her Appleton East squad will take on Kettle Moraine.  From a preview article before they played Brookfield East in the semi's:

The Marquette commit leads the team with 20.5 points, 7.2 rebounds and 5.3 assists per game, while shooting 55% from the field.

https://www.gmtoday.com/the_freeman/sports/can-t-stop-the-spartans/article_734bdbda-a074-11ec-bee4-2bbbc5629362.html

So what happened?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #817 on: March 14, 2022, 07:44:17 PM »
So what happened?

Kettle Moraine won the game. 69-53. LaChapell had 19 in the loss.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #818 on: March 16, 2022, 08:01:52 AM »
Anyone going to Marquette vs Ball State, at 7pmToday @ the AL, For the first round of the WNIT???  WE will be there.. Only $10 for RESERVED Seats and $5 Gen Admission ! ! ! Come cheer on our Lady Warriors ! ! !  8-)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #819 on: March 16, 2022, 08:27:10 PM »
Ladies up 18 at the end of 3
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #820 on: March 16, 2022, 09:08:10 PM »
+21 on the boards. Well done!

DePaul finishing their season with a thud.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #821 on: March 16, 2022, 09:58:19 PM »
+21 on the boards. Well done!

DePaul finishing their season with a thud.

And they get to host Purdue on Monday - nice to get another home game.

Yeah DePaul looks like a team that should not have made the NCAA Tournament

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #822 on: March 18, 2022, 12:02:27 PM »
I know some here are familiar with Lisa Stone, former Wisconsin and Eau Claire Head Coach. She was let go at SLU today after 10 seasons.

She had a D-3 power at Eau Claire, a quick Sweet 16 run at Drake in a couple of seasons, then had mostly a solid WNIT program at Wisconsin. Wisconsin’s last NCAA appearance is with Stone. And they have struggled in a big way ever since she left.

She was hired at SLU when Majerus was the Men’s coach. And her results were roughly similar to what they were at Wisconsin. Her team made 4 of the last 6 WNIT’s, won a regular season league title.

She’s a good coach, not a great recruiter, very well liked as a person, known for consistent stability. High floor, low ceiling for many years now at her last two stops. Their team had a bit of roster turnover and instability along with some tough break injuries that knocked them out of NCAA Tourney contention, during the pandemic. I know the roster turnover was an issue as that had been one of her previous strengths.

The reaction will be met with mixed reviews, as she has been well liked by other coaches, players, admin and fans, and she has been solid for a program with very little previous history or support. She did a nice job getting it to the next level. But many want to elevate their program a little higher to more NCAA level as opposed to WNIT level, and, they decided to make a change. It’s a different place now in terms of admin, board, resources, facilities, etc..

« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 01:11:29 PM by shoothoops »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #823 on: March 18, 2022, 01:19:21 PM »
Five paragraphs on the mediocre SLU women's coach in the MU Women's basketball topic.  ::)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #824 on: March 18, 2022, 01:23:00 PM »
Five paragraphs on the mediocre SLU women's coach in the MU Women's basketball topic.  ::)

Lisa Stone should have had Yadier Molina give some speeches
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback